REQUEST: Ability to copy and paste an image

Foreign Devil

Idea

Using the web clipper makes one note per page, and using screen captures results not in text but in pictures of text; useless for many purposes. I've been surprised by this every time I try to accumulate useful data into a note and can't paste in images, only insert images that I already have as files (exactly the thing I'm avoiding)

I see no reason why failing to be able to copy and paste an image is anything but a bug or serious gap.

8 replies to this idea

Using the web clipper makes one note per page, and using screen captures results not in text but in pictures of text; useless for many purposes. I've been surprised by this every time I try to accumulate useful data into a note and can't paste in images, only insert images that I already have as files (exactly the thing I'm avoiding)

I see no reason why failing to be able to copy and paste an image is anything but a bug or serious gap.

I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread.

However, screen captures may not be useful for many of your uses, but certainly they are useful in a lot of cases.

If you want to paste pictures into existing notes, you should use one of the desktop clients.

I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread.

I've split Foreign Devil's post and BNF's response onto a new thread, since the previous thread was about something entirely different.

Foreign Devil, I don't understand. You just want to copy and paste images into notes? You can do that—or at least I can. I right-click on an image, copy it, and paste it into a note, wherever I want it. You can't do that?

EDIT: I missed BNF saying

If you want to paste pictures into existing notes, you should use one of the desktop clients.

Yeah, you'll need a desktop client for what I wrote above. The clipper serves a specific purpose, and the desktop clients offer much more functionality.

I was looking to see if I could copy-and-paste into notes without taking up any local hard disk space - say on a second laptop PC

Is it still not possible to do this using Evernote web site rather than the Desktop client?

Approximately how much disk space will I need on a windows PC to do this - eg once I have a large set of notes (eg 50,000 Snagit screenshots)?

(btw, I have a similar query in another thread here http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/33402-system-requirements-windows-pc-hard-disk-size/ )

Once I have an idea about all this, I'll finally decide whether to use Evernote, as I like it very much, and will be upgrading to premium as I expect to be a stalwart heavy user.

This board doesnt seem as active as i thought it was.

This query not so urgent now as I have decided to make a start with Onenote instead so ordered MS Office 2010 to get it - playing safe and sticking to nurse for now, and a giant firm, as an awful lot of work will go into building up my notes etc

Will probably use Evernote as well, see how it goes.

I am also having this problem - when I find images I'd like to use for my own ref on Google (I'm an art historian) and that I want to illustrate my notes with as personal memory aids, some images "stick" in my notes just fine, while other will not. I am copying and pasting them from the web but only a few work, the rest do not. Is there something i am missing, or is this a feature of EN now to protect copyright of images (which I am not breaking, since I am using for personal, educational purposes....)

I'm using a desktop PC to do this - would it change on a different hardware, or should I change the browser I'm using - currently IE?

I've managed to add an image using Evernote web this way:

• Save an image on disk as a file.
  • Using Evernote web: "attach a file" -> select this file
Result:

I can see the image displayed when I use Evernote for Android or Evernote Web

This is what I do as well, but it's frustrating that the web app can't cope with a clipboard image and these extra keystrokes are needed.

Archived