Importing a list from CSV file

OldGrantonian

I keep my windows set to show detail, so it was obvious which file I was clicking on. (makes sorting to find things by other than name very easy)

the little man is dead.

click all I may on him, he refuses to work.

• 1 month later...
In Windows 8 it just close without launching. The dialog allows to ask for additional details. This are the details in Spanish. Please, note the bold section. It's a System.InvalidOperationException, 

Firma con problemas:

Nombre del evento de problema: CLR20r3

Firma del problema 01: csvtoen.exe

Firma del problema 02: 1.0.0.4

Firma del problema 03: 51f86389

Firma del problema 04: Microsoft.Licensing.Permutation_fa20c_2.0

Firma del problema 05: 3.2.1941.2

Firma del problema 06: 516f6ef5

Firma del problema 07: ac4

Firma del problema 08: 6e

Firma del problema 09: System.InvalidOperationException

Versión del sistema operativo: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.4

Id. de configuración regional: 2058

Información adicional 1: 55bd

Información adicional 2: 55bdb125e5f5eebba32ff4470f6d6db1

Información adicional 3: d8e7

Información adicional 4: d8e728cfa3b4627b86f2920172200c49

Lea nuestra declaración de privacidad en línea:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry folks. Haven't had time to troubleshoot this issue. I've tested it on Win8 x64, Win8.1 x64, Win7 x32 and have had positive results. I may try to setup a VM with an instance of Win8 x64 as close as possible to a clean confiuration as I can. I think its due to some dependency files missing on the target system and/or permissions.

Also, those with problems...have you tried one of the older versions? I developed those on a different system which may also be part of the cause of the issue.

sindizzy, firstly thank you for creating this helpful utility, which, in conjunction with another great little utility called iosNotesExport (which converts the iPhone's Notes database into CSV) should hopefully allow me to import my iPhone notes into Evernote.

I'm surprised that Evernote doesn't have a native iPhone Notes importer, as I'm sure this is something that all iPhone users moving to Evernote would need, but I'm happy to use two 3rd party utilities to do the job - although it's taken a bit of searching to find, firstly iosNotesExport, and secondly yours!

In case anyone else needs it, iosNotesExport source can be found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/iosnotesexport/

I wasn't able to successfully run CsvToEn yet though, so wrt debugging, I hope this may help:

Tried v1.0.0.4 on Win7 SP1 64-bit, wouldn't run - no error messages, just wouldn't start up at all. (Same with v1.0.0.3)

Then tried running 1.0.0.4 on same PC but in a virtual machine with Win XP Pro SP3 32-bit. It demanded I install .NET v4.0 (.NET Framework Initialization Error) even though it had 3.5 installed.

After installing .NET 4.0 on XP, I didn't get the Initialization Error anymore, but it crashes with the error signature:

EventType : clr20r3     P1 : csvtoen.exe     P2 : 1.0.0.4     P3 : 51f86389
P4 : microsoft.licensing.permutation_fa20c_2.0     P5 : 3.2.1941.2     
P6 : 516f6ef5     P7 : ac4     P8 : 6e     P9 : system.invalidoperationexception

I then tried v1.0.0.3 and the error sig was a bit different:
EventType : clr20r3     P1 : csvtoen.exe     P2 : 1.0.0.3     P3 : 51b4d413
P4 : csvtoen     P5 : 1.0.0.3     P6 : 51b4d413     P7 : 1     P8 : d     
P9 : system.typeinitialization 

I hope this may be of some use, and I can post the entire error reports if this would help?

sindizzy, here's an update on the post above - making some headway - I've since tried another PC, this one is 32-bit hardware running Win XP SP3 natively (not via a virtual machine).

v1.0.0.4 still produced the same .NET Framework Initialization Error, and unfortunately I am not able to successfully install .NET 4.0 onto this particular machine.

But v1.0.0.3 and v1.0.0.2 both ran fine - eventually - but initially, 1.0.0.3 would crash with a similar error signature to what I reported above.

I then tried 1.0.0.2 which ran fine straight away. It was *after* I'd ran 1.0.0.2 that I decided to try 1.0.0.3 again... and it seemed to 'come good' after that - odd!

They both seemed to produce identical enex files, as far as I can tell.

