(Archived) Evernote 3.3.0 Beta 1

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

Hey Mac forum!

I'm happy to announce our next beta! This should start to address a lot of forum issues, so let us know what you think.

Improvements

• Premium Feature: Account Switching
  • Enable CMD-Shift-d (insert date) in title area
  • Activity Feed has clickable regions, not just links
  • Checkboxes act more like bullets
  • Activity Feed rolls up some recent events

Bug Fixes

• Search: quoted searches behave more consistently
  • Client beachballs when moving multiple notes within a stack via drag and drop
  • Multi-select in Snow Leopard may beachball
  • Multiselect: The notebook name does not display fully in "Move to notebook" drop down list when users select a long notebook name (Lion)
  • Left Nav hides tags/saved searches
  • Preferences: WebClipper page does not display when users click on "Download the Evernote web clipper" button in Clipping tab
  • Graphics: Enable automatic switching of discrete/integrated graphics

Make sure to drag the current Evernote app from the Applications folder to the trash, then you can download the latest version here: http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/prerelease/Evernote_300144.dmg

Enjoy!

Jack

58 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

(9) No sync

- Evernote says I need to connect to the Internet to sync. I am (assuming you can see this message!), so something is going wrong somewhere inside of the service. This is the first time I have seen a message like this.

I have a request regarding checkboxes: It used to be that checkboxes printed on paper almost exactly as they appear on-screen. When checked, they printed with the blue tint, etc. That changed some time ago. Now checkboxes print as a small plain box. When checked, the tiny checkmark inside the box is very easy to overlook and miss.

Please restore the old style where WYSIWYG applies very literally to the checkboxes.

• Level 5*

(5) Shared Notebooks

- I synced my account and tried to share a notebook, but I was taken to the "Accounts" tab and only saw a blank page. I was unable to set up the shared notebook until I pressed "Manage Sharing." This seems like a bug, but if it is not, I would recommend guiding users to that button.

(6) Note Conflict with Synced Notebooks

- An odd error that occurred when two users deleted the same note and then tried to sync. See screenshot and explanation https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/03ed5c96-f7ab-4c35-a247-b9fefc2e2762/165c861bae640de3731be0b1f2014b64

Not sure if this is an issue from past versions, but when I highlight text that has a link attached to it and try to replace it with the past function. The text and link disappear, but the new text is not being added.

Initial thoughts:

(2) The searches with quotation marks around them may be working more consistently, but I cannot tell yet. For example, a search for "evernote" turns up 619 hits on my Mac, 1016 on the Web, and 1016 on the iOS beta. Maybe, if you could be more specific on what changed, I could test to those improvements and see the results improve.

I just tried to search within a note using quotation marks and received No results

Evernote_quotation_search_not_working_-20120723-140007.png.png

when there are at least 13 references to the phrase in my note that I can see right now.

Evernote___sproutsocial_search-20120723-135906.png.png

Will there ever be a tag column in list view so that you can sort by tag? This has been in the Windows version for ages, is a really obvious feature and, although I'm not a programmer, doesn't seem like a really tricky thing to do. Like a lot of users I capture stuff into Evernote using my phone and Mac and it's often not convenient to tag it as I capture it. So being able later to easily find untagged items is essential. Either that our put an UNTAGGED pick under the Tags section.

Other than that you're doing great job :)

I second this! We're looking for parity!

Thanks for keeping the forum requests in mind - we appreciate it.

• Level 5*

(7) Mystery notes

- When opening in full screen, Evernote seems to generate lots of notes that aren't really there -- I can see them, but they are not in my account. They have no titles, no notebooks, and strange created dates. See screenshot here https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/c63d51fe-96f9-4762-9fa2-db8fc5548430/2e860b113d5da243b550d2889eb01641

• Level 5*

(8) Encrypted PDFs displaying incorrectly

- Sometimes encrypted PDFs just display as red bars in OSX. See the screenshot in the shared note below. The PDFs display fine as attachments in iOS, though I am having a separate issue in iOS with the files.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/a34cbced-46b6-4904-8eb2-8b68aedfe821/f27935b3b42fab03098ef21d86298fc2

• Level 5*

(9) No sync

- Evernote says I need to connect to the Internet to sync. I am (assuming you can see this message!), so something is going wrong somewhere inside of the service. This is the first time I have seen a message like this.

Wow. So the serious, debilitating bugs continue in the EN Mac betas.

I'm very glad I did NOT update to this beta.

• Level 5*

(9) No sync

Wow. So the serious, debilitating bugs continue in the EN Mac betas.

I'm very glad I did NOT update to this beta.

I closed the app and started again. No big deal. It is a bug that ought to be fixed, of course, but "serious" and "debilitating" sounds like hyperbole to me.

• Level 5*

I guess it depends on how often you have to restart Evernote. If it's more often than once an hour, I would call that debilitating.

Syncing is critical to the usability of Evernote. Anything that affects syncing is serious.

IAC, this is bug #9 that you have reported. That's a lot IMO.

• Level 5*

I guess it depends on how often you have to restart Evernote. If it's more often than once an hour, I would call that debilitating.

Syncing is critical to the usability of Evernote. Anything that affects syncing is serious.

As I said, this is the only time I have seen this bug, so it isn't common by any means. As for the 9 bugs, I just report everything I see, big or small. The number isn't significant.

[EDIT:] I just went through the list of bugs, and in my opinion, none of them are serious. They are minor annoyances, at best.

• Level 5*

(10) Request Regarding Monthly Usage

- Please consider a revision to the payment plans so that we can more easily purchase an upgrade of 1GB for a month. Why? Like many people, I wait until the end of the month (the last day) to dump all of my files into my account (I have hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes to go, but for now, I prioritize and get them in there little by little). I have 0KB left and less than 1 day to go. I cannot make notes (except in a newly created local notebook), I cannot sync notes from the iPad, and I will not purchase 1GB, because (as I understand it) that 1GB will only be usable for a few hours. Am I understanding the additional purchase of 1GB correctly? If so, I think the way the current monthly usage model is structured discourages us from purchasing it.

- What about offering us the ability to buy an extra gigabyte and restarting our month from that point with whatever we have leftover from last month appended to it?

• Level 5*

Speak of the devil, there it is again.

"Evernote is unable to connect with the Evernote Service. This may be due to a network problem or service maintenance. Please try again later. If enabled, automatic synchronization will resume once the Service becomes available."

This time, though, I think it probably has something to do with the fact that my monthly upload limit has been reached (I have 0KB left). This has created a bit of a mess, because I have notes on my iPad that are sitting around unsynced, and notes from Evernote account that I literally cannot edit (nevermind sync) .

"The operation you are trying to perform cannot be completed because it would exceed your upload allowance for this month. You can purchase an additional gigabyte to keep adding notes. Your current monthly allowance will reset in 1 day."

Everything has ground to a halt here at Casa de GrumpyMonkey. I would be happy to pay more, but I have to figure out if I am going to get more than a few hours out of it. Time to try EN chat :)

• Level 5*

Update on #10

Well, according to the friendly representative in the chat, there is no way to know how much longer I have (beyond "less than 1 day"), an extra 1GB would only be good for the unknown number of hours I have left, and there is nothing else that can be done.

I'm fine, and it's no big deal, but it's a shame I won't be able to part with my money, Evernote won't be able to accept it, and I'm going to have to take a break from my notes for a while. Surely there must be a better way to structure this. It's not a Mac problem, of course, but something to keep in mind if Evernote ever revisits the system.

• Level 5*

(11) Cannot Create Notes

- If I create a notebook in my account that has the same name as a notebook that someone has shared with me, then Evernote seems to interpret any attempt by me to create a note as one to create a note in the shared notebook, and if that notebook is read-only, I am not able to create a note. I have confirmed this with multiple notebooks. Fortunately, I don't use many notebooks (I was just creating a temporary one for sharing purposes) and most of the shared notebooks I have joined have names I am unlikely to use. That probably explains why I haven't encountered this issue yet.

• Level 5*

(12) Odd Behavior

- First, I do not know if this is a "beta" issue, or just a problem with my database. I think it is probably my database. I will send an Activity Report and probably just rebuild the whole thing to make sure.

- Search results are wildly inconsistent across devices. I think Android is so far off that it is obviously not working properly (a whole other issue for me to explore), but OSX and the Web are not matching up. This could be a "search" problem, my database, or the OSX beta. I've reported this elsewhere, but I think I need to do a lot more testing to see what is going on there. Unfortunately...

- The app hangs up every time now on a note with "invalid content". This could be a problem with that note (a plain text file I dragged into Evernote, so it is difficult to imagine what is in there that could be causing the issue). It could be a problem with the beta. Or, because the note literally does not exist in my account (I deleted it the first time I saw the error), it could be my database. At this point, there appears to be no way to get past this error.

- In title sort I can no longer scroll past the "n"s. The fact that the non-existent note throwing up the error is titled "nakamura" could have something to do with this. Again, this may have nothing at all to do with the beta, but could just be my account.

-

• Level 5*

(12) Odd Behavior

- First, I do not know if this is a "beta" issue, or just a problem with my database. I think it is probably my database. I will send an Activity Report and probably just rebuild the whole thing to make sure.

. . .

Again, this may have nothing at all to do with the beta, but could just be my account.

If this issue is not limited to the current EN Mac Beta, then it is even more serious.

What is Evernote's response to this issue?

• Level 5*

(12) Odd Behavior

. . .

Again, this may have nothing at all to do with the beta, but could just be my account.

If this issue is not limited to the current EN Mac Beta, then it is even more serious.

What is Evernote's response to this issue?

It's Sunday, so no answer, but I guess it isn't really a question either. Just an observation about what I am seeing. I haven't seen any other reports like this, so it doesn't appear widespread.

I am in the midst of downloading now. I started at 11:58 and six hours later it isn't ready yet, so my only suggestion at this point would be to change the wording on the dialog box for initial syncs from minutes to hours (or in my case, days), because I think it might be confusing for users with large accounts who, for example, set up on a new machine.

It would be nice to be up and running quickly, as we can on iOS, but that might require offline/online notebooks, which I have been hoping to see on the desktops :)

Will there ever be a tag column in list view so that you can sort by tag? This has been in the Windows version for ages, is a really obvious feature and, although I'm not a programmer, doesn't seem like a really tricky thing to do. Like a lot of users I capture stuff into Evernote using my phone and Mac and it's often not convenient to tag it as I capture it. So being able later to easily find untagged items is essential. Either that our put an UNTAGGED pick under the Tags section.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but something that I just discovered was the "Attributes" section. It somehow slipped past my recognition or it could be new, but I know it has the ability to show notes that have checkboxes that are completed and not completed. Does that help?

Two things: Just to make sure you know, this forum is viewable by the public.

Secondly: I'm new to the desktop beta, so I don't know if this has been already addressed in this beta, but I've noticed (for quite sometime) that Evernote seems to struggle to open after the computer was restarted or Evernote was quit out of, when it was in fullscreen mode. I'm not sure how much of this has to do with Apple's "open and restart where you left off" features that Apple has been pushing since Lion (I think).

• Level 5*

Two things: Just to make sure you know, this forum is viewable by the public.

Secondly: I'm new to the desktop beta, so I don't know if this has been already addressed in this beta, but I've noticed (for quite sometime) that Evernote seems to struggle to open after the computer was restarted or Evernote was quit out of, when it was in fullscreen mode. I'm not sure how much of this has to do with Apple's "open and restart where you left off" features that Apple has been pushing since Lion (I think).

Hi. The Mac beta forum has been public for a long time, so I think Evernote staff (was that who you were addressing?) are OK with it. As for the second point, we are out of beta now, so I'd recommend checking out the public version and seeing what you think. It is certainly not "fast" to load on my MBA, but it is OK for me.

• Level 5*

Initial thoughts:

(1) Account switching: This is a huge time-saver. Thanks so much for adding this feature. If I could make a suggestion, I would say you should have user names display instead of emails associated with the accounts. I think this would be easier for most people to remember.

(2) The searches with quotation marks around them may be working more consistently, but I cannot tell yet. For example, a search for "evernote" turns up 619 hits on my Mac, 1016 on the Web, and 1016 on the iOS beta. Maybe, if you could be more specific on what changed, I could test to those improvements and see the results improve.

(3) CMD-Shift-d in the title area works as expected, but I still would like to see the international format YYYYMMDD, and if possible, YYMMDD as options. This makes a huge difference in ordering notes (for me).

(4) The Activity Feed clickable regions work nicely.

(5) I'd have the ads left on as a default and allow Premium users to turn them off. I had them on, deleted my previous installation, and installed this new version, so lost my preferences (I assume). I suppose there will not be many Premium users doing new installs, but it still seems like a setting better left on than off.

Thank you for the checkmarks acting like bullets, this is huge for me!

We aim to please :)

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the checkmarks act like bullets? I don't see how they've changed. They aren't indented, or hanging-indented, like bullets...

Also, when you refer to quoted searches, does that mean they've addressed the search bug I reported earlier? That problem wasn't limited to quoted searches, so I'm not sure if it's related. I'd have to download a fresh db to check, so I'd like to know if they think they fixed it before I go to the trouble.

Thanks

• Level 5*

(1) Beachballing

- I've had a beachball for a few minutes. Sync is glowing without movement and sync status is showing "Processing tag changes..." I just put a few PDFs into my account. I pressed the sync button, went into one note while the sync was occurring, and added a new tag to it. I think I am going to force the program to... It just came back to life. Lindsey Holmes (one of our Evernote Ambassadors) may be to blame! She deleted her shared notebook with 50+ notes in it. Is it possible that the problem wasn't with my account, but with the new Activity view and shared notebooks?

(2) Bizarre Note Conflict / Shared Notebooks

- This is related to Lindsey (Curses! I gotta email her and get her to stop this destructive behavior!). I have two note conflicts in my account, but these are notes of hers that appear to have been in her shared notebook (tags and all). I don't remember putting them into my account at any point in the past, so why am I seeing these? The tags are not showing up anywhere in my account (they should, even if they are in a Conflicted Changes notebook), and they are not counting towards my overall note count (notes in this notebook usually do, right?). So, it appears that I have somehow had data put into my account by someone who shared a notebook. I am syncing now and have a massive download -- I am guessing this is Lindsey again. Will update shortly. [EDIT:] Confirmed. Lindsey's notebook is on its way back into my account. I'll post a link to a screenshot of the conflicted notes as soon as the sync finishes.

https://www.evernote...a9b79b653f82890

[EDIT:] The bugs posted are real, but the outrage is not. I am just kidding, of course, and I encourage everyone to take a look at Lindsey's excellent shared notebooks (She's in my master list here at http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/sharednotebooks.html).

I got beach balls everywhere. I previously had Evernote installed via the App Store. Then I deleted the app to trash, followed instructions on install of the latest download of Evernote and waited for 7 hours for the sync to occur (yea I have 3800+ notes).

Issues so far:

• Crashes entire OS Lion - freezes everything. That never happens with my finely tuned Mac
  • Fired up Parallels on my Mac to see if it was a Mac thing - same thing non responsive on the Windows side even after new version update
  • Web - I am getting some beach balls on the web side as well

Is there a server or database issue post the problems you guys had a week or so ago??? This is killing me. 8 hours of not being able to use EN... I have NEVER had this before.

Please help - can't be the only one experiencing this issue.

• Level 5*

Re: 3, is that a persistent error that doesn't go away?

Yes and no. I've had it (at least) since the last public version, so in that sense, it is a persistent problem. However, it doesn't occur every time I use the app.

• Level 5*
Lindsey Holmes (one of our Evernote Ambassadors) may be to blame! She deleted her shared notebook with 50+ notes in it. Is it possible that the problem wasn't with my account, but with the new Activity view and shared notebooks?

Why would you blame Lindsey? Whatever action Lindsey took, it is an Evernote problem if it is not handing the action correctly.

Clearly, the actions of the owner of a Shared Notebook should NOT have any adverse impact on the users who have added the Shared Notebook to their account.

• Level 5*

(4) Formatting Inconsistency

- On the Mac, my note looks great, with no space between Geoff and Heather, but on the Web it looks completely different, with a huge gap between them (see https://www.evernote...73dd9eac5cdd072). On Android it renders the same way as it does on the Web, so I am thinking that this is a Mac issue. Any suggestions for how I can fix this?

• Level 5*

I think he meant it in jest and you're right. It should be the responsibility of EN to handle that situation properly.

I thought so, but it was not clear, and might be misunderstood by some readers. Better to get it on the record rather than to let it mislead people.

• Level 5*
Lindsey Holmes (one of our Evernote Ambassadors) may be to blame! She deleted her shared notebook with 50+ notes in it. Is it possible that the problem wasn't with my account, but with the new Activity view and shared notebooks?

Why would you blame Lindsey? Whatever action Lindsey took, it is an Evernote problem if it is not handing the action correctly.

Clearly, the actions of the owner of a Shared Notebook should NOT have any adverse impact on the users who have added the Shared Notebook to their account.

It's cool that you are standing up for her and clarifying responsibilities!

Just to clarify, though: I was posting it here as a bug because I consider this to be EN's responsibility to fix (I am sure they neither want to promote beach balls nor conflicted notes), but I was attempting to do so in a humorous way (perhaps I had too much coffee and it was too early in the morning for me to be doing that). It apparently didn't convey the message I meant to send. I can assure you, though, that Lindsey was fine with it. In fact, it generated a great conversation by private message about a cool devcup entry I had seen, but not yet tried.

Anyhow, carry on with the beta testing everyone! I'll try not sidetrack things too much with my poorly calibrated sense of humor :)

• Level 5*

Anyhow, carry on with the beta testing everyone! I'll try not sidetrack things too much with my poorly calibrated sense of humor :)

I think I may sit out this Beta version. It seems to have too many major issues based on early reports. :(

I can't afford to either lose use of Evernote, nor impair operation of my Mac.

• Level 5*

I think I may sit out this Beta version. It seems to have too many major issues based on early reports. :(

I've listed my issues, but they are par for the course, and nothing more than what I would expect with any beta. After all, that is what I am here for: to test it out in the wild, report back, and give them the data they need to iron out the bugs. The more testing we do, the better the product is for everyone. I hope my poorly executed humorous posts did not discourage you. I'm actually quite pleased with the release, and I hope that came through as well -- this is a big step forward, especially if you have more than one account.

However, a beta is a beta, and as such, it carries the potential for inconveniences. You have to do what is best for your situation :)

May be a silly question but I need to make sure.

If after installing the beta version 3.3.1, I would like to return to the previous release (version 3.2), is safe to do or I can have problems with my notes?

The database is the same? (I use Mac OS 10.6.8, Snow Leopard)

@Dean, If you're having beach balls on the web and throughout your system, it sounds like a more systematic issue.

@Jackolicious - "Beach Balls everywhere" means that only when Evernote is open. It only started happening recently, like 2 days ago, and the only change has been the Evernote Database issues. No beachballs anywhere when Evernote is not running. I have performed all possible issues using the tools I have always used and no issues are found.

In the logs it does show Evernote sync issues. It freezes my entire system after it's open for an hour or so. That never happens. As a premium user, I need support to look at the logs I guess. Not blaming anyone right now, but it appears that Evernote app is the issue. It bugs out often now.

• Level 5*

I've listed my issues, but they are par for the course, and nothing more than what I would expect with any beta.

GM, below is the type of major issue that I was referring to. I can't take the risk of this happening to my system.

In the logs it does show Evernote sync issues. It freezes my entire system after it's open for an hour or so. That never happens. As a premium user, I need support to look at the logs I guess. Not blaming anyone right now, but it appears that Evernote app is the issue. It bugs out often now.

• Level 5*

I've listed my issues, but they are par for the course, and nothing more than what I would expect with any beta.

GM, below is the type of major issue that I was referring to. I can't take the risk of this happening to my system.

That wouldn't be fun, to be sure. However, I don't know if it is connected to Evernote or not, so there isn't much to say at this point. I've been using it pretty much 24/7 since it was made available, and I haven't had any trouble like that. You might want to stay tuned.

• Level 5*

GM, it is a risk vs reward scenario. There is nothing in the Beta that is worth the risk of losing the use of EN or my Mac in general.

Unlike you, I do NOT view it as my responsibility to debug EN. To be honest, I feel that they need to do a better job of QA internally before publishing a beta. Any public beta that either results in loss of data, or major loss of functionality is unacceptable since I cannot test a beta independent of the public released version of EN.

Archived