Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

BUG: Can't open offline notes w/o Internet connection

evernote

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 E-NoteForum

E-NoteForum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

I was just on a 5-hour flight, and with my iPad in airplane mode I found that I couldn't open the majority of my notes.

When I selected them, I got this error message:

Posted Image

I'm a premium subscriber, and all of my notebooks are set to be offline. I double-checked, and they're all fully downloaded.

I can load recent notes just fine, but older notes all give me this error. I'm using 4.1.9 with an iPad 2. Standard app store install, no jailbreaking or other weirdness.

What gives? Isn't the point of offline notes that you can load them when you're ... offline?

#2 E-NoteForum

E-NoteForum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:06 AM

I tried the workaround found here: http://discussion.ev...-offline-fixed/

It worked in my first test, just toggling airplane mode, but when I got on the return flight I found that Evernote had again forgotten my offline notes.

All of my notes are set to be offline, and Evernote says that all of my notebooks are downloaded. In my iPad's General->Usage settings, though, it shows that Evernote takes up 44 megs, only 16.9 megs of which is data.

My iPhone, synced to the same account and with all notebooks similarly set to offline, shows the correct usage data: 230 megs total, with 203 taken up by notes.

What the hell, Evernote? What am I paying for?

Filing a bug, asking for a refund.

#3 E-NoteForum

E-NoteForum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

I just did a full reinstall of Evernote. I deleted Evernote from my iPad through iTunes, then deleted Evernote from my computer.

I synced my iPad again to make sure the app was gone. I then rebooted my iPad and synced again.

Then I went to the App Store, re-downloaded the Evernote app and reinstalled it on my iPad.

When I opened the app, it went to the new account page but said it detected my account and asked if I wanted to use that account. How did it know about my account, if I'd deleted the app from iTunes and rebooted my iPad?

Anyway, I logged in using my account and the app was in a fresh state. There was no passcode set (I had previously had one set), and none of my notes were downloaded at first. The app downloaded them all, but I checked the settings and none of my notebooks were set to offline.

So far, consistent with a fresh install (other than the app detecting my account).

I hit the 'All Offline' button and it downloaded all of my notebooks.

I went into General->Usage, and the app reported taking up 215/188, which is 15 megs less than my iPhone with identical settings.

I turned on airplane mode and started going through my notes. I selected them at random, and the ones I checked appeared to work correctly.

So it appears that a complete reinstall and sync fixes the issue (though the 15-meg difference is curious, as is the app detecting the fact that I have an account).

Is the app using some sort of hardware identification to link accounts to devices? The UDID maybe? If so, that seems like a major security concern. Hopefully it's just using the secure Apple keychain, which would at least prevent logins after a full device wipe.

#4 E-NoteForum

E-NoteForum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

This just happened again. No idea why.

Fix this, Evernote.

#5 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

Your ID is coming from your keychain.

Have you opened a support case for the offline issue?

#6 E-NoteForum

E-NoteForum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

Yep. They have no fix, workaround or advice, but they requested a log, which I sent them.

I'm not holding my breath.

For anyone experiencing this issue, just make sure to check the actual space taken up by Evernote in General->Usage, because the app itself is flat-out wrong and will say that all of your notebooks are successfully downloaded when literally none of them are.

#7 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,219 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

I've tried this out a lot on my iPhone (airplane mode) and I am not having any problem viewing notes offline. Same thing with my iPad. I wonder what in the world could be causing this issue.

#8 E-NoteForum

E-NoteForum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

Yep, same here. I can't figure it out. It only happens on my iPad, though I use my iPhone and my iPad equally. Of course, I don't do nearly as much editing on my iPhone, but still.

Crazy that it happened again after a full clean uninstall/reinstall.

I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but I've never had this problem with Instapaper, which is the only other app I have that caches a significant amount of offline data. I realize that they're different apps and that this doesn't mean much, but it points lightly to something Evernote-specific, as opposed to some sort of iOS bug that incorrectly clears cached data on backups/reboots/etc.

#9 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,219 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

Yep, same here. I can't figure it out. It only happens on my iPad, though I use my iPhone and my iPad equally. Of course, I don't do nearly as much editing on my iPhone, but still.

Crazy that it happened again after a full clean uninstall/reinstall.

I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but I've never had this problem with Instapaper, which is the only other app I have that caches a significant amount of offline data. I realize that they're different apps and that this doesn't mean much, but it points lightly to something Evernote-specific, as opposed to some sort of iOS bug that incorrectly clears cached data on backups/reboots/etc.

i can confidently say i have never had such a problem with other apps. in fact, i can't think of any that have a special "offline" designation for stuff. it just gets saved, and it always just works. i haven't had any problems for about a year now with notes saving and being accessible, so from my perspective, evernote is rock solid. but, obviously that is not the case with everyone. so, not only is it evernote specific, but it seems to have something to do with factors existing on some devices and not on others. assuming the sandboxing is working, and other apps aren't interfering, then we are looking at evernote notebooks, tags, notes, or some other thing inside their accounts causing the issues. just hypothesizing here. perhaps if everyone shares basic statistics (how many notes, how large their notebooks are, device usage (wireless vs. wifi), etc.) then we can identify some commonalities.

#10 Vincent Wong

Vincent Wong

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:35 AM

Same here. I would need to delete, reinstall and redownload everything every 2 months or so cos everything just disappears. I've got around 1GB spread across 8 notebooks. I access mostly wirelessly.

#11 E-NoteForum

E-NoteForum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

Submit a ticket and ask for a refund.

#12 E-NoteForum

E-NoteForum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

I got a response from support. Its the exact same useless, anonymous copy/paste I've gotten on many other bugs.

Thank you for providing a new log. We have updated the bug on file with the engineering team with the log you provided. Unfortunately this is not something I can fix for you at this time. Please let us know if you have any questions.

So if you're also experiencing this bug, don't hold your breath for a fix.

#13 nova47

nova47

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:49 AM

This has occurred twice on my iPad and once on my iPhone, the last time was October 2011. Each time was immediately after a new version and all three times my posted workaround resolved the problem. So while I had to download all the notes again, I haven't yet had to delete the app first. It's a hassle for sure, but it's the unreliability that's most disturbing, and I find myself still checking the availability of offline notes frequently, not just after version upgrades anymore.

I can load recent notes just fine, but older notes all give me this error.

When this happens the notes really aren't downloaded initially as they should be, only the headers are. As you view an unsuspecting note it's downloaded and becomes available off line, so as you go through your notes you are rebuilding them for offline use all without knowing there's a problem. Any note you haven't accessed before you are away from an internet connection will throw up on itself and display the error message.

When you get good at watching for this problem you can tell even without placing the device in airplane mode. While connected to the internet just access an old note from an off line notebook. If you see the download spinner spin you know your offline notes haven't been downloaded and it's time for the workaround and a few choice words.
5.0.4 - OSX 10.8 / 5.1.0 - iOS 6 / 4.6 - XP & Vista (when forced) / premium

#14 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:05 AM

So this bug has been known to Evernote since Aug 2011, and it is still not fixed. :(

Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed from "HELP:" to "BUG:"?

#15 Driller

Driller

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

I'm having this same problem and it's really frustrating. Here's a workaround that seems to be working for me. I have about twenty notebooks with multiple notes in each. In some of my notebooks I have some notes where the header is not showing up. If I select that note and let it load, usually the other "blank header" notes will also download. By periodically opening each of my notebooks and selecting an older note, it seems to keep my notes synced offline. It's a pain, but it seems to work.

#16 Anubha

Anubha

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

I dont know what in particular is causing this issue, but undeniably, this is a bug. No workaroun -, nothing seems to fix this problem. No matter how many times you try the suggested solutions by the support team, you will end up at square one. I have followed the same process E-NoteForum has posted here numerous times. Even after deleting the app my account was detected which can attributed to keychains.

But then from deleting cache, to removing the app, then re-installing it once, from the app store and again via itunes, to repeating the whole process literally 'n' number of times hasn't yet fixed the issue till date!

Now, this bug is reported across several evernote forums I believe and yet, when I hear from the support team or one of the members that "there is not a single other report of this problem & it might be "just" an issue local to your device" - then nothing to me seems more stranger! However, I am not denying the possibility. But funny thing is whatever the case, this must be looked into.

C'mon, how many other reports of this issue does one need for them to finally, troubleshoot this?

Talking of my stats, I have about 1.8 GB of data across three notebooks and I access the app mostly wirelessly. My 1st notebook has 112 notes. The 2nd has 2097 notes and the third has 1688 notes - as of today!

What next? I'm so fed up of seeing this issue come up over and over again!

#17 Anubha

Anubha

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Also, another funny thing happened today. Now even though I had all three of my notebooks synced, but for the routine sync, I happened to press the Sync button and thereafter, hit the "offline notebooks" just to see the progress of the synchronization of my notebooks on my device. Only to find to my utter amazement, that instead of the sync progess going up, it went down, down , down and all notebooks has to be re-dwonloaded again!

Here's what I mean! Let's call my 3rd notebook "Mailbox". So first its sync progress read - "497 MB OF 1.32 GB." Then a second later, the progress went down to - "488 MB of 1.32 GB" and all the way back to 10 MB. Then ultimately, I switched off that offline notebook. Reset it to online and back again to offline for it to start syncing in a normal fashion.

And painfully, as it were, this happened for all of my 3 notebooks. Reverse sync and then having to re-download them all again!!!!

Seriously, what is that now? As if, the bug alone wasn't sufficient to cause all the annoyance already!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Anubha

Anubha

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

So, already, the notes arn't available offline, even when offline notebooks are synced.
To top that, now trying to sync them shows this bizzare re-sync behaviour! (Refer the post above)

Then, when I check the sync progress, another strange thing I noticed after the "sync" for offline notebooks was finally complete, was that it showed "612.14 MB of 612.18 MB" ? If it is complete, it should show 612.18 MB of 612.18 MB, right?

Maybe, it might be a minor glitch pertaining to my device, but since it related to the given issue, I thought it might be useful to mention, atleast for the record. Could point towards something for those troubleshooting the issue.

Posted Image

Also, I was wondering, could this bug have something to do with forwarded mails coming to the user's evernote account, say from Gmail or some external mail-service? Just a thought....

#19 Anubha

Anubha

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

This has occurred twice on my iPad and once on my iPhone, the last time was October 2011. Each time was immediately after a new version and all three times my posted workaround resolved the problem. So while I had to download all the notes again, I haven't yet had to delete the app first. It's a hassle for sure, but it's the unreliability that's most disturbing, and I find myself still checking the availability of offline notes frequently, not just after version upgrades anymore.

I can load recent notes just fine, but older notes all give me this error.

When this happens the notes really aren't downloaded initially as they should be, only the headers are. As you view an unsuspecting note it's downloaded and becomes available off line, so as you go through your notes you are rebuilding them for offline use all without knowing there's a problem. Any note you haven't accessed before you are away from an internet connection will throw up on itself and display the error message.

When you get good at watching for this problem you can tell even without placing the device in airplane mode. While connected to the internet just access an old note from an off line notebook. If you see the download spinner spin you know your offline notes haven't been downloaded and it's time for the workaround and a few choice words.

Then I guess, the download spinner keeps rotating for me almost all the time. The only problem, no workaround seems to really work!

#20 Anubha

Anubha

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

I tried the workaround found here: http://discussion.ev...-offline-fixed/

It worked in my first test, just toggling airplane mode, but when I got on the return flight I found that Evernote had again forgotten my offline notes.

All of my notes are set to be offline, and Evernote says that all of my notebooks are downloaded. In my iPad's General->Usage settings, though, it shows that Evernote takes up 44 megs, only 16.9 megs of which is data.

My iPhone, synced to the same account and with all notebooks similarly set to offline, shows the correct usage data: 230 megs total, with 203 taken up by notes.

What the *****, Evernote? What am I paying for?

Filing a bug, asking for a refund.

I am next up for the refund then! Did they refund you for the unused portion of your Evernote subscription or your full amount? Prior to the refund, had you opted for monthly premium subscription or the annual one?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ios, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote