(Archived) HOWTO: Back up a Mac database? [ANSWERED]

Al from WS

Idea

All the Windows posts say backup the "exb" file. I cannot find an "exb" on my Mac. I've tried checking my preferences to find the path to EN, but on a Mac there is no path information. It looks like most/all? of the EN stuff is in /Users/myname/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote. is this the "exb"?

I do have Time Macine running, but I have no idea what I would have to recover. I would like to make another backup on an external drive that I could store elsewhere.

Do i loose anything if I just export my notebook(s)?

Any help would be appreciated.

10 replies to this idea

That article is a little outdated as Evernote Mac has changed its directory structure in the 3.1 update but you're in the right place, Al. I backup the /Users/login/Library/Application Support/Evernote folder. No need to drill down any further.

Thanks jbenson2 and tardis. I feel a lot better about backing up EN.

If I just exported notebooks with tags, do I loose anything or is faster just to backup the directory?

I did move 1 notebook from a PC to a Mac and it appeared to go okay, except for a case difference in one of my tags caused some tags not to transfer.

• Level 5*

There is one aspect of the Evernote prescribed restore process for the Mac that I don't understand.

If I have backed up the entire Evernote DB/Folders at "/Users/login/Library/Application Support/Evernote", then why do I need to do anything after a FULL restore to that same location?

IOW, why is it necessary to export and then import AFTER the restore?

My experience was a little bit different than all those above, and definitely stranger.

I recently updated to Evernote 5. Today I noticed the back and forward buttons were no longer there. A little searching on this forum pointed me to a post that showed how to update to 5.02 (not yet available in the Mac App Store). I downloaded it and attempted to install it but got a lot of problems.

I visted this post intending to back up my data, delete everything evernote related, and install the new version.

Much to my surprise I could not find the ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote directory mentioned above.

I did find two Evernote related directories under ~/LIbrary: ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote and ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.EvernoteHelper.

I tried to save them in a zip file but it was taking too long so I simply moved them to a new directory, exBackup/, I created.

The 5.02 installation then went (almost) fine. It installed correctly and downloaded all my current notes from the cloud.

The only thing that is wrong is that it is not always using the evernote icon. It does start evernote helper correctly and use the right icon for that, but the evernote icon in the dock is incorrect. It's also incorrect in the Applications see-through pane you can invoke from the dock but does seem to be correct It in the applications finder folder.

I'll try a reinstall. If that doesn't fix the icon problem, I'll try to fix them manually.

As an interesting side note: there were a ton of very large files in ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote that had absolutely nothing to do with Evernote. It will be interesting to see if anything else breaks.

By the way, those com.evernote directories are no longer around after the reinstall.

Another side note: reinstalling did not fix the icon problem. I'll probably let it slide until the official Mac App Store release.

Final, final side note: chossing "show in finder" from the dock icon popup menu seems to have fixed the dock icon. Still messed up in the see-through window, though.

• Level 5*

My experience was a little bit different than all those above, and definitely stranger.

I recently updated to Evernote 5. Today I noticed the back and forward buttons were no longer there. A little searching on this forum pointed me to a post that showed how to update to 5.02 (not yet available in the Mac App Store). I downloaded it and attempted to install it but got a lot of problems.

I visted this post intending to back up my data, delete everything evernote related, and install the new version.

Much to my surprise I could not find the ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote directory mentioned above.

I did find two Evernote related directories under ~/LIbrary: ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote and ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.EvernoteHelper.

I tried to save them in a zip file but it was taking too long so I simply moved them to a new directory, exBackup/, I created.

The 5.02 installation then went (almost) fine. It installed correctly and downloaded all my current notes from the cloud.

The only thing that is wrong is that it is not always using the evernote icon. It does start evernote helper correctly and use the right icon for that, but the evernote icon in the dock is incorrect. It's also incorrect in the Applications see-through pane you can invoke from the dock but does seem to be correct It in the applications finder folder.

I'll try a reinstall. If that doesn't fix the icon problem, I'll try to fix them manually.

As an interesting side note: there were a ton of very large files in ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote that had absolutely nothing to do with Evernote. It will be interesting to see if anything else breaks.

By the way, those com.evernote directories are no longer around after the reinstall.

Another side note: reinstalling did not fix the icon problem. I'll probably let it slide until the official Mac App Store release.

Final, final side note: chossing "show in finder" from the dock icon popup menu seems to have fixed the dock icon. Still messed up in the see-through window, though.

You might find my post here helpful for your re-install.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494

Some time back (can't remember the version) I find out that the installation of a new version of Evernote created a completely new Evernote folder in \Applications, and the new Evernote App icon was labelled "Evernote (221382) (300201)". I also found out that the Evernote icon (really a shortcut) on the dock didn't refer to the new version and did not start it. I you look inside \Applications directory and see two different Evernote folder icons, you may be having the same problem.

I'm on Evernote 5.05, and I have an app icon labelled "Evenote (221382)" still sitting in my Applications folder because I'm afraid to mess with it, although it appearance got changed by the installation procedure to looks completely different. The icon for my current installation is labelled "Evernote (221382) (300201)" The app icons used to be labelled simply "Evernote".

In you case, you may try to drag the non-working Evernote shortcut off your dock (and see it evaporate), then drag the Evernote app icon from the new installation directory down. I generally remove the old app shortcut on my dock before I do a new install, then drag the new app shortcut to the dock. 

Hope this help.

Archived