Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

HOWTO: Highlight [SUPPORTED]

highlight format text evernote

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 carlston

carlston

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hi all. Apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm trying to highlight some of the text I've written in Evernote (for mac). I'm revising for exams and I find it's much better when I can highlight specific words.

So far, all I can do is change the colours of the text, but I don't really want to have bright yellow or green text, just a bright green background behind particular words.
I've noticed that if I write text in Microsoft Word, and highlight it there, I can coy/paste it in to Evernote and the highlight shows.

Is there a really simple way to do this, that I'm overlooking?
Ideally, I'd like a quick keyboard shortcut that would allow me to highlight a word I've just typed, and press (CMD & something else) to highlight it, for instance.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Carlston

I'm using Evernote for mac on a mid-2010 intel iMac

EDIT: I've just seen a request sent out for a highlight, which was responded with "we're onto it", but this was way back in 2009. Surely some progress has been made in the 3 years since the first request.

#2 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

This functionality does not currently exist - if you search the forum you will see there is lots of discussion about it.

Before you ask ( :)) Evernote don't publicise their roadmap or release dates.

#3 carlston

carlston

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

Thank you, I think I've just found the perfect solution actually.
Google Docs :)

I'm surprised it's not been incorporated already. I regard Evernote to be the best at what it does, although I understand it's not part of HTML, I would have thought these guys would be able to magic up something awesome to include highlighting.

Thanks for the quick response.

#4 nopivnick

nopivnick

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

I understand it's not part of HTML

html does support highlighting using the following markup:

<span style="background color: #FFCCFF">this text is highlighted</span>

but there's no true html editor in Evernote and because notes are stored in a database (not flat files) there's no way to edit them directly.

#5 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

As far as I know, the iOS client supports highlighting. Another option, though not as convenient as a highlighting too is the third-parrt ENML Editor: http://enml-editor.ping13.net/. This tool lets you edit the raw underlying HTML based code.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#6 Chris Burbridge

Chris Burbridge

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

It's utterly bewildering to my why they wouldn't have highlight. This is a note taking application, right?

Evernote is so clever in so many ways, I don't understand why they can't have the basic formatting options the GMail has. We're not talking rocket science here.

The other one that absolutely bewilders me is a lack of an indent feature, at least on the Mac client.

I just don't understand.

#7 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

Many things in life are puzzling, but I consider Evernote to be primarily a note storage and retrieval application more than a note taking application. That being said, note highlighting is something that a lot of folks want, and hopefully we on the non-iOS clients will get it someday.
  • DVM likes this
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#8 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,158 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

It's utterly bewildering to my why they wouldn't have highlight. This is a note taking application, right?

Evernote is so clever in so many ways, I don't understand why they can't have the basic formatting options the GMail has. We're not talking rocket science here.

The other one that absolutely bewilders me is a lack of an indent feature, at least on the Mac client.

I just don't understand.

Yes, well, many people have their version of "this should be basic to EN" feature(s). Whether it's highlighting, image rotating, image cropping, tables, blah, blah, blah. IMO, EN is pretty fantastic & there really isn't any other app that comes close. So if I have to live without some feature or two that would be helpful to me, so be it. I find it not productive to try to second guess why something I may think should be basic does not exist.

And like Jeff said, IME, EN is an information collection, organization & retrieval tool more than a "simple" note taking app.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#9 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

Thank you, I think I've just found the perfect solution actually.
Google Docs :)

I'm surprised it's not been incorporated already. I regard Evernote to be the best at what it does, although I understand it's not part of HTML, I would have thought these guys would be able to magic up something awesome to include highlighting.

Thanks for the quick response.

hi. welcome to the forums.

glad to hear you found a solution. i think evernote will likely add this feature at some time in the future. it is currently supported on the ios platform. be sure to check back :)

i consider evernote to be mainly for notetaking (notepad lacks this feature and i'd say it has been my most dependable software for notetaking over the years, and its real plaintext remains a feature i'd like to see in evernote someday).

without a convenient and offline way to view, edit, and store them, i am afraid gdocs isn't a good fit for me. great for some, and hopefully it will encourage evernote to strenghen its notetaking functions. in general, though, i see them as two considerably different applications. i hope evernote doesn't get pulled into the quagmire of word processing/spreadsheet/presentation software.

#10 nopivnick

nopivnick

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

http://enml-editor.ping13.net/. This tool lets you edit the raw underlying HTML based code.

thank you for this, @jefito.

n.

#11 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

There is a workaround that will allow you to do a kind of highlighting on the Mac if you really, really want to do it.

Select text and in the menu choose Format -> Fonts -> Do*****ent Color (the little icon on the top right). It will look just like highlighting. However, if I remember correctly, it is not actually highlighting, and platforms like the iPad will not recognize it. Of course, this is ironic, given the fact that the iPad has a highlighter :)

#12 Abs

Abs

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

Add indents to Mac Evernote - yes please! I notice that the indent function is now working in iPhone Evernote

And add to that request:

1. The pre-set formatting on the iphone (sub-section, blockquote etc). It would be great to have the same preset styles on the Mac. Not only are they handy, it would help keep things consistant with notes partly written on each. (at the moment the sub section formatting on the iphone is 20pt font, but strangely i can only select 18 or 22 on the Mac )
2. Highlighting on the Mac version similar to the iOS

Other than that - awesome product!!

#13 James H

James H

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

And this, folks, is why I currently refuse to pay for this application.

This is a *FUNDAMENTAL* part of any note taking application. I'm literally *trying* to get myself to use Evernote more, but I usually find myself reverting back to simple Google Docs because of Evernote's lack of very very very basic features.

#14 dlu

dlu

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

Features such as... ?
:rolleyes:
If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

Check out our Knowledgebase.
View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows
Check out the Getting Started Guide
Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#15 chrisbulle

chrisbulle

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

Features such as... ?
:rolleyes:

ooooh, since you ask, i would love to have a proper outliner :P

#16 Ghostman

Ghostman

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

I came to this thread by googling for new features of Evernote. I was hoping that there WERE new features, but seems I'm mistaken.

I'm trying to use Evernote since the beginning from time to time and EVERY time I fail. It seems like Evernote marketing team tells us what they want to see in the software instead of what it's really is.

Let me tell you that Evernote LACKS almost ANY basic feature that your many competitors have. The only upside of Evernote is multiplatform, but it's really not enough. Every time I try to use it (since year 2008 more or less) I FAIL, because there's nothing in Evernote for really taking notes. Evernote is now a Wordpad with syncing capabilities and basic structure handling. And nothing changes. Let me tell you which FUNDAMENTAL features I need in Evernote:
1) Highlighting (oh yes)
2) Notebook password protection (not just the text - I need a whole Notebook that is password protected and have every new note in it protected)
3) Good Table engine with resizing/moving columns, rows possibilities,
4) Tagging text inside Notebooks
5) Good drawing/painting/marking with wacom/iPad engine. Penultimate on iPad? It sucks, guys. You cannot even zoom in to what you have drawn! 7notes? It sucks even much than Penultimate. And I need drawing capabilities on Desktop!
6) Sorting notes in custom order! I want my "IMPORTANT" note to be on the top of the list!!!! What's wrong, why I can't do this?
7) If you're listening to users (I'm not sure, these requests pop up on the forums but never get embodied) I can tell you much more

These features are being widely discussed thru YEARS on Evernote and other forums and never get implemented. Instead of developing, Evernote team implements some very strange and subtle useless features.

Just take a look at OneNote how it is brilliantly made. Evernote is now light years behind OneNote (and many other competitors) in terms of text editing and organizing thoughts/texts/clips/anything.
  • DVM likes this

#17 dlu

dlu

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

I came to this thread by googling for new features of Evernote. I was hoping that there WERE new features, but seems I'm mistaken.

I'm trying to use Evernote since the beginning from time to time and EVERY time I fail. It seems like Evernote marketing team tells us what they want to see in the software instead of what it's really is.

Let me tell you that Evernote LACKS almost ANY basic feature that your many competitors have. The only upside of Evernote is multiplatform, but it's really not enough. Every time I try to use it (since year 2008 more or less) I FAIL, because there's nothing in Evernote for really taking notes. Evernote is now a Wordpad with syncing capabilities and basic structure handling. And nothing changes. Let me tell you which FUNDAMENTAL features I need in Evernote:
1) Highlighting (oh yes)
2) Notebook password protection (not just the text - I need a whole Notebook that is password protected and have every new note in it protected)
5) Good drawing/painting/marking with wacom/iPad engine. Penultimate on iPad? It sucks, guys. You cannot even zoom in to what you have drawn! 7notes? It sucks even much than Penultimate. And I need drawing capabilities on Desktop!
6) Sorting notes in custom order! I want my "IMPORTANT" note to be on the top of the list!!!! What's wrong, why I can't do this?
7) If you're listening to users (I'm not sure, these requests pop up on the forums but never get embodied) I can tell you much more

These features are being widely discussed thru YEARS on Evernote and other forums and never get implemented. Instead of developing, Evernote team implements some very strange and subtle useless features.

Just take a look at OneNote how it is brilliantly made. Evernote is now light years behind OneNote (and many other competitors) in terms of text editing and organizing thoughts/texts/clips/anything.

Thanks for posting and giving feedback. It is unfortunate that you find our recent improvements to be strange, subtle and useless. Many of them are direct responses to requests from the forum. If you have more feedback, we're happy to hear it.

Overall, most of your requests are fairly difficult to implement from either technical, design or options-overload perspective. Not that they aren't do-able or that we won't ever do them
If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

Check out our Knowledgebase.
View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows
Check out the Getting Started Guide
Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#18 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

1) Highlighting (oh yes)

So just out of interest, why don't you stick with OneNote?

#19 Ghostman

Ghostman

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for posting and giving feedback. It is unfortunate that you find our recent improvements to be strange, subtle and useless. Many of them are direct responses to requests from the forum. If you have more feedback, we're happy to hear it.

Overall, most of your requests are fairly difficult to implement from either technical, design or options-overload perspective. Not that they aren't do-able or that we won't ever do them

Sure thing! Now I see, and it's unfortunate, you won't be implementing anything in the upcoming years :( Thank you for admitting that.
That's why I'm stuck with Springpad+Notability waiting for a good client for OneNote for iPad with sync (and it's coming as I'm beta-testing it).

#20 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,158 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

1) Highlighting (oh yes)

So just out of interest, why don't you stick with OneNote?

Agree with Metrodon. I can never figure out why people who have found something that works for them but feel the need to go to another similar product & criticize them for not having the things the other app has. If you find something that works for you, great! Use it. I've always maintained EN & ON, while similar, are still very different. ON I use occasionally. EN, I use every hour I'm on the computer/iPhone/iPad. If you like chocolate, then great! But don't criticize vanilla for not being more like chocolate.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote