(Archived) Getting Images Out of Evernote

JeffreyC

I had a client paste screen shots into an email and email them to me.

I sent the emails to Evernote for safe keeping.

I display the note and see the image.

Issue: How do you get them out of Evernote and, say, paste them into Microsoft Word???

If you simply Copy, then Paste, you don't get the image - you get a block that has an image name, date, time. (see attached screen shot.)

If you drag and drop, you get nothing.

If you save as, you get a cryptic file name that * you * have to add .png to, to get Windows to recognize the image. When you open this, the image quality is not nearly as good as that in Evernote.

What is the best / right practice here? Loving Evernote, but, if this feature needs development, this is a stumbling block for sure.

Thanks as always in advance for your response.

• Level 5*

Hi JC - you seem to be missing an obvious option; double-click the image - it will open in your image-processor of choice. Or right-click and use 'open with' or 'save as' for different options...

You would * think * either one of those would work - I tried both. ;)

However, because of the cryptic "serialized" (or whatever it is) name, Windows doesn't know what to do with it. You have to go through this window * every * time and pick your image-processor of choice. (Note - I did attach a screen shot of the "window." which is the one Windows displays when Windows doesn't know what to do with the particular file extension.) (Disclosure - I haven't actually gone any further than this as I'm 99% sure that .whatever name will change every time forcing a new extension and windows indigestion.)

However, thanks for the reply. I do appreciate it.

You can select the note and choose Save Attachments

File -> Save Attachments

You can also rename the images to something more appropriate by right clicking the images in Evernote and choosing rename.

I had not seen that. Thanks.

Not a very effective method though (talking about the Save As) as for every attachment (I have 50'ish), I have to go re-select the folder. Also, the name will still have to be changed every time.

Looking like this needs to become more of a request than a question - to have a more effective way to get images back out. Drag and Drop. Copy and Paste. (For sure the "have to re-select your folder every time."

Disclosure: Being that these are email's with embedded attachments, maybe the weird name is being done by Outlook. It'll test that more later.

Thanks again, everyone.

In my case,if there were many attachments, I would perform the renaming outside of Evernote, after saving them.

The File -> Save attachments option is also available when multiple notes are selected, so you could select all of the notes, and then save their attachments. This would avoid having to select the folder each time...since you are doing it once.

I would then save them all in to the folder and then rename them in explorer, or via some batch processing program.

• Level 5*

Isn't this a basic feature of Windows, or Mac for that matter, to be able to either drag-n-drop, or copy and paste an image from one app to another?

Evernote should fully support such a basic feature, without us having to ask for it.

I am pleased to report that EN Mac supports copy/paste of images from/to EN Mac.

Very surprised that EN Win does not.

• Level 5

JeffreyC,

You can drag an image (or any other attachment) from Evernote note and drop it on Windows desktop. You can also drag an image (or any other file) from the desktop into a note body or note list.

This should also be true for MS Office applications, if it's not please file a support ticket mentioning target application name and version.

/Peter

• Level 5*
I am pleased to report that EN Mac supports copy/paste of images from/to EN Mac.

Very surprised that EN Win does not.

Didn't mean to suggest (see earlier post) that Windows doesn't do this - just offered some alternatives since the OP wasn't having any success with them. My pics will happily drag/ drop and cut/ paste in Windows thanks very much.

Thanks everyone. There are some great suggestions here. Especially the select multiple-notes and do the Save Attachments As. That will help a lot.

I just tried dragging and dropping a picture out of Evernote into Word with no go. So, I'll open a support ticket on that.

JeffreyC,

You can drag an image (or any other attachment) from Evernote note and drop it on Windows desktop. You can also drag an image (or any other file) from the desktop into a note body or note list.

This should also be true for MS Office applications, if it's not please file a support ticket mentioning target application name and version.

/Peter

I find that you can drag one note, which is then named screenclip.png. Depending on how you created the original note, if you drag another, you either get a dialog from Windows, stating "This folder already contains a file named...", or you get a gibberish name without an extension.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would take a minute and contribute some more information to help future "prospectors" looking for a solution to a similar problem.

Problem: Can't get images out of an Evernote note and into Microsoft Word when note consists of an Outlook email with images.

Workaround:

1) Rename the image.

Apparently, and probably something originally done by Outlook, the image name has information (probably the tread ID) after the actual image name, including after the "dot" extension, which doesn't help the situation. e.g., image001.png@01CD4955.585B03E0

Right click on the image, click on Rename, and remove everything after the .png extension. e.g., image001.png

2) Copy the image.

It would be nice if you could just drag and drop the image from Evernote to Word at this point, but, this appears to be broken in Evernote for Windows. I've submitted a ticket, as requested above, and haven't heard much back from Evernote on this as of this writing.

Right click on the image and click on Copy.

3) Paste the image.

Switch over to Word and paste the image.

If you are using Word 2010 and get this HUGE image, here's a tip. Right click on the image in Word. You will get the Right Click Context menu - but, right above that, Word has this cool feature that shows the image dimensions. Just change the top number to something much smaller. Fortunately, Microsoft made Word 2010 much more conscience of the aspect ratio and keeps this locked by default - so you won't get a squished or stretched picture.

That's it. Hope this help. :)

• Level 5

Yes, copy and paste is the way to go.

Word is somewhat antiquated about the formats it accepts when you drag and drop data onto it. In particular, it wants a file that is stored in a physical file on the filesystem, so it refuses "virtual" in-memory files. Since image files are typically quite large, it would be a significant performance hit to write them out to disk every time a user initiated a drag (especially since most programs don't require a physical file). This means that to get a picture into Word, you must either use Copy and Paste or first drag and drop the picture to an intermediate location on the filesystem (e.g., your desktop).

• Level 5*

Word is somewhat antiquated about the formats it accepts when you drag and drop data onto it. In particular, it wants a file that is stored in a physical file on the filesystem, so it refuses "virtual" in-memory files.

Interesting. I guess this is one area where the Mac has an advantage over Windows.

I am able to drag-n-drop an image from EN Mac 3.2.0 to Word 2011 for Mac.

I don't know if this is due to EN Mac or Word 2011 Mac.

• 1 year later...

>>>> you seem to be missing an obvious option; double-click the image - it will open in your image-processor of choice.

Thanks for the advice.  It works for me in Florida.

Any thoughts on how I can double-click a WORD and Evernote will auto-search all instances of the word in my entire account while leaving my document open.  Right now it seems a multi-step process with copy>paste in window>search.  And my document is lost into the results.

• 3 months later...

I initially posted this problem over a year ago in the forums: the problem was that I was unable to take screen shots from Evernote (or from anywhere else using the clipper) and paste them into Yahoo mail.  It turns out that sending screen shots of various issues to my employees is something that I regularly have to do, and it simply doesn't work between Evernote and Yahoo mail.  For some reason, it works perfectly in Gmail. I can take a screen shot within an Evernote note or, using the clipper, anywhere else that I want and I paste it directly into Gmail.  For example, I can even go to Quickbooks and clip out a few lines from the register and paste them directly into Gmail using the EN clipper.  This problem eventually forced me to leave Yahoo mail and switch entirely to Gmail.  As far as I can tell, this problem has persisted for at least a year and possibly more.

• Level 5*

How exactly were you taking a screen shot with the clipper and pasting it into Yahoo mail?  If you were clipping to a note and then transferring the content of that note into Yahoo,  how did you complete the second copy/ paste?  I don't see how this translates into an Evernote "problem" - it looks more like an issue with pasting into Yahoo from (presumably) Windows.  Not defending here - just confused.

Archived