(Archived) Evernote for Mac 3.1.2 Beta 2

dlu

Idea

Hello People of Mac!

We have a new beta that has improved note migration. If you had noes that did not migrate properly, you can run this beta and it will ask if you want to add those notes to your account. The notes should migrate over properly.

We also have some bug fixes to the Activity feature and other misc fixes (Including searching with underscore). Let me know what you think and if there are an issues.

thanks!

If you've opted into the Betas, you can go to Help >> Check for Updates

If you're not auto-updating, make sure to drag the current Evernote app from the Applications folder to the trash, then you can download the latest version here: http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/prerelease/Evernote_253331.zip

40 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

GM / JM, what's the advantage to viewing as an attachement?

For me how I want to view attachments depends on their use:

• If the PDF is the primary info -- view inline
  • If the PDF is secondary info -- view as attachment

I have a number of Notes where there are several PDFs attached as secondary info.

For example, I have asset Notes that describe the asset, and then several PDFs attached for things like User's Manual, Recept, Specs, etc.

• Level 5*

GM / JM, what's the advantage to viewing as an attachement? That has always seemed odd to me because 1) the document isn't viewable in the note display and 2) it requires another click to open. By single clicking a header in the note list the pdf is displayed and can be viewed instantly in it's entirety. It just doesn't seem like there's any advantage to holding it as an attachment...so what am I missing?

speed. it kills my mac (newest macbook pro with 8gb ram) to scroll through a list of pdfs, because it has to render them. one page, no problem. 200, 300, 400 pages? awful. and, there is no point in viewing a tiny image of the first pages.

may is correct. all i have to do is right click on the pdf to change it to view as attachment. a pain in the butt for several hundred of these, but many of them are showing as attachments already, so it is just a matter of going through a few years of files... we'll get there eventually!

I haven't experienced that. So to be clear, the rendering is a problem when scrolling through a note list which has numerous pdf's, not scrolling through a single pdf with hundreds of pages?

may is correct.

Uh oh, did you just mistaken JM for May ?????????????????

whoops! jm is correct :)

scrolling through the notes is the problem. scrolling through the pdfs is a little slow, but to be honest, the only computers that seem to handle large pdfs are desktops -- mac pros and so forth. we have a few on campus that make pdf editing a breeze. i don't really expect evernote to magically handle pdfs well, but by putting them as attachments, it saves me the trouble of opening them when they are not needed.

I'm using the Beta version on a Mac running Lion with Safari - so far so good.

I clip a lot of content from webpages by dragging the weblink to the EN icon. I *wish* there was a function in EN to "clear formatting" once the note is created. Right now I manually go through and "reformat" so it's easier to read and I assume takes up less space.

• Level 5*

I'm using the Beta version on a Mac running Lion with Safari - so far so good.

I clip a lot of content from webpages by dragging the weblink to the EN icon. I *wish* there was a function in EN to "clear formatting" once the note is created. Right now I manually go through and "reformat" so it's easier to read and I assume takes up less space.

Hello. You can clear formatting by using Evernote Clearly (a wonderful extension), cutting and pasting with FormatMatch (a great app), or (less succesfully) with the simplify formatting feature in Evernote.

As for space, it doesn't matter how much it takes up. Evernote measures by upload amount, so once it is uploaded (when you clip the page) there is no benefit (in terms of space) to deleting anything. Of course, we are usually talking about tiny amounts, especially if you have a premium account,

• Level 5*

Hi. It looks like this is not a widespread issue, because I have not seen that behavior. I currently have Version 3.1.2 Beta 2 (253331). I am updating now to Version 3.1.2 RC (255061), which is the release candidate.

Hi. It looks like this is not a widespread issue, because I have not seen that behavior. I currently have Version 3.1.2 Beta 2 (253331). I am updating now to Version 3.1.2 RC (255061), which is the release candidate.

How do I download the RC directly?

• Level 5*

How do I download the RC directly?

That is a good question... I don't know the answer. I'd try exiting and restarting your copy. Maybe it will check with the servers and find the RC for you instead of the old beta.

• Level 5*

GM / JM, what's the advantage to viewing as an attachement? That has always seemed odd to me because 1) the document isn't viewable in the note display and 2) it requires another click to open. By single clicking a header in the note list the pdf is displayed and can be viewed instantly in it's entirety. It just doesn't seem like there's any advantage to holding it as an attachment...so what am I missing?

speed. it kills my mac (newest macbook pro with 8gb ram) to scroll through a list of pdfs, because it has to render them. one page, no problem. 200, 300, 400 pages? awful. and, there is no point in viewing a tiny image of the first pages.

may is correct. all i have to do is right click on the pdf to change it to view as attachment. a pain in the butt for several hundred of these, but many of them are showing as attachments already, so it is just a matter of going through a few years of files... we'll get there eventually!

EN..

Not quite sure what happened but my EN has been totally changed to my guess is a newer version. Do Not like this new look and it appears that we have lost the ability to enlarge or reduce the notebook snippets picture without having to go into the document. I have played with it and unless I just missed it ....its not there. I myself enjoyed that ability to slide the bar scale to increase /decrease the notebook. You get us used to a functionality that is great and then remove it on a newer version. We need a variety of "View Options".

HG

I downloaded this using the link in the original post and it showed beta 1 instead of beta 2 so I think the original link was incorrect as beta 1 was build 251394 (Evernote_251394.zip - I suggest you include the friendly version name/number in the .zip too if possible). I tried doing a check for updates but it said beta 1 was the latest. Then I realized I had the same issue as macfixer did and I didn't have the "update to beta versions when available" preference set (may want to auto set that if running a beta version already?). Now it shows RC1 as available. There's no new sticky post here for RC 1 either so it wasn't obvious that I should be looking for another version.

I'm hoping this fixes this:

http://discussion.ev...n-when-offline/

which has kept me from accessing all of my notes while travelling with sporadic Internet access. Thankfully I'm tech savvy enough that I was able to access the notes that I critically needed via the file system.

Found a glitch in the RC1 build of 3.1.2 — launched it this morning, and the left-hand column was "stuck" and I could not scroll it back up to view all notes, it would rubber band back down the list. I tried to capture it in Skitch...

Hi,

Not sure if this belongs here. If it doesn't, please point me in the right direction. I have auto updates enabled and am running the latest (3.1.2 Beta). I've noticed that recently whenever I fire up Evernote I get the following prompt*

*****************************************************************************************************************

Evernote wants to use your confidential information stored in "Evernote" in your keychain.

Do you want to allow access to this item?

Always Allow | Deny | Allow

*****************************************************************************************************************

I select "Always Allow" but it appears Evernote does not acknowledge this as I get the prompt every time. Thinking the keychain entry might be corrupted, I tried erasing the Evernote entry from my keychain so it gets re-created but the problem persists.

*It's possible this issue started prior to this update but I'm just now getting round to reporting it.

Hi,

Not sure if this belongs here. If it doesn't, please point me in the right direction. I have auto updates enabled and am running the latest (3.1.2 Beta). I've noticed that recently whenever I fire up Evernote I get the following prompt*

Evernote wants to use your confidential information stored in "Evernote" in your keychain.

Do you want to allow access to this item?

Always Allow | Deny | Allow

I select "Always Allow" but it appears Evernote does not acknowledge this as I get the prompt every time. Thinking the keychain entry might be corrupted, I tried erasing the Evernote entry from my keychain so it gets re-created but the problem persists.

*It's possible this issue started prior to this update but I'm just now getting round to reporting it.

I've had this too, since, I believe, the first 3.1.2 beta I tried (and it persists, through the RC and the official release). I haven't reported it yet because it doesn't bother me enough. But it's not right.

• Level 5*

(1) Attachments displaying inline

As reported for previous beta. Even when set in preferences to show as attachments, PDFs display inline. Not all of them, though...

GM, I believe that the setting in Preferences is just for the default for new attachments.

I don't think it will toggle the setting for existing attachments.

Nice update. Thanks as always for the speed with which your intrepid team works.

A couple of points:

1. There seems to be a problem with Trash. After Trash is emptied, the Empty Trash button remains active and EN does not return to the Notes list.

2. A long-standing font issue. When a new note is created from a clipping and I want to edit it, my default font set in EN prefs, Lucida Grande (which is the default in many Apple apps) does not appear in the drop-down font menu list.

Creating a new note no longer updates the related card in card view. I have to click in another notebook, then back to all notes in order for a recently added note to "refresh" properly. Clicking the Sync button does not refresh the card.

Creating a new note no longer updates the related card in card view. I have to click in another notebook, then back to all notes in order for a recently added note to "refresh" properly. Clicking the Sync button does not refresh the card.

Hmm, I just tried and didn't see this bug. Here's what I did

1. Create a new note (blank note)

2. Update the title of the note

3. Update the body text of the note

The cardview was updated each time. Did I miss something?

Okay, here's my post from the other 3.1.2 beta 2 thread that was locked:

"I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature but when I quit Evernote it forgets the width of the notebooks pane and resets it upon reopening. This isn't new to this beta. Since the widths of the note list and note panes are remembered when quitting, could we have the notebooks pane keep its width too, please?"

• Level 5*

So far so good. It is still missing many of the features I would like to see, but I have posted that wish list several times in the past, so I will refrain from repeating it here. You know what I want: the functionality Evernote Windows users enjoy.

As reported for previous beta. Even when set in preferences to show as attachments, PDFs display inline. Not all of them, though...

I haven't experienced that. So to be clear, the rendering is a problem when scrolling through a note list which has numerous pdf's, not scrolling through a single pdf with hundreds of pages?

may is correct.

Uh oh, did you just mistaken JM for May ?????????????????

• Level 5*

GM, I believe that the setting in Preferences is just for the default for new attachments.

I don't think it will toggle the setting for existing attachments.

really? that doesn't make sense. what if i email a pdf to my account and one computer is inline, and the other is attachment?

and, if you are correct, then why are new things still displaying as attachments?

• Level 5*

really? that doesn't make sense. what if i email a pdf to my account and one computer is inline, and the other is attachment?

GM, as you can see from the below screen shot, the Mac Pref setting is definitely the *default* for *new* attachments:

EN_Mac_View_PDF_Option.gif

My guess is that unless you change the setting for a specific PDF, it will use the default.

It doesn't matter if you attach it via email, or directly. The EN Mac client setting determines how it is viewed.

@DLU: This setting is in the "Clipping" section, although I don't see how attaching a file has anything to do with "web clipping".

I had a hard time finding this setting. I expected it to be in the "General" section.

• Level 5*

hi jm. my default for several versions has been set to view as attachment, but my pdfs are all shown inline, regardless of when attached them. new orold, they seem to be displaying inline. i haven't done a rigorous search through my account, though, so i am not sure what is going on. i have been able to view as attachment in the past...

good point about clipping. because we cannot clip pdfs, i guess i am not even sure now what this setting means. at any rate, whatever is going on, i do not want several hundred pages of a pdf in my notes. please allow me to display all pdfs as attachments.

• Level 5*

hi jm. my default for several versions has been set to view as attachment, but my pdfs are all shown inline, regardless of when attached them. new orold, they seem to be displaying inline. i haven't done a rigorous search through my account, though, so i am not sure what is going on. i have been able to view as attachment in the past...

GM, you may want to submit a Support Ticket.

I have had the default setting of "As Attachments" for some time, and whenever I add a new attachment it is displayed as an icon, as it should be. You can right-click on each attachment, and change the view.

You can also ask Support, but AFAIK, there is no way to globally set all existing attachments to a specific view.

That would be a nice option though. :)

• Level 5*

GM, you may want to submit a Support Ticket.

I have had the default setting of "As Attachments" for some time, and whenever I add a new attachment it is displayed as an icon, as it should be. You can right-click on each attachment, and change the view.

You can also ask Support, but AFAIK, there is no way to globally set all existing attachments to a specific view.

That would be a nice option though. :)

thanks. i'll have to do some more investigating, though.

so, if i have display as attachment on for windows and send myself a pdf by email, when i open it on windows, then it will show as an icon, right? but, if i have it to display on the mac as inline, and i then open it there, will it be inline or attachment? how does evernote know the view option for each pdf, and more importantly, why would this not be global?

i don't know. i may be totally misunderstanding this setting. until now, i thought it was global, and i hadn't noticed that the wording doesn't even make sense -- we cannot clip pdfs.

• Level 5*

GM, I'm just guessing, but I suspect that the Attachment Default View works like the Default Font:

• You can have a different default in each client
  • If you add new text/attachment, it uses the default for that client, but does NOT embed the view setting in the Note content.
  • It will then display in each client according to that client's default.
  • If you change the text/attachment from the default, then the view setting is embedded in the Note content, and will be displayed like that in all clients.

• Level 5*

i see. so, perhaps as soon as i open the note on my mac or windows device (assuming i mailed it) that takes on the preferences i have chosen. and, i am stuck with that forever, i guess.

i wish that it were a global feature. in fact, i wish we could set the fonts globally as well. if wishes were fishes...

• Level 5*

i see. so, perhaps as soon as i open the note on my mac or windows device (assuming i mailed it) that takes on the preferences i have chosen. and, i am stuck with that forever, i guess.

No, you are NOT stuck with that forever. Just right-click on the Attachment, and change the view.

EDIT:

@DLU and Evernote Team: This is a great example of why we need a complete, up-to-date User's Guide and KB.

Archived