(Archived) REQUEST: Text Rulers

I love Evernote and it is replacing my use of SOHO Notes. But one of the features of SOHO Notes that appeared only in a latter version that was very very useful was the ability to have a text ruler - to define the tab positions.

Unlike others I'm not asking for full word processing editing and layout but a text ruler with positioning for tabs would help me with the simple textual layout on my notes.

• 2 years later...

I would love this feature also. I love Microsoft onenote and am trying to find a replacement and have been using growly notes, but really like the fact that evernote is on a cloud. But growlynote has a text ruler for raving which evernote does not have.

• 5 months later...

I agree. I would also like to have rulers. In fact, a full word-processing layout would be nice to, where the text wraps when it reaches the end of a "page" and not just the end of the window, which can be deceptive if you're trying to determine how much or how little you've written.

A lot of us would like much more word-processing capability, but unfortunately (for us), it's probably not coming. Evernote may add a feature here and there (for instance, the word count in the new Mac beta), but the company has made clear that it's not interested in adding a lot of the requested features that define a word processor.

This is very strange that Evernote is not interested in attracting the writing community. I mean, the app would be THE THING during NaNoWrimo month (with more than a million participants) and could make a lot of gold ^.^ if they included some basic editing / formatting capabilities. I personally tried writing in Evernote and it worked fine until I needed to start editing / formatting. I mean, they already have the base - they could build up on it anything they want. IMO

• Level 5

This is very strange that Evernote is not interested in attracting the writing community. I mean, the app would be THE THING during NaNoWrimo month (with more than a million participants) and could make a lot of gold ^.^ if they included some basic editing / formatting capabilities. I personally tried writing in Evernote and it worked fine until I needed to start editing / formatting. I mean, they already have the base - they could build up on it anything they want. IMO

It is not strange at all.

It is a simple matter of assigning priorities based on the 20+ million Evernote users.

Different users have different needs and Evernote has a finite number of coders.

• Writers want a ruler
  • GTD users want a Due Date
  • Photographers want photo editing
  • Business users want more collaboration
  • Spreadsheet users want more table editing
  • Mac users want same functions as Windows users
  • Mobile users want same functions as client users
  • Linux users want Linux capability

@jbenson2,

I'm surprised they do not have a method of allowing users to add Feature Requests and then Vote on which ones get implemented. The more votes the faster it gets implemented. That would let them know how many people want a certain feature. I believe this can be done via Jira's Bug System (Could be wrong on that).

It is not strange at all.

It is a simple matter of assigning priorities based on the 20+ million Evernote users.

Different users have different needs and Evernote has a finite number of coders.

• Writers want a ruler
  • GTD users want a Due Date
  • Photographers want photo editing
  • Business users want more collaboration
  • Spreadsheet users want more table editing
  • Mac users want same functions as Windows users
  • Mobile users want same functions as client users
  • Linux users want Linux capability

Apparently, there is no app for that.

• Level 5

@jbenson2,

I'm surprised they do not have a method of allowing users to add Feature Requests and then Vote on which ones get implemented. The more votes the faster it gets implemented. That would let them know how many people want a certain feature. I believe this can be done via Jira's Bug System (Could be wrong on that).

Evernote has addressed the problems associated with a voting system.

Digg ran into a similar problem with their voting system.

Famous quote from Henry Ford: If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have said "a faster horse".

As can be seen in countless examples, Evernote does listen to their customers and have implemented many improvements from user feedback.

• Level 5*

Evernote's position on this sort of facility has been staked out pretty firmly in the forums; search for 'Uservoice' to see relevant discussions.

Famous quote from Henry Ford: If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have said "a faster horse".

Post of the day -- I hadn't heard that quote before.

@jbenson2,

Fair enough, I wasn't pointing fingers, just musing is all. I know they add tons of features and heavens I was certainly not dogging their wonderful service. I have been a convert for about 2 months now and I swear i couldn't survive without EverNote. Wondering where it's been all my life.

I think our Open API is part of the answer to this question. We're always working on our core products--with the ecosystem of apps built around it used for more specific usecases. I don't think we have anything like this in a Trunk yet, but there's always the possibility some enterprising developer will realize the writing community is a good set of users that could use a strong app with a strong connection to Evernote.

Also, I love NaNoWriMo. We had a section set up here for when it was going on. Will do the same next year :)

Archived