Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

Syncing problems?

iphone voice notes pc evernote

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Arklie

Arklie

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:00 AM

I'm a new friend to Evernote, and I'm loving it, but some help would be wonderful!
Recently I've been driving around brainstorming for a book I'm writing, and the audio recorder on my iPhone Evernote App has been wonderful for that. Last night I tried uploading those sound files onto my computer by syncing the two devices and now the audio files won't play! I've tried converting them to MP3 files (they're currently labeled as .enex, whatever that means) and playing them on every media player I have at my disposal, but they're not working! To top it all off, the voice files have disappeared from my iPhone and I've no idea how to get them back, or if it's even possible. I'm afraid they're lost forever!
Any suggestions?

#2 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,215 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:22 AM

I'm a new friend to Evernote, and I'm loving it, but some help would be wonderful!
Recently I've been driving around brainstorming for a book I'm writing, and the audio recorder on my iPhone Evernote App has been wonderful for that. Last night I tried uploading those sound files onto my computer by syncing the two devices and now the audio files won't play! I've tried converting them to MP3 files (they're currently labeled as .enex, whatever that means) and playing them on every media player I have at my disposal, but they're not working! To top it all off, the voice files have disappeared from my iPhone and I've no idea how to get them back, or if it's even possible. I'm afraid they're lost forever!
Any suggestions?

Hi Arklie. Welcome to the forums! As with any data loss, it is a good idea to contact customer support. They are the experts, and if your data can be recovered, then they're the ones who will know how. See the link in my signature below.

I have a feeling there is some confusion, so I will try and sort stuff out. If you know all of this already, I apologize in advance! Let's stick with text notes for this example. On your iPhone, you press the + mark and open a note. You type something into it. Then, you press "done." The app will automatically sync that information with Evernote servers somewhere. So, if your iPhone accidentally got dropped into the toilet and all data was lost on it, the data ought to still be on the Evernote servers. So far, so good. If you download the Evernote app on your computer, then your computer will sync with the Evernote servers and store all of your notes on your computer. In other words, your iPhone doesn't sync with your computer. Your iPhone syncs with the servers, and your computer syncs with the servers. This is important, because it means you potentially have three copies of your data floating about.

So, I really think the best thing for you to do is leave those notes alone. Don't touch them. Contact support, they will email you with a ticket number, and follow their directions. Good luck!

#3 Big Daddy D

Big Daddy D

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:36 AM

Arlie:
I would be interested to hear if you get a reply from customer service. I am on the road a lot and have recently been recording conversation notes in Evernote on my Droid device. When I sat down with my iPad to go over them, the iPad can't play the file type (even though it looks like a quick time audio file). My guess was that the files recorded on the Droid device were recorded in a different format. I can hear them from my Windows desktop, but not my iPad...and since 'not touching them' is kind of contradictory to the whole cross-platform integration, I would like an answer! Good luck on the book.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ios, iphone, voice notes, pc, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote