(Archived) REQUEST: Tag column

braintoniq

Idea

I just noticed that my biz partner's PC version of EN has a tagged column, that shows all of the tags associated with each of his notes.

Is that something I can turn on with the Mac version, or is it just not available yet for the Mac side.

36 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
"+1" posts may be noticed by Evernote staff, but traditionally, at least according to Dave E, they're not tallied, so that may have little effect.

While I know that jefito doesn't like the "+1" posts, I don't see any harm, and potentially some benefit.

I tend to think that posts containing only "+1" or "bump" as weak ("Is that *all* you have to say about the topic?"); they don't do much for me but add noise. And it's not just me: http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=17008&p=83247&hilit=bump#p83247. To excerpt:

Empty posts that just say "bump" or "+1" make the forum less useful for other users, since the sorted lists of active topics gets gummed up with threads with no new information/ideas/etc. Trying to use the forum to vote at Evernote makes it a much less helpful place for your fellow users.

I.e. it's not that these empty posts bother us, but rather that they waste the time of everyone else.

• Level 5*

jefito and metrodon tow the party line very well as Evernote Evangelists, and are entitled to their opinion.

But that's all it is, two people's opinion.

In case you haven't noticed, "His Royal Technicalfullness" doesn't seem to hang out here any more.

If the rest of us want to add our "+1"s, I guess you two will just have to live with it, being the great burden it is, and certainly not worth all the argument against that you are giving it. It's funny, you guys argue so strongly against something, it makes me think you are afraid of the users showing their preferences, which might differ from the official Evernote position. If it really didn't matter you would just ignore it and go on.

I'm sure your flame-throwing buddy BNF will be here soon adding to the fire.

You guys feel free to argue on. This subject has already been beaten to death. I'm out to add some "+1"s to other threads. :D

• Level 5*
jefito and metrodon tow the party line very well as Evernote Evangelists, and are entitled to their opinion.

But that's all it is, two people's opinion.

It was my opinion way before I ever heard of Evernote, believe me, not that I need you to entitle me to it.

If the rest of us want to add our "+1"s, I guess you two will just have to live with it, being the great burden it is, and certainly not worth all the argument against that you are giving it. It's funny, you guys argue so strongly against something, it makes me think you are afraid of the users showing their preferences, which might differ from the official Evernote position. If it really didn't matter you would just ignore it and go on.

I'm sure your flame-throwing buddy BNF will be here soon adding to the fire.

You guys feel free to argue on. This subject has already been beaten to death. I'm out to add some "+1"s to other threads. :D

A classic response. +100.

• Level 5*

Gee, who would have thought that such a simple request of adding a Tag column for the Mac (like has been in EN Win since last year) would have evoked such a response.

So what do you say Evernote, is this a reasonable request?

• Level 5*

Tag support in mac is really poor.

I'd also like to add that the inability to select multiple notes and add a tag is surprisingly annoying, and forces me on occasion to have to turn on my windows machine just to do it. How difficult is it to give us this kind of functionality? I know things are on different timetables and may not even be implemented at all, but tag support would seem to be at the heart of the application, right?

• Level 5*
"+1" posts may be noticed by Evernote staff, but traditionally, at least according to Dave E, they're not tallied, so that may have little effect.

While I know that jefito doesn't like the "+1" posts, I don't see any harm, and potentially some benefit.

It would be impressive to some people to see over a hundred "+1"s for a feature.

I know that 100 out of millions is not much, but 100 out of the active forum members is quite a bit.

The statisticians can argue whether or not that is representative of the whole population of users.

None-the-less, it's still impressive. :D

Currently isn't available. Been requested before. I'll put a plus one behind that request.

No need for everyone to repeat your requests... ;-)

• Level 5*

Currently isn't available. Been requested before. I'll put a plus one behind that request.

Super! A dlu "plus one" must be worth at least 1,000 mere users "plus one". ;)

Seriously though, this has been requested for years (and it's been in EN Win that long).

Can you give us some understanding of why Evernote has been unwilling to provide us with this very important feature, or have you just decided that Mac users don't need it?

I know you know that Tags are one of the primary (some would say the #1) means of organizing notes in Evernote.

Without a Tags column on the List View it makes it extremely hard to review your notes for proper Tags, and, of course, you can't sort on Tags.

Even a little insight into Evernote's thinking here would be helpful.

. . . The central point remains -- the different clients evolve at different rates. Most people agree that it would be a good feature to have (maybe even the combatants); unfortunately, we got no read on how important adding a tag field to the column set is to the folks who actually would be implementing it.

With all due respect, this seems more like a design flaw or oversight on the part of the EN Mac Devs.

I can understand how a major feature like "Note Links" and "Copy Note" can take a while to get implemented across the EN clients.

But the lack of a Tag column on the Mac List view would seem to be just a case of inconsistent design.

Just my 2c.

This thread is a bit old, but the Mac client definitely has this as of version 2.10. It lives under the notebook list on the left–you may have to toggle the arrow to see the full list.

thanks for responding, sbliven.

I'm unclear as to what you're referring to, sbliven. What I was asking about was an actual column in the List view, similar to the Created, Updated, and Title columns. This "Tag" column would allow the Notes to be sorted by Tags.

I misunderstood you, braintoniq. I was referring to the drop down list of tags in the left panel. Clicking on a tag in the panel filters the main view so that only matching notes are displayed.

There's no 'tag' column in the list view (yet), although it is possible to add 'author', 'notebook', and 'source URL'.

I would love to see this feature available on the Mac version as well.

I am using Windows at home and Mac at the office. I found it very puzzling that the feature isn't available in the Mac version, since I can't imagine that sorting by tag is conceptually much different from sorting after any other fields. I am relying so heavily on this feature that I am now using Windows XP (via Parallels Desktop) on my Mac, only to have access to sorting by tags.

Other people seem to be keen on this feature too (viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23787&p=102589 , although this thread got locked for unproductive bickering).

• Level 5*
Dang. That thread did devolve into some fighting pretty quick. And it looks like this column-sort feature may not appear on the Mac side very soon.

The central point remains -- the different clients evolve at different rates. Most people agree that it would be a good feature to have (maybe even the combatants); unfortunately, we got no read on how important adding a tag field to the column set is to the folks who actually would be implementing it. *shrug* That's the way that they work -- we had no advance warning that note links were going to drop any time soon, just long-standing assurances, but now they're here. I find it's best to realize that Evernote does pay attention to feature requests, but they tend to work on their own schedule, and as users, we need to deal with the product as it exists.

• Level 5*

It would be impressive to some people to see over a hundred "+1"s for a feature.

I know that 100 out of millions is not much, but 100 out of the active forum members is quite a bit.

The statisticians can argue whether or not that is representative of the whole population of users.

None-the-less, it's still impressive. :D

Seeing as 20 +1s would be exceptional, I think you can probably suggest that it's not all that representative. Added to the fact the His Royal Technicalfullness has also said that they don't count them up, I think they are just clutter.

I feel very strongly with those Mac Users who are urging the implementation of a Tag-Column in the main view. It makes it so much easier to get an instant impression on the state and importance of notes.

It is annoying not to find the feature at home one gets used in the Web-Access in the office during the day.

Please help!

Wolfgang

Please, please, please?

I trialled Evernote on my PC and now that I've moved to Mac this is greatly missed.

The central point remains -- the different clients evolve at different rates. Most people agree that it would be a good feature to have (maybe even the combatants); unfortunately, we got no read on how important adding a tag field to the column set is to the folks who actually would be implementing it. *shrug* That's the way that they work -- we had no advance warning that note links were going to drop any time soon, just long-standing assurances, but now they're here. I find it's best to realize that Evernote does pay attention to feature requests, but they tend to work on their own schedule, and as users, we need to deal with the product as it exists.
  • Level 5*
I would love to see this feature available on the Mac version as well.

I found it very puzzling that the feature isn't available in the Mac version, since I can't imagine that sorting by tag is conceptually much different from sorting after any other fields. I am relying so heavily on this feature .

Agreed. Since Tags are the primary method for categorizing and searching for Notes I find that it is very critical to many of my Evernote workflows to see the tags in the Note List view.

Hopefully this would be just a minor fix since all we are asking for is to add another column to the Note list that comes from existing data in the database. Since this is already available in the code for the Windows app, it should be relatively simple to convert it to Mac code. (at least one would hope so :wink:)

Can you please help us out guys?

Hopefully this would be just a minor fix since all we are asking for is to add another column to the Note list that comes from existing data in the database.

I have also wished for this feature repeatedly, but as a developer I want to caution about classifying this as 'minor'. Apple's UI guidelines suggest using the blue bubbles to display tags. Thus, displaying tags is not just a matter of adding a column to the table, but would require switching the whole table over to a more complex table which can contain tag bubbles. While certainly not a major overhaul, most developers I know find this sort of UI tweek to be a bit tedious, and prefer to spend their time on more meaty features (such as Note Links in the previous release).

Given the number of responses to this thread, I'm sure that they will get around to it eventually. But it's probably not something that you fix over coffee one morning.

• Level 5*
Apple's UI guidelines suggest using the blue bubbles to display tags. Thus, displaying tags is not just a matter of adding a column to the table, but would require switching the whole table over to a more complex table which can contain tag bubbles. .

I wonder if the Apple UI is really intended for display of data in a table format?

I understand and like the display in the Note Info section, but having all of the tags in the list of notes be blue bubbles would be very distracting. I don't see any value in doing that and hope that Evernote does not use that format.

The tag list in the new Snippet view does NOT use blue bubbles.

In any case, while I am in general a fan of following standards, sometimes there is a good reason to deviate -- like it doesn't make sense for table format. If keeping things simiple and just showing the tags in a simple comma-delimited format will significantly reduce development time, then it would certainly have my vote. I would think most user would want to have this key data in a simple form sooner rather than waiting much longer for a complex form.

But, it's all just my opinion. I'm sure there are many other views.

Is this the appropriate place to add a +1 for this feature? I use Evernote on both a Mac and a Windows system. I'd really appreciate having the same columns available on the Mac as I have on the Windows system.

Thank you,

MM

• Level 5*
Is this the appropriate place to add a +1 for this feature? I use Evernote on both a Mac and a Windows system. I'd really appreciate having the same columns available on the Mac as I have on the Windows system.

"+1" posts may be noticed by Evernote staff, but traditionally, at least according to Dave E, they're not tallied, so that may have little effect, particularly if that's the only content in the post. Of course, if you have a significant new insight on why a new feature might be added, then sure, add that, but I think that this issue's pretty clear, and I think that it's probably sitting on a priority list somewhere, waiting to be implemented. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

Archived