Only problem now is, Evernote won't import them successfully. The error is:

Could not import notes, error: MISSING_NOTE_TITLE

Please report this problem to Evernote support.

(and there is a Report button and a Cancel button)

Hope this helps.

Yes indeed, here's a screenshot. I don't know what the fields starting with Z are all about, but I tried all sorts of combinations (even tried selecting 'Title' from the dropdown for all 5 boxes at once) but still resulted in the same error from Evernote.

post-155138-0-00414800-1381277267_thumb.

yes indeed. I took one CSV file and deleted the title on a couple entries. The original file uploaded no problem. The one that's missing a couple of titles errored out with MISSING_NOTE_TITLE. So it appears that Evernote requires a title for every entry.

Ah, that's brilliant thanks sindizzy! They all have titles, but one had strange characters in the title (I was playing around with emoji, I think) and another one just has # as the title - I'll bet it's one of those that's causing the issue - I'll let you know which one it was...

OK, well that wasn't the issue - I still got the same Evernote error, even after removing both of those notes entirely - but it has given me an idea:

With iPhone notes, you can't assign a title separately - it automatically assigns a title, which is the first line (or possibly paragraph) of the note itself.

I noticed that some of those titles were very long, and also some of them were URLs.

I suspect that it's either the length, or some of the characters in the URLs (eg. "%") that's causing the issue.

I'll have a play around with this, either by editing those notes out, or by changing the titles manually to shorter/simpler ones, and see if that helps...

Success! It turns out that it was both the long titles, and the title that had unusual characters in it (HghfvðŸ˜Âhghju) that was causing the error. Once I shortened the very long titles to a reasonable length (I didn't test the maximum permissible length) and replaced the non-standard characters, the import went flawlessly  :P

As it turns out though, iOS notes are full of html markup, so the resulting Evernotes are as well, they all look like the source code of a web page - ah well, I doubt there's much can be done about that!

Here is what the documentation says about the title:

<!-- 
  Corresponds to Note.title field.
  May not begin or end with whitespace, may not contain line endings or
  Unicode control characters.  Must be between 1 and 255 characters.
-->

So I suppose I can put those safeguards in. The HTML content should work as the renderer in Evernote is HTML aware. Let me look at how that works.

Thanks - here's an example of how a short note looks after importing into Evernote:

<html><body>VCS Diamond voice morpher<div>Dr George Papsom</div><div><br></div></body></html>
On the iPhone that's just a simple 2-line note.

With iPhone notes that have phone numbers in them, iOS automatically underlines the phone number and colours it brown, and makes it a 'link' so that you can click on it from within the note, and go straight to call the number. These look more complex, eg here is a one-line note with a name and phone number:
<html><body><span class="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.292969); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(130, 98, 83, 0.0898438); ">Ralph77 00550055</span><div><br></div><div><br></div></body></html>

not my real phone number  :lol:

There's no need to spend any time on this (just for my sake I mean) as it's easy enough for me to amend the few notes that I have. But as a 'project' for anyone else who might need to transfer a whole lot of iPhone notes to Evernote, it may be a useful exercise.

• 3 weeks later...

I received an email from Note*spark that they are closing shop as of 12/31/13. I have about 350 notes I must now migrate to Evernote. I am having trouble finding how to do it. Can anyone tell me OR direct me to a page with instructions.

I am so sad…this is the second time I have had to move my precious notes….first from Palm, now from Note*spark. :(

Heather…if you are still out there, I have the exact same problem (but am a MAC user.) What specifically do I say to SUPPORT to get the import of 350+ notes done right the first time and how do I find the #/email address to contact support? I am so accustomed to figuring this type of stuff out on my own via the boards that I never think to call/contact support! LOL!

• Level 5

Heather…if you are still out there, I have the exact same problem (but am a MAC user.) What specifically do I say to SUPPORT to get the import of 350+ notes done right the first time and how do I find the #/email address to contact support? I am so accustomed to figuring this type of stuff out on my own via the boards that I never think to call/contact support! LOL!

You contact Support from this site:

http://evernote.com/contact/support/

• Level 5*

I received an email from Note*spark that they are closing shop as of 12/31/13. I have about 350 notes I must now migrate to Evernote. I am having trouble finding how to do it. Can anyone tell me OR direct me to a page with instructions.

I am so sad…this is the second time I have had to move my precious notes….first from Palm, now from Note*spark. :(

Hi. Welcome to the forums. It's been a while since I last used Notespark. My memory is that it only supports plain text. In that case, migration is a simple matter. Export your notes as plain text, select them all, and drag them into a notebook in Evernote. It should work fine. Depending on how you have your notes structured with tags, though, it might take a little more work. See their directions here: http://notespark.com/faq

I'm in the same boat. I've also had to migrate notes a few times- and I know this won't be the last :(

I got an Evernote account and started playing around with it, but I find it non-intuitive and can't find any kind of basic 'getting started' guide that tells how to set up folders, how to drag text files from another application, etc. For instance, is a 'notebook' in Evernote actually a folder that can contain a number of notes? Or is each note called a 'notebook'?  Has anyone found any kind of basic manual for this application? I found a video, set to music, that told me how great the application is and all of its many marvellous features, but it didn't give me a tutorial of how to actually use it.

I exported my files from NoteSpark onto my PC, so now I have a bunch of file folders full of notes. I was hoping I could just drag the whole thing across and preserve the folder structure, but it doesn't seem to work. Next I tried setting up a folder (notebook) manually and then trying to drag a note into it. My note came over as an attachment, and when I clicked on it I was prompted to open it with NotePad.

Is there some way to move the actual text into Evernote, rather than doing it as an attachment? I don't want to have to copy and paste all 600+ of my notes!

• Level 5*

I'm in the same boat. I've also had to migrate notes a few times- and I know this won't be the last :(

I got an Evernote account and started playing around with it, but I find it non-intuitive and can't find any kind of basic 'getting started' guide that tells how to set up folders, how to drag text files from another application, etc. For instance, is a 'notebook' in Evernote actually a folder that can contain a number of notes? Or is each note called a 'notebook'?  Has anyone found any kind of basic manual for this application? I found a video, set to music, that told me how great the application is and all of its many marvellous features, but it didn't give me a tutorial of how to actually use it.

I exported my files from NoteSpark onto my PC, so now I have a bunch of file folders full of notes. I was hoping I could just drag the whole thing across and preserve the folder structure, but it doesn't seem to work. Next I tried setting up a folder (notebook) manually and then trying to drag a note into it. My note came over as an attachment, and when I clicked on it I was prompted to open it with NotePad.

Is there some way to move the actual text into Evernote, rather than doing it as an attachment? I don't want to have to copy and paste all 600+ of my notes!

Hmmm.... It sounds to me like the encoding on the text files is incorrect. If it isn't UTF-8, then Evernote will treat it as an attachment (at least, when I drag them into Evernote on the Mac). I seem to remember Evernote on Windows had some trouble when I dragged text files into it, but it has been a long time, so I don't trust my memory on it. Maybe a Windows user could weigh in on the issue.

From the NoteSpark instructions for Windows, it says 'From Evernote, choose "Import Folder".' I have looked at the Evernote Web App and the Evernote Touch app on my PC, and nowhere can I find any sort of menu that includes 'Import Folder' as an option.

LeStressMD, I solved the problem and wanted to share my solution, in case you are also an iPhone user. I gave up on Evernote because I couldn't figure out how to import the files. The apps seemed too difficult to use and I didn't need all that functionality- just wanted a very simple plain-text app like Note*Spark was. (We'll see if the Evernote folks allow this post to stay on this board!)

Here are the steps: download DropBox (free) on your computer and your iPhone. Then buy an iPhone app called Elements, which costs $4.99. Do the data export from Note*Spark (super easy- sign into the website and click the 'Export' button, and save the zip file on your computer). Open the zip file and move the folders into the 'Elements' folder in DropBox. Presto! They all show up beautifully in the Elements app in your phone, organized into folders just the way they were in Notespark, and with the formatting intact. You can edit them on the phone or the computer, and your changes sync instantly. The only slight snag is that any notes you might have had with more than one Note*Spark tag, will be put into new folders. Otherwise it was a piece for cake, took 10 minutes (this after an entire evening of agonizing Internet searches to try to find a different app that would do the job). Yippee! Hope this helps you.

In my case, Evernote won't work because it requires iOS7 whereas my iPod Touch 4 can't be upgraded past iOS6. If it still possible to obtain the older versions of Evernote, I could not find a link.

Instead, I bought "Notesy," a dropbox-using product no doubt similar to Elements. Since I already had Dropbox, the process was simpler than for those to whom D. is new. So far it is working well.

From the NoteSpark instructions for Windows, it says 'From Evernote, choose "Import Folder".' I have looked at the Evernote Web App and the Evernote Touch app on my PC, and nowhere can I find any sort of menu that includes 'Import Folder' as an option.

The Import Folder option is available only in Evernote for Windows.

Notespark announced this week that they are discontinuing their simple note product.  If you export all of your Notespark notes into a zipped file, they are TXT extensions.  Evernote support provided me with a couple of older links on how to import those files into Evernote, but the choices weren't easy. Plus, I'm on a PC, not MAC.

I thought I'd end up  having to hire someone to help me or email all 1,100 Notespark notes to my Evernote account, but thankfully, by accident, I found a solution.   I use "XPlorer2" as my file manager on my computer.   Also had the Windows version of Evernote on my PC.

1. Exported all Notespark 1,100 notes to Zipped file; extracted zipped file (within folders) to new destination on computer

2. Using XPlorer2 (maybe My Computer will work, not sure), highlighed TXT files, folder by folder.

3. Right clicked mouse with files selected, and there was a "Send To" option, and Evernote was an option

4. My notes imported nicely into Evernote - then I tagged each group of notes by the folder name

I'm sure there are more sophisticated ways to transfer TXTs to Evernote, but this worked for me.

OK, I am getting this same Microsoft.Licensing.Permutation_fa20c_2.0 error from CsvToEn that others are reporting. Windows 7 Pro SP1, 64-bit.

I tried using the utility RunAsX86 to force it to run in 32-bit mode, and that returns this error dump instead.  

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01: runasx86.exe
  Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
  Problem Signature 03: 4f08d9de
  Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
  Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
  Problem Signature 06: 5174ddfb
  Problem Signature 07: 1c22
  Problem Signature 08: d
  Problem Signature 09: System.BadImageFormatException
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 1033

I've also tried running CSVToEn on my Mac in a Windows XP Pro VMWare Fucion virtual machine, but there too it fails.
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, I am getting this same Microsoft.Licensing.Permutation_fa20c_2.0 error from CsvToEn that others are reporting. Windows 7 Pro SP1, 64-bit.

I tried using the utility RunAsX86 to force it to run in 32-bit mode, and that returns this error dump instead.  

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01: runasx86.exe
  Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
  Problem Signature 03: 4f08d9de
  Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
  Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
  Problem Signature 06: 5174ddfb
  Problem Signature 07: 1c22
  Problem Signature 08: d
  Problem Signature 09: System.BadImageFormatException
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 1033

I've also tried running CSVToEn on my Mac in a Windows XP Pro VMWare Fucion virtual machine, but there too it fails.

Baron, my earlier post in this thread may help you - try using an earlier version of CSVtoEN - more info here http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/28980-importing-a-list-from-csv-file/?p=231906

ok folks I finally got some time to look at this and it may be that a DLL needs special registering. If someone is still having problems and they want to test an installer just let me know. I'd like to see if this registration makes the program work properly.

~AGP

ok folks I finally got some time to look at this and it may be that a DLL needs special registering. If someone is still having problems and they want to test an installer just let me know. I'd like to see if this registration makes the program work properly.

~AGP

I could test it. Moreover, I have installed MS Visual Studio, so I can provide you more test information, like this: http://www.evernote.com/shard/s27/sh/4bd4ef9c-7596-4e27-a7b3-4578a9697aa8/cd835df81d8c11000901e12ac81c35c7

• 4 weeks later...

Well I think I have the CsvToEn crashing problem solved thanks to the users in this forum. If someone wants to give it a go let me now and Ill send you the test app. The downside is due to some support files that I use, the application requires admin status to install.

~AGP

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

HI @sindizzy I'm getting the same: double click the exe and nothing happens. I'd like to get a copy of the test app, please! Could really use to get this CSV imported to Evernote. Thanks!

As I mentioned above I had to tweak a part of the installer. I think with the new version 1.0.0.5beta it will resolve the issues. If you want to test it please send me a private message and I'll send you the beta installer. In the past, the installer did not require admin rights, but now it will not work unless it is installed as admin.

~AGP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived