Search multiple tags?

Is there a way to search for all notes tagged with multiple tags at the same time?

For example - if I have 2 notes tagged with "software" and 6 tagged with "education", is there a search operator I can use to view all 8 of those notes? I expected that something like tag:software OR tag:education would do it, but that seems to bring up only notes that are tagged with both tags.

• Level 5

Try the any command:

any: tag:software tag:education

The any command can be used for words as well.

For instance

any: exam test

will find all notes containing the word "exam" or "test"

Thank you. I did know about the any: option, but hadn't worked out how it could be used along with the tag: option, and searching here and google found me lots of information (some of which is very useful!) but not the answer to my query. Now I know :-)

And knowing is half the battle.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I have found a lot of good information on Evernote but it's scattered and not consolidated in one easy to digest piece. I wish that EN could do some kind of electronic documentation that they could easily keep up to date... that's the biggest problem I think, that it changes so much a traditional document would be outdated before it was completed.

• 3 months later...

Works great for me. Thanks.

Now is there a way to bring up a saved search like above, and then search within that? I will try to explain as best I can. Here is the scenario. I have a single notebook I put most things in. I have Food tags and created a custom search so that it includes all notes in any of the food tags such as Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, etc. I click on my saved search and all items in breakfast, lunch, or dinner show up. When I try to search within the saved search by using the search field at the top, my results don't change. I have tried this on a laptop and desktop with the same result. I am running on the latest version of EN Windows.

You can refine results of a saved search but the new search terms are added to the original search.

In the example you provided you have set up an "any:" (OR) search so any additional terms are OR terms. This may increase the results provided, it will never decrease them.

A simple workaround is to assign a new tag, e.g. "meal", to all of the initial results (select all, add tag).

Then you can change your saved search to e.g. "tag:meal".

Any additional terms will be ANDed to the original search (default is all: (AND)).

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. That makes sense. This is what I was doing. Here is my saved search for Food:

notebook:Primary any: tag:Breads tag:Breakfast tag:"crock pot" tag:Dessert tag:Dinner tag:Drinks tag:Kids tag:Lunch tag:"Make Ahead" tag:"Meal Planners" tag:Party tag:Random tag:"Side Dish" tag:Snacks tag:Soups

So it makes sense that I wouldn't be able to search within those results since they are an OR search and not an AND search. I wish I could though. Too bad there isn't a way to put all that in parentheses or quotes and then narrow down the search. Programming was never my strong suit. It's not a big deal. With my entire life in Evernote, this is a fairly minor problem for me. Maybe I will just do as you said and add all results to the Food tag. Easy enough.

I was expecting an email or something so I didn't check back until now. I just figured out how to follow topics. This is the first post to any forum I think I have ever made. Being an IT consultant, I spend half my life on forums, but for the first time I felt it necessary to ask a question. Thanks Owyn for the feedback. I appreciate it. This EN forum has some very helpful people and it is much appreciated. I spend a few nights a week reading through it as well as the EN blog for new ways to incorporate it into my life more. The more I use it the more my life is simplified. Sorry for the rambling. :)

• 5 months later...

I am a new user of only three days but I find Tags to be my answer to selective searching or drilling.

By selecting and highlighting a tag under the "tag" drop down on the left, then holding CTRL exactly as one would normally to select more than one item, one can then select more tags which limits the subsequent note selection to those notes with both those tags.

Seems to be too simple.... bit like rest of Evernote but so usefull.   :)

• 1 year later...

This is one of my frustrations too. Yes, they have the Knowledge Base and yes, there are scads of How To & Tips articles elsewhere on the internet - some made by EN, some by users. Some users have even published manuals.

But as nice as it is to have those resources (and this forum, of course!), it can still be time consuming and frustrating to find the info you need. That said, I understand it must be a huge challenge to even create, maintain and centralize documentation for so much software and in multiple languages to boot. And, as you say, much of it becomes quickly outdated.

You know, I'm not really even sure why I commented. It's not like I have anything of value to the topic. ;)

Move along folks. Nothing to see here. Just some crazing lady pontificating about the obvious. "Come along dear, time for your meds. Yes yes, that's fascinating, but doesn't a nap sound like wonderful idea? And tea? Marvelous idea! Right this way..."

And knowing is half the battle.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I have found a lot of good information on Evernote but it's scattered and not consolidated in one easy to digest piece. I wish that EN could do some kind of electronic documentation that they could easily keep up to date... that's the biggest problem I think, that it changes so much a traditional document would be outdated before it was completed.

• Level 5*

This is one of my frustrations too. Yes, they have the Knowledge Base and yes, there are scads of How To & Tips articles elsewhere on the internet - some made by EN, some by users. Some users have even published manuals.

I'm thinking of hanging out a shingle as a Certified Evernote Search Query Consultant. :)

But as nice as it is to have those resources (and this forum, of course!), it can still be time consuming and frustrating to find the info you need. That said, I understand it must be a huge challenge to even create, maintain and centralize documentation for so much software and in multiple languages to boot. And, as you say, much of it becomes quickly outdated.

Once I find the syntax for a type of search I need or may want in the future, I store it in...Evernote along with some keywords that make it easier to find, should I need to reference it later.  IE, searching on:

Evernote reminder* syntax

...should pull up the note I have that shows the syntax for searching on reminders & how the search engine functions with reminder dates.

• 8 months later...

Um, this is not working for me at all

Win 5.7.2.5753

Simple search for one of 2 tags returns expected results (notes tagged with either tag):

notebook:"Action Pending" any: tag:1-Now tag:2-Later

Simple search for another single tag returns expected results (all notes with this tag):

notebook:"Action Pending" tag:@Phone

However, I need to limit the scope of the first search to those also in the second search  (all notes tagged @Phone AND either 1-Now or 2-Next) , which does not seem to work - (no records returned):

notebook:"Action Pending" tag:@Phone any: tag:1-Now tag:2-Later

Please advise if this is expected behavior, and if so, is there already an enhancement request?

Thanks as always for an awesome product!

Deb

• Level 5

In Evernote, you can either do an AND search

Or you can do an OR search

But you can not do a combination AND OR search

The example you gave tries to do the combination  AND OR search

There is a work around but it involves additional steps which you might not want.

• 1 year later...

I found this thread while googling for how to do this in the new Evernote 6 for windows client as the process changed from what it was in the Evernote 5 client.

As of Evernote 6 you can do this in the GUI by following the instructions below (the keyboard shortcut for the tag filter button is ALT+Shift+T):

ScreenClip(283).pngScreenClip(284).pngScreenClip(285).pngScreenClip(286).pngScreenClip(287).pngScreenClip(288).pngScreenClip(289).pngScreenClip(290).png

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, CMagnuson said:

As of Evernote 6 you can do this in the GUI by following the instructions below (the keyboard shortcut for the tag filter button is ALT+Shift+T):

For accuracy you could do this before EN 6.  I don't remember how far back, but I've been using the function for quite some time.  When EN 6 was released the ability to enter multiple tags in a row had been removed, that is you had to hit Shift-Atl-T for every tag.  But EN put it back to continuous tag picking very quickly which was much appreciated by me since most of my searches start with tags.  :)

Archived