(Archived) Evernote vs. Dropbox

I am a paid user of both Evernote... and Dropbox.

But of late I am wondering why I keep my Dropbox account. Seems to me that virtually anything I can store on Dropbox... I can also store on Evernote.

What am I missing.. why do I need both?

Are others using both? Seems to me that with Evernotes search capabilities, it wins out over Dropbox.

Tom

Well, if you store large files in Dropbox, like video or high resolution images, that's not a great use case for Evernote. More and more applications are also hooking in to Dropbox for functionality and storing their shared settings there, like 1Password, Adium, etc.

• Level 5*

But of late I am wondering why I keep my Dropbox account. Seems to me that virtually anything I can store on Dropbox... I can also store on Evernote.

Are others using both? Seems to me that with Evernotes search capabilities, it wins out over Dropbox.

Tom

I make extensive use of both, but in very different ways.

Evernote is primarily a note taking system.

DropBox is primarily a file management system.

While Evernote can also store files, DropBox is superior in these ways:

1. DropBox is limited only by total storage limits (which can be quite large), whereas EN is limited by monthly upload lilmits.

1. DropBox is well suited to managing files which change often, particularly if they are large files
    2. You can quickly reach your Evernote monthly limits if you are making frequent changes
    3. Evernote is limited to a max file size of 50 MB
    4. DropBox provides file version system, allowing you to restore previous versions
    5. DropBox provides very granular sharing, from the entire account to folders to individual files
    6. DropBox sync is extremely fast on all devices
    7. DropBox provides traditional folder-subfolder hierarchical storage of files
    8. DropBox integrates seamlessly with your PC or Mac file system

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Many people worry to choose cloud service. The most important standard to do it is which service is the most efficient and fun to use.

As you know, Dropbox takes many clicks to read their contents, edit and share. On the other hand, Evernote takes no click or just 1 to read them. File & Folder system is dinosaur now.

But unfortunately Evernote's spreadsheet is too poor to use. Spreadsheet is very efficient way to manage data even now. So Google Drive's spreadsheet is one strong option to do.

2nd point to think is the reason why some people make files.

If every member can use Mac, PC, or iPad, it is not necessary to deliver papers to share information. But many people do it even though every member can use them. For example, before meetings, some people deliver papers and they read them in front of PC!

They make information suited to be printed. That is the most strong reason to make files. We don't need to do them at all. Most of us don't need PDF and files. Only we make information on Evernote and share notes or notebooks.

I use drobox to share large files with people.

So for example as the competition secretary of my camera club I upload all the digital images to dropbox then email the judge a link.

Regards

Chris

• Level 5

I was considering this just yesterday: I might well open a DropBox account just to keep TextExpander settings in for various phones and Macs. (Probably could use iCloud for that but don't want to turn on iCloud for everything - which might  be what happens.)

I'd still use Evernote exactly as I do today.

I also started using Note & Share and would want to store the MarkDown somewhere more central than the iPad/iPhone's storage. Again DropBox is probably the place - particularly as I think I could store there from Linux and maybe email to there from a batch job on z/OS.

Tom

I make extensive use of both, but in very different ways.

Evernote is primarily a note taking system.

DropBox is primarily a file management system.

Same here. The folders and files that in the past used to be in the "Documents" directory on my computer now live in Dropbox, so I can access and edit them and create new documents even when I'm travelling. EN does the same for my notes.

Since the EN iOS is so slow, I use Dropbox for things I may want to refer to on my iPad or iPhone. IE, I scan hard copies of scheduled appointments (like when a doctor's office gives you a card with your next appointment on it). I then put the info in my calendar as well as a copy of the scan in Dropbox. This way I can easily refer to the scan of the hard copy if I need/want to confirm what's in my calendar is correct. (Yeah, I'm OC that way.)

I keep copies of our insurance cards (cars, homes, medical), lists of drugs each family member is taking, lists of sizes of replacement batteries/filters/light bulbs as well as scans of things I want to buy that I saw in an ad. More than once, I've held up my phone & told the clerk, "This is what I'm looking for".

In order to avoid uploading images multiple times to Evernote (thereby chewing up my upload amount), I use Dropbox as an intermediary. I use a third party app that uploads images from my iPhone and iPad to Dropbox. When I'm at my desktop, I can then rotate, merge, resize, crop the images before moving them from Dropbox to Evernote.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We wrote a short blog post explaining differenced between Evernote and Dropbox including some common (not so common) use cases.

In short, you can think about Evernote as sticky notes posted all over your desk, while Dropbox is more like the floor-to-ceiling stack of (neatly organized) filing cabinets in your office.

http://blog.cloudhq.net/post/44584957386/evernote-vs-dropbox-an-in-depth-comparison

Please let me know what you think.

Senad

Archived