Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

Still no stacks on iPad?

evernote

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 grumbaut

grumbaut

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

I was searching the forums for information on when stacks would be coming for iPad. I noticed that an Evernote staff member mentioned that stacks on iPad was "near the top of the list." However, this was posted close to one year ago, which makes me feel like the iPad app is being ignored. Is there any idea as to when stacks will actually be implemented?

The lack of this feature is keeping me from upgrading to a premium account, as it makes the iPad interface incredibly messy and disorganized. I think Evernote is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I think I will begin exploring alternative programs before commiting. The lack of stacks on the iPad is definitely disappointing.

#2 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

I was searching the forums for information on when stacks would be coming for iPad. I noticed that an Evernote staff member mentioned that stacks on iPad was "near the top of the list." However, this was posted close to one year ago, which makes me feel like the iPad app is being ignored. Is there any idea as to when stacks will actually be implemented?

The lack of this feature is keeping me from upgrading to a premium account, as it makes the iPad interface incredibly messy and disorganized. I think Evernote is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I think I will begin exploring alternative programs before commiting. The lack of stacks on the iPad is definitely disappointing.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I believe stacks are one of the most frequently requested features for the iPad. I do not know when Evernote plans to bring them to the device, though. Generally speaking, they do not comment on upcoming features or dates.

In the meantime, I recommend considering alternative organization methods. I have my own that only uses two notebooks, with the exception of shared ones (http://www.princeton...ganization.html), and there are many others on this forum who have systems with only a handful. It can be done, and in my opinion, it often works out quite well.

#3 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

In the meantime, I recommend considering alternative organization methods. I have my own that only uses two notebooks, with the exception of shared ones (http://www.princeton...ganization.html), and there are many others on this forum who have systems with only a handful. It can be done, and in my opinion, it often works out quite well.

Or, use an alternate device, like a MacBook Air. Just as portable (IMO) as the iPad, yet gives you full desktop/laptop power.
Stacks work great on EN Mac.

#4 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,200 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

Or, use an alternate device, like a MacBook Air. Just as portable (IMO) as the iPad, yet gives you full desktop/laptop power.
Stacks work great on EN Mac.

LOL. I think my solution might be $1000 cheaper, and it also works spectacularly well on any client :)

Still, you have a point about devices. I think for the foreseeable future, the iPad remains a platform where you can get some work done, but it would be difficult to use it completely independent of a computer. This remains true for a lot of apps on the platform, not just Evernote.

In my case, I spend most of my day working on the iPad, and clean things up a bit with my MBA at night. I fix the formatting (no font control on the iPad), put in note links (you cannot create these on the iPad), share notes (you cannot do this on the iPad), and move things between notebooks (you cannot select multiple notes on the iPad). It is also a good time to review and prepare for the coming day, because on the iPad you can only see four notes at a time, so you can get stuck missing the forest (all of your other notes on a topic) for the trees (the few you can easily see).

#5 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

This is just one example of why a MBA is a better portable solution. There are many other EN Mac features missing on the iPad, not to mention all of the other apps available to Mac, but not iPad.

With the recent release of the MBA 2012, there are a number of used MBAs available for much less than $1,000.

If you already have an iPad, you may not want to buy an MBA, or maybe you do. You can always sell your iPad, or just keep it -- its good for lots of other things. I own both.

#6 Scan&Shred

Scan&Shred

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

It seems there have been many complaints and some broken promises from Evernote staff that stacks would be added to the iPad version of the app, bringing it in line with the organizational principles touted in their own documentation and by their many online Evangelists.

Here is something really easy they could do, that would require no expensive programming skills: put a big disclaimer on their main web page and throughout the documentation and training that STACKS ARE NOT SUPPORTED ON THE IPAD.

This way no one can complain anymore about being ignored by the developers.

#7 Jonny Travels

Jonny Travels

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

I completely agree! Why is the iPad App way less robust than the iPhone app. I use Evernote every day of the week for everything from Keeping client content organized to managing travel itineraries to bookmarking all sorts of websites and so much more. I use it so much that I actually exhaust my premium account account about once every couple months and need to buy more space.

In short, I have lots and lots of notes and notebooks. I can easily manage them on my work computer, my home computer, my laptop, my iPhone because stacks are implemented on all of those devices. I can't effectively use Evernote on iPad because it's just my notebooks in alphabetical order. When I look for something, it takes me way too long to find it.

It should be easier to work on my iPad than on my iPhone. Please fix this problem, Evernote. Until you do, Evernote for iPad SUCKS.

#8 daroga

daroga

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

Just going to add my two cents that this is the one feature really holding back the Evernote ecosystem.

Does EN have stacks access on the Android client for tablets?

#9 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,200 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

Just going to add my two cents that this is the one feature really holding back the Evernote ecosystem.

Does EN have stacks access on the Android client for tablets?

Yes. As mentioned elsewhere, Evernote is aware of the demand in iOS, and they are working on it (http://discussion.ev..._60#entry157988). We're all looking forward to it :)

#10 BabylonSlim

BabylonSlim

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

Evernote iPad needs stacks. The MBA recommendation may work for some, but to me that's like saying "this use-anywhere program works well so long as you don't use it everywhere". I'm running two desktops, iPhone, MBA, and an iPad, and I need my notes organized properly everywhere. Not having stacks on the iPad makes this program a bit of a hassle for me, and an unnecessary one at that. The iPad version is crippled. Uncripple it please!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote