REQUEST: Folder protect within Evernote - possible?

Redwine4all

Idea

Hi there, I browsed a little bit through this forum to find an answer regarding protecting a folder within my evernote account.

Maybe I’m blind or stupid - but I found nothing regarding this feature.

My Idea was to create a folder like "passbox" with important information like passwords or bank account.

Would be great to get a feedback - btw - is there a link or email address available for suggestions?

Kind Regards

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

At this time, there are three methods for protecting sensitive data. You can use the encryption feature in Evernote to encrypt the text of a note. You can encrypt the data yourself before uploading it into Evernote. Or, you can keep the data in a local folder that does not sync with Evernote servers. We do not have the ability to password-protect notebooks.

The user forum here is one of the best ways to suggest features. Evernote staff regularly read the posts here, and sometimes they comment as well.

• Level 5*

Hi GrumpyMonkey, thanks for the quick answer :) ... so let me call my post "feature request" :D and let see, if in the future such a feature in Evernote (best tool ever) appears.

Glad I could help. I'll change your title for you.

Adding my voice to this feature request. Use Evernote heavily in my business and have just recently started to add personal journal entries on the personal end. Because I literally spend my entire day running my business from Evernote, having a journal in there for personal entries just made sense. Having the ability to password protect this folder would be ideal.

Thanks for making such an awesome product!!

- Aaron Aiken

Dear Evernote Product Team

As a veteran Evernote user - I give multiple thumbs up for the 'Password Protected Folder' feature. We need this both on the Windows & Android APP. 

Storing sensitive information within Evernote is something we routinely do daily. However; a 'Password Protected Folder' or  a basic 'Pin' setting will be great.

Best regards, 

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, BrynRedbeard said:

+1 on password protected notebooks. 

If you haven't already, and you want to vote up a topic, then use the controls provided at the head of the post (the up and down facing triangles at the top left of the post header). 

On 11/26/2017 at 10:16 PM, artlieberman said:

Not  just password-protect a folder or notebook, but I need to protect the entire database.  I have personal info, passwords, IDs scattered throughout.

If you are on a mobile device, you can set a passcode to the app if you subscribe. If you are not subscribed or are on a laptop, your account comes with a password. Signout of Evernote, or am I missing something?

Cheers

• Level 5*
On 2017-11-26 at 9:16 PM, artlieberman said:

I need to protect the entire database.  I have personal info, passwords, IDs scattered throughout.

1 hour ago, BrynRedbeard said:

your account comes with a password. Signout of Evernote, or am I missing something?

Agreed, all accounts are protected by a password.  The mobile platforms have a Passcode fearure

In addition, your device will also have security features.  Passwords and timeout

I advise encrypting sensitive data.  Evernote has a text encryption feature, and I use native encryption on attachments; PDFs etc

Note; account and data security are not necessarily the same issue

(1) I'd like a timeout for the password...  For example, if no activity within a half-hour, it automatically logs out.

(2) I do understand that somehow our notes can be discovered in a partially-readable text format, so a password doesn't guarantee anything.  However, it's a big step.  If someone steals my computer and tries to run Evernote, and can't get through the password, they might not take the effort to scour the drive looking for the data.

(3) Because Evernote does offer encryption of text if I highlight it and choose encryption, then why not offer encrypting the entire database?  Or encrypting a notebook?

(4) Many of my entries are .pdf  and .jpg files.  Apparently, Evernote only offers to encrypt clear text.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, artlieberman said:
(1) I'd like a timeout for the password...  For example, if no activity within a half-hour, it automatically logs out.

This is likely a setting in your device OS

>>(3) Because Evernote does offer encryption of text if I highlight it and choose encryption, then why not offer encrypting the entire database?  Or encrypting a notebook?

or entire note?  It's not the same technology; development would be required to implement this successfully on all platforms

Also, one the features I use is text search; Evernote ocr/indexes my data.  This doesn't work with encrypted text

>>4) Many of my entries are .pdf  and .jpg files.  Apparently, Evernote only offers to encrypt clear text.

Can't help on image files.  I use native encryption on PDFs and office/iwork documents.

• Level 5*

In general, I believe (without anyone from Evernote ever having told me so) that the idea is that Evernote would rather not re-invent the wheel for such things as user encryption services and account locking, and would prefer that users rely on the facilities that your OS (Windows, in this case) already has: login accounts, disk encryption, etc. Sure, they have the ability to do encryption on plain text, which helps with light duty protection inside the note, but that facility has not changed in a long time, so far as I can tell, and it doesn't appear that they are interested in expanding on it.

Archived