HELP: All my local notebooks are gone after update [RESOLVED]

xnowimcoolx

Idea

So I just updated to the new evernote (beta I believe) and all my local (non-synced) files are now gone (not synced for legal reasons). I need them back. Any help would be awesome.

Obviously, if I can't get them back, this would seriously limit my use of Evernote in the future. No other word processor/note taker deletes all of my files when an error occurs.

Thanks

67 replies to this idea

Just opened up Evernote for the first time in a while and found it completely empty of all my data. I see from this thread that this is a problem for others. I'm in a little shock right now. Do I understand the thread to be saying there is no fix except waiting for support to get into the office? This was caused by an app update?

• Level 5*

Just opened up Evernote for the first time in a while and found it completely empty of all my data. I see from this thread that this is a problem for others. I'm in a little shock right now. Do I understand the thread to be saying there is no fix except waiting for support to get into the office? This was caused by an app update?

Try opening up your account on the Web client, to see whether the Evernote cloud thinks that you still have notes or not. Either way, you should open up a support request.

Hi, all of my local notes are gone even after i have regraded back to version 3.0.6 and i tried searching for my notes under /Library/Application Support/Evernote/data but thing is that under /Library/Application Support, i couldnt find the find "Evernote"... and it seems like all my local notebooks are gone. However when i search for them under spotlight it appears and when i try to open it, evernote opens up but the note does not appear. the notes were all under the extension .ennote and there seems to be no way that i can open it. HELP PLEASE!

I'd suggest opening a support ticket. Looks like your case is unusual and they'll be able to walk you through it all

Agreed. And be sure to detail all the steps you've already done in trying to fix. Nothing more frustrating than spending time trying to help someone with no success and then you find out they didn't tell you they had already restored from last week's backup (which would explain why yesterday's notes don't exist) or they reverted back to a previous version of the program.

Hi, all of my local notes are gone even after i have regraded back to version 3.0.6 and i tried searching for my notes under /Library/Application Support/Evernote/data but thing is that under /Library/Application Support, i couldnt find the find "Evernote"... and it seems like all my local notebooks are gone. However when i search for them under spotlight it appears and when i try to open it, evernote opens up but the note does not appear. the notes were all under the extension .ennote and there seems to be no way that i can open it. HELP PLEASE!

I resolved my issue!!!

I use caps in my username, but Evernote doesn't.

I log in with no caps and it worked. So, username is case sensitive but they don't let you use uppercase.

This is actually unusual as if you disallow uppercase you don't usually force case-sensitivity upon login.

At least it works now. And what's more is that I think the Evernote App kept my username so I THINK it allowed me to use Caps prior to this update.

I also just tested the Web Login and it DOES allow Mixed Case login.

Maybe this is where the login confusion is coming from?

Yes, there is a bug that doesn't allow

1. Capital letters in the username

2. Login with an email address

This bug has been fixed and we're working on getting you release publicly

I resolved my issue!!!

I use caps in my username, but Evernote doesn't.

I log in with no caps and it worked. So, username is case sensitive but they don't let you use uppercase.

This is actually unusual as if you disallow uppercase you don't usually force case-sensitivity upon login.

At least it works now. And what's more is that I think the Evernote App kept my username so I THINK it allowed me to use Caps prior to this update.

I also just tested the Web Login and it DOES allow Mixed Case login.

Maybe this is where the login confusion is coming from?

I have a similar problem after updating today... and hoping to find a solution asap!

dlu: how do a get my hands on the 3.1.2 Beta 2 version you referring to?

I found the missing content in the data folder, but I don't see a file or folder named 101370(.obsolete)

I also posted on another thread.

I can't say if I'm having the same "Migration Issue" as I can't remember when I actually updated to Evernote 3.1.0, but I was using Evernote yesterday.

Today, I can't. My login fails saying I'm using an Invalid Username or Password. However I can use those same credentials to login via the Web. Therefore they aren't invalid.

Is this part of the issue or something different?

HutcH

OK, I got this fixed thanks to the support folks. It involved going back to the old version of Evernote, replacing the "data" folder with my backed up version, and then exporting all the notes. Then, when I updated Evernote to the latest version, I imported those notes. Simple yet effective. Thank you!

• Level 5*

I'm in desperate need of help, I had just updated to the new Evernote earlier today, I have never sync my Local Notes to my account ever.

Right now, none of my recent or any other notes appears. The notes seems to be still on my computer, with spotlight search, it's there.

But when I tried to open the notes, it doesn't do anything, as in nothing shows up on evernote. This is bad, I need to fix this as soon as possible, all my important lecture notes are bascially gone right now, even though they're still on my mac.

Help!!!!!

My midterm is coming up!!!!!!!

hi. you may have already found your answer here. you could try evernote on the web. your notes should be there. are they? if they are, we can figure out a way of getting them synced with your app.

Just want to toss my hat into the ring here. I have the same problem where my local notebooks have all disappeared in the new version. I did as suggested and downgraded to 3.0.6 but it's only findings some of my notes, not all. All of my notes appear to exist on my computer, I just can't seem to get EN to recognize them. I've submitted a help ticket but just wanted it to be known that this solution did not appear to solve the problem.

I'd suggest trying 3.1.2 Beta 2. There's a fix for note migration, and it should try to re-migrate. If that doesn't work, please PM me

Just want to toss my hat into the ring here. I have the same problem where my local notebooks have all disappeared in the new version. I did as suggested and downgraded to 3.0.6 but it's only findings some of my notes, not all. All of my notes appear to exist on my computer, I just can't seem to get EN to recognize them. I've submitted a help ticket but just wanted it to be known that this solution did not appear to solve the problem.

I filed a support ticket on 5/14 (16051-100505), referring to this thread (where a log portion exists). On 5/16, I received another log request, which I supplied. No replies yet.

I don't care about a full-blown importation. I can manually grab the data from the local notes, but need a way to decrypt the encrypted portions. I read about how Evernote encrypts, and didn't want to spend the time writting something to do this. Can you provide a tool to either a) import a single note, or B) code to do the decryption? This will allow me to manually import/obtain my data.

ADD ME TO THE LIST! missing ALL my files after update. filed Ticket number (#16051-102390) 5/19. unfortunately i had never synced my evernote nor did i have a backup, it was all local --hard lesson learned. glad it's worked for some of you, but i have tried everything suggested with NO success. hoping for a fix soon ... although by the looks of things, i may not make my 1 wk deadline!

So here's what other users have done. I'd like to emphasize that I'm not giving this an official endorsement, nor have we been able to fully test with a setup like yours where there are local notebooks and no Evernote account.

With that disclaimer, here's what others have done:

- Backup everything important

- Remove Evernote from your applications folder (or other folder where it resides... in fact if remove any Evernote applications incase you have multiple)

- Go to ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data and find 101370.obsolete

- Rename 101370.obsolete to 101370

- Install 3.0.6 by going to http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/prerelease/Evernote_221382.zip

You should be running 3.0.6 with local notebooks restored

ADD ME TO THE LIST! missing ALL my files after update. filed Ticket number (#16051-102390) 5/19. unfortunately i had never synced my evernote nor did i have a backup, it was all local --hard lesson learned. glad it's worked for some of you, but i have tried everything suggested with NO success. hoping for a fix soon ... although by the looks of things, i may not make my 1 wk deadline!

I filed a support ticket on 5/14 (16051-100505), referring to this thread (where a log portion exists). On 5/16, I received another log request, which I supplied. No replies yet.

I don't care about a full-blown importation. I can manually grab the data from the local notes, but need a way to decrypt the encrypted portions. I read about how Evernote encrypts, and didn't want to spend the time writting something to do this. Can you provide a tool to either a) import a single note, or B) code to do the decryption? This will allow me to manually import/obtain my data.

My Lost Notes issue is resolved. Mac/Snowleopard: After installing the Evernote upgrade, no library to be found, but I didn't look for the filename: "My Notes.enex" -- not sure if the old version library had same extension. But I found the previous version of the APP in my trash. Was able to move it, then trash (uninstall) the new one, then open the old app, and there were my notes.

Details follow. Sorry if they're redundant by the time they go on the forum, and that they're belabored -- am not a hacker by any stretch.

I have a MacBook Pro and updated/upgraded my (free version) Evernote per recommendation for updating all software prior to installing Mountain Lion.

Panicked when the "new" Evernote opened, because I couldn't see my notes, and (after ignoring the "Register now" windows) I couldn't even find the library for Evernote, or the ".obsolete" file. (Which is probably Windows, anyway.) I'd not done any Cloud-type syncing with my old Evernote, either.* This is how I got back my local library.

