Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Mac

Conflicting modification?

evernote ios

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dusan

Dusan

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:22 AM

I have been using Evernote on my Mac, iPhone and Windows for over a year now, and I never had any problems, but for some reason in the last week or so I have been getting so many "Conflicting modification" some of the Notes are not getting saved, some of them are duplicated because of "Conflicting modification"....I am not using Evernote differently....so what is ussualy main reason for "Conflicting modification"?

Thanks

#2 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:11 AM

I too have noticed more problems with Evernote. In the over two years I have been using Evernote, I had never lost any data until recently. I think it is mostly a problem with the EN iOS clients:
  • The Notes in EN iOS are incorrectly put into edit mode when just viewing/scrolling/swiping
  • This triggers the note update process, which then can conflict with note changes on EN Mac, and other clients.
For more info, see:
BUG: EN iPhone 4.3 Sync Failure Results in Loss of Data

#3 Dusan

Dusan

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:44 AM

Now when I think I would say that my problems is when i am goign between iPhone and Mac, or iPhone and Windows.....I never had problems when going between Mac and Windows.

#4 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,211 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Is this a Mac problem?

I thought I had weeded these out (I reported it a few times in the forums already), but I just discovered a conflicting modification from last month : "Conflicting modification on September 24, 2012, 20:42:50:" I really hope that Evernote reconsiders this policy of making changes to the content of my notes. If there is a sync conflict, then I am fine with a conflict notebook, because then I know about it, and I can deal with it then. Now, I have to read through lengthy notes and try to use the "find Waldo" method of looking for inconsistencies between the two and figuring out which is "right." This really annoying behavior by the app (just the Mac?) stretches from July 27 (Conflicting modification on July 27, 2012 6:16:07 AM) to September 24.

I am hoping that the experiment with this funky feature is over, but I have a few hours yet of sorting through my notes to figure out what is what. I am not exaggerating here, by the way. One of my notes has 154,690 words (approximately double its original content because of this funky feature) and I am going to have to comb through all of that to figure out where things went wrong. I wish I would have discovered this sooner :(

The takeaway from this? I think the experiment is probably over, and we don't have to worry about it happening again. However, I recommend users do a search using quotes for "Conflicting modification on" in order to make sure they have caught all of these.

#5 dhansel

dhansel

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

So, I just had the dreaded "conflicting modification" between my laptop and my iPhone.

I totally undestand how this can happen.  But, my issue is the fact that "both" the update in my laptop AND my iphone are gone.  It's bad enough that the timestamp of the last mod didn't win, but why give me absolutely zero in this scenario?  What's the use case for that?

I have searched both the phone and the laptop for any further notes that might have been generated as a result of the conflict, but can't find any. 

This seems like very poor design. 

Please tell me I am missing something..

#6 Jackolicious

Jackolicious

• Title: Desktop Products
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

You should have a new notebook with the conflict on your mac client. If you can't find it, a search should turn it up. Either way, no data should be lost.

My TwitterCheck out our Knowledgebase  our guides here: Mac or Windows. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#7 Grümpf

Grümpf

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Well, sorry Jackolicious but my super lenghty note is now gone! I had a page and a half of notes that just vanished to "Conflicting modification on". That's it! No date, timestamp or anything after the "on". Just that.

I also searched for a notebook with "confli" in the name but none showed up. What can I do? I really needed that note!!! Help?

#8 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,158 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

Well, sorry Jackolicious but my super lenghty note is now gone! I had a page and a half of notes that just vanished to "Conflicting modification on". That's it! No date, timestamp or anything after the "on". Just that.
I also searched for a notebook with "confli" in the name but none showed up. What can I do? I really needed that note!!! Help?

This is a users board. If you want support, you should submit a support ticket. (See my sig.)
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mac, evernote, ios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote