Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Safari

Safari Web Clipper beta

chrome clipper

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Celestian02

Celestian02

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

Hi,

I've noticed some strange bug with Evernote's Web Clipper for Safari! A week ago, I bought a Synology NAS which comes with a web server to access the administration interface.
I tried to login from:
- Chrome (where I have the Evernote Web Clipper installed as well) and no issue!
- Safari 6: I fill in my username/password on the Synology DSM 4.0 software and it tells me I could not login and invite me to retry. If I reload the webpage immediately, it just logs me in.
Now, I have only two extensions installed and enabled in Safari: LastPass and Evernote Web Clipper. I tried uninstalling LastPass and stiill had the issue. Tried without Evernote, it worked like a charm. Renabled Evernote and stopped working pronto.

This is a delicate issue as I am afraid Evernote's and Synology's support will redirect me to their respective counterpart support in a way it will never really get solved. Now I understand that Evernote's might not have a Synology NAS at hand but there must be something in the way it was coded that makes some website login not behaving correctly.

Thank you for your consideration.

Regards.

#22 jbignert

jbignert

• Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

We will look into this and post a new beta version here soon and see if that fixes it.

#23 drfrot

drfrot

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

I thought this problem had gone away, but then I realised that was only because I had uninstalled the web clipper entirely! When I re-installed it again today out of necessity, the very next time I launch Safari... BAM - it's back :¬(

The Safari Clipper is intended to display that welcome page exactly once, and once it does, it stores a setting saying that it has been shown so that it won't appear again. If your regular ritual is to delete all your saved data every time you close your browser, then you are probably deleting this setting and so the Clipper will think that it hasn't displayed the welcome page and show it again next time it starts.

However, put this way, some bells are ringing. I use the Ghostery app, and I wonder if this is causing Evernote to forget I've got the clipper installed already. I shall disable Ghostery for the website and see what happens...

Thanks for consistently getting back to us all.

G

#24 drfrot

drfrot

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

I shall disable Ghostery for the website and see what happens...

I shall reserve final judgment until I've been using it for a few days.... but first impressions suggest this may have been the problem. Enabled evernote.com in Ghostery, relaunched Safari and no pop up window.

:¬)

#25 drfrot

drfrot

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

Ha, I spoke too soon. It's back again.

How the hell do I get rid of it without uninstalling the web clipper entirely??

#26 drfrot

drfrot

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

The Safari Clipper is intended to display that welcome page exactly once, and once it does, it stores a setting saying that it has been shown so that it won't appear again. If your regular ritual is to delete all your saved data every time you close your browser, then you are probably deleting this setting and so the Clipper will think that it hasn't displayed the welcome page and show it again next time it starts.

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but it's making my life a misery - I launch Safari many many times each day and you can imagine the frustration...

@tkaraszewski: Where exactly is the setting stored, that remembers you've already installed the web clipper? I have looked in my ~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage folder, and I have an item in there named "safari-extension_com.evernote.safari.clipper-q79wdw8yh9_0.localstorage" - is this it?

If it's any more use to you, I sync my ~/Library/Safari folder between Macs using Dropbox (so that file above is found on more than one machine).

I don't clear my history on quitting. I haven't cleaned any caches out in ages. I "Block cookies from 3rd Parties & Advertisers" (and am loathe to change this setting).

Is there any more advice you can offer, other than going without the web clipper entirely :¬(

#27 sjklis

sjklis

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

same issue as drfrot and jkd032 - any work round as yet? Love the new Clipper but not the persistent install tab opening - (not nearly as annoying as having to accept cookies from all with the previous clipper though)

#28 jbignert

jbignert

• Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:40 AM

Still working on this, sorry for the wait.

#29 drfrot

drfrot

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

[Bump]

Still happening - any news?

G

#30 drfrot

drfrot

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

I eventually employed the nuclear option and reset Safari entirely (choosing all but "Top Sites" and "Download list" to clear out from the available list). I've been using 1Password more and more these days, so I don't really want Safari to remember any of my login details anyway.

It worked - Evernote webclipper functions as normal on the Safari-reset machine now. I don't have to keep logging in, and it doesn't launch the "Get Evernote Webclipper" window every time I launch Safari (although it happened for so long, I keep expecting it to appear, lol).

On the machine where I haven't yet reset Safari, this problem still occurs on every launch of Safari.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote