Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Evernote for Windows 4.5.8 Beta 1

evernote

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 emerick

emerick

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 523 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

I found another small issue: search and replace only seems to work on the first match, then the bar that pops up at the bottom of the note freezes and can only be closed.

Thanks for pointing that out, it's now fixed for the next 4.5.8 beta.
- Emerick Rogul (Evernote)

#22 Blake Burch

Blake Burch

• Title: Bushwhacker
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

Just wanted to pipe in and let y'all know that I'm having the same issue with the beta client. Just by pressing "Copy Note Link" -> Pasting into a note -> clicking link, the error occurs. Every so often, the error text will erase the note text completely!

Does the error occur every time you click the link or is it intermittent? Does it work when you click a link to an external site (i.e., does it open the site in your browser window)? What are the last couple of lines in Help -> Activity Log? Thanks...

I just downloaded the beta again and it took me a while, but I finally figured out how to reproduce the error. After clicking and dragging a note into a current note (which does nothing), all note links return with the error every time I click the link. Clicking links to an external site loads the site within evernote.

Before I clicked and dragged a note, external and internal notes all worked properly. I exited the program completely and retried this process to confirm it.

Last portion of the activity log:
09:47:47 [2868] Opening note link: "evernote:///view/703067/s6/70766b40-1b9e-4e87-b029-8c1c0bd10567/70766b40-1b9e-4e87-b029-8c1c0bd10567/"
09:48:56 [10004] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com
09:48:56 [10004] 0% * loaded updateCount: 2633
09:48:57 [10004] 0% Client is up to date with the server, updateCount=2633
09:48:57 [10004] 0% * saved updateCount: 2633
09:48:57 [10004] 0% Updating server items
09:48:57 [10004] 20% Updating server note "Error -302 when loading url evernote:..."
09:48:57 [10004] 20% * guid={70766b40-1b9e-4e87-b029-8c1c0bd10567}
09:48:58 [10004] 20% * updateCount: 2633 --> 2634
09:48:58 [10004] 40% Updating server note "miller lite"
09:48:58 [10004] 40% * guid={03fda4cb-2f76-48eb-9840-5222a7a36c29}
09:48:58 [10004] 40% * updateCount: 2634 --> 2635
09:48:58 [10004] 60% Creating server note "test"
09:48:59 [10004] 60% * guid={18d79ba4-ece1-43d4-acb4-fce7fe910840}
09:48:59 [10004] 60% * updateCount: 2635 --> 2636
09:48:59 [10004] 80% Creating server note "link to"
09:48:59 [10004] 80% * guid={369486f7-216a-4dfc-98fe-1d4bf5830180}
09:48:59 [10004] 80% * updateCount: 2636 --> 2637
09:48:59 [10004] 100% * saved updateCount: 2637
09:49:00 [10004] 100% Session terminated normally, elapsed time: 3s
09:49:00 [10004] 100% * sent: 2.6KB, received: 999B
09:49:00 [10004] 100% * 2s (63%) spent in EDAM RPC

EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests
HTC Thunderbolt running Android 2.3.7 ---- HP Touchsmart Laptop running Windows 7

#23 emerick

emerick

• 523 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

I just downloaded the beta again and it took me a while, but I finally figured out how to reproduce the error. After clicking and dragging a note into a current note (which does nothing), all note links return with the error every time I click the link. Clicking links to an external site loads the site within evernote.

Before I clicked and dragged a note, external and internal notes all worked properly. I exited the program completely and retried this process to confirm it.

Thanks, that helped me reproduce the problem! Looking into it now...

#24 vineetw

vineetw

• 95 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

The Evernote installation should check if Outlook is currently running. Updating Evernote while Outlook is running causes missing text on the Evernote buttons in Outlook.
To fix this I have to close Outlook and run the installation of Evernote once again. This happens here with Outlook 2010 32 Bit on my Windows 7 64 Bit system.

Thanks for the report - ticket #5001 has been filed

#25 vineetw

vineetw

• 95 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

I agree with Steve, the simply formatting option doesn't work for me either. Besides, another thing which I have noticed is this - the "Synchronization Failed" message which you get when it cannot connect to the evernote server due to lack of an Internet Connection - just keeps popping up without a moment's break. Earlier, it would try to sync once, and if it didn't work, it would show that message and try syncing again after 15 minutes. Now, the whole screen is flooded with pop ups (they just don't stop lining up) and its very distracting to work within the client, in such a scenario. Ulimately I have to log out and wait for the connection.

Could this issue be related to this beta release? I'd appreciate any feedback regarding the same. Thanks....

Thanks for the report - ticket #5000 has been filed

#26 emerick

emerick

• 523 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

We've tracked down and fixed the problem that was causing us to load external links within the note editor. The fix will be available in the next 4.5.8 beta. Thanks to everyone for the assistance with this, we appreciate it.

#27 lenarr

lenarr

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • Group: Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

Emerick, this beta is driving me CRAZY. I actually filed a bug report yesterday morning (Ticket #16051-126575) and the ticket system classified it as a syncing problem per the subject line of the report I got. Tech support about that has been beyond disappointing.

Under a deadline to prepare a meeting agenda yesterday morning, I was editing Note A. I clicked on a link to note B and the entire content of Note A disappeared, replaced with

Error -302 when loading url evernote:///view/5313419/s48/9f5c7fae-ac38-4cb2-8cc8-ac81d1055786/9f5c7fae-ac38-4cb2-8cc8-ac81d1055786/

The content of my meeting agenda was no longer in EN -- I searched all the notes -- GONE with a POOF!. I immediately turned off auto-syncing and searched for my content on the web version of EN. Gone. I finally found it on my Android phone, which fortunately had synced all but the most recent changes, and managed to restore it.

After I backed up the content to gmail, I restored sync capability and my original Note A, created on 4/30, ended up in the Conflicting Changes folder (this, because I restored the note from my Android). It still says "Error -302 when loading url evernote:///view/5313419/s48/9f5c7fae-ac38-4cb2-8cc8-ac81d1055786/9f5c7fae-ac38-4cb2-8cc8-ac81d1055786/"

Note B is still intact in my EN -- no problems with it. No clue what Error -302 is or why it presented itself when I tried to open

I did NOT appreciate wasting 30 minutes yesterday morning pursuing my content and writing a bug report.

So just now something similar happened again, like posts #22 and 25 of this thread. I had a note with several external URLs that I intended to check out. I clicked on the first and my EN note became a browser.

Click on the back button and my link list -- the original content of my note -- isn't restored. GONE. Even the note title is gone, replaced by the web page title. WTF? GONE.

I HATE THIS. "Fix available on next 4.5.8 beta" is not acceptable to me. I cannot work like this. My entire EN system is based on interlinked notes, and I can't have content disappearing at random. I can deal with copying and pasting URLs on to my browser when it's an http: note, but not with EN internal notes behaving erratically.

Another bug -- Simplify Formatting even more broken than usual.

Finally, it would be nice if I could paste from EN to gmail (or this forum!) without having to reduce the size of the font. My default in EN is Tahoma 10 but when I paste it to gmail it becomes the equivalent of 12.

Or when I paste it here:

Error -302 when loading url evernote:///view/5313419/s48/9f5c7fae-ac38-4cb2-8cc8-ac81d1055786/9f5c7fae-ac38-4cb2-8cc8-ac81d1055786/

I spend a lot of time fixing formatting when I paste from EN. The annoyance adds up. Or give the option to copy unformatted text so that I don't have to remember different programs' commands for paste plain text.

And I also don't like the "mystery beta capabilities" that this thread started with -- until I read through all the posts, I didn't know if this lunacy of "browser opening on my note destroys my note" was on purpose or not.

I'm going back to the non-beta version. Please let me know when this is fixed.

Respectfully, this beta was really a pain.

lena

Running EN on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit and Android

#28 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

Emerick, this beta is driving me CRAZY.
. . .
Under a deadline to prepare a meeting agenda yesterday morning,

. . .

I did NOT appreciate wasting 30 minutes yesterday morning pursuing my content and writing a bug report.

lena

Lena, as you are no doubt painfully aware, the recent betas for both EN Win and EN Mac have had more bugs, and more serious and destructive bugs, that I have ever seen in the past.

I'm not sure why this is, but after being a beta user/tester for years, I have now changed my EN options/prefs to NOT update to beta versions. For me, the rewards/benefits of getting quicker access to new features is no longer worth the risk of losing use of Evernote, or even worse, losing Evernote text and/or attachments.

IMO, Evernote Win and Mac teams need to do a much better job of testing and QA BEFORE they release the Betas for public use.

#29 FactMan

FactMan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 514 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

And if they do discover they have released a version with major bugs that weren't there before, they need to do a better job of releasing the fix. A while ago updates were coming out at least once a week. That seems to have slowed to maybe once every 3-4 weeks? Is it not possible to fix the broken versions, then save the "new features" releases for another day?

#30 dlu

dlu

• 2,411 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

Emerick, this beta is driving me CRAZY. I actually filed a bug report yesterday morning (Ticket #16051-126575) and the ticket system classified it as a syncing problem per the subject line of the report I got. Tech support about that has been beyond disappointing.

Under a deadline to prepare a meeting agenda yesterday morning, I was editing Note A. I clicked on a link to note B and the entire content of Note A disappeared, replaced with

The content of my meeting agenda was no longer in EN -- I searched all the notes -- GONE with a POOF!. I immediately turned off auto-syncing and searched for my content on the web version of EN. Gone. I finally found it on my Android phone, which fortunately had synced all but the most recent changes, and managed to restore it.

After I backed up the content to gmail, I restored sync capability and my original Note A, created on 4/30, ended up in the Conflicting Changes folder (this, because I restored the note from my Android). It still says "Error -302 when loading url evernote:///view/5313419/s48/9f5c7fae-ac38-4cb2-8cc8-ac81d1055786/9f5c7fae-ac38-4cb2-8cc8-ac81d1055786/"

Note B is still intact in my EN -- no problems with it. No clue what Error -302 is or why it presented itself when I tried to open

So just now something similar happened again, like posts #22 and 25 of this thread. I had a note with several external URLs that I intended to check out. I clicked on the first and my EN note became a browser.

Click on the back button and my link list -- the original content of my note -- isn't restored. GONE. Even the note title is gone, replaced by the web page title. WTF? GONE.

I HATE THIS. "Fix available on next 4.5.8 beta" is not acceptable to me. I cannot work like this. My entire EN system is based on interlinked notes, and I can't have content disappearing at random. I can deal with copying and pasting URLs on to my browser when it's an http: note, but not with EN internal notes behaving erratically.

Another bug -- Simplify Formatting even more broken than usual.

Finally, it would be nice if I could paste from EN to gmail (or this forum!) without having to reduce the size of the font. My default in EN is Tahoma 10 but when I paste it to gmail it becomes the equivalent of 12.

Or when I paste it here:

I spend a lot of time fixing formatting when I paste from EN. The annoyance adds up. Or give the option to copy unformatted text so that I don't have to remember different programs' commands for paste plain text.

And I also don't like the "mystery beta capabilities" that this thread started with -- until I read through all the posts, I didn't know if this lunacy of "browser opening on my note destroys my note" was on purpose or not.

I'm going back to the non-beta version. Please let me know when this is fixed.

lena

Hi Lena,

Thanks for posting, and we're very sorry about this bug. We appreciate your feedback and everyone's help with this. You'll notice that Emerick's been active on this thread (even over the weekend) and working hard to get in a fix ASAP.

I completely understand you jumping to a non-beta version. I'll post when a beta 2 is out with this fixed.
If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

Check out our Knowledgebase.
View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows
Check out the Getting Started Guide
Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#31 dlu

dlu

• 2,411 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

Lena, as you are no doubt painfully aware, the recent betas for both EN Win and EN Mac have had more bugs, and more serious and destructive bugs, that I have ever seen in the past.

I'm not sure why this is, but after being a beta user/tester for years, I have now changed my EN options/prefs to NOT update to beta versions. For me, the rewards/benefits of getting quicker access to new features is no longer worth the risk of losing use of Evernote, or even worse, losing Evernote text and/or attachments.

IMO, Evernote Win and Mac teams need to do a much better job of testing and QA BEFORE they release the Betas for public use.

We're always working on making sure our apps are stable. We've grown our test cases, test notes, QA resources and more. It isn't perfect, but we'll keep pushing at it and making it better.
If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

#32 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

We're always working on making sure our apps are stable. We've grown our test cases, test notes, QA resources and more. It isn't perfect, but we'll keep pushing at it and making it better.

dlu, this sounds great!

But how do you explain the increase in serious bugs for both EN Win and EN Mac in the last few Beta releases?
These betas are not consistent with increased testing and QA.

#33 dlu

dlu

• 2,411 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

And if they do discover they have released a version with major bugs that weren't there before, they need to do a better job of releasing the fix. A while ago updates were coming out at least once a week. That seems to have slowed to maybe once every 3-4 weeks? Is it not possible to fix the broken versions, then save the "new features" releases for another day?

The short answer is, it depends. There's some logistics involved and many moving parts. Sometimes the new features we're working on are affected by the reported bugs. Or the fixes to these bugs affect upcoming features.

And sometimes a bug is reported, confirmed or fixed after we've done quite a bit of development and we're far enough down the rabbit hole where it is quicker to develop a fix going forward, rather than trying to go back and surgically insert a fix and remove certain pieces of code.

There's also the question of how much time we want to give QA to test any fixes we do have. Sometimes we find that our initial fix addresses part of the problem, but there are still other ways to get the bug to happen. So one fix turns into two fixes and so on.

There are also other factors that go on, but I think you get the point. (If it were easy, I might not have a job!), but we'll keep trying to speed things up.

#34 FactMan

FactMan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:36 AM

Thanks for the explanation, dlu. I guess if we didn't have bugs to find and complain about, we'd have to complain about the weather or something! I do think it is wonderful to have the opportunity to provide such extensive feedback on a program, and to know that there are dedicated souls trying to fix the issues that we raise. I guess we should all feel satisfied that we are helping to improve the program, even if it is one line of code at a time!

#35 dlu

dlu

• 2,411 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

dlu, this sounds great!

But how do you explain the increase in serious bugs for both EN Win and EN Mac in the last few Beta releases?
These betas are not consistent with increased testing and QA.

I went back to check and saw the long discussion from the 3.3.0 Beta 1 where you decided to stop using the betas. So while we're at risk of diverging too far from the topic of the Windows 4.5.8 Beta 1, I'll say that Jackolicious and I will sit down, do a retrospective and see what we can learn.

#36 lenarr

lenarr

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:49 AM

JMichael and others, thanks for your replies. I did revert to the stable version on the computer I use the most since I can't deal with my data disappearing ad hoc. On my laptop, I'll use it very mindfully, turning off auto sync so that at least the original note is saved somewhere.

I've never had such a negative experience with EN betas. Stuff happens. Fine. But what does turn me off -- very much -- is that this buggy version is out, we all know it destroys data, yet none of the beta testers have been advised of this issue. In the same fashion that you put out a new beta and manage to know what version of EN I'm running, can't you just make a screen pop up warning those who are running this version, who may still inadvertently still lose notes?

FWIW, *I* had to tell the person working on my bug report that the problem I reported was caused by a beta bug. He was totally unaware.

Finally, I read somewhere in this thread that this bug surfaced because of an implementation of "Chromium" which I presume is the capability to open webpages and links to other notes in one sole note as if it were a browser window. I'm going to BEG the developers that they make this an OPTIONAL capability. Please don't mess with my workflow to the extent that you force me to use EN as a browser. I can see how this would be useful on my Evo phone, but on a windows platform I would hate it.

Thanks,
lena

Running EN on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit and Android

#37 csihilling

csihilling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

The short answer is, it depends. There's some logistics involved and many moving parts. Sometimes the new features we're working on are affected by the reported bugs. Or the fixes to these bugs affect upcoming features.

And sometimes a bug is reported, confirmed or fixed after we've done quite a bit of development and we're far enough down the rabbit hole where it is quicker to develop a fix going forward, rather than trying to go back and surgically insert a fix and remove certain pieces of code.

There's also the question of how much time we want to give QA to test any fixes we do have. Sometimes we find that our initial fix addresses part of the problem, but there are still other ways to get the bug to happen. So one fix turns into two fixes and so on.

There are also other factors that go on, but I think you get the point. (If it were easy, I might not have a job!), but we'll keep trying to speed things up.

When you have data destructive bugs, the short answer is kill the beta, tell foks to go back to public, and release the beta when the destruction is removed. I lost a couple of notes before realizing what was going on. I get beta, but a beta that shoots data needs to be quarantined. Not acceptable. Back to public here.
Cal

#38 Jesmen

Jesmen

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

When updating Evernote to 4.5.8 Beta it shows as 4.5.8.7220 GA Release. Is this a mistake or...?

#39 dlu

dlu

• 2,411 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

The release notes

When updating Evernote to 4.5.8 Beta it shows as 4.5.8.7220 GA Release. Is this a mistake or...?

That's a mistake on my part.

#40 dlu

dlu

• 2,411 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

JMichael and others, thanks for your replies. I did revert to the stable version on the computer I use the most since I can't deal with my data disappearing ad hoc. On my laptop, I'll use it very mindfully, turning off auto sync so that at least the original note is saved somewhere.

I've never had such a negative experience with EN betas. Stuff happens. Fine. But what does turn me off -- very much -- is that this buggy version is out, we all know it destroys data, yet none of the beta testers have been advised of this issue. In the same fashion that you put out a new beta and manage to know what version of EN I'm running, can't you just make a screen pop up warning those who are running this version, who may still inadvertently still lose notes?

FWIW, *I* had to tell the person working on my bug report that the problem I reported was caused by a beta bug. He was totally unaware.

Finally, I read somewhere in this thread that this bug surfaced because of an implementation of "Chromium" which I presume is the capability to open webpages and links to other notes in one sole note as if it were a browser window. I'm going to BEG the developers that they make this an OPTIONAL capability. Please don't mess with my workflow to the extent that you force me to use EN as a browser. I can see how this would be useful on my Evo phone, but on a windows platform I would hate it.

Thanks,
lena

We have a fix for this bug coming out soon. This is not at all an intended behavior. It won't be an optional capability or anything, it is simply a bug. EN is not supposed to be a browser.
We've also rolled back the update stream to the previous beta (which will prevent other beta users updating to this release), but because of the technical setup, we can't send users to a previous version automatically.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote