REQUEST: html view for the editor

v2belleville

It would be very usefull to be able to toggle the note editor's view from normal display to html.

Notes created from webcapture are almsot impossible to edit, or else, you get weird behaviour like overlapping text or huge spaces between paragraphs (as also discribed here)

It is quiet likely that a little clean up of the captured html (matching opening and closing tag, etc) would fix this.

If there is antoher way to fix this, I would be happy to here it !

But still, an html editor would also allow more edditing features (as requested here) and better compatibility when copy/pasting note content to blogs or other applications

• Level 5*

It would be very usefull to be able to toggle the note editor's view from normal display to html.

Notes created from webcapture are almsot impossible to edit, or else, you get weird behaviour like overlapping text or huge spaces between paragraphs (as also discribed here)

It is quiet likely that a little clean up of the captured html (matching opening and closing tag, etc) would fix this.

If there is antoher way to fix this, I would be happy to here it !

But still, an html editor would also allow more edditing features (as requested here) and better compatibility when copy/pasting note content to blogs or other applications

Hi. Good suggestion, and it is one I have thought about myself. However, I can see this getting messy when people bungle the editing, and with all of the extraneous (to my eyes) code that Evernote puts into notes, it would be easy for things to go wrong. There are currently third-party applications for those who really want to do this.

Not to put a wet towel on the idea, but if we are aiming for feature parity, I wonder if it is worth putting the money and resources into developing this in about a dozen platforms so that a small handful of people familiar with ENML can directly edit from within the app.

other app (The Brain) have it. I don't suppose evernote users are more stupid than other ... ^_^ ... people not familiar with html can just ignore it

but it is a real problem that captured notes can not be edited. for example, if I try adding a new line here

post-92120-0-92294100-1336059082_thumb.j

this is what I get

post-92120-0-14635600-1336059104_thumb.j

not to mentionned the very large right margin that I can not suppress etc ..

• Level 5*

other app (The Brain) have it. I don't suppose evernote users are more stupid than other ... ^_^ ... people not familiar with html can just ignore it

but it is a real problem that captured notes can not be edited. for example, if I try adding a new line here

post-92120-0-92294100-1336059082_thumb.j

this is what I get

post-92120-0-14635600-1336059104_thumb.j

not to mentionned the very large right margin that I can not suppress etc ..

I am not familiar with The Brain, but I only know of a few apps that attempt to maintain parity across more than just a couple of devices (Kindle and Dropbox come to mind). I don't know of any that maintain parity across as many platforms as Evernote (Web, iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, Blackberry, Palm, Windows mobile, etc.). What this means is that any new feature ought to be implemented in every single product line. As users, it would help if we could justify the tremendous time and expense that will have to go into a feature to make it work. You don't have to do this, but if you want Evernote to adopt the feature, it might help :)

As for the intellectual capabilities of users, I cannot comment on that, except to say that I used to be a professional web designer and I find ENML to be a bit of a pain. Evernote doesn't use HTML. They use their own variant. How many users are going to understand this and really use the feature to make changes in their notes? That is my question, and this is one of the reasons I have refrained from putting this feature on my wish list.

As for your problems, I think the real issue here is the formatting bugs that remain in Evernote, and the overall lack of customizability for notes. Instead of requesting direct control over the ENML, I prefer to push Evernote to fix the bugs and introduce more control in the interface. It's not as sexy or as empowering as your request, but I think it would be best for the app :)

@ GrumpyMonkey

your are mentionning ENML, do you mean EN uses a specific markup language that is not HTML ?

I agree that my real problem is the formatting issues, just thought that having control over the tags was the only way to adapt to every web cature situation, but if there is another way, I would be very happy to use it !

• Level 5*

@ GrumpyMonkey

your are mentionning ENML, do you mean EN uses a specific markup language that is not HTML ?

I agree that my real problem is the formatting issues, just thought that having control over the tags was the only way to adapt to every web cature situation, but if there is another way, I would be very happy to use it !

hi. it is an xhtml variant they call enml. here is the documentation.

http://dev.evernote.com/documentation/cloud/chapters/ENML.php

i think you would recognize most of it, so it is understandable, but editing all of it is kind of a pain (in my opinion). if you would like to go at it, here is a link to a third party developer who makes it easy to do.

http://enml-editor.ping13.net/

as for the formatting, boy oh boy would i like this to get solved. i usually don't even do anything beyond plain text and still have editing issues. they aren't keeping me up late at night, but i sure would like to put them behind me. so, that is why i keep bugging evernote staff about the bugs, and i keep pushing for the ability to customize my experience (a plain text option would be awesome). this seems (to me) like the most productive direction to go.

thanks for the input about ENML, which leads to another question ...

if I authorize a site to access my EN account, how can I delete the authorization, if I want to suppress it before the 30 days automatic expiration ?

• Level 5*

thanks for the input about ENML, which leads to another question ...

if I authorize a site to access my EN account, how can I delete the authorization, if I want to suppress it before the 30 days automatic expiration ?

great question. go to the evernote website, login, click on your username, select settings, and go to applications. if you have no applications associated with your account, then you will not see this option.

go to the evernote website, login, click on your username, select settings, and go to applications. if you have no applications associated with your account, then you will not see this option.

good to know thanks

• 1 year later...

An alternative solution: inject the mceCodeEditor event into the TinyMCE editor that Evernote uses in the web version of their app.

See http://seb.so/html-source-editor-for-evernote-web-a-bookmarklet/ for details, but the basic idea is: edit your note in the web version, click the bookmarklet and fiddle with the html. The end. And it uses stuff already built-in to Evernote, so nothing ever leaves Evernote's servers or your browser (enml-editor is fantastic but needs access to parts of your Evernote account; some may not want this!)

• 1 year later...

I agree that this is absolutely and 100% necessary. I would prefer to edit my blog posts in Evernote then upload the html, because some of the images I use are permissively embedded. 

I find it offensive when people automatically say the feature shouldn't be added simply because they're afraid of it or would not use it. The easiest solution to that is simply: DON'T USE IT THEN! It's offensive because you want to deprive those of us who have legitimate reasons for requesting it, simply because you either don't like it, or are afraid. That's like telling people they shouldn't get a dog because it may bite them, or because you don't like them. It's insanity.

I don't mean to sound flippant, but really that's just simply uncooperative, to put it mildly.

• Level 5*

I agree that this is absolutely and 100% necessary. I would prefer to edit my blog posts in Evernote then upload the html, because some of the images I use are permissively embedded. .

This use case is easily covered by just Exporting your blog posts to HTML, which you can already do in the Windows client.

• 1 month later...

I developed a user-script for Evernote HTML editing with a convenient toolbar button. It is linked in Seb's post (see above). Here's a picture of the new toolbar button:

html_button.png?1427728424

Archived