REQUEST: Multiple "from" email addresses

I've been a premium user for several years and use Evernote for both personal and work notes. I keep comming up against the limitation that I cannot select my 'from' email address account as Evernote only stores one email address per user account.

I would love to see Evernote support a primary email address along with one or several secondary email address for an account. The when emailing a note, the user would have the option of selecting which 'from' account to use if more than one is present.

Maybe this could be a premium only or an additional cost premium plus feature. I know I would pay more for it.

• Level 5*

I've been a premium user for several years and use Evernote for both personal and work notes. I keep comming up against the limitation that I cannot select my 'from' email address account as Evernote only stores one email address per user account.

I would love to see Evernote support a primary email address along with one or several secondary email address for an account. The when emailing a note, the user would have the option of selecting which 'from' account to use if more than one is present.

Maybe this could be a premium only or an additional cost premium plus feature. I know I would pay more for it.

Hi. I guess I have never seen this as an issue. Could you explain why this has been a limitation for you?

When I email a work client, I need them to see it comming from work email address. My clients do not need to know or see my personal email address. Conversely, when I email notes to personal contacts, say members of my club, they need to see this comming from my personal email address to know this has nothing to do with my business. Members of my clubs may also be clients and its important to maintain a seperation.

Its not really practical to seperate my Evernote database into two accounts, I can just imagine the havoc that will casue me wondering which account a particular note is in. How would My iPad/iPhone clients handle two accounts both with offline notes? No I cant see that working.

• Level 5

When I email a work client, I need them to see it comming from work email address. My clients do not need to know or see my personal email address. Conversely, when I email notes to personal contacts, say members of my club, they need to see this comming from my personal email address to know this has nothing to do with my business. Members of my clubs may also be clients and its important to maintain a seperation.

Its not really practical to seperate my Evernote database into two accounts, I can just imagine the havoc that will casue me wondering which account a particular note is in. How would My iPad/iPhone clients handle two accounts both with offline notes? No I cant see that working.

For work - send info to your work, remove the Evernote info then forward to your client using your work email.

added bonus - a copy of the email with transmission date/time is stored on your work computer.

• Level 5*

So, if I understand you correctly, you have a work email, a personal email, and an Evernote one (receipt of email only). I assume the only time you need to use Evernote in conjunction with email is when you share a note or notebook, right? At this time, Evernote is using your default email client, so messages are being sent from the "wrong" account. This does indeed sound like a problem.

I am not a big fan of using multiple accounts, except for rather limited situations. The appeal of Evernote (to me) is the fact that I can keep everything in one place. More importantly, if I am understanding the problem correctly, creating a new account would not solve the problem, because it would be using the default client as well. If Evernote could change how it interacts with your email client, I would think that would solve the problem. Perhaps creating a support ticket will help to get this problem reported to the appropriate people.

As a workaround, I guess that you could: (1) copy/paste the content of the note, (2) send a link to your shared note, or do both.

• Level 5*

When I send a note by email, it uses the email configured in the account that I am using as the sender. Whether it's easy or not to use a different account depends on the client (this was not specified by the OP, and it's in the General Evernote discussion area). As it happens, it's not too hard to use different accounts using the Windows and the web clients, and it's certainly a valid (and occasionally requested) approach to segregate work and personal material. As it is, this approach works today, in some situations, which is why I suggested it, as opposed to waiting for a feature that may be implemented in some fuzzy time in the future, if at all.

• Level 5*

When I send a note by email, it uses the email configured in the account that I am using as the sender. Whether it's easy or not to use a different account depends on the client (this was not specified by the OP, and it's in the General Evernote discussion area). As it happens, it's not too hard to use different accounts using the Windows and the web clients, and it's certainly a valid (and occasionally requested) approach to segregate work and personal material. As it is, this approach works today, in some situations, which is why I suggested it, as opposed to waiting for a feature that may be implemented in some fuzzy time in the future, if at all.

