Evernote data location on mac

OK, I give up. I read manual, I searched the forum. Everybody keep telling the data is here:

/Users/[userid]/Library/Application Support/Evernote

let's try:

$ cd ~/Library/Application*

$ pwd

/Users/xxxx/Library/Application Support

$ ls E*

ls: E*: No such file or directory

Note: I show shell commands for brevity, just to avoid posting links to Finder screenshots.

My Evernote version is 3.3.0. Mac OS X 10.7.4

I want to add Evernote folder to automated backup, but which folder?

Thank you,

Alex

• Level 5*

The Evernote documentation is so sloppy and out of date that Evernote should be very ashamed.

If I were personally responsible for this documentation, I would be very embarrassed.

Neither of the above Evernote documents are correct.

1. Backing up and Restoring Evernote Data under OS X
    /Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/accounts/Evernote
  2. Switching Evernote from the Mac App Store version . . .
    (instructions are contradictory -- different locations are specified for the same EN Mac version)
    For EN Mac 3.1.2 or earlier: /Users/<userID>/Library/Application Support/Evernote
    For EN Mac 3.1.2: ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

On my Mac (OS X 10.7.4) running EN Mac 3.3.0, the path to the Evernote folder is:

/Users/<userID>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

The instructions provided in Evernote document #2 are very poorly written:

• Instructions are provided ONLY for EN Mac Ver 3.1.2 and earlier (current ver is 3.3.0)
  • The form of the location is completely different for the two options presented
  • While two different locations are provided, both are stated to be for ver EN 3.1.2

Here is a quote from Doc #2 so you can judge for yourself:

If you are on Evernote version 3.1.2 or earlier, or if you are using MacOS 10.6 (Snow Leapord), please use these instructions. Otherwise, proceed to "If you are on Evernote 3.1.2 and running MacOS 10.7":

Quit Evernote

In the finder, open the "Library" folder in your home directory. (This is in the directory with your name under "Users" , NOT under "Library" at the top level of your hard drive.) (Note: On MacOS 10.7 Lion, Click on "Go" and then Hold "Option". This allows you to select the hidden "Library" folder).

Navigate to "Application Support"

Move the "Evernote" folder from that location to a different place (like the desktop)

. . .

[JM Comment: this translates to /Users/<userID>/Library/Application Support/Evernote ]

If you are on Evernote 3.1.2 and running MacOS 10.7:

Quit Evernote

Navigate to ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote .

Move the "com.evernote.Evernote" directory to a different place.

• Level 5*

If you are using the App Store version of Evernote then the location has changed to meet sandboxing requirements and your data will be here - ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

The documentation is pretty useless, apparently they have been trying to hire someone for sometime to update it. If I was the PM for any of the products I'd just take a weekend to make sure what is published is actually correct.

• Level 5*

If you are using the App Store version of Evernote then the location has changed to meet sandboxing requirements and your data will be here - ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

The documentation is pretty useless, apparently they have been trying to hire someone for sometime to update it. If I was the PM for any of the products I'd just take a weekend to make sure what is published is actually correct.

Some of the documentation is years out of date, and for platforms like iOS, doesn't even exist beyond the outdated KB. You can cobble together blog posts, but some of those are from several years back as well.

That's a full-time job, and with major changes on the horizon, like business accounts, it would be a thankless job for the PM as well.

I also think we desperately need a table listing available features for every client so that isers don't have to hunt for easter eggs (the iPhone's ability to make notebooks) or get frustrated when a feature that ought to be there (the ability to make stacks on the iPad) isn't. Of course, this documentation would need to be carefully maintained as well...

• Level 5*

I know they don't want to be in the Enterprise world, but we do have some good ideas out here, like a release isn't ready to be released until the documentation is updated.

By not having decent documentation they cause themselves so many problems and create confusion amongst the user base.

And Grumps, in the end the product is the product manager's responsibility and so the documentation is his too. If he can't find anyone to do it, then he should be doing it himself or not OK'ing a release until it is done.

• Level 5*

I know they don't want to be in the Enterprise world, but we do have some good ideas out here, like a release isn't ready to be released until the documentation is updated.

By not having decent documentation they cause themselves so many problems and create confusion amongst the user base.

And Grumps, in the end the product is the product manager's responsibility and so the documentation is his too. If he can't find anyone to do it, then he should be doing it himself or not OK'ing a release until it is done.

Although I like how Evernote is currently structured with different teams optimizing the apps for each platform, having each PM write-up documentation (a massive undertaking, if you want to do it right, and stay on top of changes) is insufficient. I think Evernote needs someone working across all of the clients, writing documentation for each, and making it clear what features are available / unavailable on them. I believe this is a full-time job that requires a lot of expertise, knowledge of the product, and ability to work with every team. Otherwise, we end up with documentation that lags behind by years, if it exists at all.

I think Evernote recognizes the need for good documentation (I think the improvements in the API documentation are wonderful), but this hasn't translated yet into the products themselves. I know they have hired some new staff connected with this, but I am not yet clear on whether their job responsibilities would include something like this. My feeling is that there is still a need for a dedicated staff member to be pulling all of this together.

We agree on one thing: it would be better to do this sooner than later, especially with the upcoming launch of Evernote for business. Certainly, good documentation would reduce the burden on customer support, not to mention the developers, as the product gets picked up by more and more users who will be pushing it to its limits.

• Level 5*

I completely agree, it should be a dedicated person or individual.

But in the absence of this, someone has to take responsibility and in the end the Product Manager is responsible for the release.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where the Evernote spotlight index is now? I can't find it under:

Library / Caches / Metadata / com.evernote.Evernote

I am trying to force spotlight to reindex because no results show up since I upgraded my Mac to Mountain Lion.

• Level 5*

I think Evernote recognizes the need for good documentation . . .

Really!?!?!

I can't tell.

If they truly recognized the need they would have done something by now.

It's not that hard to find/hire someone good at documentation.

• Level 5*

I think Evernote recognizes the need for good documentation . . .

Really!?!?!

I can't tell.

If they truly recognized the need they would have done something by now.

It's not that hard to find/hire someone good at documentation.

Yes. As I understand it, they just hired someone whose job responsibilities will include this kind of thing. I don't know how difficult/easy it is to find someone good at documentation, because so few people can do it well. This isn't just a technical manual, but something that has to be readable, accurate (the products are constantly iterating), and comprehensive. That's no small task, and even major companies that have been around a long time struggle with this. I look forward to seeing how Evernote handles it, but judging by how their API documentation (amongst other things) has improved over time, I expect it will turn out well.

As users, I think it is not uncommon for us to come across features that few, if anyone knows about. It took me about a week with customer support to work out how to do something on the Web (a feature that once existed, but was lost in an update at some point), and only recently discovered (thanks to an eagle-eyed fellow user) that full-screen screenshots on the Mac with the Evernote Helper don't work in Safari or Chrome. These are things that only constant use can discover. Some things are bugs, some are design decisions, and some are limitations that arise through design choices.

• 2 weeks later...

A related question --

Can I trust TimeMachine to automatically backup my Evernote backup?

Assuming I have the HDD wiped clean and no internet connection to download my files from the website, can I use TimeMachine to restore Evernote data, or do I need to create an anex file manually?

I can't find the "containers" folder in my Library directory.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

On OS/X 10.9.4, I finally found the com.evernote.Evernote under ~/Library/CoreData.  I hope this helps someone else find this stupid moving target.  For dog's sake, let us choose the location of the data like we can in the Windows version!!!

• Level 5*

On OS/X 10.9.4, I finally found the com.evernote.Evernote under ~/Library/CoreData.  I hope this helps someone else find this stupid moving target.  For dog's sake, let us choose the location of the data like we can in the Windows version!!!

Actually, I don't think it is in CoreData. I think CoreData is calling information from elsewhere. The folder size ought to be tiny. Here are some likely locations for your data.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

No. It is in ~/Library/Containers.

This is mandated by Apple for anything available from the Mac App Store. Evernote probably moved the non-app-store version there as well to make it easier for people who migrate between the App Store and direct download versions.

And no, letting you put it where you want on the Mac doesn't really make sense; Apple dictates a lot of this as a "best practice."

• 5 months later...

I can not find the database in Containers or CoreData. I can find files generated by Evernote but they are only a few kilobyte, so the database must be somewhere else. I am trying to investigate why I am having problems seeing finding any of my notes with Spotlight (after a fresh install I can not find any) so I am interested to know where Evernote stores its database file.

• 5 months later...

Archived