Font changes between PC and Mac

frankbradz

Idea

I'm having issues with the font sizes in my Notes when I switch from Mac to PC and vice versa. I use Evernote during work hours on my work PC and I have my Notes in Arial 12 font. When I am at home, using Evernote on Mac and after syncing, the notes that I created on the PC do not retain the font size. On some lines the font increases to size 13 and even to size 19. Is there anyway to prevent this happening?

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

For some reason the same font size appears as being physically different on Windows and Mac.

Generally, the same font & size, say Verdana 10 for example, will appear smaller on the Mac than on Windows.

An approach I have found that works reasonably well, is to set the Evernote default font/size on each platform as you need it to appear, and then try to use that default in your EN Notes as much as possible.

When you use the EN default, it does NOT hard code the font/size in the underlying HTML.

Thus when you display the same note on each platform it will be displayed using the default you have set for that platform.

I use the following defaults:

• EN Win: Verdana 10
  • EN Mac: Verdana 14

I find that my notes also display well in EN iPad and EN iPhone when I use these defaults.

Most of the time I use EN Clearly to view and clip to Evernote. This results in a Note that uses my Mac default of "Verdana 14" as a base font/size. If I clip just using the EN Clipper, I will often edit the resulting note, and select all (or part) and change to my default font/size.

Hope this helps.

If I follow your response correctly, you're suggesting that there can be a uniform difference between notes created on either OS, but I think what the OP and myself are experiencing are variable font sizes.

For example, a note created on one OS, entirely one font and size, is appearing on the other OS as a jumble of different sizes. So changing the defaults wouldn't control for this behaviour.

Would this be a bug for Evernote?

I still have that problem with MAC 5.2.0 and Windows 5.0.0.137

A note turns up on MAC with Andale Mono 14 and on Windows with "arial, geneva, h..." in size 7.

Other correspondences are "Andale Mono 15" with "Georgia 8". 

Similar examples throughout, in some cases impairing readability. So it's not really  just "JMichael"s readability issue, it's strange translations, as  "Oo0Bailey0oO" reports. This somewhat affects usability. Is there some guidance how the "font and size translation" can be influenced?

For some reason the same font size appears as being physically different on Windows and Mac.

Generally, the same font & size, say Verdana 10 for example, will appear smaller on the Mac than on Windows.

An approach I have found that works reasonably well, is to set the Evernote default font/size on each platform as you need it to appear, and then try to use that default in your EN Notes as much as possible.

When you use the EN default, it does NOT hard code the font/size in the underlying HTML.

Thus when you display the same note on each platform it will be displayed using the default you have set for that platform.

I use the following defaults:

• EN Win: Verdana 10
  • EN Mac: Verdana 14
I find that my notes also display well in EN iPad and EN iPhone when I use these defaults.

Most of the time I use EN Clearly to view and clip to Evernote. This results in a Note that uses my Mac default of "Verdana 14" as a base font/size. If I clip just using the EN Clipper, I will often edit the resulting note, and select all (or part) and change to my default font/size.

Hope this helps.

Hi JMichael! I've been an Evernote power user for countless years now using Windows, Android, and iOS platforms until recently I delved in to a Mac-Win ecosystem. One of the [very] frustrating experiences I had was the poor readability of my countless years of notes on the Mac due to the font size.. until I read this post! Thank you so much!

The problem I'm experiencing is that while taking notes on my iOS, Android, and Windows devices are very pleasant, reading them on the Mac with the default font of Arial 13 is just not very doable. Due to that, writing on Evernote Mac for me was unthinkable too. But now that I've discovered this (thanks to you!), my hate for Evernote Mac [immediately] turned into sweet love like what I have on other platforms. Just want to also share a good readable font combo I'm using:

Mac: Verdana 15

Win: Verdana 10

*Any notes taken from your iOS devices automatically "blends in" to whatever platform you're accessing them so no need to worry as those don't provide any font setting anyway. Long live Evernote!

Archived