Finding Public Notebooks

How does one do a search on public notebooks. I have created notebooks that I then shared with public, but how would I or anyone else actually find it? If I wanted my students to find my notebooks by searching on my name and class in the description section, how would they actually do that?

I cant find a search function anywhere other than the feature to search my own notes.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi kuschneider, welcome to the forum :)

Evernote doesn't provide a method of discovery for shared notebooks, other than the link that you get when you share the notebook.

You would have to provide this link to those that you wanted to show your notebook to.

Scott

• Level 5*

How does one do a search on public notebooks. I have created notebooks that I then shared with public, but how would I or anyone else actually find it? If I wanted my students to find my notebooks by searching on my name and class in the description section, how would they actually do that?

I cant find a search function anywhere other than the feature to search my own notes.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums. Shared notebooks are neither posted by Evernote nor indexed by search engines, so unless you share directly with people on a website or something like that, then it is unlikely anyone will stumble across it. I have gathered together a bunch of shared notebooks and posted them on my website. I'd be happy to add yours into the mix :)

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/sharednotebooks.html

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Hi there,

I also have some public notebooks on evernote. I link them from my website home.beardeddonkey.com where I also post some of the evernote content. The evernote public folder is like a 'bleeding edge' repo of any information i create.

Evernote public notebooks are indeed searchable by google. You can search public evernotes by doing this at goggle:

site:www.evernote.com/pub search terms here

This will search all public notebooks for "search terms here" using googles search algorithms. Results will be shown like a regular google search, however when you click on the google result you will be taken to the notebook at evernote.com. once there, click "View Notebook" then at the top of the page you need to search again for the search terms to search the notebook and find the notes your search terms are in.

Sorry for bumping a 2 year old topic but I find this info may be useful.

Evernote should consider offering a public note search engine of their own, especially now people can collaborate using evernote. Unique and useful content as well as visitor comments are all neatly packaged in evernote's system now. We just need a way to find the content easily.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi. They do now seem to be searchable by Google. A few months ago, Evernote unexpectedly dropped support for public notebooks, and for a time, users couldn't create new ones. This se ms to be the direction they want to go. If memory serves, they called it a security issue. They are working fine now. I don't think Evernote has made it clear, though, what their future will be. It seems unlikely that they will pour more resources into it with a search thingy, though. Personally, I think public notebooks are wonderful, and with a few improvements, could be quite powerful.

• Like 1

The Postach.io blogging platform is an interesting one to throw in the mix. It publishes Evernote notes you tag with "Published" to your Postach.io blog, which in turn shows up in plain Google searches. For those who don't have the time, interest or know-how to set up a blog, this is the simplest solution to getting your information out there. In essence, one's Postach.io blog comprises any set of notes you wish to put out there. Not confined to notebooks and it's a way to showcase more than one note. PLUS you can integrate Disqus comments, Google analytics, embed YouTube videos within notes through an embed code which shows in the post, etc. Or you could just keep it to WYSIWYG - a post mirroring an Evernote note. 

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On 8/12/2012 at 3:29 PM, GrumpyMonkey said:

Welcome to the forums. Shared notebooks are neither posted by Evernote nor indexed by search engines, so unless you share directly with people on a website or something like that, then it is unlikely anyone will stumble across it. I have gathered together a bunch of shared notebooks and posted them on my website. I'd be happy to add yours into the mix :)

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/sharednotebooks.html

the web site isn't accessible anymore. Can we please have this back, I find it such a useful and scarce resource on the net.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5

… shared notebooks may be shared , but they are still private. I completely disagree that there should be a function or even directory to search through shared notebooks, even if shared „publicly“. People make mistakes …

If a notebook was shared directly to you, you can look up and search this specific shared notebook, no problem. 

The university probably held a directory to notebooks that were explicitly shared for the use of staff and students. This is a use case, but a limited one, using EN as a sort of bulletin board.