HELP: Evernote won't sync

krisSA

Idea

29 replies to this idea

Quick update - EV "reverted back" to week ago version of a few keynote and excel files I was working with. Luckily I was able to recover these versions of the files via the file menu of each program, and opening recent versions of the docs.

The issue which caused EV to behave this way is unusual - I tried to close EV the past few days and it would warn me that files were open elsewhere, but I didn't have Keynote/Excel open, and I had definitely saved the most recent versions. If it helps, my workflow was to open the Keynote/Excel directly from the EV note, make changes, hit save, then close. I know it saved because when I closed the note, the "updated" column updated to the current time, indicating the file had changed.

Summary - EV saved a week ago version of files, even though I made changes the past few days. The past few days cooresponding to this I would get a dialogue box from EV warning me that the file was open somewhere else, but I could not locate this.

I realize this is probably something I did, but if I could figure out what caused this, I can be sure to not let this happen.

Hi,

I have IMac pro running X 10.9.3 and have installed Evernote but it won't sync. Suggests that could be network connection or server maintenance. Have checked, is neither, as I can reach and sync Evernote from other devices and dropbox is happily synching as  I write.

Please resolve.  :)

regards,

Ian

Thanks to this forum, I was able to solve my problem with Evernote failing to sync.

As someone previous called out, click Help->Activity Log, and browse the log for any error messages.

In my case, the note named 'Meeting NOTES' was either corrupt, or failing to sync. This threw an exception, and apparently prevented further sync'ing.

My Activity log:

Version: Evernote Mac 3.3.1 (300245)

Locale: en-US

2012-09-19 10:57:20 [ENSyncEngine] ERROR: exception updating note 'Meeting NOTES'.......

2012-09-19 10:57:20 [ENSyncEngine] ERROR: Sync exception: EDAMUserException(errorCode:5,parameter:"Data.body")

2012-09-19 10:57:20 [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Sync complete.

2012-09-19 11:02:20 [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Contacting Evernote server...

This note happened to reside in the "Trash" folder already, so I permanently removed it / deleted it (right click->Delete Note) and therefore removed the exception.

Sync now works.

Apparently EV must bail on the first error rather than continuing to sync and notify the user of the note(s) that failed. No biggie really..I just wanted to post my solution in the event it helped others. Big Thanks to the others that posted this solution!

Here's a solution which will work for some people…

I ran into this problem whereby Evernote seemed to think I wasn't online and threw the "you're not online" message. It had been open for a number of days and at one point I lost internet connection. I think Evernote was simply unable to reconnect, because I simply quit and restarted the application at which time it immediately synced up my notes.

Sounds silly, but it worked. And that's far easier than deleting/re-installing the app.

I have done the backup, full delete, re-install and re-import all notes twice now. It "works" but I still can't figure out what's creating the problem in the first place. And now none of my notes are in the sub-notebooks that I had them in before. Very inconvenient. I am not going to have time to re-sort the thousands of notes into notebooks they were in before....

I had this issue and with the helpful clue of looking at Help -> Activity Log, I discovered the problem was with a note in a notebook someone had shared with me. So, I just deleted that notebook (terrible terminology, by the way) and the Sync issue has vanished. Now how to re-connect that shared notebook???

I have tried to use Evernote web clipper on my new iPad (which is not yet synced with a Mac desktop that has a running Evernote account) but i have not been able to sync or download the web clipper on either of my www apps. (safari and google chrome) please help, I have tried wiping my Evernote account and then reinstalling. Does it have something to do with the fact that I haven't synced my iPad yet?

Please submit a support request and attach your activity log from your Mac client so the support team can investigate this further for you. You can submit a request by selecting the link in my signature line.

@henryblyth - the moc error you are seeing was a bug that was introduced in to 3.1.0. We did resolve this in our latest beta candidate that you can download at http://evernote.s3.a...note_251394.zip

To install the beta client, please quit Evernote, drag icon to trash then install the latest beta. I can confirm that this has resolved the issue you are running into. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I've followed these instructions and still am unable to sync. I get the same unable to sync error message. Run OS X 10.7.4

Any guidance???

I get this error message: 'Evernote is unable to connect with the Evernote Service. This may be due to a network problem or service maintenance. Please try again later. If enabled, automatic synchronization will resume once the Service becomes available'. Please explain how to enable the synchronization.

I am getting this message on my OSX 10.6.8 iMac, Evernote won't sync. Hasn't for days, can't pinpoint any change in the computer when it started.

@henryblyth - the moc error you are seeing was a bug that was introduced in to 3.1.0. We did resolve this in our latest beta candidate that you can download at http://evernote.s3.a...note_251394.zip

To install the beta client, please quit Evernote, drag icon to trash then install the latest beta. I can confirm that this has resolved the issue you are running into. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks Phil, works now. I guess this means I'm no longer on the Evernote App Store release schedule. Does this Evernote beta inform me of updates and full releases?

Cheers,

Henry

@henryblyth - the moc error you are seeing was a bug that was introduced in to 3.1.0. We did resolve this in our latest beta candidate that you can download at http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/prerelease/Evernote_251394.zip

I get the same error with 3.1.0. The Activity Log has the following

2012-05-13 17:20:39 sync [ENSyncEngine] DEBUG: -[ENSyncEngine backgroundSync] -- noteStore: https://www.evernote.../s212/notestore

2012-05-13 17:20:39 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Contacting Evernote server...

2012-05-13 17:20:40 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: current update count: 0

2012-05-13 17:20:41 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Upload used from server: 310770

2012-05-13 17:20:41 main [ENAccountStore] INFO: Forcing sync of note share dates...

2012-05-13 17:20:41 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Fetching note share dates...

2012-05-13 17:20:41 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: found 0 shared notes.

2012-05-13 17:20:41 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: 0 were in local db.

2012-05-13 17:20:41 sync [ENSyncEngine] ERROR: Sync exception: moc accessed off main thread

2012-05-13 17:20:41 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Sync complete.

I am having the exact same error as Yuri Schimke: ERROR: Sync exception: moc accessed off main thread

This has been occurring since I first installed Evernote. It has never synced once. I have deleted all its files on this computer and reinstalled it countless times.

However, when viewing "Shared" notebooks, it shows me my current notebooks (which have been created online and through iOS) in a list where I can share them. So some kind of partial sync is occurring.

Cheers,

Henry Blyth

Have you opened a support ticket and/or followed the following steps?

1. Back up all Evernote data
  2. Remove Evernote entirely from your computer, including data in /Library/Application Support/Evernote
  3. Re-install

Well, no, I haven't tried this. I'm worried if I delete EV, then delete library/ files, when I open a fresh install, won't it sync up an empty EV account, thus erasing everything? Or will it sync *down* from the server into my Mac client?

First, if you have your files backed up elsewhere, if that were to happen somehow, I'm sure support could talk you through how to get your good files uploaded to your account. Second, I don't think your fear is what happens—at least it hasn't happened for me. I've had to wipe clean my computer of Evernote a couple times, and each time my /Library/Application Support/Evernote folder has been empty or hasn't existed, it has synced my data down from the servers. (In case it isn't obvious, make sure to put your backup of Evernote somewhere outside /Library/Application Support/Evernote, maybe even outside Library, to make sure Evernote doesn't find the files when syncing with your computer.)

Have you opened a support ticket and/or followed the following steps?

1. Back up all Evernote data
  2. Remove Evernote entirely from your computer, including data in /Library/Application Support/Evernote
  3. Re-install

Well, no, I haven't tried this. I'm worried if I delete EV, then delete library/ files, when I open a fresh install, won't it sync up an empty EV account, thus erasing everything? Or will it sync *down* from the server into my Mac client?

I figured it out.

I looked in the Activity log (Help > Activity Log ...) and saw it mentioned one note as an exception thus:

2012-05-14 21:13:53 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Syncing note: c5d3bbd5-7a0e-4032-b327-e1571557493b 'mirroring - article'

2012-05-14 21:13:53 sync [ENSyncEngine] ERROR: exception updating note 'mirroring' [guid: c5d3bbd5-7a0e-4032-b327-e1571557493b] on server

2012-05-14 21:13:53 sync [ENSyncEngine] ERROR: Sync exception: EDAMUserException(errorCode:5,parameter:"Data.body")

I loaded that note again - opened the items that were saved in it, re saved them and closed them and the sync worked after that.

I think I'd shut Evernote down while those files were open.

Hi I also get the message:

Evernote is unable to connect with the Evernote Service. This may be due to a network problem or service maintenance. Please try again later. If enabled, automatic synchronization will resume once the Service becomes available.

However it does occasionally sync, but then this message comes up every time. Also I have two Conflicting Changes Notebooks now.

Has anyone put in a ticket?

Cheers,

Walter

Same issue :

2012-05-13 19:26:36 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Fetching note share dates...
2012-05-13 19:26:36 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: found 0 shared notes.
2012-05-13 19:26:36 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: 0 were in local db.
2012-05-13 19:26:36 sync [ENSyncEngine] ERROR: Sync exception: moc accessed off main thread

My machine :

MBPro

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50b)

I get the same error with 3.1.0. The Activity Log has the following

2012-05-13 17:20:39 sync [ENSyncEngine] DEBUG: -[ENSyncEngine backgroundSync] -- noteStore: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s212/notestore

2012-05-13 17:20:39 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Contacting Evernote server...

2012-05-13 17:20:40 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: current update count: 0

2012-05-13 17:20:41 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Upload used from server: 310770

2012-05-13 17:20:41 main [ENAccountStore] INFO: Forcing sync of note share dates...

2012-05-13 17:20:41 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Fetching note share dates...

2012-05-13 17:20:41 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: found 0 shared notes.

2012-05-13 17:20:41 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: 0 were in local db.

2012-05-13 17:20:41 sync [ENSyncEngine] ERROR: Sync exception: moc accessed off main thread

2012-05-13 17:20:41 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Sync complete.

I've had a problematic internet connection for the last couple days, and it has come and gone repeatedly. (I think construction on the building next door may be to blame, but I don't know.) Each time I've been able to reconnect to the internet after an outage, Evernote has taken some time to acknowledge my connection and sync again. This has happened to me in the past, and has sometimes meant a few hours, most or all of which time I had a connection, that I haven't been able to sync.

I'm not sure if what I describe is a bug, but it's a relatively minor inconvenience, and I can't be 100 percent sure the problem is something on Evernote's end. What you two are describing sounds different, and far more substantial. I suggest you file support tickets. Over two days with an internet connection, if Evernote isn't syncing but you can do everything else you do online, it seems the problem is almost certainly something with Evernote.

I get this error message: 'Evernote is unable to connect with the Evernote Service. This may be due to a network problem or service maintenance. Please try again later. If enabled, automatic synchronization will resume once the Service becomes available'. Please explain how to enable the synchronization.

Archived