Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

Email page into E instead of URL only

email url evernote

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 whardy

whardy

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

When I email an article from my iPhone to my Evernote address, it ends up as just the URL, which really doesn't do me any good since I can't search the content. How do I send the actual page into Evernote instead of just the URL or how can I get the URL to "auto-expand?"

Thank you!

#2 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

When I email an article from my iPhone to my Evernote address, it ends up as just the URL, which really doesn't do me any good since I can't search the content. How do I send the actual page into Evernote instead of just the URL or how can I get the URL to "auto-expand?"

Thank you!

Hello. Welcome to the discussion forums!

I think what you are trying to do is take a page you are viewing on the iPhone and put it into your Evernote account like we do on the desktop with the Evernote Web Clipper. I know of two very easy ways of doing this.

(1) The easiest way is to copy the entire page, press the export icon at the bottom, mail link to this page, put in your Evernote email address (it helps if you already have this in your Contacts), and then paste the page's contents into the email.
(2) Copy the page link, paste it into any random note, click on the link, and this will open up the page within Evernote, which allows you to press the export icon in the bottom right-hand corner and "clip to Evernote". I have a link to google.com in my notes and just click on that so that I can surf the web from inside Evernote and clip as I go.

Of course, it would be great if Apple would enable plugins for Safari, and we could just clip from there! But, it doesn't, so we have to make do. If you are up for paying $1.99, you can get iCab Mobile, which ought to have a web clipper in it for Evernote (the iPad version does). I think this app used to be free on the iPhone, but I guess it isn't anymore, so I can't check this.

There are alternatives to these two, and I hope other users will chime in about them, but these are the two main methods I use.

#3 pdewar

pdewar

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

Another option is utilizing the app "Pocket" which I use regularly anyway. Pocket let's you save articles and URLs you find online to read later so you don't get side tracked on what you're currently doing. However, it also supports exporting to Evernote. Often what I will do is save the page or URL to Pocket (there is a email to Pocket option, as well as an easy Java bookmark function to do so), open Pocket up, select the article and chose to export to Evernote. It takes about 5 seconds from start to finish.

Pete

#4 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

Moved to the iPhone/iPad section.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#5 whardy

whardy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try those. It would be great to have an auto-expand-url setting for receiving emails from the private address. I haven't thought that through so it might have too many downsides, but it seems feasible as one great benefit of Evernote is being able to find content which isn't easy with only a URL, unless I add tags (which I do anyway, but would like to search the whole web page.)

Hopefully there will be a few more suggestions?

#6 Steve35711

Steve35711

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

I’m finding this really useful…

1) Add into your iphone address book:

submit@web2pdfconvert.com as "Read Later"

2) Browse in safari and find something interesting you want to read later

3) Click the ‘share’ button, then Mail link, and send it to the above address

4) A few minutes later you will have a pdf of the whole web page in your inbox so you can read it at your leisure from anywhere

The added benefit is that the web page is frozen in the pdf so you get to read it as it was at the time.
The website that provides the service says that you need to make the subject line =’convert’, but I’ve found it nearly always works if you don’t

If you want the PDF to go to Evernote then you can either send the link from a new email account that uses the evernote address, so that the web service replies back to it
or set up a rule in your email account to forward it on

#7 gcoghill23

gcoghill23

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Another option is utilizing the app "Pocket" which I use regularly anyway. Pocket let's you save articles and URLs you find online to read later so you don't get side tracked on what you're currently doing. However, it also supports exporting to Evernote. Often what I will do is save the page or URL to Pocket (there is a email to Pocket option, as well as an easy Java bookmark function to do so), open Pocket up, select the article and chose to export to Evernote. It takes about 5 seconds from start to finish.

I started using Pocket for this as well. Would still like to see Evernote support this officially. Especially since they offer Evernote Clearly, which is similar to Pocket (although no Safari extension so I don't get to use it).

#8 gcoghill23

gcoghill23

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

…you can get iCab Mobile, which ought to have a web clipper in it for Evernote (the iPad version does).

iCab seems to do nothing more than the official Evernote bookmarklet does, which you can use for free from within Mobile Safari.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ios, email, url, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote