Webclipping on iPad

Gerard Byrne

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is currently no official way to to do this, but there are third-party instructions available online that will et you use a workaround. Try:

http://mergy.org/201...pad-and-iphone/

Thanks for the article - this seems to be best way to webclip on iOS at the moment, albeit it does take a bit of work to set up. Dolphin Browser for iPad is currently working on integrating Evernote Web Clipping. It'll make the process of web clipping on tablet/mobile a lot easier!

You can arrange your screen to want you want to clip and take a snapshot of your entire screen by pressing the On/Off button and then the Home button. It will save the screen shot to camera roll. You then go back to you Evernote note and press then logo that looks like a picture. It will bring up your photo stream and your screen shot should be there. Click it and it's transferred to your note

Re:

There is currently no official way to to do this, but there are third-party instructions available online that will et you use a workaround. Try:

http://mergy.org/2012/05/use-the-evernote-clipper-with-safari-on-ipad-and-iphone/

Thanks for your easy to follow instructions. Web clipping to Evernote from my iPad has now been made easy! The best thing about finding simple elegant solutions for storing and retrieving information is how much is frees us up to spend brain power on creative pursuits instead of administrative ones. These little things make the world of difference.

• 2 weeks later...

@mprazoff

Yes there is something bad going on there. Here's what I can observe:

1) after signing in I receive an error / maintenance page ( http://evernote.com/maint-shard.php )

2) however if I try using the Clip to evernote bookmarklet again I find that I was actaully signed in and can create clips.

So you should still be able to use the product while the experience is confusing.

We will fix this within short.

@mprazoff

1) after signing in I receive an error / maintenance page ( http://evernote.com/maint-shard.php )

2) however if I try using the Clip to evernote bookmarklet again I find that I was actaully signed in and can create clips.

So you should still be able to use the product while the experience is confusing.

So I guess this is more than just a "broken link" issue, correct?

• 4 weeks later...

@mprazoff

Any update on this? I was seeing this problem as recently as yesterday?

This issue of the ipad safari webclipper for evernote, that once worked and now seems not to, remains unsolved, despite the assurance from an evernote employee in this forum that it would be dealt with quickly. How are things going with this?

The capacity to maintain a synched set of research notes organised by topic and using web clippings is a major interest of anyone who researches using the web. Evernote, by being cross platform, has a lead, even though there are other web clipping systems. This is a really silly thing to drop the ball on if you want to stay ahead. Especially since, like probably most people with an iPad, that is the device I use most often for my routine research and clipping.

Also worth noting, I usually access materials via regular reading of RSS feeds for which I use various services to access my google reader feeds (eg Feedler). These often have their own browser windows that open when you click to read a story. If I were Evernote I would put effort into enabling clipping within these as well as Safari.

I used to use evernote as standard for all clipping but having lost the previously usable workaround ipad web clipper, my research work flow is much more complicated.

I cant believe there are so few of us using cross platform devices for web-researching that its not worth putting resources into this.

Hoping Evernote sorts it or it will be overtaken by someone nimbler.

YES!!! The fix from #2 worked! This was worth the trouble but I really hope Evernote will get this worked out for the sake of all the poor souls who haven't found this forum. This is a really big thing. Without a clipper, you may as well not use Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@mprazoff

Still seeing this issue today on the iPad when trying to utilize the clip to Evernote workaround provided above.....so what does "we will fix this within short" mean in terms of an actual timeframe? The reply was posted Nov 12.....two months is past my definition of "short".

If the method above is still broken, there are other ways to clip in iOS. For example, iCab Mobile browser has a "module" that clips to Evernote (amongst many other useful features). I usually forward articles to Evernote from Safari either by email or by saving them to Pocket and from there to Evernote. In most cases, this renders the article pretty well. It also works from RSS readers, provided they have email and Pocket sharing options. The articles end up in my default notebook and I can assign tags and notebook from there. There are also some 3rd party clipping apps, as reviewed here:

Low tech version:

Take a screenshot (home-power). Open the picture that it created and send to your evernote email address (found in your account summary.) subject can be "<note name> @<notebook name> #<tag name>

I found this the only way to clip pages from magazines that I read on nextIssue. The created note is very clear and readable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is an app called EverClip that is great for web clipping on iOS. It is my favorite web clipper for the iPad and iPhone, and I think it even won the Dev Cup award one year. The app works in the background by "clipping" whatever you copy to your clipboard. The URL is included in the clipping, you can organize your clippings in the order you want them uploaded to Evernote, and you can even add comments and edit the clippings before you upload them. They don't have a dedicated iPad version yet, but I installed the iPhone version on my iPad and it works just fine. In fact, I use it more on my iPad than my iPhone because I do more web browsing on it.

It's sold on iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/everclip-clip-to-evernote/id536058926?mt=8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's not a solution, but my workaround uses reader and mail.

I'm mostly interested in saving text. So, if the webpage i want to save can be viewed in Safari's Reader format, i hit the Reader button and then mail the text to my Evernote account.

I actually prefer the resulting note is formatted in Evernote.

Greg

Evernote clipper does not work on my Mac laptop or the iPad when using Safari. I have the most updated versions of Evernote, Safari, and the Evernote Clipper. I keep getting the message that I need to enable cookies, even though this is done.

On my MacBook Pro, the Evernote extension for Safari works just great for me. As to the iPad, I've switched to using the Dolphin App. It does a great job saving articles or pages. When browsing a page using Safari on the iPad, that involves copying the URL and pasting it to the Dolphin browser's address line, but once you're on the page, clipping the article to Evernote works like magic.

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you login to www.evernote.com with Safari on iOS to set the cookie so you don't get javascript 3rd-party errors. 

Thank you SO MUCH for this! It wasn't until I did that, that I could get it working on my iPad. It was driving me crazy!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something?  Why not just simply email the webpage to your EN account?  That's what I do and add "@" and tags accordingly.  The webpage is then filed in the correct notebook.   #EasyPeasy

• 4 weeks later...

RobD ... when you do that, you only create an email with the URL in it.

I just tried the thing with the bookmarklet and javascript and it works on my iPad!

Wish there was a native and proper way to do this, though.

• Evernote Expert

There are several third party tools that work seamlessly :

1. The free dolphin browser works like a dream, the best clipper for ipad that I know. Seamless, one touch, saves webpage along with retaining formatting and best it is free.

2. If you want clipping from safari, use the new third party tool LIGHTLY, and follow some simple instructions. Each time you highlight and copy text, lightly highlights and pushes the entire webpage along with the highlight to Evernote account. It costs some 2 or 3 dollars.

I found the best/easiest way for me to send links from my iOS device to EN.  You HAVE to have a jailbroken iOS device for this to work.  It's a tweak called "Readr".  It adds "Read Later" to the curved arrow in your browser.  Then simply click "Read Later" and voila!  The link is sent to your default EN Notebook.  I'm a happy camper now.  It even confirms the link being sent to EN with the iOS 6 Notification Banner at the top of the screen.  Keep in mind that it sends the link only.

http://qusic.me/post/44142728946/readr

http://www.hdcracker.com/readr-cydia-tweak-for-free/

photo_zps81f3e0af.png

• 4 weeks later...

OMG, thank you a thousand times for this!! I've tried this many times, never succeeded and with these instructions of yours it now works like a charm!! I do a lot of researches for my travelings with my iPad & saving my travel plans to Evernote and not having the web clipper in use has been a pain in the ass. Not anynore! Thank you again!

OMG, thank you a thousand times for this!! I've tried this many times, never succeeded and with these instructions of yours it now works like a charm!! I do a lot of researches for my travelings with my iPad & saving my travel plans to Evernote and not having the web clipper in use has been a pain in the ass. Not anynore! Thank you again!

sorry but who are you thanking?

• Level 5

Hello,

I wonder why nobody mentioned the following solution that I use very often when available.

Safari on iOS in many cases provides a nice view for articles without any clutter. If it is available in iOS 7 the attached icon appears on the left side of the address field.

Click on it and you get a nice view for reading.

When you now click on the share icon an then the e-mail icon, this view is copied into the e-mail body and can be sent to your evernote account. It is actually similar to Evernote Clearly on chrome or firefox.

I hope you like it!

post-78019-0-46904200-1380361808.png

There's a location relative Read-Later APP for Evernote called GoLater    You can clip the web pages into Evernote, add geo tag on each note, and then open the note by map view.  It also offers the web view and read view of each notes.   You can refer to GoLater video where it shows how read mode is in the Japanese template note section. 

As to how to clip the url link on iOS to Evernote by GoLater, please refer to the example of save Facebook URL

• 3 months later...

I have tried repeatedly to download web clipper to my iOS devices, but can't get it to work. I selected Safari and hit download but nothing seems to happen. When I am on a web page in Safari the EN icon does not spear.

What am I doing wrong.?

Evernote does not make a web clipper for safari on iOS because it is not possible to make extensions for safari on iOS. There is a workaround to create a bookmark let found here: http://andrewwargo.com/blog/web-clipping-iphone-evernote/ This works well but is not officially supported and is ultimately a workaround.

The AppStore also has a number of third party apps that can help with clipping too, and while they work rather well, they too are not as slick as a native extension. However, until apple makes provisions for third party extensions these workarounds will have to suffice.

Also, dolphin browser has solid Evernote clipping integrated, though suffers all the disadvantages that non-natives browsers do.

There's a third-party app for available for iOS called Everclip that lets you clip anything to Evernote from any iPhone app, including Safari. I use it myself. I also use Dolphin. Both Everclip and Dolphin have their disadvantages but nevertheless both are useful and better than having no ability to clip whatsoever.

Between the two I prefer Dolphin because it lets me edit the note title, select a destination folder, and add tags before clipping a web page.

• 3 months later...

This issue frustrates me. The real question is WHY HAS EVERNOTE NOT PROVIDED A WEBCLIPPER FOR IPAD? For an app that claims to be able to gather all your life's info in one place...this is a glaring shortfall.

It's not good enough.

Presently I save web info to Pocket then export to EN, but if I want to merge that new note with an existing note I still have to go to my computer to merge....another shortfall.

This issue frustrates me. The real question is WHY HAS EVERNOTE NOT PROVIDED A WEBCLIPPER FOR IPAD? For an app that claims to be able to gather all your life's info in one place...this is a glaring shortfall.

It's not good enough.

Presently I save web info to Pocket then export to EN, but if I want to merge that new note with an existing note I still have to go to my computer to merge....another shortfall.

Have you tried the Dolphin app? It generally does a great job clipping stuff to my Evernote account, although I've run across a couple of websites that it has a hard time clipping. I also use the Javascript Bookmark, which contrary to an earlier post, continues to work for me under iOS 7. 

A new thread has been started on this issue:

It's about time to make the official Evernote Web Clipper for iOS Safari

My work-around has been to add a web page that I'm viewing on iPad to my Safari "Reading List", then later, when I'm using my Mac, re-visit that page from the synchronized reading list and clip it to Evernote from there.

One reason you might not want to use the following suggestion is that it sends the contents of the page that you're viewing via email which is typically (and nearly always) unencrypted while it is enroute to the Evernote server. That's fine for routine stuff, but if the page you're reading happens to have any sensitive content, it could be intercepted (copied) by anyone who wanted to do so.

Hello,

I wonder why nobody mentioned the following solution that I use very often when available.

Safari on iOS in many cases provides a nice view for articles without any clutter. If it is available in iOS 7 the attached icon appears on the left side of the address field.

Click on it and you get a nice view for reading.

When you now click on the share icon an then the e-mail icon, this view is copied into the e-mail body and can be sent to your evernote account. It is actually similar to Evernote Clearly on chrome or firefox.

I hope you like it!

Archived