(Archived) TIP: Evernote Templates - Let's Share Some!

• Level 5*

I have been working with templates for a while, and have been toying with the idea of cleaning them up to share with everyone, but I wasn't sure they would be of use to anyone else, because they are rather specific to my own needs.

However, I recently added color to them, and it has been going pretty well, so I decided to put them into my shared notebook. Even if the text content doesn't appeal to you, the colors in the snippet view and the notes might! Mac users, in particular, are probably looking for some color in their lives :)

http://www.princeton...o/template.html

I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions that you might have. More importantly, though, I hope this thread will encourage lots of sharing and discussion about how to make the best use of templates.

template.jpg

As regards color in snippet view:

If you choose to use TuskTools in addition, you can assign colors to notebooks. You see note entries per calendar day (+ time in day view) and additionally colour.

Besides the TuskToolsCalendar functions of

- view notes by create or modification time

and

- reminders/timed notes

the color coding is an interesting addon to the standard evernote client.

Greetings from Munich, Germany (whose soccer team yesterday chose to play bad and win as opposed to the Dutch which did it the other way round :-) ),

EvB.

• Level 5*

As regards color in snippet view:

If you choose to use TuskTools in addition, you can assign colors to notebooks. You see note entries per calendar day (+ time in day view) and additionally colour.

Besides the TuskToolsCalendar functions of

- view notes by create or modification time

and

- reminders/timed notes

the color coding is an interesting addon to the standard evernote client.

Greetings from Munich, Germany (whose soccer team yesterday chose to play bad and win as opposed to the Dutch which did it the other way round :-) ),

EvB.

Hi. Thanks for mentioning TuskTools. It is a third party app that I have heard very good things about. It looks like an interesting application, but do they have a Mac version yet? I do work all over the place (Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS), and I am generally averse to tying myself down to a single platform, especially for crucial things like calendars. Users who do the majority of their work in Windows definitely ought to check it out.

Munich Germany? I've been meaning to go when the Euro exchange rate is a bit more in my favor. I'll be sure to contact you before I do and get some tips about things to see :)

• Level 5*

It looks like we are going to have a new Evernote Fitness Challenge this month. Bring it on!

http://discussion.ev...421#entry144421

I made a template for it after our last challenge so that I would be ready the next time. It is based on one shared by BNF back in February.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/0cf44819-d740-4049-a41e-25bd8eae074b/78742f720942af4418f88e9d0ceb10b0

• Level 5

Hi. Thanks for mentioning TuskTools. It is a third party app that I have heard very good things about. It looks like an interesting application, but do they have a Mac version yet?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -

TT FAQ - Dec 26, 2011

Currently TuskTools Calendar is only available as a Windows application.

It's possible in the future there may be versions developed for other platforms, but nothing is in the works or will be available in the near term. I will be closely monitoring user requests as time goes forward.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -

I tried TuskTools last year and noticed very little activity on the TT forum.

TT Support - June 11, 2012

The developer responded that TT Calendar will be in the Evernote Trunk soon, so he suspects activity may pick up with an increase in download volume.

• Level 5*

Hi. Thanks for mentioning TuskTools. It is a third party app that I have heard very good things about. It looks like an interesting application, but do they have a Mac version yet?

TT FAQ - Dec 26, 2011

Currently TuskTools Calendar is only available as a Windows application.

It's possible in the future there may be versions developed for other platforms, but nothing is in the works or will be available in the near term. I will be closely monitoring user requests as time goes forward.

I tried TuskTools last year and noticed very little activity on the TT forum.

TT Support - June 11, 2012

The developer responded that TT Calendar will be in the Evernote Trunk soon, so he suspects activity may pick up with an increase in download volume.

There are a lot of great applications in the trunk, and I have only had time to become familiar with a few of them. I'll try and remember to look at it on my Windows machine.

• 4 weeks later...

GrumpyMonkey as an expert in setting and creating templates for notes I'd really love to get your feedback about a web application that I've created which is called KustomNote.com. You can create templates for your notes (note creation forms) and decide what fields to include, which notebook to use, what tags to auto-apply for new notes and even you can pick a theme for the created notes.

You can also use other templates shared and left as public by others or even go for good karma and open your templates (not the notes or notebooks) for others to clone and use in creating their notes. There are a wide variety of fields to chose from including SmartFields for Music and Movies that auto-populates a complete snippet about a movie or an albums.

You can set reminders too. Please check it out and let me know what do you think of it. Can't wait for your feedback!

Cheers,

- Hussein

• Level 5

Please check it out and let me know what do you think of it. Can't wait for your feedback!

Cheers,

- Hussein

You have done a remarkable amount of work already. I'm very impressed.

One minor issue. The icons only show up on Chrome, but not IE or Firefox.

The screen capture link comparison:

http://www.evernote....878bdf3935284ff

• Level 5*

GrumpyMonkey as an expert in setting and creating templates for notes I'd really love to get your feedback about a web application that I've created which is called KustomNote.com. You can create templates for your notes (note creation forms) and decide what fields to include, which notebook to use, what tags to auto-apply for new notes and even you can pick a theme for the created notes.

You can also use other templates shared and left as public by others or even go for good karma and open your templates (not the notes or notebooks) for others to clone and use in creating their notes. There are a wide variety of fields to chose from including SmartFields for Music and Movies that auto-populates a complete snippet about a movie or an albums.

You can set reminders too. Please check it out and let me know what do you think of it. Can't wait for your feedback!

Cheers,

- Hussein

Hello Hussein. Thanks so much for posting here about your exciting integration!

I am looking forward to giving it a try tonight. I am not an expert on templates by any stretch of the imagination, but I definitely approve of the colors on your website, because they are the same as the ones at my current university, so that is certainly a plus :)

It is also cool that you prepared a Japanese language version of the page, but I think you may want to have a native Japanese speaker take a look at it just in case, because I don't think it is saying what you want it to say.

Thanks jbenson2 and GrumpyMonkey,

Thanks so much for the effort jbenson2 of taking screenshots, that really appreciated. I'm using Font Awesome which is basically a font of icons ( http://fortawesome.github.com/Font-Awesome/ ) apparently as you've found, it works well only on Chrome so I'll double check to see what's the problem. Thanks so much JBenson, did you try it out? if no please please do and if yes did you find any other catches or do you have any ideas of changes that are better to be done? I really really appreciate it!

GrumpyMonkey, you are sure an expert and for Japanese I've actually translated the whole application to Japanese. I have used a Japanese translator for the translation but maybe with limited technical abilities the words lost meaning?! Does it really needs a lot of change and is it so bad? or is it that it could be clarified better? Thanks really for pointing that out!

• Level 5*

Thanks so much for the effort jbenson2 of taking screenshots, that really appreciated. I'm using Font Awesome which is basically a font of icons ( http://fortawesome.g...m/Font-Awesome/ ) apparently as you've found, it works well only on Chrome so I'll double check to see what's the problem. Thanks so much JBenson, did you try it out? if no please please do and if yes did you find any other catches or do you have any ideas of changes that are better to be done? I really really appreciate it!

GrumpyMonkey, you are sure an expert and for Japanese I've actually translated the whole application to Japanese. I have used a Japanese translator for the translation but maybe with limited technical abilities the words lost meaning?! Does it really needs a lot of change and is it so bad? or is it that it could be clarified better? Thanks really for pointing that out!

I'll message you directly about it. I don't want to distract from the interesting discussion here about your template integration :)

• Level 5

Thanks so much for the effort jbenson2 of taking screenshots, that really appreciated. I'm using Font Awesome which is basically a font of icons ( http://fortawesome.g...m/Font-Awesome/ ) apparently as you've found, it works well only on Chrome so I'll double check to see what's the problem. Thanks so much JBenson, did you try it out? if no please please do and if yes did you find any other catches or do you have any ideas of changes that are better to be done? I really really appreciate it!

Yes, I have dabbled in it. I have a few questions which I will PM you.

• Level 5

KustomNote has 17 public templates that can be made into personal templates. And they are editable.

Here is a link of the public template descriptions and their associated icons.

http://www.evernote....6902664f211e146

By the way, I sent over half a dozen questions and suggestions to KustomNote last night.

They have already been resolved or in the process of implementing them.

Impressive!

. Please check it out and let me know what do you think of it. Can't wait for your feedback!

Cheers,

- Hussein

I'am a fan of template, it looks great.

But how save is the site with my notes ?

Can I edit the notes local and then use them for private use

Whilst I haven't yet had the need for the whole template, your coloured bar at the top of the note gave me an idea for my shared notebook.

I am considering using it to show the title of the note at the top, and also possibly as separators throughout the note.

I am also toying with the idea of a footer type setup at the bottom of the note, using a combination of the bar, and a table.

Turns out, editing them is not too difficult (at least in the windows version) and I can adjust them to show what I want :)

Thanks for sharing the idea :)

Thanks again so much JBenson, GrumpyMonkey, spg and LocalSystem you're all amazing!

Special thanks though to JBenson and GrumpyMonkey they have been instrumental to our improvements! Can't really thank you enough!

Please let me know if I can be of any help :)

Warmest regards,

- Hussein

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers,

- Hussein

Dear Hussein,

I have been looking at KustomNote the last few days and it is exactly what I have been looking for to help create and manage a home inventory in Evernote. I am sure I will find many more uses when I give more thought to the possible applications. Good luck at Devcup. You have my vote!

I have not been able to find out how to contact KustomNote support nor can I find any online help. The interface is very intuitive, but I have a couple questions about how to easily resequence the order of fields on a template and how to change the sequence of values in the "possible values" column. For my home inventory template, I have configured a Location field and a Category field. Becuase I am creating the new template, I continue to think of new locations and categories, but I cannot figure out how to insert new values so they appear alphabetically in the list. I can only seem to add to the end of the existing list. Would you please let me know how to contact support or find other online support options such as a blog?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Amie

• 3 weeks later...

Hussein, I tried out your Kustomnote website and loved the way it worked, great work just one small problem, and that is that there seems to be no way that you can change the font sizes on the notes created !! and they are HUGE, I created a Customer Returns template with about 10 fields and when I printed out the form in Evernote it printed on 3 pages, is there any way to reduce the sizes of the fonts and arrange the fields differently. maybe more themes would help

Thanks so much Simon, I really appreciate your feedback. I'll add a much more minimal, text-based theme ASAP Simon. Thanks so much and please share any other ideas or suggestions that you might think of... that would be immensely helpful and so much appreciated Simon..

• Level 5*

Thanks so much Simon, I really appreciate your feedback. I'll add a much more minimal, text-based theme ASAP Simon. Thanks so much and please share any other ideas or suggestions that you might think of... that would be immensely helpful and so much appreciated Simon..

By the way, I don't know if everyone has heard yet, but at ETC Hussein earned second place in the DevCup. Congratulations! I think we are all excited to see how things go forward from here :)

Thanks so much ETC was really incredible.. it was so so much fun, great freebies and really awesome people sure including you GrumpyMonkey.. it was so great to meet you in person : )

Yep, KustomNote won the Silver DevCup!!

Sure GrumpyMonkey, much more to come ; ) as I said in the presentation, offline access, mobile applications as well as desktop applications.. so exciting to see that the application is put in really good use by our so smart users..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I really like the KustomNote, especially with smartfields. But, KustomNote created big notes (because of pics) for not so much information...

That's why I've tweaked some template from KustomNote and others apps (Hello, Food) to make my own template.

You can take a look here http://www.webproductif.com/2012/09/templates-evernote/

Thanks for sharing!

• 1 month later...

Do you use the desktop version of Evernote? If yes, you have to synchronise Evernote by clicking the Synchronise button. I will show up in a few moment.

sorry

i have the windows desktop version of evernote. created a template in kustomnotes and save it, syncro desktop evernote but it does not appear. i also assigned a folder created in evernote to the template. it does not appear...

any help?

thanks

It sounds as though you have created a template, but haven't used it yet.

Once you have saved the template you need to then click on New Note in the top left of the page.

There you should see your new note template, which you can then choose. Once you have selected the template, you need to click on Create <template name> note

Once there you can fill in the different fields you have added, and then click on the Create Note button.

The note should then show up in your account when you sync.

Scott

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5*

Can someone step by step walk through how to load GM's color templates so all notes are the color of the chosen background?  And how to add a template so it can be chosen when creating a new note?

Hi. Go to my page (http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/template.html), pick a note (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/db14a652-7361-4c2a-ba27-b5ae06321559/66ef5a58e9242fed67d3f8138c6b2f15), "save to evernote," right click on the note (on the Mac or Windows version), copy, repeat (maybe selecting two or three at a time) until you have a bunch (a hundred or so?). Every time you make a new note in that category of templates, go to one of your copies, change the title (if you want) and change the location (if you want).

Unfortunately, you cannot just tap "new note" and have it generate a note from your template. At least, you cannot do that without some new coding. My guess is that KustomNote (http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/05/17/evernote-pick-kustomnot/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EvernoteBlog+%28Evernote+Blog%29) might head in this direction someday.

Can someone step by step walk through how to load GM's color templates so all notes are the color of the chosen background?  And how to add a template so it can be chosen when creating a new note?

Hi. Go to my page (http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/template.html), pick a note (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/db14a652-7361-4c2a-ba27-b5ae06321559/66ef5a58e9242fed67d3f8138c6b2f15), "save to evernote," right click on the note (on the Mac or Windows version), copy, repeat (maybe selecting two or three at a time) until you have a bunch (a hundred or so?). Every time you make a new note in that category of templates, go to one of your copies, change the title (if you want) and change the location (if you want).

Unfortunately, you cannot just tap "new note" and have it generate a note from your template. At least, you cannot do that without some new coding. My guess is that KustomNote (http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/05/17/evernote-pick-kustomnot/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EvernoteBlog+%28Evernote+Blog%29) might head in this direction someday.

SO where do you store all those "Copies"??  In a notebook?

• Level 5*

SO where do you store all those "Copies"??  In a notebook?

The only place where note copies can live is in a notebook (easy to use the Copy Note functionality in the Windows client, at least,), unless you want to work out some disk storage where you store the notes in .enex or .html form, and import them into Evernote as a new note. I keep note templates in a notebook named Templates.
  • Level 5*

In a notebook is fine. You could also tag them as "templates." Whatever you do, you want to have them handy for use. Currently, for various reasons, I am only using plain text in my account, and those templates are for others to use. Mine are black and white with lots of text, and the templates are in my shortcuts / in saved searches.

Every day I make at least one research notebook note (and more if these are notes for future events), so I search (usually on the iPad), copy all (easy to do with an external keyboard), open up a new note, and paste. It only takes a few seconds. Alternatively, you could make a bunch ahead of time if you want. The thing with colors, images, and the like is that copy/paste is a bit trickier on the iPad (you sometimes lose styling elements), so fi you are going that route, it is better to just have a bunch of templates at hand.

• Level 5*

I should add that (with occasional temporary exceptions) I use only one notebook and no tags. All of my templates have "template" in the title, so a search for intitle:template finds them all for me (that is the saved search I mentioned in my previous post).

I should add that (with occasional temporary exceptions) I use only one notebook and no tags. All of my templates have "template" in the title, so a search for intitle:template finds them all for me (that is the saved search I mentioned in my previous post).

Thanks GM --

Now, how to get all my ***** jumbled up mess in a good order.  Thinking of using a combo of yours and some kind of tags to find certain things like blog ideas etc...   Thoughts?

• Level 5*

Thanks GM --

Now, how to get all my ***** jumbled up mess in a good order.  Thinking of using a combo of yours and some kind of tags to find certain things like blog ideas etc...   Thoughts?

Sounds good. The dates in all of my notes are chronological hooks, the keywords are topical ones, and the reference codes function like tags to cluster data together. Adding tags into the mix would give you another hook, and they are a lot more flexible than all of my methods, because you can modify tags across all your notes, and there are advanced search features for them.

Thanks GM --

Sounds good. The dates in all of my notes are chronological hooks, the keywords are topical ones, and the reference codes function like tags to cluster data together. Adding tags into the mix would give you another hook, and they are a lot more flexible than all of my methods, because you can modify tags across all your notes, and there are advanced search features for them.

Thanks and sounds good.  Moved all my notes into one folder to sort through later, but still searchable.  Now starting all new ones chronological and will redo the titles on old ones as i can.  I like the idea on the tags.

Thanks.

Archived