(Archived) HELP: Image linking gone and slow download speeds

Just been getting messages from people on forums saying "I can't see the graph you posted" or "what happened to your images".

Turns out that Evernote seem to have quietly turned off image linking. Now the only option is to link to the Evernote page which not only doesn't allow hotlinking, but shows my Evernote username. A big no-no!

Apart from the extra step of "right click, copy image link", Evernote made screen clipping really easy. So now I've had to move to a Google chrome extension and min.us.

A bit of a PITA to have to go back and replace the most important images with min.us versions; some notice would have been nice.

As far as I can tell, it was working just fine until middle of last week.

In addition to this latest thing, when I found it wasn't possible to selectively sync folders, I had to quit my premium subscription in favour of Dropbox. It's a shame, I thought Evernote was going to be my "home for everything", but being forced to sync 2Gb over a slow connection to a full SSD to sync one text note made that a no-go, and Evernote lost the pro revenue.

So, yes, I'll still be using Evernote as a glorified note-taker, but it seems that Evernote actually seem to be finding reasons for people to NOT use it or buy a pro subscription.

• Level 5*

Am I getting it right that you had a link to an image in your note rather than the actual copied image? So that a call to your shared note meant that a call would also have to be made to the original website? If so I'm guessing that Evernote might have been b-listed for using third-party bandwidth rather than having made a deliberate decision to torpedo image linking in that way. The fix would appear to be to save original images in your notes so the sharee is only making a call to the actual note. Or have a link to the source web page so visitors go there direct. I don't think you can pan one organisation for not delivering a back door to others' websites.

GRRR! That was NOT the topic title I used! Totally changes the topic meaning. Anyway...

Am I getting it right that you had a link to an image in your note rather than the actual copied image?

CTRL-PRINTSCREEN, select area, grab, right click "get sharing link", paste in browser, sharing page opens, right click on image, "copy image URL", paste as normal image into forums.

Until around Wednesday, that was working just fine. Now it's not. I don't see how a third party comes into this?

• Level 5*

OK - which OS are we talking about here? I don't get a 'get sharing link' option from my screen grabs. Does the URL you see include the address of the page from which the image comes? If so you're not copying the image, you're copying a link to the page it comes from, so when someone looks at your note + image, the note has to make it's own request to that "third party" page to request the image. So you're directing traffic to the page to show part of the content. Maybe. Web page owners (the "third party" I mentioned) tend to get sensitive about their information being used by people who don;t come directly to their website to look at the pretty advertising..

OK - which OS are we talking about here? I don't get a 'get sharing link' option from my screen grabs. Does the URL you see include the address of the page from which the image comes? If so you're not copying the image, you're copying a link to the page it comes from, so when someone looks at your note + image, the note has to make it's own request to that "third party" page to request the image. So you're directing traffic to the page to show part of the content. Maybe. Web page owners (the "third party" I mentioned) tend to get sensitive about their information being used by people who don;t come directly to their website to look at the pretty advertising..

Not sure I follow all or any of that. OK, OS is Windows 7. I see you're in Vista; follow this through, see if you get the same.

Open evernote

PressWIN+PRT-SCR, you get the clipper. Clip your image and go to evernote. Right click on the new clip;

i1vLcbK5mifFl.png

This give you:

https://www.evernote...586b185be49c5eb

No good for pasting in forums, and it gives away your evernote username; a big no-go.

So then you right click on the image and choose "copy image location"

iZguIkdMAmjFa.png

and then use that. Or you used to be able to, but now it's been blocked.

Now I have to do the same evernote clip, but select SHIFT to save to dekstop, then drag to http://min.us.

For me, it's no big problem, but it's taking users away from the EN ecosystem...

Does that all make sense now?

Testing hotlinking of images, following your directions.

ScreenClip.png

It appears to work for me? (even after clearing the cache)

Can you see the image? (a screenshot of your post)

Scott

It appears to work for me? (even after clearing the cache)

Can you see the image? (a screenshot of your post)

If I'm logged in to evernote in the browser, then yes. However, if I go incognito or try another machine, I see the same as anyone else not logged in would see and has apparently been seeing since last week.

Which is this:

iYXK72P0BqvAG.png

See the problem now? :)

Archived