Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

Web version on iPad freezes

evernote

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Big Al

Big Al

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:05 AM

Ok, as a new user I must admit I really don't like the iPad app. One of the things I haven't been able to do, for example, is assign note links. Is this even possible? Seems like im running Evernote Lite on the ipad. Thinking the iPad app is limited I signed in to the web version only to find the program freezes. What gives? Is the web version not compatible with Safari? Seems like every time I really want to dig into the program I have to fire up the PC to do so. Any thoughts?

#2 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,219 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:12 AM

Ok, as a new user I must admit I really don't like the iPad app. One of the things I haven't been able to do, for example, is assign note links. Is this even possible? Seems like im running Evernote Lite on the ipad. Thinking the iPad app is limited I signed in to the web version only to find the program freezes. What gives? Is the web version not compatible with Safari? Seems like every time I really want to dig into the program I have to fire up the PC to do so. Any thoughts?

Hi. Welcome to the user forums!

In answer to your questions:
(1) You cannot currently create note links on the iPad version of the app.
(2) You cannot use the regular Evernote Web client on the iPad. It's not just Safari, but every browser on the iPad (that I know of), so it is a deeper incompatibility issue with iOS and the Evernote site. I suspect it has to do with having the site divided into three like that (I think they might be using frames, but I haven't dug into it to see). There is a mobile version of the site, but I wouldn't recommend it over the iPad app. I think it works on the iPad OK, but I haven't done much with it myself. http://www.evernote.com/m/

The Evernote app is constantly being improved, so I expect we'll get note links someday, but until then there are workarounds. I use random character strings (I wrote about this on my site at http://www.princeton...ganization.html). It is probably more like tags than note links, but it works. Other users probably have different approaches. In the end, if you have the time and access to a desktop client, it is probably easier to make the note links ahead of time.

#3 Big Al

Big Al

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. At least I know these issues really do exist and I'm not losing my mind. Even the iPhone has a better screen interface than the iPad, something I really don't understand...

As a real estate broker, I rely on my mobile tools more than my desktop. It sounds like I can use these tools for light editing and retrieval of data but I should plan on the desktop for the heavy lifting... At least until an updated version comes along.

Thanks again...

#4 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,219 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

Your mileage may vary. I do most of my work on the iPad. You might also want to consider remote desktop apps like logmein. You could use the desktop app remotely to accomplish some tasks. Ultimately, no matter how much the iPad app improves, the constraints of iOS and the hardware make it unlikely that it will ever catch up to the functionality of the desktop app. It may end up meeting your needs someday, but it is good to have realistic expectations. Note links, but maybe not multiple windows :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ios, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote