Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

HOWTO: Import notes from Outlook or Palm Desktop

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 jeen shah

jeen shah

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:13 AM

This is old thread but i think now i have found something which is new and very helpful for all that kindl of things http://www.outlookimport.com/ I think this site expalins better for all of the above questions?

#22 MartinR

MartinR

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:52 AM

Hello!
I already imported my palm memos into my Android cel.
But I also have lots of palm notes (drawings) in my Palm and cannot find how to import them to my cel.
I guess Evernote should be the app which will manage this kind of note because you can have handwriting notes on it.
But I don't find how to export them from my Palm to my cel.
Anyone know how to do it?
Thankyou!

#23 GaryGoddang

GaryGoddang

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

Import Palm Desktop TASKS

OK, I don't know that one can literally IMPORT the CSV file, but Palm had a useful function.
Tasks normally EXPORT to a TDA file, either Tasks or To-Do (same thing, probably because Palm upgraded their App and changed To-Do to Tasks).

Select ALL tasks, or select one Category at a time.
Right-Click.
Send-To.
MS Excel.

I only have MS Office 2000, because I'm cheap and I don't need all the excess Corp/Exchange/Outlook functions. I found Palm hung on a Switch To ... and Retry ... dialog until I opened MS Excel.  Then Palm still hung for a few minutes.

When Palm freed up and allowed me to try again, with Excel open/running, that SendTo command in Palm opened a new Excel window with all TASKS imported.
Rows and Columns had to be adjusted.

Then I did deleted the top "Title" row (Tasks or To-Do), now the top row was the correct Headers.  I changed the last column header to Categories.

Data-Sort by Categories.
I wound up deleting the Priority 1-5 column and did some resizing on the columns. Pasting into Evernote keeps the expanded "too-wide" cells as Excel creates them.
Instead of trying to save that as a CSV and import into Evernote, I only had 24 Tasks --- some of which were only valuable as Notes/Memos misplaced.  Some were no longer relevant, so I deleted the Rows.

The rest that I wanted, I simply selected the entire Row or just the first 2 or 3 cells.  Copy and then Paste into New Note in Evernote.
I placed them in Categories previously established by importing Palm Memos, and then added appropriate Tags.

Done. about 20 min.
====================

For Palm Memos, I used the online App by Maddow or Maddox that several people have mentioned and linked, but there's a WARNING.

I experienced a problem which others may not experience, depending on your config.

My default browser is Firefox, not IE.  The app that is Palm to Evernote, here's what it does.  It imports the CSV file that is exported by Memos, but runs a script that does 2 things.  Imports the Memos to this programmer guy's server (he says just trust him, he's not trying to steal info, just imports to do the conversion). He also opens a window that asks for Evernote login.  I saw his page and it was all "techy", like Sourceforge, so I trusted him.

But my problem was that this App attempted to open an upload/transfer connection via my Firefox, which immediately crashed.  When I tried to restart FF, Windows started slamming it with DEP errors (Data Protection = harmful rogue program).

When I temporarily changed my default browser to Internet Explorer (8), the import Memos to Evernote process went fine.

I couldn't get FF to open without crashing immediately.  After minor attempts to fix/reinstall, I eventually had to completely UNINSTALL Firefox, download the latest version, then install again.  I did not uninstall any of my Profiles, Extensions, Settings, Bookmarks, etc.  I did manually go through and delete old Plugins from folders in Program Files (which were probably old and moldy since early version of FF.  I went to the Registry and deleted some Mozilla Firefox keys, after exporting them for safety.  I only deleted subkeys with values that I felt could have been a problem (looked plugin related).  Of course Cache was deleted too.

Also, the first attempt to reinstall used version 23 (i think) but the final time was version 23.01.

Again, I don't know precisely.WHICH part of that hardcore removal before reinstall long trek was "the fix", and maybe the version upgrade was a factor.

CONCLUSION:  If you use that Maddow/Maddox app listed on this thread, change your default browser to IE first, because IE is "promiscuous" enough that it's willing to run that kind of script, but Firefox isn't and/or Windows wouldn't allow FF to behave with that level of "promiscuouity".

(Promiscuous is actually a technical term that refers to setting up a network card in Linux to a mode where it accepts all packets sent to anyone, instead of packets only addressed to that cards MAC, therefore acting as a "sniffer" to try to hack WIFI by snooping on other people's communications.  I borrowed that term to describe IE and it's ActiveX tendencies to "run anything".)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote