(Archived) BUG: Search not finding intitle keyword

llbean

Idea

So I have two notes, both with the word "eating" in the title.

One never comes up when I search, one always. Here are the ways I've tried to search:

intitle:eating

eating

intitle:"eating"

The only time I get a hit is when I do some version of ea* - add anything from the "t" on and it is like the note doesn't exist.

Can anyone explain this or tell me what other causes I should be looking for.

Thanks

LL

Using 3.1 for Mac

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

So I have two notes, both with the word "eating" in the title.

One never comes up when I search, one always. Here are the ways I've tried to search:

intitle:eating

eating

intitle:"eating"

The only time I get a hit is when I do some version of ea* - add anything from the "t" on and it is like the note doesn't exist.

Can anyone explain this or tell me what other causes I should be looking for.

Thanks

LL

Using 3.1 for Mac

hi. according to the rules, you ought to only get a hit for eating when you put in the entire word. and, if you want a hit for similar words, you use the wildcard (*). so, eat* will return eats and eating. but, as we have all found out through trial and error, the rules have changed. the applications seem to be sticking a wildcard (hidden everywhere but on android?) onto the end of every search.

so, e, ea, eat, eati, eatin, and eating all should return results that contain those two notes (and many more, of course, for the first few). it appears that the intitle advance search grammar (and probably others) does not get the automatic wildcard (no one knows why) so it is still an exact search.

ok, with all of that out of the way, could you tell us more about the notes? i made two notes with eating in the title and body. both appear when i search for eating.

Here are the note titles of both notes:

120519 eating Easy Beef Stroganoff

and

120519 eating Very Veggie Soup Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

One is a web clipping, the other just text. Both created and updated around the same time. The second one has a tag associated with it. Both in the same notebook.

So the intent is simply to show all notes with the keyword "eating" in them.

Again, intitle:eating only shows the later. Even intitle:eat* only shows the later. Even just searching eating or eating*, still only one.

Only way I can get both is either ea* or intitle:ea*, which is way too broad in its results.

Thanks-

LL

Here is something weird, so I appended the note title of the first with the second so it read:

120519 eating Easy Beef Stroganoff 120519 eating Very Veggie Soup Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

Did a search for intitle:eating and it works this time. I then remve the append so it reads just the original title (which I didn't alter). Redo the intitle:eating search, and now it works. So now I can't reproduce the bug.

It seems like sometimes some of the notes/data/metadata gets stuck and not reindexed properly. I've seen notes which said they belong to a different notebook in which they were acutally a part of before and until I moved them back and forth, then they would update properly.

Very annoying and unpredictable.

LL

It seems like sometimes some of the notes/data/metadata gets stuck and not reindexed properly. I've seen notes which said they belong to a different notebook in which they were acutally a part of before and until I moved them back and forth, then they would update properly.

Very annoying and unpredictable.

Yes, that has been happening on the Mac client. I agree: It is annoying and unpredictable.

• Level 5*

What you're describing could be related to this or this. I'd recommend a support ticket.

i second this.

but, it is the weekend, so you'll have to wait a while. i am going to test my account with houdahspot (uses indexing done by osx) and evernote to see how various searches work in my account.

Archived