On the web client, it seems to automatically use my default client, but maybe that is because I am also using the web interface for my email, and haven't got multiple ones set up in my computer. That seems a bit too smart for an interface, though. By the "email configured in the account" do you mean to say that you can select which email address you want to use, or do you mean the email address associated with that account? I would guess the latter. That might also explain why I don't see any choices, and why the web and Mac clients are using the same account. If I tried out an email on my other account I might see it trying to use my other email address. If that is the case, then your suggestion to create another account makes more sense to me. At any rate, it would be nice if we could select our email client when we share notes or notebooks.

• Level 5*

The email that you use to set up your account seems to be the one that's used as the sender for email from that account, yes. You cannot set up a different account under an email that's already being used, so far as I know (though you can trick it).

• Level 5*

The email that you use to set up your account seems to be the one that's used as the sender for email from that account, yes. You cannot set up a different account under an email that's already being used, so far as I know (though you can trick it).

:)

I am not sure what you mean by tricking it, but supposing you ran it through one or the other account by setting up rules for forwarding, it would still end up with the Evernote and personal/professional email information in the header. At least it would appear in people's email inboxes coming from the appropriate address, though. Way too much trouble for me! I think I would just be using copy/paste until this feature gets added.

• Level 5*

One trick is with gmail accounts, e.g., grumpy.monkey@gmail.com is the same email account as grumpymonkey@gmail.com (or as grump.y.monkey@gmail.com, etc.), but for purposes of signing up for Evernote accounts, they are different (or were when I signed up for my other account).

When you send a note via email, it does not use any client email configured on the device you sending from. My understanding is that the email is always sent from the Evernote mail servers, but Evernote spoofs the from address to make it appear that the email is comming from your email account. All my enhancement request does is allow the Evernote email servers to spoof from different verified email address that the user has configured in their account details.

It is not practical to email the note to myself at work and then send on from the client. First its a gigantic time waster to do all those extra steps and secondly, if I'm on the road I may not have access to all my prefered send from email account.

This change would have little impact on all the Evernote front ends other than allowing you to select which email address in the header you would like to use. Most of the change would be in the backup servers.

• Level 5

It is not practical to email the note to myself at work and then send on from the client. First its a gigantic time waster to do all those extra steps and secondly, if I'm on the road I may not have access to all my prefered send from email account.

Gigantic time waster? Come on, let's get real.

A simple email edit is not a gigantic time waster.

If you are on the road, send it to you work email.

Edit it when you get to your hotel room via VPN.

If it is more critical and vital to be sent immediately, then send it directly from Evernote.

I doubt that mission critical information would be refused if sent from an Evernote account.

If it is more critical and vital to be sent immediately, then send it directly from Evernote.

I doubt that mission critical information would be refused if sent from an Evernote account.

That is exactly what I would like to do. Email a note directly from Evernote and have it show up in my clients inbox as if it was sent my my work email address. No, it would not be refused but I also do not want my client to have my personal email address.

Maybe my use case is unique but I do think it would enhance the product overall.

I've done a bit of testing and for all of my pop accounts, it does not orginate from my email client but the evernote email servers. I'm quite sure they are spoofing my email 'from' address. The email servers and return path is evernote.com but the from address if my email address. Maybe this works differently for a gmail account, cant see how it would though.

If all sent email is being spoofed, then to add a choice of which email address to spoof from should be very doable.

• Level 5*

I've done a bit of testing and for all of my pop accounts, it does not orginate from my email client but the evernote email servers. I'm quite sure they are spoofing my email 'from' address. The email servers and return path is evernote.com but the from address if my email address. Maybe this works differently for a gmail account, cant see how it would though.

If all sent email is being spoofed, then to add a choice of which email address to spoof from should be very doable.

I don't have a firm grasp of what "spoofing" an email entails, but at least with gmail what happens is that Evernote sends an email to the account and that is then sent from the gmail account, so the end user only sees my gmail address. If they look into the header they will find Evernote's address, but otherwise, it is routed through my email service. It doesn't come directly from Evernote. My understanding of spoofing (I might be wrong) is that someone who spoofs my email address will not have that email routed through my account. It comes from one place and ends up in another with a fake header, right?

Anyhow, I don't want my ignorance to pull the discussion off track. However they manage it, it would be nice for Evernote to have multiple options for email addresses :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Trench - you are not alone. I also use Evernote both for work and for personal notes - sometimes they overlap. My (premium) Evernote account is associated with my personal email address.

At work, I take quite a few note (meeting minutes etc...) which need to get sent out promptly. Typically between 10-15 per day. The Evernote Mac client uses a simple mail window from the Mac Mail client which does not enable you to select an alternative account to mail "from". So, if I send directly from Evernote to clients/colleagues it comes from my personal email.

I share the same issue as Trench that I don't want to broadcast my personal email - but even more than that - I don't want replies to my meeting minutes/business notes going into my personal mailbox and mail server. In the few cases this has happened I have had to go into the personal account and forward - and ask colleagues to remove that mail (as once it's in their outlook it gets used as an alias)

Currently, I send the email to myself and then open the email, edit it and resend to my team. Sure- it only takes 5 extra minutes - but that's an extra hour per day total that I could be spending on other critical activities.

Also, I'd prefer to keep a single Evernote account/instance (I could have two but then I have to pay for premium twice because I need the encryption)

I'm not looking for work arounds - just providing feedback to the Evernote team that this is a desirable feature.

I've used Evernote for about a year and I use it for both work and personal items. Since I setup the account using my personal email address all emails I send from Evernote come from that address. I would like to be able to send a note and choose the email address, (allow a default account to be set in the preferences) I want to use. Currently I send the note to my work address, edit the note and send it out again, but I travel frequently so while this may only take a few minutes of work it often delays the note by a few minutes to a few hours depending on my network access and available time.

I'd like to see this feature too. I have one premium Evernote which I use for both personal and work items. There is unnecessary extra work involved to copy and paste a note into an email program as suggested above. Granted, it is not a huge amount of work, but we're talking about a productivity tool here!

Looking at other apps on my iPad, Penultimate (now part of Evernote?) seems to handle this better. The "Send page by email" functionality fires up the standard email editor which allows me to choose the "From" account.

I'd love to see Evernote implement this functionality.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Trench, this is a great request. It has been requested http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/10256-request-ability-to-select-email-address-used-when-sending-notes/ and http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16505-suggestion-ability-to-have-multiple-from-email-addresses/ and possibly a few other threads.

I'd like to be able to register at least one other email address with EN (having to authenticate is no problem), then when sending I can select between my work and personal accounts.

And yes, I'd be fine if this was a premium feature.

• 2 weeks later...

I would prefer it loaded my client email instead of the EN window as it could get to my address book at that point.

Evernote used to actually do this, on the Mac at least. I really miss this feature. It made so much more sense with regards to workflow.

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for this feature.

It is lots of headache when a business client gets an email with my personal address and then stores it in his Outlook aliases. From that point on, getting them to switch to my business address is nearly impossible.

Gmail, for example, allows sending email with different From addresses -- you pick one when composing.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a place other than this forum to submit enhancement requests to the Evernote development team? It seems that there is a great deal of interest in this feature; yet I haven't seen any official traction. Would have hoped that it was something they could have included for Evernote 5.

Yep, this is an incredibly important feature and currently a huge limitation for those using Evernote for both personal and work files.

The suggestions by some users to simply forward to your mail client and then resend using your preferred account is not a genuine solution and will lead to people keeping notes out of Evernote (something that I believe the developers would not want).

Could the note not simply be opened up in the native mail client which would then allow the user to select their preferred mail account to send the note from and do other things such as include other attachments, bcc people etc etc.

• Level 5*
Is there a place other than this forum to submit enhancement requests to the Evernote development team? It seems that there is a great deal of interest in this feature; yet I haven't seen any official traction.

The forum is a fine place to post requests; even though Evernote employees do not always reply, they do read all posts. You can also submit feature requests via the support request facility, Even so, don't expect 'official traction', whatever that is -- Evernote doesn't typically pre-announce feature roadmaps.

It will really be very useful for Evernote to allow users to choose which email address we want to share our notes from and to have multiple email addresses stored in our profile. It will make a huge difference. Please include it in future releases.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the only limitation of evernote that makes it inconvenient to use. I don't want to set up multiple accounts, as having everything in one place is one of the advantages of evernote. And keeping my meeting notes in evernote is great, as it allows me to tag them and share them--- very helpful. But when I do this, I have to first email them to myself at my work address and then forward them on from there. It would be SO much easier to be able to select either my work or personal address as the sender of the notes.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm struggling with the same issue. Adding a "From:" field in the "Email Note" window would add a lot of convenience (I use the Windows client). It should default to your account's email. It would be great if that field was a drop-down box containing the last , say, 5 unique email addresses used with that windows client as well. Then you could pick from a short list of addresses you use.

Now, if that "From:" field remembered my last setting (only on a client-by-client basis, this stuff would not sync to my central account), I could easily use my home PC or personal devices to send personal notes from my personal address, and I could use my work devices to send notes from my work address.

This would be a really great way to streamline workflows when people use the same Evernote account in different social/business contexts.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for this suggestion.

I just changed my account e-mail to my work e-mail so this would work. Most of my e-mailed notes are work related so that side of things will work fine.

However, I don't like the idea of my account and billing e-mail being my work e-mail. The account doesn't belong to my employer, it belongs to me. I had a hard enough time getting those OneNoters to let me use Evernote on my Mac for client work - it's not worth trying to get them to buy me a separate account just so I can display my work e-mail address as the return.

In fact, if for some weird technical reason it's too hard to have multiple e-mail accounts to choose from in sending a note, maybe at least you could have the billing e-mail be different from the e-mail displayed as the return address?

• 4 months later...

+1 to this suggestion!

I think this feature would be very helpful for people who use Evernote for different setting and like to organize things by their email.

I understand that some people think this is a useless feature, but for professionals who use this app across the board this would be so helpful and I would be willing to pay for premium for this feature!

• Level 5*

+1 to this suggestion!

I think this feature would be very helpful for people who use Evernote for different setting and like to organize things by their email.

I understand that some people think this is a useless feature, but for professionals who use this app across the board this would be so helpful and I would be willing to pay for premium for this feature!

This works in Evernote Business. Notes emailed from your business notebook use your business email, and personal notebooks use personal email. Also, reminders that are emailed go to your personal or business address as applicable per note.

Still, I'd like to see this added to Premium and not just business - at least the "from" part.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A definite +1 for this feature. 

I completely understand the workaround, but it really isn't viable if you're doing it multiple times a day. 

Until today, my boss still sends me emails to my personal address.. how did it happen?

I happened to send her an Evernote Note.  

She replied to that email, which placed my personal email in her outlook cache, and for some reason, every time she now composes a new email to me, my personal email pops up before my work email. 

Moral of the story, it would be a very useful feature to allow multiple address as a FROM when email from Evernote. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is Key Critical: I want to have notes created from emails that come from my MobileAssistant account. Has there been any progress here?!

This removes a huge non-value-added human step in my world and delays important collaboration on the book I'm writing.

Is there a timeframe on getting authorization for more than a single email.

How many people only have one email anyway!

• Level 5*

So double the cost of premium?

No. 267% of the cost of premium. $10/mo/user vs $45.

You get more than just a 2nd email address to be used with the business notebooks of course, but it is a feature. You cannot choose either. You assign one email to business notebooks, one to personal notebooks in the Admin web page for Business, so it isn't like an email client where you can often change the "From" on the fly. Their server handles it when it gets sent.

The way they implemented it wouldn't work with a personal account.

I am not defending them, but they couldn't just enable this for Premium users. It would require client-side programming so you could say who each note came from. I think they should do it personally, but don't want anyone thinking there is a flag that could be flipped on if they wanted to. There isn't.

• 1 month later...

+1 for either (1) being able to associate multiple addresses with an EV account and be able to select the "from" address when sharing by e-mail, OR (2) being able to use my default mail client instead of EV's servers.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

Also +1 from me (Premium user). We use Evernote more and more at work, and many of my colleagues is using their personal email address as Evernote account - it makes sharing of notes far more difficult, so please add alias email adresses as a feature...

If you upgrade to the business version, you'll get two emails. I don't think they will add multiple email addresses to premium as it would be one less reason to upgrade to business. JMHO.

Archived