Conflicting modification?

I have been using Evernote on my Mac, iPhone and Windows for over a year now, and I never had any problems, but for some reason in the last week or so I have been getting so many "Conflicting modification" some of the Notes are not getting saved, some of them are duplicated because of "Conflicting modification"....I am not using Evernote differently....so what is ussualy main reason for "Conflicting modification"?

Thanks

• Level 5*

I too have noticed more problems with Evernote. In the over two years I have been using Evernote, I had never lost any data until recently. I think it is mostly a problem with the EN iOS clients:

• The Notes in EN iOS are incorrectly put into edit mode when just viewing/scrolling/swiping
  • This triggers the note update process, which then can conflict with note changes on EN Mac, and other clients.

For more info, see:

BUG: EN iPhone 4.3 Sync Failure Results in Loss of Data

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Is this a Mac problem?

I thought I had weeded these out (I reported it a few times in the forums already), but I just discovered a conflicting modification from last month : "Conflicting modification on September 24, 2012, 20:42:50:" I really hope that Evernote reconsiders this policy of making changes to the content of my notes. If there is a sync conflict, then I am fine with a conflict notebook, because then I know about it, and I can deal with it then. Now, I have to read through lengthy notes and try to use the "find Waldo" method of looking for inconsistencies between the two and figuring out which is "right." This really annoying behavior by the app (just the Mac?) stretches from July 27 (Conflicting modification on July 27, 2012 6:16:07 AM) to September 24.

I am hoping that the experiment with this funky feature is over, but I have a few hours yet of sorting through my notes to figure out what is what. I am not exaggerating here, by the way. One of my notes has 154,690 words (approximately double its original content because of this funky feature) and I am going to have to comb through all of that to figure out where things went wrong. I wish I would have discovered this sooner :(

The takeaway from this? I think the experiment is probably over, and we don't have to worry about it happening again. However, I recommend users do a search using quotes for "Conflicting modification on" in order to make sure they have caught all of these.

• 5 months later...

So, I just had the dreaded "conflicting modification" between my laptop and my iPhone.

I totally undestand how this can happen.  But, my issue is the fact that "both" the update in my laptop AND my iphone are gone.  It's bad enough that the timestamp of the last mod didn't win, but why give me absolutely zero in this scenario?  What's the use case for that?

I have searched both the phone and the laptop for any further notes that might have been generated as a result of the conflict, but can't find any. 

This seems like very poor design. 

Please tell me I am missing something..

• 6 months later...

Well, sorry Jackolicious but my super lenghty note is now gone! I had a page and a half of notes that just vanished to "Conflicting modification on". That's it! No date, timestamp or anything after the "on". Just that.

I also searched for a notebook with "confli" in the name but none showed up. What can I do? I really needed that note!!! Help?

Well, sorry Jackolicious but my super lenghty note is now gone! I had a page and a half of notes that just vanished to "Conflicting modification on". That's it! No date, timestamp or anything after the "on". Just that.

I also searched for a notebook with "confli" in the name but none showed up. What can I do? I really needed that note!!! Help?

This is a users board. If you want support, you should submit a support ticket. (See my sig.)

• 7 months later...

GOAL: Type notes on a computer, and have them sync'ed with iPhone & iPad -- so additions don't overwrite existing text, but simply add new information.

I lost some notes in the past so am now trying to solve the problem. I use a MacAir computer iOS 10.9.3, iPad 7.1.1 & iPhone 7.1.1 and share my computers/devices and Evernote with no one. (Evernote software on MacAir is latest I am able to get 5.5.1 consisting of 181.8 MB) I am only working with text: no photos or other media.

On my MacAir, within a note I typed: Testing. Then I sync'ed before closing it.

Turned on my iPhone, and horray! The syncing now matched.

Thinking I was in the clear, I sync'ed my iPad and received a "conflicting modification" note.

I understand I have to sync each devise when finishing a note. I've searched "conflicting modification" and find others discussing issue, but not to my point. Have spent about 30 minutes every couple weeks for months trying to solve problem, thus have stopped using Evernote. Loved everything about it until this problem occurred -- which apparently still exists in Premium. (Used to be tech journalist so understand about client & server and needing to sync up when finishing note addition on a particular device.)

• 7 months later...

Like many of the users who have already posted, I occasionally discover a giant note which consists of the original note, and several copies of the entire note appended to the bottom of the original note, each separated by a "Conflicting Modification" and a date and time stamp. One note I discovered today had seven copies of the entire note; six of them had an identical date and time stamp.

So far, the posts by Evernote people (BurgersNFries, Jackolicious) have been remarkably unhelpful: "you should have a new notebook ..."  "submit a support ticket (see my sig.)  ??

I checked the Knowledge Base, and searched for "conflicting modification" and got one hit:

Edit anyway

Note: This feature is currently available on Evernote for Windows and Evernote for Mac

If the option is available, and you choose to select “Edit anyway," Evernote creates a duplicate note with any edits made. This duplicate note is automatically saved to a notebook named “Conflicting Changes...” along with a unique timestamp. Users are responsible for determining which changes they would like to keep or discard.

Nothing about conflicting modifications, added automatically and with no notice, by Evernote, to the original note.

So, would someone who has looked into this (and someone has to have looked into it, people have been complaining about it for years), someone who works for Evernote, please lay out the problem and the solution?

I have spent months (and I'm still not done) converting my notes and tasks from Toodle Do to Evernote, but this surprise note proliferation is approaching unacceptable. I so do not want to migrate all this date yet again to another note & task platform.

Please tell me 1) why it happens, 2) how to prevent it, 3) how to tell which note is the most current, and/or inclusive, so I can delete the rest, and 4) why doesn't my version of Evernote create this new notebook which contains the conflicting note?

Thanks in advance,

Maurice

• Level 5*

I would also like to request that an Evernote employee address this issue and the questions asked by @manrice in the below quote.  This is a very serious issue where we could unknowingly have conflicting Notes without any clear warning from Evernote.

Nothing about conflicting modifications, added automatically and with no notice, by Evernote, to the original note.

So, would someone who has looked into this (and someone has to have looked into it, people have been complaining about it for years), someone who works for Evernote, please lay out the problem and the solution?

I have spent months (and I'm still not done) converting my notes and tasks from Toodle Do to Evernote, but this surprise note proliferation is approaching unacceptable. I so do not want to migrate all this date yet again to another note & task platform.

Please tell me 1) why it happens, 2) how to prevent it, 3) how to tell which note is the most current, and/or inclusive, so I can delete the rest, and 4) why doesn't my version of Evernote create this new notebook which contains the conflicting note?

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like to request that an Evernote employee address this issue and the questions asked by @manrice in the below quote.  This is a very serious issue where we could unknowingly have conflicting Notes without any clear warning from Evernote.

I agree this is a major problem, I have one note with 29 "Conflicting modification" lines with parts of the note replicated.  They all are tagged with the same time.  

I would like Evernote to explain the different conflict techniques and how to work with them.  I have identified 3: 1. Create a duplicate note and put "Note Conflict" in the subject, 2. Create a note in the Conflicting Changes folder, 3. Add "Conflicting Modification" line in the note and replicate part of the note within the note.  There may be more I am not aware of, I only realized #2 and 3 recently.  The documentation is very vague on all of these topics.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully this is not redundant.  I have the same issue.  After spending the better part of the mornign researching this I believe the EN note appendage "Conflicting modification on ..." is due to a specific EN note being changed on one device, then closing the device without having EN synch.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have yet to try this.  Apparently the only solution is to:

1. Synch the first device

2. Correct any conflicts on the Primary note

3. Erase the "Conflicting modification" note appendages

4. Synch the first device

5. Rince, Repeat for the remaining devices.

This seems incredibly time-consuming and exceptionally unecessary as I do not recall any messages warning me that I had not synched a device.  Hopefully my attemot at this solution will work.  I will follow up if it is successful.

• Level 5*

@GezaB:  I think those are good steps IF the conflicting notification is WITHIN a single note.

As @JohnnyH descirbed above, there is another type of conflicting notification that creates a new LOCAL Notebook named "Conflicting Changes..."

To deal with conflicting Notes, you need to compare (1) the Note in the Conflicting Changes notebook with (2) the original Note:

• Determine which one you want to keep
  • Delete the Note you do NOT want to keep (it will be moved to your EN Trash)
  • If you decided to keep the Note in the Conflicting Changes notebook, move it to the original Notebook, and then delete the Conflicting Changes Notebook
  • Optionally, you can merge the two Notes using copy/paste

Of course you should do a MANUAL sync as soon as you have completed your review and changes.

Then do a manual sync on all other devices to make sure the updated Note is sync'd.

• 2 years later...

Hi all.

I've been getting this problem since I upgraded to Evernote Version 6.12.1 (455453 Direct) last week. The problem is persistent. I'm a premium user.

While I'm writing a note in a notebook, there is a sync conflict issue. It keeps creating new notebooks with names like "conflict..." something. I've disabled sync by changing the setting to "manual", but the problem keeps recurring. Its very annoying and making the software unusable. What do I do?

5 hours ago, AyushSharma said:

Hi all.

I've been getting this problem since I upgraded to Evernote Version 6.12.1 (455453 Direct) last week. The problem is persistent. I'm a premium user.

While I'm writing a note in a notebook, there is a sync conflict issue. It keeps creating new notebooks with names like "conflict..." something. I've disabled sync by changing the setting to "manual", but the problem keeps recurring. Its very annoying and making the software unusable. What do I do?

Same here man! This syncing issue happens way too often. Some bug on the new version.

Archived