Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Web

REQUEST: Evernote-Google Drive sync

evernote

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mikestrong19

mikestrong19

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:24 AM

Is there a way to sync Evernote to Google Drive? Ideally, it would be through an Evernote Google Drive app. I haven't found anything, but ideally, Evernote notes would save in Google Drive and could be opened from Google Drive. Once clicked on in Google Drive, the note would open in the Evernote UI. When the note is saved, it syncs/saves in Google Drive. In essence, it would work exactly like current Google Drive apps (LucidChart, SlideRocket, etc.) Is this possible or is a Google Drive app in the works? If not, count this as a suggestion

#2 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,191 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

Is there a way to sync Evernote to Google Drive? Ideally, it would be through an Evernote Google Drive app. I haven't found anything, but ideally, Evernote notes would save in Google Drive and could be opened from Google Drive. Once clicked on in Google Drive, the note would open in the Evernote UI. When the note is saved, it syncs/saves in Google Drive. In essence, it would work exactly like current Google Drive apps (LucidChart, SlideRocket, etc.) Is this possible or is a Google Drive app in the works? If not, count this as a suggestion

Hi Mike. Welcome to the forums!

I am unclear about what you are looking to achieve by Google Drive syncing. If you are looking for a backup solution on the cloud, you could use SugarSync (and perhaps others) to designate the Evernote libraries as folders you want to have backed up. This would ensure the security of your data: saved locally, saved on Evernote servers, and saved on SugarSync servers. Perhaps Google Drive will have something like this (maybe Windows users could move their library into their Drive folder?).

If you are looking to be able to work within Google Drive on Evernote stuff, I am not sure how that would be different or better than working within Evernote on Evernote stuff. Basically, you are looking for a Google Drive app?

I guess I don't know enough about Google Drive, or I am just unclear about what you are suggesting. Could you explain it another way for me?

#3 Senad

Senad

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:20 AM

Hi Mike,

cloudHQ have just added support for sync between Evernote and Google Drive - please check it out at: http://cloudHQ.net/evernote

All notes are converted to both Google Docs format and PDF. Of course, all videos, images and other attachments are transfered too (so all your attachments are also available for other products Google ecosystem such as Google+ or Picasa).
The sync is two-way, so you can just edit a note in Google Docs and changes will automatically replicated to Evernote.

There is also a chrome extension which enables you to browse evernote notes directly from a Google Docs interface:
https://chrome.googl...phihhdlkobkehia

Thanks,
Senad

#4 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,191 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

Hi Mike,

cloudHQ have just added support for sync between Evernote and Google Drive - please check it out at: http://cloudHQ.net/evernote

All notes are converted to both Google Docs format and PDF. Of course, all videos, images and other attachments are transfered too (so all your attachments are also available for other products Google ecosystem such as Google+ or Picasa).
The sync is two-way, so you can just edit a note in Google Docs and changes will automatically replicated to Evernote.

There is also a chrome extension which enables you to browse evernote notes directly from a Google Docs interface:
https://chrome.googl...phihhdlkobkehia

Thanks,
Senad

This sounds very interesting. Thanka for posting. I can see some value in possibly being able to work more easily on both environments, but I am not clear on what the benefits of Gdrive sync are

#5 Senad

Senad

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks,
Senad

This sounds very interesting. Thanka for posting. I can see some value in possibly being able to work more easily on both environments, but I am not clear on what the benefits of Gdrive sync are

Very good question.

One obvious reason why to sync everything from Evernote with Google Drive is backup and service availability. in order words, don't put all your (cloud) eggs in one basket :). The availability characteristics of cloud services is different so it good have your data saved in multiple places.
For example, companies will sync all Evernote accounts (and Dropbox account) of all their employees into a central Google Docs account for purpose of backup and archiving. Additional to backup, they can use this central Google Docs account to distribute certain forms or documents to all of their employees: they can just drop a document into this central Google Docs account and all employees will receive their own copy of that document as a note in their Evernote account.

Other very common use case is collaboration: people love using Evernote and they use it all the time - however their clients, partners or even coworkers are using different cloud services (MSWord/Google Drive/Dropbox/Box). So sharing Evernote notes via different cloud service is a great productivity boots for many professionals and small companies.

The other reason is document workflow: sometimes documents start as notes, and then they envole into real documents/specification (i.e. Google Docs / MSWord document). But the line between note and document is not a clear cut. So it is good to have your notes/document is in both places...

Thanks,
Senad

#6 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,191 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks,
Senad

Very good question.

One obvious reason why to sync everything from Evernote with Google Drive is backup and service availability. in order words, don't put all your (cloud) eggs in one basket :). The availability characteristics of cloud services is different so it good have your data saved in multiple places.
For example, companies will sync all Evernote accounts (and Dropbox account) of all their employees into a central Google Docs account for purpose of backup and archiving. Additional to backup, they can use this central Google Docs account to distribute certain forms or documents to all of their employees: they can just drop a document into this central Google Docs account and all employees will receive their own copy of that document as a note in their Evernote account.

Other very common use case is collaboration: people love using Evernote and they use it all the time - however their clients, partners or even coworkers are using different cloud services (MSWord/Google Drive/Dropbox/Box). So sharing Evernote notes via different cloud service is a great productivity boots for many professionals and small companies.

The other reason is document workflow: sometimes documents start as notes, and then they envole into real documents/specification (i.e. Google Docs / MSWord document). But the line between note and document is not a clear cut. So it is good to have your notes/document is in both places...

Thanks,
Senad

If I were collaborating, I think I would want to try sharing an Evernote notebook with everyone, and using an external link to a shared document in Google Drive or Dropbox. I don't see the benefits in the conversion... I am still not sure what we would get out of Google Drive syncing, and I wonder what implications it would have for Evernote if it came to be seen as a kind of appendage to Google Drive -- a place to take notes until Google Drive gets up and running with its own notetaking (they dropped it a while back) and/or offline applications. From a marketing and business development perspective, I think Evernote benefits from keeping its service independent and encouraging third-party app developers for this kind of thing.

Things are getting more and more complex. Following your use-case, one could imagine using Sugarsync to backup a file in Evernote that is located in the Dropbox folder, which resides in Google Drive :)

#7 Chris2240

Chris2240

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks,
Senad

Very good question.

Thanks,
Senad

If I were collaborating, I think I would want to try sharing an Evernote notebook with everyone, and using an external link to a shared document in Google Drive or Dropbox. I don't see the benefits in the conversion... I am still not sure what we would get out of Google Drive syncing, and I wonder what implications it would have for Evernote if it came to be seen as a kind of appendage to Google Drive -- a place to take notes until Google Drive gets up and running with its own notetaking (they dropped it a while back) and/or offline applications. From a marketing and business development perspective, I think Evernote benefits from keeping its service independent and encouraging third-party app developers for this kind of thing.

Things are getting more and more complex. Following your use-case, one could imagine using Sugarsync to backup a file in Evernote that is located in the Dropbox folder, which resides in Google Drive :)

One other reason that someone might want to back up the evernote notes on say google drive would be if their company/organization has blocked access to evernote and it's site. If said person doesn't have a mobile devise that they can use to keep up with their evernote, they could use google drive or drop box (if they aren't blocked as well) to update their notes.

Chris

#8 LarryPerlstein

LarryPerlstein

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

I want google drive to be treated as an Evernote device. In essence, store my notes on google drive so that when Im working in google docs I have an easy way to access any notes I've written. Does that make sense?

#9 stephenallen28

stephenallen28

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

"I want google drive to be treated as an Evernote device. In essence, store my notes on google drive so that when Im working in google docs I have an easy way to access any notes I've written. Does that make sense?"

Your best bet may simply be to go into Google Drive, and to click "Download Google Drive For PC" - not exactly what you are asking for precisely, but it is a pc-based program that will give you access to your Google Drive content...and you could also move your Evernote content onto Google Drive...

#10 voiceofglory

voiceofglory

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:31 AM

"I want google drive to be treated as an Evernote device. In essence, store my notes on google drive so that when Im working in google docs I have an easy way to access any notes I've written. Does that make sense?"

Your best bet may simply be to go into Google Drive, and to click "Download Google Drive For PC" - not exactly what you are asking for precisely, but it is a pc-based program that will give you access to your Google Drive content...and you could also move your Evernote content onto Google Drive...

#11 voiceofglory

voiceofglory

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:40 AM

Hello everyone, similar to the post above, well, maybe slightly different:
I was looking for a way to use good drive as an external cloud storage for large media files. And then put links to those files into Evernotes. That way the media files dont take up vital space in my evernote usage.(even with premium, or business 2gb is nowhere near enough for media files such as movie lectures or large audio files).

Ive tried sharing the file through google but it puts the file into a note in evernote, thus eating up my space. 1 mp3 file thats 32mb (long sermon or lecture) is a huge chunk especially on a free account.
So, my question is, is there a way to just send a url link of a file in google drive, and just put the url link into an evernote, so evernote will just open the url link rather and not actually host the file? Thus saving space and using google drive as cloud storage for your evernote media files?
Thanks

#12 voiceofglory

voiceofglory

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:41 AM

Hello everyone, similar to the post above, well, maybe slightly different:
I was looking for a way to use good drive as an external cloud storage for large media files. And then put links to those files into Evernotes. That way the media files dont take up vital space in my evernote usage.(even with premium, or business 2gb is nowhere near enough for media files such as movie lectures or large audio files).

Ive tried sharing the file through google but it puts the file into a note in evernote, thus eating up my space. 1 mp3 file thats 32mb (long sermon or lecture) is a huge chunk especially on a free account.
So, my question is, is there a way to just send a url link of a file in google drive, and just put the url link into an evernote, so evernote will just open the url link rather and not actually host the file? Thus saving space and using google drive as cloud storage for your evernote media files?
Thanks

#13 voiceofglory

voiceofglory

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:45 AM

Also, note: trying to share the google drive file not only puts the file into an evernote, (taking up space and defeating the purpose) but also when u sign out of google drive and then try to open the file in your evernote , it opens up google in your web browser and asks u to sign in to your google account to access the file. The logging in is not that big of a dealbreaker, although it would be nice not to have to and be able to share that particular evernote notebook and others be able to open the links in the google drive.

#14 voiceofglory

voiceofglory

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:50 AM

If anyone knows how i can achieve this let me know!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: web, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote