Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

My Local Notes are GONE!!!!!!!!!

local evernote

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 themaelane

themaelane

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

Ok, this morning I went to sync my Evernote and got the error: "Synchronization Failed due to unexpected behavior on the client side".

So (as I read in the forums to do) I submitted a support ticket and received a form email detailing that I need to, in essence, move my local Evernote and let the service repopulate me. It said to back up my local DBs. So I went to do this....and they're just gone. I did nothing to do this that I know of. I used them yesterday, so they were there then. I had not started to move it at all.

I'm wondering, are they in existence on the computer somewhere but EN not be able to reach them? Thanks for your help.

#2 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

Try Tools -> Options -> General -> Open Database folder.

That should open an Explorer window for your database.
The file you need to backup is the user.exb file.

In addition, if you have any local unsynced notebooks then you should export them individually to .enex (File -> Export..) before rebuilding. Just in case.
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#3 ClutterBGone

ClutterBGone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hello and welcome!! I had the same problem several days ago, and after three email from EN here is the solution that worked for me.

Dear David,
From the original log you provided there could be an issue with a linked notebook named "FAQ", this notebook was shared to your account and may be causing the sync errors.
We recommend that you unlink this notebook from your account and then try to sync again. If you still have the error message please provide us with a new full activity log.

Give this a try and I bet it will solve your problem

Regards,
David in Wichita

Using Evernote daily, it makes life uncomplicated !

#4 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

@David
You had a different error cause in your activity log. The final error probably looked like:
20:17:39 [8004] 0% EDAMNotFoundException: id="LinkedNotebook.uri" key="faq"

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)

#5 themaelane

themaelane

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

Try Tools -> Options -> General -> Open Database folder.

That should open an Explorer window for your database.
The file you need to backup is the user.exb file.

In addition, if you have any local unsynced notebooks then you should export them individually to .enex (File -> Export..) before rebuilding. Just in case.

I see this file, user.exb, but it was updated a minute ago. Does that mean the local folders are gone? I see the .bak is from a while ago as is snippets. .changes and .thumbnails are all just a minute ago...

Hello and welcome!! I had the same problem several days ago, and after three email from EN here is the solution that worked for me.

I sent them my log and didn't get a response like that. Maybe I should investigate that more. BUT I'm not going to investigate the syncing issue yet until I can see if there's any chance I can save my local folders....

Thank you both.

#6 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

The file was updated because you have Evernote Windows open.
If you can see your notes in the Windows client then the user.exb file contains all the data you need to backup.
The other ancillary files will be rebuilt as needed.

Premium User

#7 themaelane

themaelane

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

The file was updated because you have Evernote Windows open.
If you can see your notes in the Windows client then the user.exb file contains all the data you need to backup.
The other ancillary files will be rebuilt as needed.

But that's the problem. When I went in to use them today (to do the backup for the sync error), the local files were gone. They are not in my Windows client, except one really old one (the first I made I believe). Its like they lost month's of changes. And yes, I was of course, bad on doing the backup this time.

#8 themaelane

themaelane

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

OK. I'm an idiot. Somehow when I went to export the folders, and I clicked on the stack to export them (and yes, I thought I'd try to do the whole stack, and see if it worked, but also was going to do them individually), it pulled the first one (2004) out of the stack and minimized the whole stack (which has a green color and so I didn't see it.) I was so focused on seeing that lone 2004 folder.

THAT problem solved. No off to export them all and fix this sync error. I shouldn't try to do work when I'm around my refusing-to-nap-toddler.

#9 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

You only need to export Local Unsynchronized Notebooks.

If you can see the notebook with the Web client then it is a synchronized notebook.

Premium User

#10 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,146 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

I would suggest searching all your drives for ___.exb files where ___ is your Evernote user name. Be sure to confirm Explorer is searching hidden files, too. (Google that if necessary.) If you find multiple ones, there may be a chance your local notebooks are recoverable. If you only find the one that is your current EN database & the local notebooks are not showing up, then you are (as my father would say), SOL. And this is probably a good time to begin to incorporate backing up your EN database into your regular backup schedule.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#11 bobbyrss

bobbyrss

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

hello, I have several problems.

- Where do I start a new topic.

- I can not import my old files in Evernote.

Are my notes lost now?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote