Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

Importing a list from CSV file

windows evernote

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 OldGrantonian

OldGrantonian

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:28 AM

I've used Personal Knowbase for many years, so I have many Knowbase notes.

Does anyone know whether it's easy to convert these notes to Evernote?

#2 Ghalandar

Ghalandar

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:56 AM

Hello;
I have decided to switch from Toodledo to Evernote,but I have a rather large problem.
I have hundreds of notes in my Toodledo notebook and I want to import them into my evernote notebook.
Toodledo has an export option which exports notes in csv format, but I couldn't find any way to import this csv file into evernote.
please help me in this situation as my notes in Toodledo are very important and critical for me.

Regards;
Shahram

#3 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,184 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:32 PM

Evernote does not import csv files.

Plus, it's not a to-do manager, although some people have been able to tweak it for their use.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#4 Ghalandar

Ghalandar

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

I don't want to import Toodledo's To-dos , as you may already know Toodledo has also a simple notebook and I want to import my notes from that notebook.

#5 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,790 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:56 PM

The answer that BurgersNFries gave still holds: Evernote isn't able to import CSV format, at least directly. A third-party application might not be hard to make, as CSV is not hard to parse; a converter to .enex files (Evernote format) seems feasible.

~Jeff
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#6 NX70

NX70

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

Hi.
I'm having the same problem.
Just subscribed to Evernote Premium and want to import all 107 Notes from Toodledo.

Do you know if a converter from csv to .enex allready exists?

Regards, Carsten

#7 MartinPacker

MartinPacker

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

A good intermediary would be a tool that converts CSV to HTML (tables). You might be able to import that directly. Tables definitely ARE supported - with some restrictions on tag case etc. If you can't import it directly someone could wrap the HTML to produce a .enex file.

Just a thought.

Martin

#8 MartinPacker

MartinPacker

• PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:39 AM

FWIW, 55 lines of Python code (half of which was boilerplate strings and quite a bit more was comments and whitespace) got me a .enex built with an HTML table populated from CSV.

I suspect the actual requirement is 1 note per CSV row. (I didn't build that as my need is 1 table, if anything.)

So, I conclude it's easy to take a CSV and turn it into whatever kind of .enex file you want (and use ENScript to import it).

Sadly, I can't share my code - as it would mean jumping through a lot of hoops with my employeer. I just wanted to see if it could be done. And Python's CSV handling made it easy.

Martin

#9 NX70

NX70

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

Hi Martin,
thank you for your idea with Python.

I've got a super fast answer from Evernote Support how to create some Excel macros to create Evernote compatible files.
I will try it tomorrow and if I get the permission I will post it here in the forum.

Regards, Carsten

#10 MartinPacker

MartinPacker

• PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:58 AM

@NX70 Excellent, Carsten (if you'll pardon the pun). I'd like to try those out on OpenOffice Spreadsheet and see if they'll work. (I've not written an OOS macro so it'll be an interesting exercise anyway.)

Martin

#11 NX70

NX70

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:12 AM

Hi,

I've tried now the proposed easy text solution from Evernote Support (see below) and it works.
It will create one file per note (row in the csv file).

As the Toodledo csv export has 5 columns you have to add:
Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "C").Value
Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "D").Value
Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "E").Value

The result will be a file 1.txt in the defined directory with the content
TITLE
FOLDER
ADDED
MODIFIED
NOTE

That can be imported with Tools->Folder Import in the Windows version.
I did not find a similar functionality in the Mac version.

It will create one new note per file in your defined import folder in Evernote.
It does not make use of any folder structure or date information from the original Toodledo note.
This information is just in the note text itself.

I tried a little bit with exporting/importing notes from Evernote in .enex XML format, but the only advantage I can see, would be to have the original date information in the note.
The folder information is not used and all imported .enex data is stored in a local Evernote folder "Imported Notes".

As I have to sort all notes anyway to the correct folder structure I decided to use only the simple text import and check all notes while moving them back to the correct folder.

Of course you can create a search for your old folder names (second line in the note) and group all the different imported notes and move them in one step.

I hope that will help other Evernote users who have to import data from CSV files.
I have to say thank you to the Evernote Support who has replied to my question after 7 hours with the answer below.

Regards, Carsten

In Excel, create the following Macro (you will need to turn on the Developer tab - search Google for information on how to do that):

Option Explicit
Sub testme01()

Dim iRow As Long

Close #1
With ActiveSheet
For iRow = 1 To .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
Open "c:\my documents\excel\test\" & iRow & ".txt" For Output As #1
Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "A").Value
Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "B").Value
Close #1
Next iRow
End With

End Sub

Change the filepath to a real one on your computer - best make it a new directory or you'll have 3000 files sitting somewhere you don't want them to be.

If you want all of the columns (or some of them) in a row to appear on the same line, you can rewrite it to be like this:

Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "A").Value & .Cells(iRow, "B").Value

If you have 20 columns, just keep adding another "Print" line per Column letter, like:

Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "D").Value

Or, you can get fancy, if they all have the same header info format, and make them html, like:

Close #1
With ActiveSheet
For iRow = 2 To .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
Open "c:\my documents\excel\test\" & iRow & ".html" For Output As #1
Print #1, ""<br />Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "B").Value<br />Print #1, ""
Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "B").Value & "

Link : [url="""]"
Print #1, "[/url]

"
Print #1, ""
Close #1
Next iRow
End With

End Sub

(You'll need to alter this one based on your content - if you don't have a Source URL, you wouldn't need to create a hyperlink, for example.)

You can then go to Tools->Folder Import (Windows) to point to the directory of the files (after they've been created) or you can simply drag the folder of files (Mac) onto a Notebook Name in the left-hand Notebook pane, and Evernote will pick them up to import them as individual notes.

More Advanced: You can also choose to export an existing note to .enex format, and examine the format of the file, then alter this macro to output individual .enex files. If you do that, you can use the Evernote File->Import for Evernote files.

#12 klem67

klem67

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

Thank you for this article. I am trying to make the macro as described. I have open office. Will that work? Or do I actually have to use Excel. So far I cant get it to work.
Thanks again.
Klem

#13 MartinPacker

MartinPacker

• PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

@klem67 Despite being an OpenOffice,org user I've never written any OO.o macros but I would observe that this looks like particularly simple logic that could be adapted - so long as there's a function to write to a file.

(If I had time and energy now - being 8 hours west of home - I'd try it myself. As I'm not far south of Evernote HQ perhaps I should go visit them.) :-)

Martin

#14 PLitv001

PLitv001

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

Hello,
I emailed Evernote Support and with their method all my information is in the body of the new notes. I can't specify tags, created date or title. I would really appreciate it if anyone has any insight.

They sent me the following:

"Advanced" method for CSV Importing

This script is provided as-is, with no additional support. Feel free to login and post to the Evernote Forum at http://forum.evernote.com should you require further assistance in customization.

In Excel, create the following Macro (you will need to turn on the Developer tab - search Google for information on how to do that):

Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim iRow As Long Close #1 With ActiveSheet For iRow = 1 To .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row Open "c:\my documents\excel\test\" & iRow & ".txt" For Output As #1 Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "A").Value Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "B").Value Close #1 Next iRow End With End Sub
Change the filepath to a real one on your computer - best make it a new directory or you'll have 3000 files sitting somewhere you don't want them to be.

If you want all of the columns (or some of them) in a row to appear on the same line, you can rewrite it to be like this:

Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "A").Value & .Cells(iRow, "B").Value If you have 20 columns, just keep adding another "Print" line per Column letter, like: Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "C").Value Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "D").Value Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "E").Value Or, you can get fancy, if they all have the same header info format, and make them html, like: Close #1 With ActiveSheet For iRow = 2 To .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row Open "c:\my documents\excel\test\" & iRow & ".html" For Output As #1 Print #1, "<html> <head> " Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "B").Value & "<br /><br />Link : <a href=""" Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "D").Value Print #1, """>" Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "C").Value Print #1, " </a> <br/> <br /> <br /> " Print #1, .Cells(iRow, "E").Value Print #1, "" Close #1 Next iRow End With End Sub
(You'll need to alter this one based on your content - if you don't have a Source URL, you wouldn't need to create a hyperlink, for example.)

You can then go to Tools->Folder Import (Windows) to point to the directory of the files (after they've been created) or you can simply drag the folder of files (Mac) onto a Notebook Name in the left-hand Notebook pane, and Evernote will pick them up to import them as individual notes.

Here is a sample file that includes the Macro to help you get started.

More Advanced: You can also choose to export an existing note to .enex format, and examine the format of the file, then alter this macro to output individual .enex files. If you do that, you can use the Evernote File->Import for Evernote files.

Alternately, you can attempt to use the following script created by one of our users:

http://markstout.blo...in-windows.html

Hope this helps!

Big Thanks,

Pavel

#15 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,184 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

There is no way to specify tags or alter the created date when using import folders or when dragging files into EN. However, you can specify what notebook each import folder should send the file(s) to. When using an import folder, the note title is defaulted to the file name. If you need more info on import folders, please search the board.

If you choose to use the enex method, I think tags are assigned upon import, if you've assigned them to each note in the enex file.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#16 Rdub

Rdub

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:42 AM

Today I threw down for an annual subscription upgrade after being extremely impressed with Evernote. Unfortunately I did this before I learned there is currently no way to import the four years worth of notes I have created in Notespark. This is a HUGE disappointment. I never suspected this would be an issue.

I really hope there are plans to address this issue. If not, I'll be cancelling the subscription because there is no way I have time to use two note programs, even if I am just using one for search purposes. PLEASE someone tell me this is going to happen soon...

thanks,
- r

#17 heather

heather

• Title: Support Maven
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:53 AM

There are a few ways out there to import from .csv into Evernote. Contact Support via my signature and we'll help you out.

Check out our Knowledgebase | View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows or iOS or Android | Check out the Getting Started Guide | Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#18 Rdub

Rdub

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

Thanks, Heather. However I did contact customer support yesterday and was told it isn't possible to do it, and that I should just import it as a .pdf. Importing four years worth of notes as a .pdf isn't a viable option. If there is a particular person I can contact that would be much more helpful...

There are a few ways out there to import from .csv into Evernote. Contact Support via my signature and we'll help you out.

#19 heather

heather

• Title: Support Maven
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Can you post your ticket number? I'll direct it for you and make sure the agent who told you it wasn't possible is flogged accordingly.

Check out our Knowledgebase | View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows or iOS or Android | Check out the Getting Started Guide | Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#20 Rdub

Rdub

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Can you post your ticket number? I'll direct it for you and make sure the agent who told you it wasn't possible is flogged accordingly.

Aww, I don't want to get them in trouble, I just want a solution :) I actually just submitted a new regular ticket about two minutes ago... # 16051-73460 Thanks Heather!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote