Using Evernote as a Science Notebook

mnsciteach

Greetings,

I teach science in a small rural high school (grades 7-12 in one building). Last year I used Google Docs as collaborative (small group) digital science notebooks. There are many features that I like about Docs, particularly the commenting feature. However, I do not have a 1:1 classroom and depsite my efforts to promote kids working together, some participated little in their groups. I wanted a way to better get kids involved individually, and thought if I included kids using thier own devices, along with those at school, I could make this more likely. The problem? The new Google Drive is read only on iOS mobile devices, which many of my kids own. So....knowing Evernote works on everything, I thought it might be a good alternative. I am one of those who downloaded Evernote at a colleagues's suggestion to my smart phone and never used it. I have started to play with it and am reaearching the web, so I have the basics, but I would like suggestions from those who may have used it more in this capacity or something similar. I am also concerned about the ability to do comment easily on student work, as they would be using the free version. Thank you!

• Level 5*

Greetings,

I teach science in a small rural high school (grades 7-12 in one building). Last year I used Google Docs as collaborative (small group) digital science notebooks. There are many features that I like about Docs, particularly the commenting feature. However, I do not have a 1:1 classroom and depsite my efforts to promote kids working together, some participated little in their groups. I wanted a way to better get kids involved individually, and thought if I included kids using thier own devices, along with those at school, I could make this more likely. The problem? The new Google Drive is read only on iOS mobile devices, which many of my kids own. So....knowing Evernote works on everything, I thought it might be a good alternative. I am one of those who downloaded Evernote at a colleagues's suggestion to my smart phone and never used it. I have started to play with it and am reaearching the web, so I have the basics, but I would like suggestions from those who may have used it more in this capacity or something similar. I am also concerned about the ability to do comment easily on student work, as they would be using the free version. Thank you!

Hi. Welcome to the discussion forums!

I am sure there are users in K-12 who can offer a lot more useful advice than I can, but here is one workflow I suggested for a similar situation. Be sure to check out the links there to Evernote resources as well.

• 2 months later...

I teach high school chemistry and is this is my first year using evernote. My students are usin EN as their laboratory notebook. They also use Skitch to incorporate graphics, etc. We are a 1:1 ipad school. Although I am liking the app, I find it hard to resolve issues with the ipad and apps. I would be happy to discuss further.

Archived