(Archived) IPhone Sync with Web

bandt06

I set up a simple test using the Web and the IPhone app. IPhone app version is 4.2.1. I created a new note with added 5 bulleted items each with a check box using the web. Then I edited the list both on the web and iphone. I checked Item 1 on the phone and Item 4 on the web. I click Done on both the web and the phone. The note now has the same 5 items listed twice, one list has item one checked, the second list has item 4 checked.

I don't know if this is a bug or by design. But it would be extremely helpful to us because the wife and I will create a grocery list on the web, and then when we go to grocery store will divide and conquer. She has an IPhone (Evernote app version 4.2.1) and i have the Android (Evernote app version 4.1.3) and we'd like to be able to check different things off simultaneously and have it sync so she and I don't end up grabbing the same thing.

Welcome to the forums.

You have two issues:

- A bug in Evernote (the duplicated items).

- Evernote can not handle simultaneous updates of a single note on multiple devices. They will result in Conflicting Changes.

Best workaround I can suggest is to use two notes e.g. outside (produce, meat, dairy, etc.) and inside (packaged goods, etc.) of store. You can resolve who gets which task.

I would suggest you use a true list/task manager program such as RTM, Toodledo. Even then, I'm not sure how well they handle simultaneously changing items. IE , you're both changing the same item at the same time. IE, you both check "milk" off before syncing up to the cloud & before the other person syncs that change down to their device. Should be ok as long as you don't have any overlap. IOW, without designating specific sections/items for each person, that don't overlap, you'd both need to be syncing your devices continuously to make sure you have the latest updates.

• 1 month later...

Okay I can deal with two simultaneous changes not being accepted. We can be sure to refresh the list before posting updates, but when we do post it should be syncing the checked items not creating a duplicate note. Are there plans to fix that bug or is way down on the priority list?

Okay I can deal with two simultaneous changes not being accepted. We can be sure to refresh the list before posting updates, but when we do post it should be syncing the checked items not creating a duplicate note. Are there plans to fix that bug or is way down on the priority list?

This is not a bug. If you make changes to the same note on two different devices/computers without making sure you're dealing with the latest/greatest version of that note, Evernote does not know which change is really the "last" one. You may this post helpful. IME, when you follow these "rules" & tick a checkbox from another computer/device, you do not get dups of the item/note. After all, simply ticking/unticking items within a note is a change to the note as a whole. It's no different from adding non-check box items to that same note.

Archived