How do you disable location services so notes are not auto-tagged with a place?

Hi there, I tried Evernote thanks to to good press. On my Android, it automatically puts my location at the top of every note. In the settings it says:

"Places: When location services are enabled, a place is automatically associated with the notes you create."

So how do you disable location services? Can you do it for just Evernote or does it have to be for your phone?

I searched the forum for "location" and there were no relevant results. Searched Google.com and found two results in the forum -- two other posts requesting that this be optional, but no reply from Evernote specifically saying yes or no or how to disable. Is there a way to disable location services for Evernote on the Android?

Thank you.

• Level 5*

Have a look at Evernote Settings on your phone. There's an option to 'use GPS satellites' and one for auto-title. If you disable GPS your current activity may still show up as the heading, unless you also disable auto-title.

• 1 month later...

gazumped - I'm having the same issue, but can't disable the "Use GPS Satellites" option. It's checked, but greyed out. I don't have "Use wireless Networks" or "Enable Auto-title in notes" selected in the Evernote settings, nor do I have the "Use GPS Satellites" option selected in my general phone settings (though I do have "Use wireless Networks" enabled). I've restarted everything and double checked, but every photo I take still gets a location assigned to it.

• Level 5*

@bklyngrrl - welcome to the Forums, and -er- I have no idea why your GPS option would be greyed out. What handset are you using? You might be better off talking to your service provider about this..

• Level 5*

Sorry bklyngrrl, unless someone else with an HTC Touch 4G can weigh in here, I have no idea how to switch the location feature on or off. Best suggestion short term is that if you have locations on some notes, you can edit or clear the content by clicking on the downarrow next to it. (On my windows desktop version at least...)

hello, i am a brand new user (just downloaded today!), and i am having the same issue as @bklyngrrl , but i have a motorola droid 4.

i cannot deselect the "Use GPS Satellites" option because it is greyed out. I do not think I will use this app if all of my notes and/or pictures are tagged with a location. i would appreciate any input you can provide.

• Level 5*

hello, i am a brand new user (just downloaded today!), and i am having the same issue as @bklyngrrl , but i have a motorola droid 4.

i cannot deselect the "Use GPS Satellites" option because it is greyed out. I do not think I will use this app if all of my notes and/or pictures are tagged with a location. i would appreciate any input you can provide.

Ah. Just had a look in my Evernote ~Settings ~Other Options and I too have a greyed out and ticked "use GPS satellites" option. Since however I killed the GPS connection on my phone, Evernote doesn't get a chance to use this option. Have a look in Android ~Settings ~Location Services to switch ON your GPS satellites service, then go back to Evernote and you'll find the setting is no longer greyed out. UNticking that one, you can then go back and switch your 'phone/ tablet GPS back OFF. I hope. Obviously one or both of these have to be OFF to ensure location blindness.

• Level 5*

OK I give up - lat/long locations means it's the GPS service that's feeding the information through to Evernote, but if you switched your 'phone's GPS off and told Evernote not to location tag your notes, it should NOT show up! As I said before, you can obviously delete the tag when it's not required, but that's extra unnecessary hassle that could be avoided. Anyone else out there with an HTC Touch 4G able to comment? Any ways to nuke the location feature?

• 3 months later...

I am also having this problem on a samsung galaxy (1st gen) on t-mobile. I went into the phone settings and disabled both GPS and "Use wireless networks" and I think that has worked, at least on the phone side. Evernote says that I should be able to delete any location information from the windows desktop client...so I was hoping to clear out all of the geotags I do NOT want attached to public records.......but in the windows desktop version "edit" and "clear" are greyed out. Any idea what I can do to un-grey them in windows? Or any other way to delete location information besides erasing all the photos? attached is what i see.

post-111022-0-14203200-1352355982_thumb.

• Level 5*

Hi @weeta - I can't immediately see why you'd have those commands greyed out. I just tried a GPS'd shot on my Galaxy S2, moved it to the desktop and deleted the setting without any problem whatsoever. How are you taking the picture? With the Android Camera direct, via the Evernote picture note, or with another app?

gazumped -

I am using the camera in the evernote food app. It's not the default android camera, appears to be an evernote specific camera; then it gets uploaded straight to evernote. I only downloaded the desktop app because the help page said that was best way to delete location info. I'm also checking "store location off" within that camera app, so... not sure! Will keep tinkering.

• Level 5*

I'm guessing the Food app pictures are flagged somehow to preserve the location information since a fundamental part of the app is recording what you ate and where. If the pictures are still in a Food notebook, removing the location might not be possible (or a good idea)

But if you move them elsewhere you may find the location data is then editable, or you could probably copy the picture into any image editing software that you have, edit the metadata to exclude location, and resave the image to a note.

Good luck..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have opened my Evernote to find that it has marked me as having a 'place'. I do not want it and have never wanted it. I have my GPS turned off and yet...

So I want to delete that place. When I click on the list of places, I get a map which goes blue and then does absolutely nothing whatsoever. I tried going online to delete it but no such luck. how can I get rid of this place. I don't want it.

L

I am having the same problem as lamenters. I just upgraded to Evernote 5 and I'm using OS X 10.7.5, if that helps. Basically, when creating a new note, I clicked things way too fast and seemed to have accidentally turned on locations for notes. I'm not really a fan of this, but can't seem to figure out how to turn it off in the new Evernote. Any suggestions? There is a good chance I'm just overlooking some option somewhere in the app. Thanks!

Edit: Oops, just realized I posted this in an Android forum. Sorry!!

• Level 5*

@lamenters: JMichael was requesting additional search syntax to reference location earlier this year. Unfortunately (AFAIK) it hasn't arrived yet. If your version of the mobile client includes the option to view "places" as well as notes, notebooks and tags, you can maybe find your note that way. If not you would need to recall some part of the offending note's contents to be able to find it.

@Annalisa: I don't Mac, so excuse a Windows-centric response; but my desktop client doesn't have an option to set location - that's a mobile/ tablet client feature. How are these locations coming up - as descriptions, or as Lat/Long entries?

• 2 weeks later...

Fix:

1) Enable GPS on your phone

2) Open Evernote->Settings->Other Options

3) Uncheck the GPS box

4) Disable GPS on your phone

Short answer: this "feature" becomes available when you try to change the GPS setting in Evernote and you currently have your GPS service disabled on your device.

I was really alarmed when I saw this was an issue!! I'm not sure if it's been explained like this, but I think this is what happened for me:

Both GPS & Network locations were checked in Evernote, and I noticed my notes contained the GPS coordinates of where I wrote the note.

My first impression was that it would've been nice for the app to ask me if I wanted to basically have a record of exactly where I was every time I made a note, but I figured it could be switched off.

When I found the settings, I don't think they were clearly labeled. I was looking for:

[ ] Add my location to my notes.

Instead, I guess it's implied that if you don't allow either of the two, tagging via GPS or via Wireless, then your notes will not be geotagged.

Here is where it gets bad (and confusing, and alarming):

When your device's GPS "sensor" is disabled, you are unable to change the GPS setting in Evernote!

I wouldn't create software where this is the intended behavior, but Evernote seems to be a pretty epic product... for free, and even better with offline syncing ($5/mo)!

With any luck, the fix for this is in the works.

The Windows 8 Client, now that is a nightmare :D

Hope this helps in the meanwhile.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First post.

Initial discussion in this thread shows greyed out GPS selection, autotitle in notes, and a few others bullet items.

My spin goes like this: any Android application using location services needs to be set as a user selection which is made within the applications.

Let me elaborate.

I want to leave the GPS turned on for many reasons, yet I want the GPS access within any applications to be user defined for whether the application gets location data captured from my GPS - some apps get yes, some get no. Simultaneously. It seems obvious to me that no Android device ever uses just Evernote on their Android device, so the user decisions made for or against accessing GPS data should not be made as a system wide yes or no, it has to be an app by app setting. I have several applications which want to access the GPS data, which situation, at least to this Android user, translates to several simultaneous reasons both for and against using any GPS data for a chosen application. I wish to leave the GPS turned on, and not suffer with Evernote placing locations in my notes.

NB: with a bit of research on my part, I've seen several areas of Evernot deal with location data. I decide that each facet of Evernote would need its own location election: I might NOT want restaurants to show up with locations in Evernote Meals posts (I want to be able to post later, without implying the location of the post was concurrent with my visit), but I might not mind letting a single note have a location added to it. Clearly, this location data cannot be permitted as 'all or nothing'.

I'd suggest any location data should be added as a post by post request for GPS data to be added. It only takes a few seconds for a GPS to capture location data, but it takes many minutes to edit the data out when location data is not wanted.

The end result seems to ask for location data to not be all or nothing, wouldn't you agree?

• Level 5*

My spin goes like this: any Android application using location services needs to be set as a user selection which is made within the applications.

Hi - welcome to the forums.

Location is a user choice - it's just that you may need to turn on GPS location on the 'phone, select/ deselect location in Evernote, then set GPS location off again if it's not otherwise in use.

Thanks for the reply. That sequence clearly wasn't obvious to most posts in this thread, and the method is quite unconventional, too. I wonder why this cannot be disabled unless GPS is currently activated... But no reply  needed, I got the location setting disabled as I hope will be sufficient.

• 1 year later...

I disabled mine by going to my system preferences on my mac then open security & privacy, click the lock to make changes, click on location services, unchecked evernote then locked it back up then checked all my notes one by one by clicking the 'i' at the right side of the note and erasing my address and they all disappeared off the atlas ;) 

Not sure of settings in windows but should be somewhat similar to the above 

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

I have opened my Evernote to find that it has marked me as having a 'place'. I do not want it and have never wanted it. I have my GPS turned off and yet...

So I want to delete that place. When I click on the list of places, I get a map which goes blue and then does absolutely nothing whatsoever. I tried going online to delete it but no such luck. how can I get rid of this place. I don't want it.

L

Until recently, I had no problem with turning the location feature off, which is how I have always had it.

Today I noticed that when I create a note on Evernote for Android and sync it with my PC, it will show up in my PC with a location.

It does this despite the fact that I have "Add location to new notes" turned off in the Android settings.

I also reset the application, clearing all my data, signing in again and turning off location in the default settings, in order to see if this would solve the problem. It did not.

The option is clearly dysfunctional as the app is attaching a location to every note regardless of user preferences. This is not good and I would like it fixed ASAP.

Users with the same issue can find a temporary resolution if they go into their phone's main settings and completely turn off all access to location for all apps on the phone, but obviously the functionality of the Evernote app should allow for turning it off only for Evernote, leaving the possibility of leaving location services turned on for other things.

I'm having the same issue here.  I have "Add location to new notes" and "Auto-title new notes" both turned off in Evernote Android (6.3.3.1) settings.  However, it still adds the latitude and longitude data to each new note I create.  Besides completely disabling  location on phone, does anyone have a solution?

Until recently, I had no problem with turning the location feature off, which is how I have always had it.

Today I noticed that when I create a note on Evernote for Android and sync it with my PC, it will show up in my PC with a location.

It does this despite the fact that I have "Add location to new notes" turned off in the Android settings.

I also reset the application, clearing all my data, signing in again and turning off location in the default settings, in order to see if this would solve the problem. It did not.

The option is clearly dysfunctional as the app is attaching a location to every note regardless of user preferences. This is not good and I would like it fixed ASAP.

Users with the same issue can find a temporary resolution if they go into their phone's main settings and completely turn off all access to location for all apps on the phone, but obviously the functionality of the Evernote app should allow for turning it off only for Evernote, leaving the possibility of leaving location services turned on for other things.

Archived