(Archived) Can I Revert back To The Non-Mac App Store Version?

ewaves

Idea

I got Evernote from the Mac App Store.

I just exported all my notes, both in the proprietary format and in HTML format.

Can I delete the Mac App Store version, install the regular downloadable version, and then re-import my notes into it?

Thank you.

16 replies to this idea

My System Info:

OS Mountain Lion 10.8.1

No Offline Files (All my files were synched in the cloud on Evernote's Servers)

1) Quit Evernote

2) Quit the Elephant Helper in the Menubar

3) Delete your App from the Applications Directory.

4) Delete these two directories com.evernote.* com.evernote.helper (I forget the names)

that are located here ~/Library/Containers and delete Evernote Helper

Download 3.3 from here → http://evernote.com/...ile=EvernoteMac

Reinstall.

To confirm you have the non-appstore version just check to see if you have an 'Software Update' icon in your preference top navigation.

Done.

Thank goodness. Welcome back 'Save PDF to Evernote'

***Edit/Update***

This post does not work in every situation, and did not take into account any offline files you might have stored in Evernote. Please read the moderators post below on what to be cautious about with the instructions above.

As of December 11, 2012, these instructions need updating. For example, after deleting EN from the app store, I cannot find the directories or the helper files described above. However, when I install EN from the Evernote web page, I get a message saying there is an app store version on my Mac.

The Evernote-from-Evernote version has correctly replaced the app store version, but I don't know if I have any extraneous files on my Mac, and since it is an Air with limited space, I would like to get it cleaned up.

Any ideas?

Do you guys need me to do anything? Sorry about the hasty post. It was late and I had such a frustrating time finding any information that would help me solve my problem, so I decided to publish the post hoping it would help someone else. Let me know if you need me to edit anything.

Thanks,

Brian

Good call.

1) Quit Evernote

2) Quit the Elephant Helper in the Menubar

3) Delete your App from the Applications Directory.

4) Delete these two directories com.evernote.* com.evernote.helper (I forget the names)

that are located here ~/Library/Containers and delete Evernote Helper

Download 3.3 from here

Reinstall.

To confirm you have the non-appstore version just check to see if you have an 'Software Update' icon in your preference top navigation.

Done.

Thank goodness. Welcome back 'Save PDF to Evernote'

Those instructions are great except for two things:

1. If a user has local notebooks (non-synced notebooks), they should back those notebooks up first.
  2. Never download Evernote from a third-party. The latest version of the non-appstore EN can always be downloaded from: http://evernote.com/...ile=EvernoteMac

Jack, has the KB article been updated to address the issues ewaves identified below?

Also, I wonder if a moderator edit should be made to toosimple's post to clarify.

If someone should find his post by Google they might not see your corrections, which are major.

JMichael, we have this on tap to be updated in the KB, thanks for the push.

Jack, has the KB article been updated to address the issues ewaves identified below?

Also, I wonder if a moderator edit should be made to toosimple's post to clarify.

If someone should find his post by Google they might not see your corrections, which are major.

JMichael, we have this on tap to be updated in the KB, thanks for the push.

• Level 5*

Thank you for the info. JMichael - thanks for the link, but I found the instructions there were incorrectly stated. I am running Evernote 3.1.2 and running MacOS 10.7, but the paragraph applying to that did not apply, since there is no "com.evernote.Evernote" in the ~/Library/Containers/ location, but there is an Evernote folder in the Application Support folder. (Actually, the instructions are confusing: if you are using Evernote 3.1.2, both paragraphs seem to apply.) Never mind - I think I'll just de-install Evernote completely (having exported my notes for safety) and then install the non-MAS version, which will presumably download my notes, as GrumpyMonkey implied.

Those instructions are great except for two things:

1. If a user has local notebooks (non-synced notebooks), they should back those notebooks up first.
  2. Never download Evernote from a third-party. The latest version of the non-appstore EN can always be downloaded from: http://evernote.com/...ile=EvernoteMac

• Level 5*

Apple's introduction of Sandboxing prevents Evernote from bundling certain functionality in the App Store version - if you've never noticed it then it probably doesn't affect you.

• Level 5*

Thank you for the info. JMichael - thanks for the link, but I found the instructions there were incorrectly stated.

I'm sorry to hear that the instructions provided by Evernote did not work.

I try not to make suggestions or recommendations that I have not personally tested, but I did so in this case as I had no way to easily test the instructions.

I can only hope that someone from Evernote will see your post, and update the instructions accordingly.

Thank you for the info. JMichael - thanks for the link, but I found the instructions there were incorrectly stated. I am running Evernote 3.1.2 and running MacOS 10.7, but the paragraph applying to that did not apply, since there is no "com.evernote.Evernote" in the ~/Library/Containers/ location, but there is an Evernote folder in the Application Support folder. (Actually, the instructions are confusing: if you are using Evernote 3.1.2, both paragraphs seem to apply.) Never mind - I think I'll just de-install Evernote completely (having exported my notes for safety) and then install the non-MAS version, which will presumably download my notes, as GrumpyMonkey implied.

• Level 5*

I got Evernote from the Mac App Store.

I just exported all my notes, both in the proprietary format and in HTML format.

Can I delete the Mac App Store version, install the regular downloadable version, and then re-import my notes into it?

Thank you.

Hi. I don't know if you needed to uninstall the appstore version in the first place. It has been so long, I cannot say for sure.

At any rate, your data is stored on the cloud in Evernote's servers if you have been using regular syncing notebooks (some people keep notes in special local notebooks). This means that even if you delete the app from your device, your data will be ready to sync and download when you re-install it. Whenever doing something like this, it is always good to backup your disk, just in case. So, after you download the regular version, just login to your account, and everything will automatically download.

Archived