1. Closed the upgraded-Evernote app.
  2. Fortunately, my trash isn't set to auto-empty. I found my old Evernote app (with a number in parentheses in the filename) in the trash. I didn't alter the filename. Sounds like most any old version of the app will do.
  3. Moved it (the old app) to My Documents.
  4. Moved the new Evernote upgrade app from Apps folder to the trash (i.e., Uninstalled it).
  5. Opened the old Evernote app from My Documents... Phew! There was my (local) library.
  6. Exported the entire library (I wish there was a, "Do you want just this one note exported, or the whole library?" prompt -- make sure you "right-click" on the library icon to export it) to a folder I'd made and labeled "Evernote Library Backups."
  7. DUPLICATED that exported file (the dupe then has a different filename), just to be sure there was a copy that wouldn't accidentally get tossed during the consequent install/uninstall.
  8. Closed Evernote.
  9. At that point, Evernote disappeared from my apps dock. (Maybe the shortcut failed due to its filename or location.) The old app was still in My Docs, and I've since moved it to my Evernote Library Backups folder.
  10. The new app was still in the trash. I moved it to the apps folder, opened it, and imported my library from my backup folder. All of my old notes were visible.
  11. I immediately exported that library, and will continue to do so on a daily basis, numbering each export filename consecutively, just to keep a couple of "recent" libraries on hand at all times.
  12. Closed the app -- reopened to test -- yes! Library intact. THEN I registered.

My LIFE is in those notes... yikes. Hope this helps someone else.

*I backed up my hard drive yesterday, so I wouldn't have lost everything. But I probably generated 25 notes just today, tracking all the Mountain Lion install tips, warnings, and local software updates. I'm glad I didn't have to go to the retrieve-backup app/library process.

• Level 5*

You may not get a response from customer support unless you are a premium or business member.  It depends on whether they recognize this as a bug, and even then, they might just collect data, and may not offer support. I don't know. See the link below for the latest information.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/65412-why-is-en-tech-support-so-bad-and-what-can-i-do-about-it/?p=296873

As I understand it, under the new self-support system, if they don't recognize this as a bug and offer support, you will have to solve this on your own, and the quickest way to do that would be to locate your notebooks in your Time Machine backup. If you don't have a backup, I would guess that the notes are gone.

I have lost all of my notebooks after an upgrade.  I cannot find a way within the program to restore a backup.  I've sent two tickets to EV regarding an issue with this and with getting my email address listed in the system corrected.  It's been a week and I still haven't received a response from EN.  Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how to possibly restore my notebooks?

OK, I got this fixed thanks to the support folks. It involved going back to the old version of Evernote, replacing the "data" folder with my backed up version, and then exporting all the notes. Then, when I updated Evernote to the latest version, I imported those notes. Simple yet effective. Thank you!

Please tell me how this was done... BTW, it was the syn from my local EN to the cloud that wiped me out.

I must be slow, that, or overly trusting. I've only just noticed in the past week that my notebooks have been rearranged, and other notebooks (with all my credit cards and banking records are gone) are missing or empty. I've got a ticket, but the advice hasn't helped. EN's been forthcoming, but now I've spent hours on this... The Apple App version of EN simply won't recognize my Time Machine backups. How can that be? Ticket #16051-168716 Thank you.

• Level 5*

I'd suggest opening a support ticket. Looks like your case is unusual and they'll be able to walk you through it all

I am a premium customer running Evernote 3.3.0 on my iMac. When I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, I no longer had access to my local notebooks. I have one wrinkle in my situation compared to the others here though; that is, my local notebooks are in an encrypted volume and I use a symbolic link to that location from library application support.

I opened up a trouble ticket about losing access to my local notebooks, and got a prompt response but not a helpful one. How can I close this trouble ticket and open another one, this time asking for someone to walk me through the process of regaining access?

Thanks.

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

Like most customer support, they seem to start out with the basic stuff and escalate the case as needed. If the response wasn't helpful, just write back and say that. I've found that customer support is very good about responding quickly, and answering questions I might have about any process.

Could you post your ticket number here and keep us updated on the progress of your case? Thanks. That will make this thread useful to others who might run into a similar problem in the future.

I am a premium customer running Evernote 3.3.0 on my iMac. When I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, I no longer had access to my local notebooks. I have one wrinkle in my situation compared to the others here though; that is, my local notebooks are in an encrypted volume and I use a symbolic link to that location from library application support.

I opened up a trouble ticket about losing access to my local notebooks, and got a prompt response but not a helpful one. How can I close this trouble ticket and open another one, this time asking for someone to walk me through the process of regaining access?

Thanks.

Eh-hem. 3 weeks. C'mon now.

Your particular case is a bit tricky, we didn't properly diagnose the issue until one of your PMs ten days ago.

At first we thought it was a standard migration error, but it turns out it, the specific reason migration fails is because you don't have an Evernote account. It's been a few years (I'm not sure how many) since we allowed people to start using the Mac client without an Evernote login. Most people since that time have created Evernote accounts and it was a basic assumption in the migration process that you'd have an Evernote account. You may need to create an Evernote account to assist in migration, but you can just keep using local notebooks and ignore your sync'd notebook(s) if you'd like.

Anyways, we should have something in an upcoming Beta to try. I'd recommend filing a support ticket so they can give you more details. I'm working with them so they can guide you through the process once we have a fix.

Ok, so I gave up and went back to my backup and is now running an old version of EN: 1.11.0 (99371)

and the root of my problem must be that this version does not sync anymore. When I press the sync button it's active for 2-3 secs and says that sync is complete, but when I check online it hasn't uploaded my latest notes.

Anything I could be doing wrong, or is my best bet to export all my notes, and upgrade, and re-import.

Will this the conflict with the notes that are online? Or is EN smart enough to sort that out? Has anyone tried something similar or have other advice?

I haven't heard from Support since june 8th (I wrote them yesterday and updated them again today).

So any advice and input from you guys is greatly appreciated

• Level 5*

As I am paranoid, I would definitely have TM or TC keeping a long record just in case.

Indeed! On my PC, my cloud backup has versioning. But more importantly, once I realize I need a backup and locate the backup file or folder, I make a copy of it (usually with the date appended) so that I know It won't get overwritten. To clarify, not the entire backup of my computer - just the files needed for the restore I'm doing. I usually even take it a step further by making TWO copies. That way, I still have a good copy in case I munge something up when doing the restore. IE restore from the wrong direction.

Yep. Two archives of all important data in two physical locations (office and home). The peace of mind is worth it.

As I am paranoid, I would definitely have TM or TC keeping a long record just in case.

Indeed! On my PC, my cloud backup has versioning. But more importantly, once I realize I need a backup and locate the backup file or folder, I make a copy of it (usually with the date appended) so that I know It won't get overwritten. To clarify, not the entire backup of my computer - just the files needed for the restore I'm doing. I usually even take it a step further by making TWO copies. That way, I still have a good copy in case I munge something up when doing the restore. IE restore from the wrong direction.

• Level 5*

Hi GrumpyMonkey.

Thanks for replying.

First off:

My Ticket # 16051-107847

1. I tried the available Beta. Found one here on the forum and was send one from support (dated to May 16th I believe 251394)

2. I suspect the problem is that my notes 3-4 weeks before updated hadn't been synced. They are not online either, but I can find them in data/content folder.

3. I never made a 'local notebooks', so they are just regular notes.

Just opened my time machine and it only goes back a week, which has now passed, but i hope I can go further back when hooked up to my external time capsule. I am hoping to be able to go back to the old version (pre update) and see if I can get that to sync probably before upgrading.

I tried everything mentioned here in this tread, and also moving the files manually and uninstalling and restarting in different combinations.

Do you have other advice or suggestions GrumpyMonk? or anyone else?

Thanks for the information. It appears that this is a migration issue of some sort, but I am not an expert on these matters, so I cannot say. If it were me, and I only had 20 notes or so, I'd just copy/paste and be done with it. Except, I would be a little bit concerned about all of the other data in my account. I have several thousand notes, so I cannot check everything. But, if you check and find that everything is fine, then I think you are good to go. As I am paranoid, I would definitely have TM or TC keeping a long record just in case.

Hi GrumpyMonkey.

Thanks for replying.

First off:

My Ticket # 16051-107847

1. I tried the available Beta. Found one here on the forum and was send one from support (dated to May 16th I believe 251394)

2. I suspect the problem is that my notes 3-4 weeks before updated hadn't been synced. They are not online either, but I can find them in data/content folder.

3. I never made a 'local notebooks', so they are just regular notes.

Just opened my time machine and it only goes back a week, which has now passed, but i hope I can go further back when hooked up to my external time capsule. I am hoping to be able to go back to the old version (pre update) and see if I can get that to sync probably before upgrading.

I tried everything mentioned here in this tread, and also moving the files manually and uninstalling and restarting in different combinations.

Do you have other advice or suggestions GrumpyMonk? or anyone else?

• Level 5*

It's been a week, and I still haven't solved this issue. I get a new (random) solution from support every 24 H, but known of them has yet solved my issue - and the stuff I have tried my self hasn't either.

As I understand it my issue is this:

After updating, EN syncs with the server, but does not import the local notes (from old version of the program) which somehow wasn't synced (20 something notes from the last 3-4 weeks).

What ever I do and even with the beta version, it still ignores the local files/content (or if I move them manually says something like "The model used to open the store is incompatible with the one used to create the store" from the activity log)...

Anyone has any suggestions, or better yet a solution!, before I try and find the older version in my backup, and restore back to that?

Appreciate any help, as I am very frustrated after a week without use or access to my notes....! Thnx

Hi bop. Welcome to the forums!

Could you post your support ticket number? That might help any employees who read this page to get involved in tackling your case if customer support cannot solve it through regular means. I am a little confused about the problem you are having, so I hesitate to provide any advice, but you have been backing up, so it sounds like you are safe. In the preferences under Check for Updates, click the checkbox for updating to beta versions when available, and then click "Check for updates." This should get you the beta. Hopefully, that does the trick. If you have time, though, could you explain your case again?

You have your regular notes in notebooks that sync, but then you have local notes of some sort that haven't been synced. Are these in "local notebooks" (ones that don't sync) or do you mean to say that you made some notes that have not yet synced? Have you checked the web client to see what is on the Evernote servers and what isn't?

It's been a week, and I still haven't solved this issue. I get a new (random) solution from support every 24 H, but known of them has yet solved my issue - and the stuff I have tried my self hasn't either.

As I understand it my issue is this:

After updating, EN syncs with the server, but does not import the local notes (from old version of the program) which somehow wasn't synced (20 something notes from the last 3-4 weeks).

What ever I do and even with the beta version, it still ignores the local files/content (or if I move them manually says something like "The model used to open the store is incompatible with the one used to create the store" from the activity log)...

Anyone has any suggestions, or better yet a solution!, before I try and find the older version in my backup, and restore back to that?

Appreciate any help, as I am very frustrated after a week without use or access to my notes....! Thnx

Fixed!!

So in /Library/Application Support/Evernote/data my folders were named on variations of "101370.obsolete".

I thought it was a tad strange but since all the folders in data were named as such I didn't know which folder to change (or in what way). When I uninstalled the beta and reinstalled 3.0.6 I was still missing my local files, but I noticed there was now a folder named "101370" (no suffix). So I deleted it and copied "101370.obsolete" over from my backup and renamed the folder "101370". Restarted Evernote - and the local files came back!!

That was scary.

Thanks for the help dlu.

Great! Glad that fixed it. Would you mind sending over the log file at ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/logs/Evernote.log

That'll help us diagnose and fix the issue

I'm in desperate need of help, I had just updated to the new Evernote earlier today, I have never sync my Local Notes to my account ever.

Right now, none of my recent or any other notes appears. The notes seems to be still on my computer, with spotlight search, it's there.

But when I tried to open the notes, it doesn't do anything, as in nothing shows up on evernote. This is bad, I need to fix this as soon as possible, all my important lecture notes are bascially gone right now, even though they're still on my mac.

Help!!!!!

My midterm is coming up!!!!!!!

I have the same problem.

1. Upgraded via the Appstore yesterday, my local notebook is gone.

2. Activity Log is empty.

3. ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data has one folder, 101370.obsolete/, which itself is empty

what can I do?

I'm happy to roll back, but don't know how to do that via the App Store.

Curiously, I don't see it in my Purchases in the App Store either; but it does show as Installed.

Let me know if you need more logs.

Thanks so much for the activity log.

This looks like a note migration error (I'm brilliant, I know). What the OP did was change 101370.obsolete back to 101370 and then run the old version of the client. I don't have an official way of fixing yet. With activity logs, we'll be trying to push out a new version that will fix itself

I have the same problem. What do I need to do to open my notes?

Version: Evernote Mac 3.1.0 (246062)

Locale: en-US

WebKit: 534.53.11

WebCore: 534.53.11

Username: (null)

Mac Model: MacBookPro8,3

CPU Type: Intel

CPU Count: 8

CPU Speed: 2.200000 GHz

RAM: 8.000000 GB

Resident: 39.7 MB

Virtual: 3.8 GB

2012-05-09 16:38:05 main [ENAppVMAccountSwitching] INFO: Found '/Users/mrc/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data/101370'

2012-05-09 16:38:05 main [ENAppVMAccountSwitching] INFO: No username stored in preferences.

2012-05-09 16:38:05 main [ENAppVMAccountSwitching] INFO: will not migrate old account data

2012-05-09 16:38:05 main [ENAppVMAccountSwitching] INFO: Moving '/Users/mrc/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data/101370'

2012-05-09 16:38:05 main [ENAppVMAccountSwitching] INFO: now '/Users/mrc/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data/101370.obsolete.1'

2012-05-09 16:38:05 conn [ENConnectivityMonitor] INFO: Checking reachability for www.evernote.com...

2012-05-09 16:38:05 cona [ENConnectivityMonitor] INFO: Checking reachability for www.evernote.com...

2012-05-09 16:38:05 conn [ENConnectivityMonitor] DEBUG: reachable

2012-05-09 16:38:05 cona [ENConnectivityMonitor] DEBUG: reachable

2012-05-09 16:38:05 conn [ENConnectivityMonitor] DEBUG: Sending connectivity notification: ENConnectivityMonitorReachableNotification

2012-05-09 16:38:05 cona [ENConnectivityMonitor] DEBUG: Sending connectivity notification: ENConnectivityMonitorReachableNotification

2012-05-09 16:38:05 main [ENAppController] DEBUG: Checking spotlight importer (mdimport)

2012-05-09 16:38:05 main [ENBootstrapProfileManager] DEBUG: -[ENBootstrapProfileManager retrieveBootstrapInfo:]: profile data already retrieved.

2012-05-09 16:38:05 main [ENBootstrapProfileManager] DEBUG: -[ENBootstrapProfileManager retrieveBootstrapInfo:]: but force is YES, so starting profile retrieval.

2012-05-09 16:38:05 gbsi [ENBootstrapProfileManager] INFO: Bootstrap url: https://www.evernote.com/edam/user

2012-05-09 16:38:05 gbsi [EDAMUserStoreClient] DEBUG: +[EDAMUserStoreClient(EDAMUserStoreClientAdditions) clientWithServerURL:] -- url: https://www.evernote.com/edam/user

2012-05-09 16:38:05 gbsi [EDAMHTTPClient] INFO: Client name: Evernote Mac/246062 (en-US); MacOS/10.7.3;

2012-05-09 16:38:06 gbsi [ENBootstrapProfileManager] DEBUG: -[ENBootstrapProfileManager performEDAMGetBootstrapInfo]: profiles received: (

"BootstrapProfile(name:\"Evernote\",settings:BootstrapSettings(serviceHost:\"www.evernote.com\",marketingUrl:\"http://www.evernote.com\",supportUrl:\"http://www.evernote.com/about/contact/support/\",accountEmailDomain:\"m.evernote.com\",enableFacebookSharing:1,enableGiftSubscriptions:1,enableSupportTickets:1,enableSharedNotebooks:1,enableSingleNoteSharing:1,enableSponsoredAccounts:1,enableTwitterSharing:1))"

I have the same issue.

I updated to the new Evernote via the Mac App Store and all my local notes have disappeared. There is a folder "101370.obsolete" which appears to contain my local items but I've not been able to restore the items as the user above has.

• Level 5*

Dlu - this is very similar to what happened to me, I'll PM you details as requested.

Mr Cool - you should be backing up your Local notebooks somewhere, if something bad does happen to your Evernote installation then you are going to be screwed.

Fixed!!

So in /Library/Application Support/Evernote/data my folders were named on variations of "101370.obsolete".

I thought it was a tad strange but since all the folders in data were named as such I didn't know which folder to change (or in what way). When I uninstalled the beta and reinstalled 3.0.6 I was still missing my local files, but I noticed there was now a folder named "101370" (no suffix). So I deleted it and copied "101370.obsolete" over from my backup and renamed the folder "101370". Restarted Evernote - and the local files came back!!

That was scary.

Thanks for the help dlu.

Did you see a notes migrating dialogue? It sounds like that step was missed. (it should've happened automatically so if it didnt happen it is our fault.

You shouldn't have needed to resync all of your notes. I hypothesize that if you uninstall 3.1.0 bra 2 and go back to a precious version everything will show up. But I haven't tested that yet, so if you do try it, please back everything up first.

I'm going to look into this more.

Also the fact that you have no activity log is really weird. it's under Help >> Activity Logs... Just to be clear

Sorry, bad communication. EN didn't post an error.

I went into Evernote and the usual update screen came on saying that there was an update, I selected install and restart. Evernote flashed for a second on the screen then disappeared and there was a 10 - 15 second wait and the login menu appeared (which was very unusual, I don't even remember the last time I had to log into Evernote). EN then started to download all my notes from the server (took about 5 minutes) and when it finished I immediately noticed my local files were missing.

I have no activities in the activity log

I checked /Library/Application Support/Evernote/data and found some them - but there are about 1000 folders to go through, and sorting through that isn't much of an option. Please say there is a way for Evernote to restore those notes that are in the folders back into EN.

Did you get an error message during migration? How long did migration take? Anything unusual happen during the upgrade?

You can try checking /Library/Application Support/Evernote/data and see if you have anything under there. You can PM me with activity logs and I'll take a look

So I just updated to the new evernote (beta I believe) and all my local (non-synced) files are now gone (not synced for legal reasons). I need them back. Any help would be awesome.

Obviously, if I can't get them back, this would seriously limit my use of Evernote in the future. No other word processor/note taker deletes all of my files when an error occurs.

Thanks

Um, well, if you got an error, you should post what the error message was & what you did. Also, as dumb of a question as this may be...do you have a recent backup? Backups are always recommended, especially if you have local notebooks.

• Level 5*

Open a support ticket - they'll talk you through restoring your local notes (they are closed on a sunday).

By the way, you should be backing up your local notes.....

still no update from Evernote on this bug? my notebooks are gone. please let us know what's happening if anything.

and yes shame on me for just now discovering that my company's backup software does not version, so I can't go back to before last week's Evernote "upgrade" to restore my notebooks. i'll need to start manually using Time Machine.

still no update from Evernote on this bug? my notebooks are gone. please let us know what's happening if anything.

also, I'm confused why the subject line describes this issue as Resolved. it is not.

You've followed the steps dlu described earlier in this conversation (the ones that fixed the problem for xnowimcoolx) and, if that didn't work, filed a support ticket?

EDIT: Also, this is a user forum that some Evernote employees comment on occasionally. To my knowledge, only one employee (gbarry, the forum moderator) has official job responsibilities to check in on the user forum. As far as I know, Geoff's job includes general customer support, but not specific technical support, so there are a lot of problems he probably can't solve. As a result, this is generally the wrong place to ask for immediate technical support—though mentioning your problems can of course be useful, since other users often offer advice, and Evernote employees do the same sometimes. Anytime you want/need a response from an Evernote employee, you should contact Support (support.evernote.com).

(This post is only meant to be a little snarky; please read accordingly.)

A few general observations:

• If your product's primary function is to collect all of the really useful data we intake on a daily basis so that we don't have to remember it, and then you cut people off from that data, that strikes me as a critical flaw in your product.
  • If you've known about such a flaw for 2 weeks and there still isn't a fix, that strikes me as a critical flaw in your response system.
  • Providing an ad-supported version of your product for people to evaluate for free == great idea.
  • Providing an update to your product that blows your users' data access away == not so great idea.
  • Not providing help to people who are evaluating your product and who have lost data access, but haven't upgraded to your "premium" product == really un-great idea. (Based on Metrodon's assertion that support will talk you through a restoration.)
  • Anyone who has lost (or lost access to) their data probably has already figured out that they should have been backing the data up. Therefore, you pointing it out to them again puts you in the category of "unhelpful in the extreme".
  • If you can't provide a hotfix update to your product that gives people access back to their data in a timely manner, let them download the previous release so that they're not twisting in the wind for weeks without their data.

Seriously, I was absolutely loving Evernote while evaluating it. But the idea that updates are not tested well enough to catch things like this, the fact that a fix still isn't available after 2 weeks, and the fact that I'm going to have to pay to upgrade so that someone will (hopefully) tell me how to access my data: these are things that make me think I need to keep looking for a robust solution to my data management knot.

Also, when things like this happen, an apology can go a long way, and an ETA on the fix can go even longer.

Thanks!

(This post is only meant to be a little snarky; please read accordingly.)

A few general observations:

• If your product's primary function is to collect all of the really useful data we intake on a daily basis so that we don't have to remember it, and then you cut people off from that data, that strikes me as a critical flaw in your product.
  • If you've known about such a flaw for 2 weeks and there still isn't a fix, that strikes me as a critical flaw in your response system.

So, like all problems that require a quick solution, there are several issues at play and untangling them is a bit complicated. There are multiple ways a user's notes fail to migrate over and I'm trying to make sure we know about as many as possible. We actually spent a good amount of time knowing there was an issue, but not knowing what caused the issue. We then found out there was more than one cause. We currently have a fix for some, but not all of the known issues. We're pushing for a fix soon.

• Providing an ad-supported version of your product for people to evaluate for free == great idea.
  • Providing an update to your product that blows your users' data access away == not so great idea.

Agreed, blowing away data is always bad

• Not providing help to people who are evaluating your product and who have lost data access, but haven't upgraded to your "premium" product == really un-great idea. (Based on Metrodon's assertion that support will talk you through a restoration.)

Ah, but you've assumed that only premium users get support! Let's be clear, everyone gets access to the same level of support. Premium users have a quicker response time, but even our free user response time is pretty good. And everyone gets access to the same support staff, there isn't some an A Team for premium users and a B team for free users.

• If you can't provide a hotfix update to your product that gives people access back to their data in a timely manner, let them download the previous release so that they're not twisting in the wind for weeks without their data.

If you've downloaded through the AppStore, the Mac AppStore doesn't let you revert back to older versions. And while some users have gone back to an older version, there is a some manual work you would need to do and digging around and renaming in Finder to restore older notes. What you need to do depends on when and how your note migration failed. The simplest case is that your note migration failed immediately and all you need to do is delete ".obsolete" from the end of a folder name and then run the 3.1.0 Beta 1 or earlier. It can be much more complicated depending on a variety of other factors, so I can't guarantee what they have done will fix your issue, so I'm not willing to say that reverting to an older version is the the way to solve this.

Seriously, I was absolutely loving Evernote while evaluating it. But the idea that updates are not tested well enough to catch things like this, the fact that a fix still isn't available after 2 weeks, and the fact that I'm going to have to pay to upgrade so that someone will (hopefully) tell me how to access my data: these are things that make me think I need to keep looking for a robust solution to my data management knot.

Also, when things like this happen, an apology can go a long way, and an ETA on the fix can go even longer.

Thanks!

I'm glad you were loving it! Sorry that you happened to start right as this bunch of shennanigans started. We're working on having an update that will fix these issues, the timeline is hard to predict because new issues keep coming up.

Just want to pop in and reiterate that dlu is working very hard to make sure all of the problems you guys are seeing get fixed, and as quickly as possible.

Anyone that is having these issues, please contact support and please do be patient as you need to follow all the steps you're given (even if you've done them before, it may be a particular order of operations we're looking for), and give them all the information they request from you, in order to ensure that we are able to not only fix your particular case but route out the underlying cause for everyone.

• Level 5*

Erm, what gives you the impression that only Premium users get support?

A couple things that helped:

Since the data is stored in a hidden file you must hit shift-command-g and enter the folder path directly.

"~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data"

Then I found "101370.obsolete" and deleted ".obsolete" and relaunched Evernote.

Whew! I also loaded an older version from my Time Machine backup.

I do love Evernote, but I don't want my sensitive information stored on the web. So now having to login and backup automatically is a major hassle.

A couple things that helped:

Since the data is stored in a hidden file you must hit shift-command-g and enter the folder path directly.

"~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data"

Then I found "101370.obsolete" and deleted ".obsolete" and relaunched Evernote.

Whew! I also loaded an older version from my Time Machine backup.

I do love Evernote, but I don't want my sensitive information stored on the web. So now having to login and backup automatically is a major hassle.

Did you relaunch with 3.1 or did you relaunch on an older version of Evernote? (Just trying to diagnose the underlying issue)

I restored version 3.0.5 from my Time Machine Backup. I didn't use 3.1 because, besides the glitch, it appeared I would have to login everytime I opened the program.

Got it. With 3.1 you would need to login just the first time, and you'd be able to stay logged in or login while offline. The next version should fix the note migration issues that people have posted here.

Same thing happened to me when I upgraded to 3.1.0 or 3.1.1, I was able to get my notes back by doing the following:

1) Removing the existing 3.1.0 or 3.1.1 Evernote installation from the /Applications directory

2) Reinstall Evernote 3.0.6

3) Rename the ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data/101370.obsolete directory to ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data/101370

4) Launch Evernote 3.0.6

I will be filing a support request too however this sort of functionality needs to be tested before a new version is pushed out (and also when reverting to an earlier working version is EXTREMELY painful)

Dan

Archived