Skitch on Retina MacBook Pro

pjv

Idea

When I try to use Skitch to create a screenshot on my new rMBP, the pixel dimensions of the resulting screenshot are much larger than the image I am trying to create.

To be precise, when I do a crosshair capture with Skitch, the little readout beneath the crosshairs during the capture will say for example, 300x300 and then after releasing the crosshairs to perform the screenshot, the image that is then displayed in Skitch is 600x600. If I drag that same image to the desktop (as a PNG) and open it in Preview, it is 1200x1200 @ 144 (actually, 143.99) dpi.

I assume that this is the result of the pixel-doubling technology that is built into the low-level OS X graphics routines for the retina display.

This is making Skitch un-usable for me. What would be great is a preference in Skitch for automatically re-sampling images captured from a retina display such that they would be rendered as if they had been captured at the original pseudo-pixel size (in this example, 300x300) @ 72 dpi resolution. That would make the images compatible with sending in an email, posting on a website, etc.

Is this on your radar or already in development?

27 replies to this idea

Hey @gvalverde!

I am having the same problem running the "retina" version 1.0.12. Can we get an official answer if its being worked on or being fixed or if it's an official problem? It's sooooo frustrating right now... I'm forced to use apple's built in capture tool for the last 3 weeks.

I just can't seem to get this to work rMBP. Even when I uncheck hi-res, and save or export the image it's still double the size. Am I totally missing something? I tried MonoSnap, which does shrink the file to keep it the same size, but the image gets blurry. Is there just no good option right now for screenshots on retina?

Probably an oversight/bug.

Bugs are a part of creating and expanding a product and a great community like this at Evernote helps those developers fine-tune things... but as always with SO many things going on, they might not get the time to take care of it immediately.  I'm going to start using the drag n' drop.  Thanks for the heads up, Irakli. 

Brad,

very interesting. You are correct: the setting mentioned in the blog post seems to only affect the drag-n-drop, but not "export". I always use the drag-n-drop (since you can change output format there, as well) so didn't notice.

Ha, curios if this is a bug caused by carelessness of a developer, or something Skitch actually thought was a good idea.

Thanks Irakli.  Glad there's movement on this, but even with the "hi-res" opt-out as in that December post, when I "export" images, they are always in hi-res and 2x the size I need.  Maybe the fix was for 

This means I need to "resize" it in yet another application.  Not optimal for a product I love and use every day and is perfect in every other way :)

This is not ideal but I found a work around.

There an screencapture app called Monosnap.  Its basically a skitch 1.0 clone, its nice but I like the newer features of skitch (stamps, PDF support etc) so still want to hang in there...

Anyways, you can snap a screenshot, shrink retina snaps, and then auto pass it to external editor (skitch).  Its essentially a seamless solution with the only negative being having to run two apps: http://cloud.optimalweb.biz/image/0k1I35460k2p

Hope this helps.

Hey, great suggestion! Monosnap seems to work great, supports retina the way we wish Skitch would, has Dropbox and Evernote integration, and even supports Skitch as an external editor. Fantastic!

After the new Skitch update today (Oct. 24/13) which still doesn't appear to have retina support, i'm moving on.

Dear Skitch Developers...

How can this be... more than a year later, that this issue still exists? Joe posted in May, and it is now almost September.

Retina screens are here to stay.  I was a SkitchPro client, before Evernote, and the engineering was fantastic.

I use Skitch probably more than any other Utility, and this problem really complicates my workflow.

When are you going to fix it?

Peter

:(:angry::huh:

This is not ideal but I found a work around.

There an screencapture app called Monosnap.  Its basically a skitch 1.0 clone, its nice but I like the newer features of skitch (stamps, PDF support etc) so still want to hang in there...

Anyways, you can snap a screenshot, shrink retina snaps, and then auto pass it to external editor (skitch).  Its essentially a seamless solution with the only negative being having to run two apps: http://cloud.optimalweb.biz/image/0k1I35460k2p

Hope this helps.

Setting Skitch to open in low res mode doesn't do anything for me. It still makes the capture at 2x. This is totally maddening. Last update indicates Retina support. Making a @2x icon is NOT retina support. Skitch is totally maddening to use on rMBP.

Has anyone come up with a precise scale ratio (based on your current resolution -- I'm running at "looks like 1680 x 1050" on my Macbook Retina) that assures a clean screen capture at web resolution?

Well... if you temporarily set your screen resolution to 2880x1800, Skitch will actually work properly. Obviously this is also a ludicrous solution, but it *does* work. http://www.reddit.co..._resolution_to/

Agreed -- upgraded to 1.0.12 and all the same issues continue.

Has anyone come up with a precise scale ratio (based on your current resolution -- I'm running at "looks like 1680 x 1050" on my Macbook Retina) that assures a clean screen capture at web resolution?

I can't figure a single thing that this 1.0.12 build did to improve the situation . . .

This is ludicrous. I take a snap of a teeny little bit of text from a browser window and click "Share", and what shows up on the website is a 1960x360 image. What the snap tool reports, and what I'd expect, is 490x90. I recognize that it is not completely clear what the "correct" behavior is, in this brave new world of multiple DPI settings, but this cannot possibly be it.

For the moment I am resizing everything to 25% before sharing, but this is a dodgy short-term fix at best. I really liked Skitch before, and I hope this issue gets fixed soon so I don't have to switch to a different tool.

This update still doesn't not fix the issue with the shared image being scaled. I currently have to take a screenshot of my screenshot with CloudApp - a tad counter-productive. Doesn't anyone working on Skitch own a Retina macbook?

Archived