Feature Requests

titanstrides

Idea

just wanted to throw out a couple ideas... not sure if all are possible, but thought it might be useful to know what the users of Penultimate are wishing for. my two main requests deal with two totally different areas.

1. i find it annoying to have to go into the settings and switch off the Multitasking Gestures everytime i want to take some notes in Penultimate. not sure if apple allows/supports this kind of thing, but a button inside the app to temporarily turn this off would be nice. even better would be to disable the Multitasking Gestures alltogether when Penultimate is in use.

2. this one is more design-based, but i absolutely love the way 53 Paper handles notebook covers. i love that they offer different colors/designs as well as the ability to add your own image to the cover of a notebook. this not only lets you customize to your own style, but also makes it easier to identify specific notebooks when you have a lot of them.

33 replies to this idea

I have raised these elsewhere, but just spotted this post:

1. Tagging!!! You definitely need to be able to tag natively in Penultimate - why have to go to Evernote to do it? And if there's no tagging, what's the point of syncing to Evernote? Ideally, you should be able to tag a notebook and/or a page
  2. Select the Evernote folder for individual notebook on a per notebook basis. Again, why have to go to Evernote to do this? It's just another step. These folders should apply to Penultimate too, so the home page shows any Evernote folder which has a Penultimate note in, allowing me to quickly find the right note.
  3. Import, import import! It would be so useful to be able to import an email, a pdf, a spreadsheet, whatever, just like you can in Evernote, but with the additional advantage of being able to annotate. Example: I phoned a support company and took copious notes in Penultimate. They then sent me emails, I'd love to be able to easily tie them together in Penultimate.
  4. The thinnest ink setting is not thin enough, on the writing paper "Narrow Rule" you can hardly make out lowercase letters.
  5. We shouldn't have to lift our palms to click on the undo button. If I make a mistake while taking notes in a meeting, I need it to be as quick and fluid as possible to edit, so I don't miss anything I should be noting down.
  6. With the selection tool, you should be able to change the attributes of the selected writing - pen colour, width etc. Also, the selection tool could do with being a little more intelligent, I don't suppose you store pen strokes in Penultimate, but if writing on lines, when you try and select text, it's often a struggle to pick up the tops of tall letters without also picking up the tails of the line above, or the tails of letters without picking up the tops of tall letters on the line below. If the pen strokes themselves aren't selected, then at least it should be looking at collecting the connected ink, and not little snips of ink that the user wouldn't want selected.

Items 1 & 2 I consider critical. Without them, Penultimate misses the whole point of Evernote. Item 3 is highly desirable, but for Penultimate to have no pdf import is a tragedy. Of course I could take up my storage space by doing a screenshot of a pdf, page by page, but what a waste!

Just love the update. You guys made me reinstall penultimate!!!! (I'm now a noteshelf heavy user). But it can be even better, i'll be quick.

Pencils
Highliters
Custom tip sizes
Custom colors
Pinch to zoom
Free rotation images
Ability to tag our notes (evernote integration???)
Change cover colors (or customizable covers with our own images)
Folders Folders!!!!

I guess that's all hehe
Thanks for listening

Please build a single button on the PU tool bar that sends individual pages to EV (as images). In the PU settings a user could default an EV Notebook where to deliver the individual pages. Maybe here you could also default image or PDF. I use EV to search my hand written notes so I prefer to send as an image.

Currently this is a 6 step/click process.

1. Forward note button (1 icon to the left of search in PU)
  2. Open Page In...
  3. Open in Evernote
  4. After EV opens, close the Note in EV
  5. Double tap home button
  6. Open PU again

Thank you.

My Feature Request for PenUltimate: I would love to be able to select text from another app and paste it into my notes. My UseCase for this: Taking notes Sunday @ Church. Pastor References a verse in the bible... I switch to my YouVersion Bible App and would love to be able to copy the selected text and paste it into PenUltimate.

Thanks for your consideration!

Penulitmate palm protection phails. Please phix.

As terrific as Evernote is, a workflow involving Penultimate neither works nor flows.

For instance, Office files aren't locked into a separate notebook in Evernote. They can be edited and saved back to the same Evernote note.

Penultimate drawings? Nope. What's up widdat?

In the new update, I think I can get used to the undo/redo buttons being with the toolbar but I absolutely loathe the sniper-like precision required to change tools. I try and take notes speedily and end up changing the page when I tap the eraser. Is there any way to increase the touch zone on the tools?

I do miss the notebook names at the top of the notebook as well, but that one is just a wish list.

Also, some other great features other users have recommended - ability to change pen size AND colour in the same tap, free picture rotation, and highlighters!

I love penultimate!

Please add a highlighter pen!

And it seems odd that each note in Evernote has to come from a separate notebook in Penultimate. Can this be changed?

Also, yes; if I delete something in Evernote I don't necessarily want it deleted in Penultimate, or vice versa.

In a seperate post, someone has mentioned audio recording. Synced audio recording would be very useful when reviewing meeting notes. There's an app, AudioNote which handles it very well, except its wrist protection is a slide up job, which is no good if you're quickly filling up a page (write three lines then slide the slider down a bit then write three lines, anyone fancy that?), plus it doesn't have the Evernote integration.

My Feature Request for PenUltimate: would be you shrink the size of a selected handwritten text. this because i always write bigger then intended on a touch screen 

A other function that would be great but that has probable to much impact is a option to set links to page's so you can make a index like 

1. functions => goto page 2

2. model => goto page 6 

2. this one is more design-based, but i absolutely love the way 53 Paper handles notebook covers. i love that they offer different colors/designs as well as the ability to add your own image to the cover of a notebook. this not only lets you customize to your own style, but also makes it easier to identify specific notebooks when you have a lot of them.

I would really love to see custom notebook covers as well. I'm a convert from Bamboo Paper and got really used to color-coded notebook covers. Thanks!

I second donkey on the slide up wrist protection panel...I have tried shutting off multi-gesture (which is a pain since I have to switch back and forth been apps in class sine there is no way that I have found to send PDF files to penultimate) and turning on wrist protect, but it doesn't seem to do much...I still have to either use a piece of cloth (no big deal right now since its winter and I'm wearing long sleeves) or write at an odd angle without my hand and wrist resting on iPad (difficult to do at a desk to table). Resting my wrist in ipad with wrist protect off causes pen to act inconsistently, often making marks on my notebook where my wrist touches, not picking up my pen, and in general it acts "leggy" as donkey mentioned.

Also, can somebody tell me why it's necessary to turn off multigestures? I have found that if I leave multi gestures on (even with wrist guard in) penultimate still behaves the same way, and my ability to switch between apps quickly(sideswipe with four fingers between Evernote, pen, and skitch) is not hindered. Have not had any problems where it switches just because my hand/wrist rest on the screen and it doesn't seem to change how much or little of my hand or wrist are picked up by penultimate...either way it thinks my wrist is writing.

Please please please get rid of the "Wrist Protection" feature and just add a slide up Wrist Rest panel please!

With 'Wrist Protection' on (aside from changing the fluidity of writing - it goes quite laggy), I still have to use a piece of cloth or something to rest my wrist on or it goes all crazy (and activates multitouch gestures etc).

I use Notability for other notes which aren't needed to sync into Evernote and I never have the same problems with their wrist rest.

My apologies for the double-quick-reply-post. I just had a look back through other suggestions/feedback here and noticed people talking about the whole disabling multi-touch gestures.

Wow! The wrist-protection thing is actually REALLY COOL!

So then. Please count this as a +1 to either an automated multitouch gesture disabling or the ability to do it in-app via a toolbar button!

Thanks guys!

Please please please get rid of the "Wrist Protection" feature and just add a slide up Wrist Rest panel please!

With 'Wrist Protection' on (aside from changing the fluidity of writing - it goes quite laggy), I still have to use a piece of cloth or something to rest my wrist on or it goes all crazy (and activates multitouch gestures etc).

I use Notability for other notes which aren't needed to sync into Evernote and I never have the same problems with their wrist rest.

I have been infrequently using evernote for school. When I got an iPad for the start of this semester, I was excited to use evernote and penultimate together and go paperless and be more organized. (Having a small child who digs through my book bag every time my back is turned makes staying organized with papers very difficult). Anyway, one of the things I was very excited about was integrating and organize my penultimate notes for class with notes, PDF files, and web pages from instructors for each of my classes incorrespondingevernotenotebooks. Less than a week into the semester and tonight I was disappointed to learn that it doesn't work very well.:(

I would like to see some auto sync options foreach notebook into evernote, so that each page of notes from, lets say my Eng 358 notebook, in penultimate is automatically sent as a new note to the corresponding Eng 358notebook that I have linked it with I evernote. Then, I would be able to arrange and organize those notes around the PDFs, web pages, and notes in my evernote 358 notebook. As an Eng edu major student who has a lot of notes, PDF, online readings, research paper and honors work to do this would make my life SOOO much better.

Also would like to see the ability to open PDF (like as an image) in penultimate so I can write ( stands out better than additional typing) on them just as I would a hard copy. Maybe there is already an app that works with evernote that does this?

I would love a feature that locks the side which I'm on, because I'm constantly unwittingly flipping through like 6 sides of paper when my palm gets too close to the right-end side of the screen (multitouch is turned off).

I aswell would love a text-box option for great chunks of text.

Please add a "sync to Evernote" feature.

A zoom function would be mint aswell.

Thanks!

Some good suggestions in this thread.

One from me - and apologies if I've somehow missed how to do it - but a selection tool would be great. Something that I could either drag in rectangle or square format, or free-form (eg a loose circle around stuff already written or drawn). Then the ability to DO something to that selection. One example would be to change the pen thickness of whatever is already inside the selection, or the colour, etc. Highlighting after the event, so to speak. Or just to move a selection somewhere else on the page.

By the way, I like how Penultimate handles the palmrest thing, by recognizing when something is being deliberately written or drawn away from the palm area, and prioritizes that input only. Very clever, and much better than the pull-up palm rest thingies on other note apps. But as someone already pointed out, that needs the multitouch gestures to be turned off, and it would be great if we could do that in just the app itself, not back in system settings.

Like RebaDee said: please add an option to LOCK an image in place. The Moleskine app does this elegantly, but its Evernote integration is spotty. I like the simpler setup and feel of Penultimate, and don't mind its limitations. But LOCKING an image in place (toggled, say, by a little LOCK in top right of image) would take away my biggest gripe with Penultimate.

I'm not sure why no one's mentioned this, but Penultimate DESPERATELY NEEDS true Evernote syncing. The manual exporting/overwriting is just not cutting it. They're able to do it in Skitch, so I see no reason why it's still not in Penultimate (particularly considering that Penultimate was acquired >6 months ago!)

Personally I was hoping for a Notability type app from Penultimate. I use Notability and love it but I need something that works with Evernote better. Sometimes I need to make detailed notes in my drawings and a text box option would be nice. Basically if you could make Notability work with Evernote or make a stronger competitor out of Penultimate. Either way would be awesome. Ability to change the look/theme more would be nice as well. Penultimate works very nicely for a lot of things I do, just would like to condense down data to one location.

I like a lot of these suggestions. Especially turn off multigestures only in penultimate. I have a new suggestion. I love the postit note look of images pasted into pages. I would love a feature to add editable postit type notes to the page.

Just started using Evernote but have been using Penultimate for a while.

I like to use Penultimate in portrait mode and thus my notes - after syncing into Evernote - are not in the correct orientation.

Is there a possibility to consider a "Rotate" command in Evernote for such documents?

Thanks!

the app works great on my ipad but i feel some more drawing options would be awesome! maybe a colorwheel would be cool. of curse the aim is not to turn it to some kind of photoshop knockoff, but again some more options would be cool. congrats again for an awesome app!!

I have another request. I like to be able to LOCK an image in place once I have it sized and where I want it. I am always inadvertently activating an image when I rest my stylus a microsecond too long, which is aggravating. I like to insert paper and pen puzzles and do them in penultimate and puzzling often comes with a thoughtful pen rest.

Archived