(Archived) BUG: Notebooks duplicated

mjcarroll

Idea

87 replies to this idea

I wanted to weigh-in on this issue (as the original poster of the topic). I still get prompts to update to the same verison of evernote that caused the initial problem. Weird. While I don't know if this is really an isolated issue, given the responses by evernote employees, it is difficult to believe that it really is "isolated". Why would an update that is still apparently causing this problem being made available? The explanation offered above by dlu is helpful but as a person who has paid (gladly by the way) for the premium service, I guess I expected a little more. I am not upgrading until the prompt tells me that the company has resolved the duplicate notebooks issue.

Would you mind telling us what version you're on and what version you're being asked to upgrade to? Also, did you download from the AppStore and are you opted into Betas? Those details would help us figure out what is going on with the update prompt.

I don't really ever pay attention to the previous version of an app I'm using when prompted to upgrade, but I'm on 3.1.0 on my laptop so that's probably what I was using on my desktop. (I've used the version from the Mac App Store on both computers.)

I'm having problems on my iMac after following through with the Mac App Store update of 3.1.2 released on June 07, 2012.

In the Mac App Store for my laptop it's telling me to update to 3.1.2.

I wanted to weigh-in on this issue (as the original poster of the topic). I still get prompts to update to the same verison of evernote that caused the initial problem. Weird. While I don't know if this is really an isolated issue, given the responses by evernote employees, it is difficult to believe that it really is "isolated". Why would an update that is still apparently causing this problem being made available? The explanation offered above by dlu is helpful but as a person who has paid (gladly by the way) for the premium service, I guess I expected a little more. I am not upgrading until the prompt tells me that the company has resolved the duplicate notebooks issue.

I don't want to speak for the previous post, but for me "actively encouraging people to upgrade" means that it's in the Mac App Store as an update. You all have an amazing track record , and your history (even prior to the Mac App Store) has led me (and probably most users) to assume that an update is ready for primetime use. Sadly, diehard users continue to become more and more dependent on your amazing service. Those of us experiencing this problem have likely never seen anything like this before, and it's kind of scary to think our data may be compromised. Hence the panicked voices your picking up in this thread.

I was slightly annoyed when I opened my updated Evernote application to find all my notebooks duplicated.

I became rather annoyed when I realised that it was going to take 3 steps to delete each and every duplicated notebook.

And found myself VERY annoyed when I googled the problem and found out that Evernote has known about the problem for more than a month, and not only hasn't fixed it, but is still actively encouraging people to go ahead with the upgrade.

I understand that sometimes bugs don't get caught before they go out. But what is the benefit to either party in actively encouraging people to upgrade when it is going to cause such inconvenience and ill will?

So I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "actively encouraging people to upgrade." But I'm assuming you our usual process of releasing a new version of the client, having it update in the store, etc. The latest version of the client solves several actively reported bug fixes and has other improvements, which is why it is still publicly available.

The duplicate notebooks issue occurs sporadically (we haven't been able to consistently reproduce it internally), but we started working on the issue as soon as we found out about it. We're working on getting it publicly available as soon as possible.

I was slightly annoyed when I opened my updated Evernote application to find all my notebooks duplicated.

I became rather annoyed when I realised that it was going to take 3 steps to delete each and every duplicated notebook.

And found myself VERY annoyed when I googled the problem and found out that Evernote has known about the problem for more than a month, and not only hasn't fixed it, but is still actively encouraging people to go ahead with the upgrade.

I understand that sometimes bugs don't get caught before they go out. But what is the benefit to either party in actively encouraging people to upgrade when it is going to cause such inconvenience and ill will?

Contacted Evernote support...they were very helpful. Here are the directions they gave me (verbatim):

Please verify that your notes are fine in your Web account at www.evernote.com

Once you have done this, please install the latest Mac pre-release version:

1. Quit Evernote from the elephant icon in the Menu Bar
  2. Drag the Evernote application to the system Trash
  3. Reboot your Mac
  4. Download and install this pre-release version of the Mac client:
    http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/prerelease/Evernote_300069.zip
    When you open our download, make sure to drag the Evernote icon into the Applications folder instead of running it from within the installer package.
    Eject the disk image and delete the installer file before you run Evernote.

After you have install the latest beta release, please follow the next steps:

(If you are unable to open Evernote at all, you may skip to step 2.)

If you have some important Local Only or unsynced notes, be sure to read the directions at the end of this email to safeguard your information. Otherwise please try the following:

Please try moving your Evernote database directory so that Evernote will regenerate a new local database by copying your notes back down from the service. To do this:

1. Quit Evernote from the elephant icon in the menu bar.
  2. In the finder, open the "Library" folder in your home directory. (This is in the directory with your name under "Users" , NOT under "Library" at the top level of your hard drive.) (Note: On MacOS 10.7 Lion, Click on "Go" and then Hold "Option". This allows you to select the hidden "Library" folder).

1. Navigate to "Application Support"
  2. Move the "Evernote" folder from that location to a different place (like the desktop)
  3. Start Evernote, provide your username and password again if needed
  4. This will synchronize all of your notes from the service and create a new local database.

*If you do have any Local Only notebooks, right-click the notebook name in the left-hand notebook pane and select "Export", then export the notebook to .enex format, exporting tags if desired. If you have some unsynchronized notes, you can go to the Note List view, sort by the "Sync" column, and export any notes that have a * in that column to .enex format before following the above instructions. Once those instructions are finished, you can then import the .enex files you created to restore these exported notes.

...And it worked. All duplicates are gone. Thanks, Evernote support!

I have the same problem...not sure I'm willing to just start deleting notebooks w/o Evernote support saying that's the right thing to do. Support ticket #16051-118854. Unfortunately, no activity log to display...

Well I am frustrated - again! I had this problem with the last update. I followed instructions posted on this forum, posted by mjcarroll, which worked very well. Then I did another update and got all duplicated notebooks again! I posted a support ticket (#16051-118609) this time, but I noticed in their faq that they said there is currently no way to automatically remove duplicate notebooks. So every time you release an update I need to delete all my duplicate folders? That is your solution?

I hope you can fix this soon.

With the support of the Evernote folks via a ticket, I managed to get things back to normal. Radiation Doc provided a great explanation.

What I did was delete Evernote from my Mac along with the database in my Library, and then reinstall an up to date version from the website.

Neat, clean, no fuss. Thanks to the Evernote Support folks.

D

• Level 5*

I kinda figured out the problem. When we upgraded the EverNote (for Mac in my case), the Evernote duplicates all notebooks into "local notebooks" (with a symbol of do not enter) while keeps all notebooks to the proper "Sync Notebooks" format which have a symbol of a book mark. In other words, Evernote duplicated a backup copy locally for us without asking.

When you add or delete or edit a note in a Sync notebook, you will find all Evernotes in different devices are synced. But if you change any thing in the local notebook, other devises are not affected.

I deleted all the local notebooks since I do not need an extra copy. But one may want to keep it as a backup in case the Cloud of Evernote is hacked. Your choice.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I haven't experienced the problem myself, and it was nice to read such a clear explanation of what happened to you. The only thing I would add is that users with a time machine backup will have versions of their database saved for each backup session, so no need to keep the extra copy on your local drive . In fact, more than any potential hacking, I'd say it is more likely that your own local drive would fail. Either way, you'll have a backup without cluttering up your local drive :)

I kinda figured out the problem. When we upgraded the EverNote (for Mac in my case), the Evernote duplicates all notebooks into "local notebooks" (with a symbol of do not enter) while keeps all notebooks to the proper "Sync Notebooks" format which have a symbol of a book mark. In other words, Evernote duplicated a backup copy locally for us without asking.

When you add or delete or edit a note in a Sync notebook, you will find all Evernotes in different devices are synced. But if you change any thing in the local notebook, other devises are not affected.

I deleted all the local notebooks since I do not need an extra copy. But one may want to keep it as a backup in case the Cloud of Evernote is hacked. Your choice.

Seems to be a common issue.

For me, it seemed to start just after I updated my version through the App Store. Previously, I had updated via the Evernote.

OSX 10.7.4

Evernote: Version 3.1.2 (255119)

I'll put in a ticket next.

I'm a pretty frustrated bunny. I first encountered this issue a week ago. I logged a service ticket then but heard nothing. I then had two chat support conversations where the issue was noted and I was told to wait on an email response. No responses. Its only now I found this forum and that the issue is common to several/many users.

I understand things go wrong but why can't Evernote at least communicate with users that have the problem and have logged a ticket. Even an email saying they acknowledge the problem and are working on it. Over the last week it just felt like my problem dropped into a black hole and was being ignored. In some ways its relieving to find that they are (I assume) working on a solution and not just ignoring me, which is what it felt like. Pretty poor customer communication and service.

Support has definitely been logging tickets. Do you have your ticket numbers and I can look into those

downloaded from evernote

Anectdotally, I have a PC at work, downloaded the update through evernote yesterday without incident.

Agree with jeffster. This doesn't make sense and I don't believe we are a small subset. But even if so, Evernote has enough data on me to automatically charge me for premium service, don't know why they can't be more responsive.

I'm having a hard time believing it's a "small subset" of users. My entire team at work and I started using Evernote a couple of years ago. We all have PCs at work, and 5 of us have macs at home. Two of us have two macs at home. ALL of us have this problem on ALL macs. I'm willing to bet this affects pretty much everyone. The only other variable is that we all use PCs as well, so maybe it's only users who use macs and PCs.

Any news on a fix or do I really need to open a support ticket and go through the whole process?

• Level 5*

Thanks GrumpyMonkey!

Yeah I had Evernote installed before. Pretty sure it was the same problem, and I did try showing hidden files, but still didn't find the Evernote folder in the library. It probably was somewhere around, but I couldn't find it. Anyhow, I was answered quickly by the support staff that advised me to do a full uninstall, reboot and a new install. That solved the problem since my Evernote Web files were not duplicated.

Glad I could help. Actually, it was the customer support staff, wasn't it. Good on them. I hope everything goes smoothly. Please feel free to post again if you run into any issues!

Thanks GrumpyMonkey!

Yeah I had Evernote installed before. Pretty sure it was the same problem, and I did try showing hidden files, but still didn't find the Evernote folder in the library. It probably was somewhere around, but I couldn't find it. Anyhow, I was answered quickly by the support staff that advised me to do a full uninstall, reboot and a new install. That solved the problem since my Evernote Web files were not duplicated.

Same issue with dupes here. Upgraded to Version 3.2.0 on OSX 10.7.4..submitted ticket...will see what happens. Seems like web is the right version so Ill be fine deleting if have to but waiting to hear from support team

Ticket #16051-126406

Thanks for this update. I was worried that would be the case so decided not to update to 3.2.0. Guess I will wait.

I just updated to 5.0.0 and now I have duplicates of all my notebooks. Any suggestions on the best way to clean this up !

Don't know what to tell you. I am a little surprised the company hasn't figured this one out yet. I am definitely sticking with an older version until jackolicious or another rep tells us it is safe to upgrade. Frankly, other than "good to hear it!" and "turn in a ticket," there hasn't been any such response since I posted this problem months ago. Let's hope they get it resolved soon.

Months later, I am still having the duplication problem, even after deleting all Evernote files and reinstalling. Even if I choose not to import notebooks. I am using 3.3.0 on OS X 10.7.5. Very frustrating.

I will be submitting a ticket and logs, again.

Ticket # 16051-131910

After upgrading Evernote via Mac App Store to Version 3.3.0 (300201), have the same problem many others are having - app showing duplicates of all Notes *and* all Notebooks. My Web acct seems fine. Running on OS X ver. 10.7.4

UPDATE: Upon further review, it turns out that there are exceptions sprinkled through my notebooks - occasional Notes that were *not* duplicated. These include old notes that were not updated in years, as well as new notes recently updated, and random notes in between, about 10% of my Notes, with no apparent commonality!

Any help/advice/news on this? This was the 1st time I used Mac App Store for an update, vs via Evernote - but this was to version 3.3.0! So, it seems the problem continues?

• Level 5*

I have the exact same problem. Evernote does not appear in the application support folder so I can't try the fixes mentioned above.

Have filed a support request, # 16051-115544.

Joel

Hi Joel. Welcome to the user forums!

Your problem sounds a bit different. Have you installed Evernote before on this computer? If so, there ought to be a folder there in the Library. I think the Library folder is hidden in Lion (apologies if you already know this) and you have to make it visible.

Same issue with dupes here. Upgraded to Version 3.2.0 on OSX 10.7.4..submitted ticket...will see what happens. Seems like web is the right version so Ill be fine deleting if have to but waiting to hear from support team

Ticket #16051-126406

I recently updated evernote to 3.1.2 via the mac app store for mac os x 10.6.8 (as a free user) and it duplicated every note and folder and maxed out my monthly usage allowance. Would really love to get that back since I still have half the month left. Going to request a support ticket. I may also do what has been recommended throughout the thread of changing the file located in the Library folder.

I just ran into this issue as well, upon launching Evernote for the first time in many months. I did install the latest version through the App store, and probably hadn't ever run it. It acted like it was running for the first time & grabbed all my data from online, while also telling me it needed to upgrade the local database from a previous version of the software.

While we wait for a fix, is there at least a recommended procedure to de-dupe which doesn't require triply confirming each notebook?

Also, what do the different icons next to the notebooks mean?

Would you mind telling us what version you're on and what version you're being asked to upgrade to? Also, did you download from the AppStore and are you opted into Betas? Those details would help us figure out what is going on with the update prompt.

Version 3.1.2

I believe I downloaded directly from Evernote on the new version prompt when I start the app.

How do I know if I am opted into betas? I may have volunteered to do so as a huge supporter of the app, but I don't recall.

I am not opted into beta.

• Level 5*

Version 3.1.2

I believe I downloaded directly from Evernote on the new version prompt when I start the app.

How do I know if I am opted into betas? I may have volunteered to do so as a huge supporter of the app, but I don't recall.

In the top left-hand corner of your screen, next to the Apple icon, you'll see "Evernote". Go to "Preferences," click on the "Software Update" icon, and check the box at the bottom for "Update to beta versions when available."

Version 3.1.2

This issue has happened to me on the last two updates! I updated about a week ago, and then spent 2 hours fixing all my duplicates. I then saw yesterday that an update was available, and hoping that it had fixed the dupe error, updated again. Now i have 3 copies of the notebooks, with 1 being a syncronised notebook, and the other two being 'local' notebooks. Where did they come from?

A real pain, and it happens repeatedly when I downgrade and re-upgrade. So I for one am unsure as to why Evernote is having trouble replicating it internally...?

I don't want to speak for the previous post, but for me "actively encouraging people to upgrade" means that it's in the Mac App Store as an update. You all have an amazing track record , and your history (even prior to the Mac App Store) has led me (and probably most users) to assume that an update is ready for primetime use. Sadly, diehard users continue to become more and more dependent on your amazing service. Those of us experiencing this problem have likely never seen anything like this before, and it's kind of scary to think our data may be compromised. Hence the panicked voices your picking up in this thread.

Wow. I don't think this could have been said any better. Very well said and more diplomatic than the Evernote Employee response. I too have the same problem and was put off by my data this time. That is scary. That being said, having been in the software development business for nearly 15 years I have been on the other side of this. Bugs take time to reproduce, resolve and release. Evernote has done a great job responding to all issues its users have in the past and I eagerly await the update.

• Level 5*

I've got the same problem with duplicate notebooks. I have a lot of important data in here and notice that the some duplicates (the (2) notebooks) have more notes, and some have less. This could be a big problem sorting this out. I hope Evernote can fix this soon. I have no idea which notebook to post to.

Although some of the posters have had success with their own solutions, I would recommend exiting Evernote and filing a support ticket. Ideally, you have Time Machine backups and/or your account synced with another machine. If not, this might be a good time to start :)

Seriously, though, I think Evernote customer support can get you sorted out, but mucking around in the account will make it that much more difficult.

In the meantime, use the web client? Alternatively, create a new user profile on your Mac and install evernote there. It will sync to your account on Evernote's servers, and exist independently of the problem account, so you can still use the Mac client to do your work.

Thanks for reporting. If everyone could go through support tickets and add in activity logs, we'll be able to easily aggregate all the data and diagnose.

Do you mean we should "add in activity logs" as a reply/addendum to the support ticket email we received?

Yes, they should be asking for it. But you could pre-emptively send it to them :)

Thanks for reporting. If everyone could go through support tickets and add in activity logs, we'll be able to easily aggregate all the data and diagnose.

Do you mean we should "add in activity logs" as a reply/addendum to the support ticket email we received?

I also filed a support request. My ticket number is: # 16051-110361

As terleski noted, the duplication is not occuring on the web client. However, I am still hesitant to do any work given it is not clear which version will survive after the fix.

@terleski - I have just responded to your support request. We will need your activity logs so we can determine what is causing this issue. We have opened an internal bug for this as a very small subset of customers has reported this and we in the process of troubleshooting this and pushing out a fix once we have determined the root cause.

• Level 5*

I've got the same problem with duplicate notebooks. I have a lot of important data in here and notice that the some duplicates (the (2) notebooks) have more notes, and some have less. This could be a big problem sorting this out. I hope Evernote can fix this soon. I have no idea which notebook to post to.

Although some of the posters have had success with their own solutions, I would recommend exiting Evernote and filing a support ticket. Ideally, you have Time Machine backups and/or your account synced with another machine. If not, this might be a good time to start :)

Seriously, though, I think Evernote customer support can get you sorted out, but mucking around in the account will make it that much more difficult.

In the meantime, use the web client? Alternatively, create a new user profile on your Mac and install evernote there. It will sync to your account on Evernote's servers, and exist independently of the problem account, so you can still use the Mac client to do your work.

Please disregard my advice about the independent user account. I suppose there are some benefits to this, but it looks like the applications are shared, so whatever version of Evernote you have in your regular user account will appear there. I guess I was installing the beta on both and didn't know it :)

Anyhow, it never hurts to backup, so I would definitely give a think to that.

• Level 5*

I have filed a support ticket.

I went to the web interface and there is just one notebook there. I did notice though that one notebook had a note with a "date" as a title that should not be there and on my computer it is correct with a title I added. I'm concerned that my data has been corrupted by the update. I am not a happy camper but will work with support to correct this. This is a serious problem with this last update that needs a fix before more users download this.

Thanks

Hi. You might want to post your support ticket number here so that any staff who come across this thread will know where to look and give you extra help. If I understand you correctly, neither the version on the web nor the one in your account on your computer is correct. That is not good news, and I definitely think waiting is the best policy.

If you have Time Machine backup, you're fine, because it is all there. If you have your account synced to another device, turn off wireless on it before opening Evernote. You can check there and see if everything looks OK.

For now, you might want to do what I said with the separate user account on your computer. I would create a new user, install evernote, and create a new evernote account. Use that while you are waiting to see what happens with your original account. You can always export / share your notes to your original account, so no worries about that data. This will enable you to keep working. In the future, you can download new versions on this test account first, just in case. I participate in the beta testing, and I sometimes do the same thing (separate user, separate Evernote account) to test it out.

I have filed a support ticket.

I went to the web interface and there is just one notebook there. I did notice though that one notebook had a note with a "date" as a title that should not be there and on my computer it is correct with a title I added. I'm concerned that my data has been corrupted by the update. I am not a happy camper but will work with support to correct this. This is a serious problem with this last update that needs a fix before more users download this.

Thanks

I've run into the same problem with duplicated notebooks, and that leads to a question. One of my notebooks has a number of audio recordings. Since is has now duplicated on my Mac (and presumably the server) and since it's syncing with other computers, does that mean that the extraneous material is counting against my monthly usage limit? I don't know if anyone here will know, but perhaps someone from Evernote will post.

Well, I followed the above steps. I didn't have an 101370.obsolete but I did have an 101370.imported. Took a chance and just did the same thing (renamed the file without the extension) and then continued. Success!

Tip - if you are using OS X Lion and you no longer can see your ~/Library directory, you can get there by clicking on the 'Go' menu in the finder and then choosing 'Go to Folder', and then pasting in ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data to the window that pops up.

Thanks, everyone!

So, failing to heed my own advice, I just decided to give a try to a fix listed on another topic. It goes like this:

With that disclaimer, here's what others have done:

- Backup everything important

- Remove Evernote from your applications folder (or other folder where it resides... in fact if remove any Evernote applications incase you have multiple)

- Go to ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data and find 101370.obsolete

- Rename 101370.obsolete to 101370

- Install 3.0.6 by going to http://evernote.s3.a...note_221382.zip

You should be running 3.0.6 with local notebooks restored

This fix appears to be working as the new install is indexing all the old notes...no duplicate notebooks appear.

In doing some more research I decided to check my local data folder where I noted one labeled "obsolete". I'll bet the other two commenters have the same issue. Will wait for instruction from evernote before I do anything with it.

Same problem for me - I updated Evernote, and then it asked me if I would like to import my notes from the previous version. Well of course I said yes - what would Evernote be without the notes? Now I have double notebooks. Not for all notebooks, but a good amount. I am frustrated - will I have to go through and delete all the duplicates?

I have the same problem.

All notebooks appear twice: once with the regular name, once with a (2) suffix.

It may be because Evernote has been -- and still is -- processing or converting my old note database. This seems to take a very very long time (at least 10 hours and counting). I have about 1200 notes. I have also experienced many situations where Evernote displays an 'internal error' saying that the note cannot be processed for searching (I will be able to view it, but not search it).

In Evernote Web, everything is still ok. I just hope it stays that way.

Same issue here.

I resolved it by closing Evernote, renaming ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote to ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote.old, then relaunching Evernote.

1. I DIDN'T HAVE ANY NOTEBOOKS ONLY STORED LOCALLY.

2. I KNEW FOR A FACT MY ONLINE VERSION WAS 100% UP TO DATE, SO I WAS WILLING TO LOSE ANYTHING ON MY MAC.

3. IF 1 AND 2 ABOVE DO NOT MAKE COMPLETE SENSE TO YOU, DON'T DO WHAT I DID. ; )

10.6.8 Version 3.1.2 (255119)

I did as recommended above:

*Closed Evernote

*Removed Evernote from Applications folder to Trash

*Went to User/MyName/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data and renamed 101370.imported to 101370 (no extension)

*It will re-index.

Note: I'm running 10.6.8 on Mac. Had no issue with PC client or web. Stay away from Evernote 3.1.2! I haven't seen dupes issue since the days of Palm.

Please include OS version and whether you downloaded from the app store. Thanks!

Ticket # 16051-111802

OS X 10.7.4

Pretty sure I downloaded it from the Mac App Store (the App Store shows it as Installed so I assume that means it's the App Store version).

Thanks!

I have the exact same problem. Evernote does not appear in the application support folder so I can't try the fixes mentioned above.

Have filed a support request, # 16051-115544.

Joel

I logged a service ticket then but heard nothing.

Did you get an email confirming that your ticket was submitted? If so, please post the ticket number here and an Evernote employee will hopefully tell you what happened to your ticket. If not, the ticket was never effectively submitted and you might consider trying again.

EDIT: Also, have you checked your spam folder to make sure the emails haven't ended up there?

I'm a pretty frustrated bunny. I first encountered this issue a week ago. I logged a service ticket then but heard nothing. I then had two chat support conversations where the issue was noted and I was told to wait on an email response. No responses. Its only now I found this forum and that the issue is common to several/many users.

I understand things go wrong but why can't Evernote at least communicate with users that have the problem and have logged a ticket. Even an email saying they acknowledge the problem and are working on it. Over the last week it just felt like my problem dropped into a black hole and was being ignored. In some ways its relieving to find that they are (I assume) working on a solution and not just ignoring me, which is what it felt like. Pretty poor customer communication and service.

Just upgraded to 3.1.2 after prompt, and same issue here too. :( All notebooks duplicated, some with (slightly) different number of notes.

Logs sent via email since there was a failure opening ticket (perhaps due to log size?)

Anyway Ticket #16051-111964 - any help appreciated - I'll hold off using it for a couple of days I guess in case some complete reset is needed.

Archived