Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

HELP: Best way to promote a public folder?

public

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 David L Major

David L Major

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:52 AM

I've started an experiment with a public folder, shared with the world, at

https://www.evernote.com/pub/dminoz/theapocalypseofhephaestus

I intend to post chapters of a novel that I am working on (The Apocalypse of Hephaestus), so it is essentially serialized on Evernote.

So my questions are:

Has anyone tried anything similar, and with what results, feedback, readership, etc?

And also, what would be some good ways to promote the project, and to get the word out? Does anyone have any advice re using Evernote as a platform for writing / fiction?

Thanks,
David
philobiblion.com.au

#2 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,187 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:55 AM

I've started an experiment with a public folder, shared with the world, at

https://www.evernote...pseofhephaestus

I intend to post chapters of a novel that I am working on (The Apocalypse of Hephaestus), so it is essentially serialized on Evernote.

So my questions are:

Has anyone tried anything similar, and with what results, feedback, readership, etc?

And also, what would be some good ways to promote the project, and to get the word out? Does anyone have any advice re using Evernote as a platform for writing / fiction?

Thanks,
David
philobiblion.com.au

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

What a cool idea. Good luck with it! I have not done anything like this, and I haven't seen anything like it before, but I like it :)
I'll be sure to put a link from my list of shared notebooks:
http://www.princeton...dnotebooks.html

#3 David L Major

David L Major

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:53 AM

Thanks, that would be great :) I'm about to have a trawl through your list...

#4 gazumped

gazumped

• Title: Operative
  • 5,640 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Hi David

Shared Evernote notebooks are stored on a server which (presumably for security reasons) is totally dark to search engines; so your book is going to remain stealthed unless you actively promote it. Your post here is a good start, but to get a wider readership you need to consider all the usual marketing suspects - blogging, social media, banners etc. Even if they have no other effect, this sort of activity will get you onto the search engine radar. I'd suggest you google search for 'how do I promote my web page' for a few million suggestions...

I use Evernote constantly but don't speak for them.  Opinions here are my own based (more or less) on age,  experience,  and common business sense.  

Evernote read what's posted here,  and take it into consideration setting priorities;  they don't normally comment on individual cases,  or offer any forecasts or promises on whether or when a new feature might be released.  

Premium Windows & Android user in Wales, UK

EN Mobile 5.8 Beta 2 | Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 | Chrome - EN Desktop 5.2.0.2503 (270503) Prerelease | Dell Inspiron W8.0 | Chrome + Clipper & Clearly | MS Office 2013 (also Vista and W7)
Support and information: Mac | Windows | iOS | AndroidGetting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Status Page | The App CenterSupport Requests & Feedback 

(Support only work weekdays,  US Pacific Time)  |  If you need to change your account name,  email address or check usage,  do it here 

Use your spare processor capacity for science research - find out more about BOINC here.  

#5 mdalves

mdalves

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:25 PM

You may try Smore to promote it; it's a service to create online flyers that was recently reviewed at digitwirl.
Evernote in Windows XP, Windows 7, Lion, Android

#6 gbarry

gbarry

• Title: Admin in Residence
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

Liberal sharing of the link over Facebook and Twitter, IMO. Depending on the style/substance, some fiction boards would probably be a good place to find readers interested in the subject.

Really, we need a space for shared notebooks somewhere on the board, kind of like GM's page.

EDIT: Course, we need lots of things. Maybe that'll be a good page for the wiki :)

Check out our Knowledgebase. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Check out the Getting Started Guide. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#7 David L Major

David L Major

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

You may try Smore to promote it; it's a service to create online flyers that was recently reviewed at digitwirl.

Thanks for that Smore link, it looks good. I like the interface a lot, it's simple. I've signed up and am giving them a whirl. I posted a short story there: http://www.smore.com/tm6j and will keep an eye on it, to see where it travels, if anywhere.

#8 David L Major

David L Major

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

Liberal sharing of the link over Facebook and Twitter, IMO. Depending on the style/substance, some fiction boards would probably be a good place to find readers interested in the subject.

Really, we need a space for shared notebooks somewhere on the board, kind of like GM's page.

EDIT: Course, we need lots of things. Maybe that'll be a good page for the wiki :)

I agree. It seems obvious that if people can make Evernote folders public, then there should be some way to search through the world's public Evernote offerings. Sort of like a Wattpad of Evernote. It would be excellent, because the difference between writing and publishing to the world would then be one click.

Regarding Evernote's public files being non-discoverable by Google, for privacy reasons - that doesn't make sense, if the user has made the folders public. Perhaps there could be an option, where people can choose whether their public folders are visible to search engines.

#9 gazumped

gazumped

• 5,640 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

Doesn't seem like part of Evernote's primary function to promote a web page if an owner decides to make it public. That's the owner's decision, and I certainly don't want his prospective visitors having even limited access to the same servers that store all my private information. Publicizing that page is the same basic marketing problem as getting traffic to any new web page. Where do you promote it? Everywhere and anywhere you can think of. How? Any legal means. There are no limits (apart from the previously-mentioned legal ones) on promotions, so your imagination - and as many marketing sites as you can scan - is the limit.

I use Evernote constantly but don't speak for them.  Opinions here are my own based (more or less) on age,  experience,  and common business sense.  

Evernote read what's posted here,  and take it into consideration setting priorities;  they don't normally comment on individual cases,  or offer any forecasts or promises on whether or when a new feature might be released.  

EN Mobile 5.8 Beta 2 | Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 | Chrome - EN Desktop 5.2.0.2503 (270503) Prerelease | Dell Inspiron W8.0 | Chrome + Clipper & Clearly | MS Office 2013 (also Vista and W7)
Support and information: Mac | Windows | iOS | AndroidGetting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Status Page | The App CenterSupport Requests & Feedback 

(Support only work weekdays,  US Pacific Time)  |  If you need to change your account name,  email address or check usage,  do it here 

Use your spare processor capacity for science research - find out more about BOINC here.  

#10 TechBarber

TechBarber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

I've been toying with the idea of creating a public notebook for a few weeks. I'm almost ready, but I have one question.

How does the storage quota work? 

If I create a public notebook and gazumped (not that he'd do such a thing!) drops 600MB worth of MP3 files in it, does that "knacker" my monthly limit? Are there protections against this kind of thing?

My Blog (Technology/Evernote) - http://www.TechBarber.com
Evernote vs Dropbox & The Differences Explained - http://www.techbarbe...se-effectively/
Evernote Organization - A Beginners Guide - http://www.techbarbe...eginners-guide/

Evernote Smart Notebook Review - http://www.techbarbe...n-everyday-guy/

#11 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,187 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:55 AM

I've been toying with the idea of creating a public notebook for a few weeks. I'm almost ready, but I have one question.

How does the storage quota work? 

If I create a public notebook and gazumped (not that he'd do such a thing!) drops 600MB worth of MP3 files in it, does that "knacker" my monthly limit? Are there protections against this kind of thing?

A public notebook cannot be modified. I have one in my signature. There is no danger that anyone could add anything to the notebook. 

If you share a notebook and invite people, though, then you can give them the ability to modify the content. If you do that, then Gazumped could wipe out your monthly upload allowance with a few hundred megabytes of data. There is no way that I know of to protect against him in this case!

#12 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• Title: "There is no magic, only lost physics"
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

A public notebook is more like a website, i.e. people can view it, but not edit.

At the same time, you can add specific people to the notebook should you wish.

For instance, everyone can see my notebook, but I can add invite specific people to edit it if I wanted.

When it comes to usage, you own the notebook, so additions to it go to your account. Not sure if there is any way to prevent Gaz from maxing out your usage, so you gotta watch him :P

EDIT: ahh...GM is on the ball today :P

#13 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,187 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

A public notebook is more like a website, i.e. people can view it, but not edit.

At the same time, you can add specific people to the notebook should you wish.

For instance, everyone can see my notebook, but I can add invite specific people to edit it if I wanted.

When it comes to usage, you own the notebook, so additions to it go to your account. Not sure if there is any way to prevent Gaz from maxing out your usage, so you gotta watch him :P

EDIT: ahh...GM is on the ball today :P

LOL. Not so on the ball. You are correct that you can invite people to edit a public notebook. I should have made that clear. Of course, if one of those people is Gazumped, then you might end up in trouble :)

#14 gazumped

gazumped

• 5,640 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

Hey - what did I do?

#15 TechBarber

TechBarber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:18 AM

Nothing at all. I needed someone for an example and you had the most recent post at the time - sorry if I singled you out!

My Blog (Technology/Evernote) - http://www.TechBarber.com
Evernote vs Dropbox & The Differences Explained - http://www.techbarbe...se-effectively/
Evernote Organization - A Beginners Guide - http://www.techbarbe...eginners-guide/

Evernote Smart Notebook Review - http://www.techbarbe...n-everyday-guy/

#16 C6REW

C6REW

• Title: I need a Cup Of Tea
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

I confess to not thinking about making a Notebook 'public'.

As mentioned elsewhere I have a 'shared' Notebook on the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds camera which has been going well with lots of members now. Each of them has the ability to add and modify Notes. This means we can end up with a larger information database. The danger, is of course, as mentioned above, that they can cause me problems with my upload limit. But as this is currently at 6GB I somehow doubt it!

But I like the idea of getting more people involved by sharing it as a public link. They can then decide if they want to join as a full member so to speak, or email me a link to an article.

If someone joins a 'public' Notebook:

1. Can they see email addresses of people who are sharing the Notebook?

2. Can the originator see the people who join?

Best regards

Chris

ps here is a link to the Notebook:

https://www.evernote...cf-da62cb5aab96

EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#17 gazumped

gazumped

• 5,640 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

Nothing at all. I needed someone for an example and you had the most recent post at the time - sorry if I singled you out!

No problem :D

#18 gazumped

gazumped

• 5,640 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

I confess to not thinking about making a Notebook 'public'.

As mentioned elsewhere I have a 'shared' Notebook on the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds camera which has been going well with lots of members now. Each of them has the ability to add and modify Notes. This means we can end up with a larger information database. The danger, is of course, as mentioned above, that they can cause me problems with my upload limit. But as this is currently at 6GB I somehow doubt it!

But I like the idea of getting more people involved by sharing it as a public link. They can then decide if they want to join as a full member so to speak, or email me a link to an article.

If someone joins a 'public' Notebook:

Best regards

Chris

ps here is a link to the Notebook:

https://www.evernote...cf-da62cb5aab96

Hi Chris - if it helps,  I promise not to Gazbomb you :P

This is what your link looks like to me - (att)

- but I think making a public shared notebook editable is a fair definition of "hostage to fortune" - 99.999% of your audience are probably mature human beings (in some cases very very mature),  but there's always a joker.  Even internal Wikis that I run need close editing to ensure the content stays on message and legal, decent etc.

Public affairs like Wikipedia resort to banning individual members for misbehaviour, and there's no counterpart to that in Evernote (yet).  You could invite people to apply for membership and then invite them individually by email,  but there's an obvious admin overhead;  or as you suggest,  you could simply invite contributions by email and add them centrally to a read-only notebook.

There are many advantages to having a motivated group of people collaborating on a knowledge base - you get a lot of peer-reviewed content added very quickly;  but I think we need a few more bells and whistles in Evernote yet to do that safely.

Attached Files

#19 C6REW

C6REW

• Title: I need a Cup Of Tea
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for that Gazumped.

But if you 'join' the Notebook, you cannot change it can you?

I have over 30 members who had been invited by email with rights to add. What I am hoping has happened here is that the people who either 'view' which is obviously not a problem, but more importantly 'join' don't have the ability to add anything.

Best regards

Chris

EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#20 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• Title: "There is no magic, only lost physics"
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

If I join the notebook and take a look in the web client, I can NOT edit the notebook. It is simply a notebook that I jave joined with viewing rights only.

The Windows client has a bug I think, since the properties actually show that I can edit and modify the notebook. I am not sure that this is actually the case, but I don't want to try it on your notebook.

1. Not sure, typically editing shows an email in the activity, but I wonder how it is done from the public viewer perspective. I guess that is something to test. (typically the owner username is shown in the activity.)

2. Not to a public notebook, no.
I know you used to see when people you invited joined the notebook, but I just tried it again and didn't see a notification. It came through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote