Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

Going Paperless - Daily Workbook

paperlessnoteshelf archive handwritten sales customer evernote

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 seven_neves

seven_neves

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

Ok,

So i'm about to take the plunge and attempt to do away with my trusty Pen & Paper daybook method. (I'm in Sales)
In a nutshell i'll be using my iPad, a freehand app (Noteshelf) to take handwritten notes which are then exported to EN to archive the notes when all actions are completed from the encounter.

I guess i'm posting it on the forum to see if anyone in a similar position has already taken this step and can perhaps point out any pitfalls to watch out for, or suggest tips which may assist with the transition.

At present I have all my customer data within a single notebook and use tagging on a customer level to separate it.

Also looking for some general pointers on:
  • Best way to Title notes in order to allow strong search capabilities (at this point all I have in mind is 'Customer A 20120606') - I think I will have to edit the note created date when I upload from Noteshelf on a day after the actual customer call?
  • A search action that will bring up all notes in a certain notebook over a certain period (Search for notes in Notebook X for past 7 days) - for reporting purposes and not restricted to specific customer
  • Any other search actions that may be useful tools with this archiving method
Thanks in advance - feel feel to let me know if i've left out any info that you'd need to make an informed judgement.

S_N

#2 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

Ok,

So i'm about to take the plunge and attempt to do away with my trusty Pen & Paper daybook method. (I'm in Sales)
In a nutshell i'll be using my iPad, a freehand app (Noteshelf) to take handwritten notes which are then exported to EN to archive the notes when all actions are completed from the encounter.

I guess i'm posting it on the forum to see if anyone in a similar position has already taken this step and can perhaps point out any pitfalls to watch out for, or suggest tips which may assist with the transition.

At present I have all my customer data within a single notebook and use tagging on a customer level to separate it.

Also looking for some general pointers on:

• Best way to Title notes in order to allow strong search capabilities (at this point all I have in mind is 'Customer A 20120606') - I think I will have to edit the note created date when I upload from Noteshelf on a day after the actual customer call?
  • A search action that will bring up all notes in a certain notebook over a certain period (Search for notes in Notebook X for past 7 days) - for reporting purposes and not restricted to specific customer
  • Any other search actions that may be useful tools with this archiving method
Thanks in advance - feel feel to let me know if i've left out any info that you'd need to make an informed judgement.

S_N

Hi. Sounds like you have a good plan in place.

Personally, I prefer GoodNotes to notability. In your case, you might want to consider a PDF background form. If, for example, you have ten clients, you could save these as ten different templates with their names and other relevant data already entered. Obviously, this will save you time when writing, but it will also enable Evermore's OCR to accurately read this key content and index it for searching. As I understand it, you'll get better results from Evernote OCR if you save it as an image rather than a PDF. I don't do that, though, so hopefully others can offer advice on file formats.

NoteTakerHD and other programs offer a lot of automatic titling options for exported files, so that might also speed things up. The only other thing I would suggest is to practice ahead of time and become familiar with the zoom box. It will never be as nice as writing on paper, but with practice, you can get pretty far, and the convenience will more than make up for having to basically write with a digital crayon. I stopped taking handwritten notes about 8 months ago, and it has been great!

I've got a review of apps here
http://www.princeton...andwriting.html

I'll eventually get around to updating it and putting GoodNotes at the top.

#3 seven_neves

seven_neves

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for your response GM.

I've had a bit of a tinker with GoodNotes and it's performing well, although...
I can't figure out how to get GoodNotes to export to EN - does it have this feature, or are you using the email export function in your instance?

Thanks,

S_N

#4 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

I guess i'm posting it on the forum to see if anyone in a similar position has already taken this step and can perhaps point out any pitfalls to watch out for,

IMO, one of the primary considerations is to make sure you have your own backups. My motto is a girl can't be too thin, too rich or have too many backups. ;) IMO, the best method of backing up your Evernote database is to use one of the desktop clients. IE Mac client & TimeMachine or Windows client & whatever backup program you use. I also have my Windows backup stored in my true cloud backup app, Jungle Disk/Amazon S3 servers. Although I have great confidence in Evernote & I'm confident they have done & continue to make sure they have their own backups & are guarding against hackers, stuff happens. Doesn't matter if all their servers/mirrors melt down at the same time (aliens?) or someone hacks into them & fries them or whatever... I simply don't entrust one single location/company for my important data.

I know you can backup iDevices. But IDK enough about the iOS backups to feel comfortable with them as my primary backup of my Evernote database. (Plus, most of my EN usage is on my Windows desktop client, anyway.)

Another motto of mine...it's best to have backups you never need to use than need a backup & not have one. :D
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#5 seven_neves

seven_neves

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:26 AM

Hey BnF,

Already a step ahead with that - I take a weekly snapshot of my entire system every Monday using Carbon Copy Cloner (Mac)
Prior to this I export all EN Notes to the suggested .enex format so the snapshot includes the most recent versions of all notes.

With the prospect of going paperless as a daily routine I may make the EN Backup daily, just as a precaution and am hoping to identify a way to automate this to take out the human element.
Thanks to your suggestion above; Might also initiate a standalone version of the same notes backup in a cloud client for uber-backup (EN Servers fail the same night my house burns down?)

Thanks too for your input.

Also,
I was reading on a thread somewhere on the forum where you outlined a search action that essentially said "Search: Notes created last 7 days" I think it looked something like this - '*7days', but I cannot for the life of me re-locate the post/thread.
There appears to be another way to do it in the EN Search Operators post which reads - 'created:day-2' (i'm assuming changing '2' to '7' will perform as expected) But i'm wondering if you'd know if there would be a major difference in the search return and perhaps confirm your method so I can test and evaluate.

Thanks in advance.

#6 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

I was reading on a thread somewhere on the forum where you outlined a search action that essentially said "Search: Notes created last 7 days" I think it looked something like this - '*7days', but I cannot for the life of me re-locate the post/thread.
There appears to be another way to do it in the EN Search Operators post which reads - 'created:day-2' (i'm assuming changing '2' to '7' will perform as expected) But i'm wondering if you'd know if there would be a major difference in the search return and perhaps confirm your method so I can test and evaluate.

The search for notes created within the last 7 days is: created:day-7
See the Knowledge Base article on search operators here: http://evernote.com/...rticle/23245321
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#7 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,200 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for your response GM.

I've had a bit of a tinker with GoodNotes and it's performing well, although...
I can't figure out how to get GoodNotes to export to EN - does it have this feature, or are you using the email export function in your instance?

Thanks,

S_N

Hi. Glad I could help. Exporting to Evernote is no problem. You choose Export -> All Pages -> External Apps -> PDF -> Notes Only (if you want) -> Select Evernote. Other notetaking apps follow a similar (although usually shorter) process. Of course, you could also use email if you want, and that will enable you to send it precisely to the notebook you want, with the tags that you want. It will also leave a record for you in your email sent box for good measure.

#8 seven_neves

seven_neves

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

Hey GM,

I'm playing with the Free version and that path exists, however EN doesn't show up in the choices at the end.
Perhaps the Free version doesn't have that capability - but as long as I know the Paid version does i'll consider buying the full version.

Thanks again

#9 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,200 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

Hey GM,

I'm playing with the Free version and that path exists, however EN doesn't show up in the choices at the end.
Perhaps the Free version doesn't have that capability - but as long as I know the Paid version does i'll consider buying the full version.

Thanks again

Hi. Free version for me too.
*sigh* This is a very, very lamentable iOS problem that is not working in Evernote's favor. I don't know why, but Apple decided that users only need a maximum of ten apps listed in that dialog box. Unfortunately for Evernote, Kindle, PDF Expert, NoteTaker HD, and all sorts of other apps always appear above it and knock it out of the list. Judicious deletion of apps ought to bring it back into view.

I am hoping that Apple lifts its bizarre limitation with iOS6, but I know it won't. I am also hoping that Evernote will appeal to Apple (or whoever needs to be contacted) about getting moved higher up in the list.

#10 seven_neves

seven_neves

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:30 AM

Ah, that makes sense, but was a thousand miles away from my train of thought! - thanks GM.

I noted above that you're using the free version of GoodNotes - the paid version has just gone on special for $0.99
Just in case more notebooks would help you out.

#11 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,200 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:46 AM

Ah, that makes sense, but was a thousand miles away from my train of thought! - thanks GM.

I noted above that you're using the free version of GoodNotes - the paid version has just gone on special for $0.99
Just in case more notebooks would help you out.

Hey, good pull! (The Wire reference)
I'll get it. I was a little hesitant when it was 3.99, because I really don't need anything more from the app, but at .99 I am happy to pay the developer for a great app.

#12 Augustacarguy

Augustacarguy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:45 AM

Excellent thread.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ios, paperlessnoteshelf, archive, handwritten, sales, customer, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote