(Archived) To Do Lists

Dear Forum Members-I'm new to Evernote and somewhat digitally challanged. I was under the impression that there is a "To Do List" feature with Evernote but can't seem to find it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• Level 5*

Dear Forum Members-I'm new to Evernote and somewhat digitally challanged. I was under the impression that there is a "To Do List" feature with Evernote but can't seem to find it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi. Welcome to Evernote! It should be a pretty straightforward application, even for the digitally challenged. There is a todo list of sorts right now (mentioned by BNF). You can read about it here.

http://blog.evernote.com/2011/08/02/did-you-know-how-to-create-a-checklist-in-evernote/

One of the cool things with it is that you can use the "todo" advanced search term to keep track of what you have/have not done. See the link above for more, and good luck!

• 1 month later...

I with Sinz on this one. EN is fine at importing things into it, so you can collate more things into your notes, bit it doesn't like feeding its notes into other items, so you cant export notes into a to do app as far as I can tell.

I make notes a granular level of detail. I often need to set elements, or entire notes, as actionable items. This is where it falls down for me, a tickbox within a note is pretty inert and easily missed. a Dynamic way of flagging to dos would be better.

I think I'm looking for a task manager, with an expandable option for notes behind each task. And it would be nice if I could have a simple stop-watch task timer on each one. If anyone knows of such a thing, can you let me know.

• Level 5

3 years of promises but lately the crickets are the only ones making any noise on this subject.

Here is the most recent comment I have seen on a To-Do app for Evernote.

From Business Insider

http://www.businessi...ist-app-2011-12

Dec 8, 2011

Evernote - What's coming next?

We asked Evernote CEO Phil Libin point-blank if to-do lists, which are a popular use for Evernote, are coming.

"To-do lists are coming," he said after taking a deep breath.

<snip>

Libin also took pains to stress that it wouldn't look and feel like traditional to-do list apps. "I don't want a to-do app, I want a DO app. I don't want a list," Libin said.

(emphasis mine)

Search Code 47ER92

• 2 months later...

This is great to hear. I understand that Evernote doesn't want to be yet another task manager. But, 'we, the people' don't want separate apps that make that distinction. We want everything in one place. Evernote is perfect for that - but, we need the following:

1. Due dates.
  2. Reminders.
  3. Recurring tasks (by date).
  4. Integration with Google, Outlook and iOS calendars for dated events.

1. Ability to move items in calendar, and have date/time change in Evernote.
    2. Done.

Thank you for listening.
      - Dave
  • Level 5

If you edit the Created Date to the actual Due Date, you will solve #1 and #2

Evernote has a "Copy Note" feature (along with the associated tags) to address #3. Future Date will, of course, have to be modified.

I have not heard any inkling that Evernote will consider #4. I doubt that it could be accomplished without a Due Date field.

#5 can be solved using a Done tag

Thank you JB. You and I are on the same page. However, since this is my 'blue-sky' list, and Evernote is doing so well financially; I'd prefer not to use work-arounds. I like having a created date - nice to know how long a task has been languishing. And, while copying a note gives you 'recurring' in a manual/brute-force kind of way, that's a little more tedious than set-it-and-forget-it. Take a look a GQueues.com - my current task list. (I've also used TrogBar, SpringPad and ToodleDo in the past), It's not Evernote, by any stretch of the imagination - but it handles deadlines beautifully; automatically integrates deadline dates to Google Calendar; enables you to create recurring tasks like 'prepare expense report', 'pay bills', etc. that will pop-up in your calendar as scheduled. If you move tasks in your calendar, it will make changes to the actual todo in GQueues. And, while they don't have dedicated iOS or Android apps, they do have a perfectly usable HTML-5 interface that provides you an offline capability. While GQueues has everything that I asked for above; it does not have what Evernote has:

1. The ability to capture pics, web clips, rich text, etc. It is simply text-based, but tags and folders are color-coded to your preference.
  2. Integration with Outlook (it does have the ability to BCC emails into GQueues, but not add-ins. They do have the add-in for GMail.)
  3. A native Windows/iOS/Windows RT client.
  4. A native Android client.

Given that you heard ToDo (or 'Do') list is coming back in 2011 - any idea when?

• Level 5*

Yes, as far as we know, Evernote is still working on Due Dates. Yes, it would be good to have them. However, current priority, status, and release date are unknown. If it were an easy thing, though, Evernote would probably have delivered them already.

• Level 5

I wonder if the Evernote CEO and CTO knew how difficult adding the Due Date column would be; before making their "coming soon" comments.

My hunch is they've decided it is no longer a priority.

I wonder if the Evernote CEO and CTO knew how difficult adding the Due Date column would be; before making their "coming soon" comments.

My hunch is they've decided it is no longer a priority.

Since the infamous Due Date is most likely the same field as the now forgotten "Subject date", I don't think it's a matter of adding a field. Rather another priority.

Archived