Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
BlackBerry

PlayBook Update Coming Soon

playbook evernote

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 gbarry

gbarry

• Title: Admin in Residence
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:04 PM

First off, we want to thank our users for keeping us on our toes over the past few months with the PlayBook, in particular PlayBookUser and Metroside, and many of the users in this thread, for continuing to maintain the pressure and engagement with us concerning Evernote for the Playbook. The process internally has been a long one, and we know that we have owed our users official messaging concerning the Playbook for some time.

With regard to the bug that has been essentially hobbling Evernote for the PB, this will be fixed soon, getting us back to a functioning version of EN on the PlayBook. In the mean time, we will be pulling the app from BlackBerry App World until the fix is confirmed.

The referenced thread above also contains some good discussion involving sideloading the Android version of Evernote onto the Playbook as a potential workaround. We've always believed in developing native apps that work best on their intended platform. And while we think that sideloading is a workable option, it won't provide the full BB experience, and users with a sideloaded version of Evernote will experience a number of limitations, including lack of camera support and the maps API (places feature), amongst other deficiencies. In short, there are limitations, and we wouldn't want to officially release anything that has that kind of reduced functionality.

Again, we'd like to thank you all for your continuing patience, and we hope this at least provides more information around an impending fix for current PB issues. More to come.

Check out our Knowledgebase. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Check out the Getting Started Guide. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#2 metroside

metroside

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • Group: Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

Thanks for the response @gbarry. I'm excited to hear that a fix is being worked on.

Twitter: @richramo
Premium EN User

#3 PlayBookUser

PlayBookUser

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

Evernote has never given any explanation whatsoever as to why the "internal process" has been so long.

We are not talking about rocket science here. This is about getting the app to work with PlayBook's predictive keyboard. Every other app developer has been able to navigate this issue without a problem.

Evernote knew there was an issue when O.S. 2.0 was in beta, and did nothing. Since O.S. 2.0's release, and being aware of the issue, Evernote remains non-responsive. Instead, we have been strung along.

I think I can fairly say that there are many other PlayBook users out there who want a direct answer to 2 simple questions:
  • Does Evernote intend to support the PlayBook platform going forward?
  • When can we expect a working app?
Please dispense with the coy marketing claptrap, show some respect to those of us who have demonstrated patience with Evernote until now, and provide some answers. If Evernote is not going to support the platform, life will not end. We will either find a work-around or part ways.

Stringing your PlayBook user base along in the manner Evernote has done is unacceptable.

#4 heather

heather

• Title: Support Maven
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:53 AM

With regard to the bug that has been essentially hobbling Evernote for the PB, this will be fixed soon, getting us back to a functioning version of EN on the PlayBook.

I do believe that answers both of your questions, namely, yes we're supporting it and it's coming soon.

We do not publish any confirmed release dates, for any of our platforms.

Check out our Knowledgebase | View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows or iOS or Android | Check out the Getting Started Guide | Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#5 PlayBookUser

PlayBookUser

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:54 AM

Frankly, Heather, that's ridiculous. I think we both know that "soon" is not an answer to "when?”.

As to Evernote's commitment to the platform, Evernote released this last update in the full knowledge that it would not work on O.S. 2.0. Rather than issue a simple fix after O.S. 2.0 was officially released, it ignored the problem - and, by extension, the numerous loyal users of your service who bought a PlayBook thinking Evernote offered a product for it.

Not to put too fine a point on things, but Evernote didn't pull the app out of some concern for its PlayBook user base. Evernote was asked to remove the app because it doesn't work on its target device.

Rather than simply fix the "bug that has been hobbling Evernote for PB" and avoid having to do that, it simply pulled the app.

So, I beg to differ; neither question has been answered.

#6 black.rhino

black.rhino

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

This is excellent news, although I will admit that if it simply a bug fixing update I will be disappointed. The android version of the app is PHENOMENAL, and I personally think QNX could give evernote a few more tools to really make a fantastic app. Until we have offline notebooks, and the functionality of the app on other platforms, most evernote die-hards will use the sideloaded android version.
Again, any update is appreciated, and the knowledge that the EN Team is committed to supporting the PlayBook is great, because there are some really cool dev tools for playbook and bb10 now. Look into the Certified Quality App by RIM program for the new OS.

BlackBerry 10

Feature Requests

#7 emtunc

emtunc

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

Finally an update from an official. Long overdue but at least we have one now.

Hopefully we see more than just a simple bug fix! Looking forward to offline storage and UI overhaul.

#8 black.rhino

black.rhino

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • 102 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

BUMP

BlackBerry 10

Feature Requests

#9 emtunc

emtunc

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

OS 2.1 for developers released today - don't forget to try the updated app on the new OS so it doesn't break again... 'unexpectedly'.

http://crackberry.co...lopers-released

#10 Karolyn

Karolyn

• 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

Update- we have a beta build that is in testing. The build contains a fix for the text control issue that was introduced with the OS 2.0 update.

As soon as the build is validated - we will be pushing it to the App World. It generally takes 1 week or so to become available once we have submitted the build. We will post back to this thread to let you know when it is live.

Please message me directly if you would be interested in helping us beta test this fix. In order to beta test, you will need to be able to load .bar files onto your PlayBook. We're looking to test on OS 2.0 as well as on the OS 2.1 Beta if anyone has already upgraded.

Thanks for everyone's help and patience as we close out this text control issue-

Karolyn

#11 ruichambel

ruichambel

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

Update- we have a beta build that is in testing. The build contains a fix for the text control issue that was introduced with the OS 2.0 update.

As soon as the build is validated - we will be pushing it to the App World. It generally takes 1 week or so to become available once we have submitted the build. We will post back to this thread to let you know when it is live.

Please message me directly if you would be interested in helping us beta test this fix. In order to beta test, you will need to be able to load .bar files onto your PlayBook. We're looking to test on OS 2.0 as well as on the OS 2.1 Beta if anyone has already upgraded.

Thanks for everyone's help and patience as we close out this text control issue-

Karolyn

I'm using OS 2.1 and i would love to test the new version. Thanks
Using evernote on: blackberry playbook, chrome, web, vista, win 7

#12 heather

heather

• Title: Support Maven
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

Make sure you use the "Send Message" option by hovering over Karolyn's name and sending her a message to be added into the beta.

Check out our Knowledgebase | View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows or iOS or Android | Check out the Getting Started Guide | Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#13 TimBero

TimBero

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

Karolyn

Hi Karolyn, I'd love to have a go, can you please send me the .bar?
Thanks

#14 Zoban

Zoban

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

Running 2.1 here and would give the beta a shot..

#15 vecharo

vecharo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

Running 2.1. I've sent Karolyn a message. Thank you

#16 RecioC

RecioC

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

Just sent my message.

Thanks.
- I am
Chris Recio

#17 bb-bmore

bb-bmore

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

I would like to help test evernote for 2.1 beta. I sent my email ina pm thanks! :ph34r:

#18 Karolyn

Karolyn

• 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hello All,

Thank you for the interest in testing the beta build that includes the bug fix for the text control. We have a lot of beta users signed up now - so please hold tight as we push this fix out. There should be enough people to kick the tires on the text control fix - so hopefully we can push it out to the App World shortly.

Thanks,
Karolyn

#19 UgBadBoy

UgBadBoy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

Request sent!

#20 bizdudePB

bizdudePB

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

I use Evernote extensively and will grab this as soon as it is available. I use it on my PB, 9810, 9900 and Windows 7 machines.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blackberry, playbook, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote