(Archived) Why doesn't Evernote have Password Security System?

p.i.g

Idea

First, I wanna apologize for my poorly english skil :)

Incase of Evernote iPhone app, It has entire password system, but the others (for Mac, for Window, etc.) don't have password system.

The otherside, I am using Evernote with many privacy datas.

So, I feel uneasiness when companies or friends use my computer or iPhone.

It is certain that All my data is unsecurity.

So I hope that Evernote has password security system all Evernote app like for Mac, for Window, for iPhone and Android.

And I think it is better that It has separated password by each notebook.

I really really hope this.

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hello. Welcome to the forums! I think your English was quite clear :)

Although Mac now requires you to log in with a password (you can simply require a login each time instead of having it remember you) and allows for multiple users, your database is indexed by Spotlight (I love this) and easily accessible through the Library. Personally, I am glad Evernote has it set up this way and I consider it a great design feature. I want to be able to find my stuff, after all, even if I am outside of Evernote.

Honestly, I don't think Evernote (or any company) should or even could be responsible for the physical security of your data. If you hand over your computer to someone and they have technical expertise then no password is going to help.

You can greatly increase your security by maintaining physical control over your computer and encrypting your drive (free and easy to do). If you do decide to let your friends use your computer (do they not have their own?), then create a guest user account for them. This will make it much more difficult for them to access your data. Just switch users before ou hand it over.

• Level 5*

I'm an Evernote enthusiast and use the program every day. But the security is weak. I can't find that I can select an option to require a login after closing the app on my computer. Is this available?

Hi. Welcome to the discussion forums.

In answer to your specific question, there is a checkbox for "Stay logged in" that you can unclick. Logout whenever you leave the app and it will require a login.

However, I think Evernote's overall position is that users need to be responsible for preventing physical access to their devices. They provide varying levels of security, but in most cases, the most powerful thing you can do to protect your data (in any app) is to require a password for login to the device. Encrypting your hard drive (it's free) will offer additional protection.

One thing to note is that even if you are logged out, your notes are entirely accessible via Spotlight. I consider this to be a wonderful benefit to using the Mac (http://www.princeton...ght-search.html). You might not :) The best way I know of to protect your data from others if you are sharing your comptuer is to create another user profile.

I am contemplating on whether to upgrade to Evernote as I am transferring my database from Devonthink.

I have lots of data, and most of it is private like company confidential information, passwords and serial numbers.

I feel uneasy knowing that Evernote is searchable by Spotlight and there is no existing preference to unlink it.

Its a weak reasoning from the Evernote replies on this thread in terms of security. As much as its the user who is responsible for switching accounts if lending a friend to use, what happens in other cases like if the computer is stolen? Or if a passerby uses the computer when you have walked away from your desk, say in an office environment?

I agree that hackers can hack passwords, but not all thieves are hackers or for those that just like to pry on reading certain files.

So I was hoping that Spotlight can be switched off, and be only searchable within Evernote, as well as a password protected login window when I open Evernote, much like the iOS version.

I really don't understand the reasoning of having it secure on the phone with login/pass, when you don't have it on the computer?

I will hold off on upgrading as I will also hold off entering any data which is private. Which means its about 70-80 percent of my files.

Please Evernote, bring in passcode for Evernote for the Mac / PC. It is not something that needs more reason from a user stand point.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

There was a recent thread on this subject, I pointed out Evernote's stance which seems to be secure your OS X user account. My post was then liked by the OS X Product Manager, given this (and I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong) I think it is pretty unlikely that anything is going to change at least in the short term.

By the way, you can set Spotlight to exclude your Evernote folder (look in Preferences) and locking your machine when you are not in front of it is simple and quick.

I am contemplating on whether to upgrade to Evernote as I am transferring my database from Devonthink.

I have lots of data, and most of it is private like company confidential information, passwords and serial numbers.

I feel uneasy knowing that Evernote is searchable by Spotlight and there is no existing preference to unlink it.

Its a weak reasoning from the Evernote replies on this thread in terms of security. As much as its the user who is responsible for switching accounts if lending a friend to use, what happens in other cases like if the computer is stolen? Or if a passerby uses the computer when you have walked away from your desk, say in an office environment?

I agree that hackers can hack passwords, but not all thieves are hackers or for those that just like to pry on reading certain files.

So I was hoping that Spotlight can be switched off, and be only searchable within Evernote, as well as a password protected login window when I open Evernote, much like the iOS version.

I really don't understand the reasoning of having it secure on the phone with login/pass, when you don't have it on the computer?

I will hold off on upgrading as I will also hold off entering any data which is private. Which means its about 70-80 percent of my files.

Please Evernote, bring in passcode for Evernote for the Mac / PC. It is not something that needs more reason from a user stand point.

Thanks.

It appears you've not read many threads on the subject b/c it's recommended to not store sensitive information in EN unless you've encrypted it either with EN's text encryption feature or password encrypting a PDF or some other method, since your database is not encrypted on your desktop or on the EN servers. There's a valid reason - encrypted data cannot be indexed. Please search the board on encryption or security for more information, since this topic has already been discussed at great length.

• Level 5*

Thanks.

Hi. Here are some of the things that Evernote has said about security, if you would like to read more.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/03e49baa-c41c-419b-b2c2-f89d1cb33738/b7ae4fdbf85da45858eb5e51622df76e

If you encrypt your disk (free and easy with a Mac), theft should not be much of an issue. Personally, I keep most of my sensitive data off of my computer and on an encrypted drive at home, but that is up to you. Either way, unless your thief is from the NSA, you shouldn't have to worry too much.

Spotlight preferences can be modified (System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy) so that they will not index your notes. This seems like a huge loss in functionality to me (http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-spotlight-search.html), but it is your choice, of course. This will not deter a determined hacker, or a knowledgable person, but it might make things a tad bit more difficult.

aa101, if you're on a Mac, and you want to store passwords and account information, use 1Password.com. It's a great app, designed specifically for this task (unlike Evernote), and it automatically encrypts all your sensitive information, while giving you access to it. Evernote's fantastic for storing lots of things, but not passwords / account info. 

Archived