(Archived) Evernote for Mac 3.1.0 Beta 2

dlu

Idea

Hello all!

We have a 3.1.0 Beta 2 ready with two big things. There's increased stability from Beta 1 and we're very excited to announce the ability to switch between accounts!

You can now logout of an account switch to a different account. We've spent a lot of time trying to implement this, please let us know how it works for you. We have a few known issues, but wanted to get feedback from the beta users and believe there are overall stability improvements from Beta 1

Issues about renaming a shared notebook and crashes when editing multiple notes in single-note windows we think are mostly resolved, but please PM me with activity logs if you experience any of these crashes.

We've seen intermittent issues with Snow Leopard when signing in and out quickly between the same account. Also PM me if you experience any issues.

thanks!

If you've opted into the Betas, you can go to Help >> Check for Updates

If you're not auto-updating, you can get the beta here: http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/prerelease/Evernote_245270.zip

53 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Seeing this too - this Beta is going well :)

lol. an ironic smile :)

well, i like what they have done with switching users. not a big deal for me, but it is for other users, so it is going to make the platform more popular. the app looks very nice visually, and a lot of things are going right. so, overall, i am pleased. assuming, of course, that they fix this shared notebooks thing (this is pretty painful).

but, speaking about the app more generally, i find myself working more and more on the windows version. it is just better (sorry mac staff). if i want to know how my search is being filtered, it is right there (used to be on the mac). if i want to sort my notes in a bewildering variety of ways without messing around with advanced search grammar, it is all there (a little more difficult on the mac). if i want to know what my saved search is doing, it is all there (used to be on the mac). if i need a font, they are all there (mac is limited to a tiny portion of odd ones). formatting seems fine (mac is buggy, but my opinion of windows formatting may be a result of not using it so much). i am sure i could continue listing stuff.

yes, the mac version is also better in some respects, but i am surprised at how much easier it is to just do stuff on the windows version. sorry about the whining here. really, the mac version looks nice. but, there are some fundamental disagreements that i have about how information is presented (or not) and the capabilities we have (or don't have) to write and edit notes (my main work). maybe more experience with the windows platform will curb my enthusiasm...

i guess my first question about this beta would be to ask why i am still having formatting issues.

but, speaking about the app more generally, i find myself working more and more on the windows version.

Jeez, how many devices do you have (and use regularly), GrumpyMonkey?

it is just better (sorry mac staff). if i want to know how my search is being filtered, it is right there (used to be on the mac). if i want to sort my notes in a bewildering variety of ways without messing around with advanced search grammar, it is all there (a little more difficult on the mac). if i want to know what my saved search is doing, it is all there (used to be on the mac). if i need a font, they are all there (mac is limited to a tiny portion of odd ones). formatting seems fine (mac is buggy, but my opinion of windows formatting may be a result of not using it so much). i am sure i could continue listing stuff.

I just sold my netbook (it was a piece of *****), so I don't have the option of using Windows anymore. But I've been using the web in the last week (before and after the beta release) for my searches that I actually need to get right (anything besides a sort of general interest, "What were my most recent notes on X" search). Like a few other users, my search problems are becoming more and more serious, and are truly crippling, since almost every search on Mac fails to find notes and fails to display them correctly. All those problems have kept happening with the beta 2.

• Level 5*

i have too many devices, but they just accumulate over time!

my priorities are search (heavy reliance on note filtering), formatting (plain text please, but if not, at least allow me to backspace), and proper syncs (we seem to have lost shared ones in this beta).

the search thing was brought home to me when i did some testing for evernote and ended up using the web app. i found out that the search there is just a lot easier to use, like mac used to be. so, since then i have been using the web more, even though i find the limitations of the platform overall to be frustrating. no formatting problems so far there either.

i am not tryin to dump on the mac team here. there is a lot of good stuff in the app. but, for my needs, it is falling short. i don't think it is because i am that ***** creature termed a power user. i suspect other users, especially if they work on different platforms, share my concerns.

i should note that i consider myself a minimalist: no tags, few notebooks, and primarily plain text. i ought to be the user that is easiest to please...

i am not tryin to dump on the mac team here. there is a lot of good stuff in the app. but, for my needs, it is falling short. i don't think it is because i am that ***** creature termed a power user. i suspect other users, especially if they work on different platforms, share my concerns.

I agree. The Mac client is by far the most visually appealing client I've used, and it blows the web client out of the water as a tool to be productive, because of its ease of editing notes (also very important for me), ease of switching between notes, and thanks to other features, such as inline display of PDFs—not to mention the other limitations of the web client that GrumpyMonkey mentioned.

All of that is why the search problems are so frustrating for me. The Mac client is better than the web client in almost every way, so I'd never be tempted to use the web client when I'm at my own computer. But if I can't trust the search—and currently I can't, since it's wrong more than it's right—I have to keep the web client open in my browser, remember to do all my searches there, and either switch back and forth between the two clients or use the web client exclusively and sacrifice the other, better features of the Mac client.

I'm not trying to dump on the Mac team either, just sharing that I can't use their product for my most important Evernote activity right now. I hope that changes soon!

Saw this in another thread too. Are you on Snow Leopard or Lion? Does this happen if you're using a small or empty account? I'll try to schedule time to take a look at this

I'm using Lion in a relatively small account. The graphics processor comes on immediately, it's totally independent of EN activity (editing, syncing etc.). EN starts, graphics processor is on until I quit EN.

Saw this in another thread too. Are you on Snow Leopard or Lion? Does this happen if you're using a small or empty account? I'll try to schedule time to take a look at this

I'm using Lion in a relatively small account. The graphics processor comes on immediately, it's totally independent of EN activity (editing, syncing etc.). EN starts, graphics processor is on until I quit EN.

K, on my list. :)

• Level 5*

Macbook Pro / 2.3 GHz i5 / 8GB / 10.7.3

(1) Multiple Accounts

- It worked flawlessly. Good job responding to customer demand!

(2) Sharing a Notebook

- It got hung up for several minutes and I had to cancel it. I think maybe I hadn't synced some changes and that was causing trouble. Canceling and restarting the process solved the problem.

(3) Failure to Sync Shared Notebooks

- I have several shared notebooks that read 0, when they ought to be full of notes. On the web the notes appear in the linked notebooks. On my iPad they appear too. Restarting the app did not solve the problem.

(4) Note Count Incorrect

- All Notes = 6623. My only notebook, PRIVATE = 6740. Everything is synced. I even emptied the trash (first time this year?). iPad says I have 6623.

- I have several shared notebooks that read 0, when they ought to be full of notes. On the web the notes appear in the linked notebooks. On my iPad they appear too. Restarting the app did not solve the problem.

I have this problem too. I tried to sync GM's shared notebook and it shows up in the Shared Notebooks pane but reports 0 notes. Same result with Evernote's example notebooks.

Also on 10.7.3.

• Level 5*

Any word on shared notebooks (ones we have joined)? They don't seem to have synced since I downloaded the beta. Deleting and joining doesn't solve the problem.

I've tried this a few times and I can't get it to happen. I'll see if our official QA team has any more luck than me just mucking around

the shared notebooks are broken in the beta i downloaded.

i've tried new ones, old ones, and even created test ones to join. no luck. give an evernote shared notebook a try and see if you get anything.

https://www.evernote.com/pub/evernoteshared/ronsevernotetips/

or, here is another one that is non-evernote.

https://www.evernote.com/pub/jhswm/jhsxswm

• Level 5*

Me too, for two notebooks GrumpyMonkey has shared (his personal website and his "Uses and Abuses of Evernote" notebook).

i killed the uses and abuses notebook, because no one contributed, and i plan to fold it into my regular public folder as a section on evernote.

• Level 5*

(1) Multiple Accounts

(2) Sharing a Notebook

- It got hung up for several minutes and I had to cancel it. I think maybe I hadn't synced some changes and that was causing trouble. Canceling and restarting the process solved the problem.

(4) Note Count Incorrect

- All Notes = 6623. My only notebook, PRIVATE = 6740. Everything is synced. I even emptied the trash (first time this year?). iPad says I have 6623.

(5) Note Content Missing

- Notes are there, content is missing. The snippet shows content, but not in the note itself. No amount of syncing or restarting seems to solve the problem.

Me too, for two notebooks GrumpyMonkey has shared (his personal website and his "Uses and Abuses of Evernote" notebook).

i killed the uses and abuses notebook, because no one contributed, and i plan to fold it into my regular public folder as a section on evernote.

I posted this before you deleted it, when the notes appeared in my account online. The point is they never appeared in my Mac account, even when the notebook existed.

Could you guys send me activity lgs if you haven't? Ideally right after upgrade for anyone who is just now upgrading.

We're trying to isolate te issue of account migration after upgrade

• Level 5*

(1) Multiple Accounts

(2) Sharing a Notebook

(4) Note Count Incorrect

(5) Note Content Missing

- Notes are there, content is missing. The snippet shows content, but not in the note itself. No amount of syncing or restarting seems to solve the problem.

(6) Saved Searches Missing

- Looks like my saved searches are gone :( I use the plural there, but I think I only had one.

[EDIT: Weird. It looks like closing and opening the Saved Searches section re-animated it.

Copying notes to a shared note is having issues. Note with attached pdf copied to shared notebook. Attachment appears with size 0 bytes in shared notebook.

Please fix asap as this almost caused me to loose data as the only way to get imported files to a shared notebook is to copy then delete. Fortunately I did not empty my trash before I found the issue and was able to restore the notes and then use an older version to do the copy.

• Level 5*

(1) Multiple Accounts

(2) Sharing a Notebook

(4) Note Count Incorrect

(5) Note Content Missing

(6) Saved Searches Missing

- Looks like my saved searches are gone :( I use the plural there, but I think I only had one.

[EDIT: Weird. It looks like closing and opening the Saved Searches section re-animated it.

(7) Ghost Notes

- Deleting notes or moving them from one notebook to another fails on the last note. The notebook or trash will read 0, but there will be one more note left in there. The note appears to actually be somewhere else, as indicated by the location in the note header, but it continues to have a Fringe-like existence in the original location.

As far as the account switcher unless I am not using it correctly it would be nice to not have to type in the other username and password each time.

It should operate just like Evernote Account Switcher where you can select which account you want to switch to and then give us the choice if we want to cache the password or not. My computers are secured with user login so I have no issue saving the password to make my life easier.

just upgraded to the beta and when I try to add a new note I get a message that I have exceeded my maximum upload and should upgrade to premium...however I do not sync any of my files (use it for work and this isn't allowed)...this is the first time that I have seen this message.

Any ideas/suggestions?

I believe that if any Evernote client sees that you have hit your limit of uploads to synced notebooks it will prevent you from adding more data. When you say you "do not sync any of [your] files," do you mean that you only use local notebooks? If that's the case, I'm not sure why you got the message, since you should be able to upload an unlimited amount of data to local notebooks.

I don't know what has changed at Evernote, but lately it's going in a good direction, especially with the fulfilment of the "multiple accounts" demand and excellent participation of staff members such as dlu.

Gone is the out-of-context Steve-Job-attitudes such as "you shouldn't be using your Evernote this way" or "Evernote is designed for individuals not businesses" a while ago several Evernote "evangelists" were hammering on the people who requested this feature.

Evernote, you have my confidence back, and now I can start recommending to others again, even gifting them a couple of premium memberships!

Hi dlu,

I just tried the account switching feature. Other than scratching my head for a second and then realizing you said "You can now logout of an account" and the accompanying AHA moment, it works great for me. I have my personal account and one I keep for our sound ministry at the church so this is a very nice feature indeed. It certainly beats shutting down the program to switch!

I did a little "try to break it" testing and the only thing I notice is if on Acct #1 you have "stay logged in" checked and then sign out to switch, that is not maintained for #1. That is probably on purpose but I kinda expected to tell it to stay logged in to #1 and then if I go to #2 and then back to #1 it would remember I wanted to stay logged in to acct #1. Just a thought... certainly not anything broken.

Thanks for working so hard to come out with a new release so quickly. The stability will be much appreciated.

Hi dlu,

I just tried the account switching feature. Other than scratching my head for a second and then realizing you said "You can now logout of an account" and the accompanying AHA moment, it works great for me. I have my personal account and one I keep for our sound ministry at the church so this is a very nice feature indeed. It certainly beats shutting down the program to switch!

I did a little "try to break it" testing and the only thing I notice is if on Acct #1 you have "stay logged in" checked and then sign out to switch, that is not maintained for #1. That is probably on purpose but I kinda expected to tell it to stay logged in to #1 and then if I go to #2 and then back to #1 it would remember I wanted to stay logged in to acct #1. Just a thought... certainly not anything broken.

Thanks for working so hard to come out with a new release so quickly. The stability will be much appreciated.

So the "stay logged in" is basically unchecked when you sign out. The idea for it is if you quit the app and launch it again. You can stay logged in, or if unchecked, whenever you quit, you'll be asked to log in again. We don't remember the preference when you come back. We're thinking thinking it's better to ask you to login one more time, than to launch with you still logged in. This is especially true if you are on a shared computer (which is where a lot of the account switching requests come from).

I forgot to add, you can sign out from the Account Info window (Evernote >> Account Info, or the Account button on the main Toolbar).

Also, if anyone is wondering, your files are still available in the file system. If there are privacy or security concerns about that, you would use separate users in the operating system.

• Level 5*

Upgraded, app restarted and asked me to login - now it's downloading all my notes very slowly.

Data folder now has 2 folders:

username

username@email-address.com

Not sure if this is correct or not? Guess I'll find out when the sync completes...

You know, that makes sense. If I am logged into #1 with Stay Logged In checked and switch to #2, and log out it shouldn't automatically log me in as #1. That's why I don't like testing - it puts one in a mindset that's not necessarily "real world". :) Well done with the account switching!

New functionality is nice, but it still suffers from an old problem. I have a MacBook Pro, mid-2010 2.8GHz i7 with the Nvidia GeForce graphics processor. As soon as EN starts, it turns on the graphics processor. This really dials up the power consumption and kills my battery. To get battery life for a long flight I have to shut down EN which sort of defeats having a Premium account and offline notes. Even Photoshop doesn't start the graphics processor on startup so I'm sure EN doesn't need it either.

Could you please ask a programmer to check this out and quit turning on the graphics processor when it's not needed? Much appreciated.

New functionality is nice, but it still suffers from an old problem. I have a MacBook Pro, mid-2010 2.8GHz i7 with the Nvidia GeForce graphics processor. As soon as EN starts, it turns on the graphics processor. This really dials up the power consumption and kills my battery. To get battery life for a long flight I have to shut down EN which sort of defeats having a Premium account and offline notes. Even Photoshop doesn't start the graphics processor on startup so I'm sure EN doesn't need it either.

Could you please ask a programmer to check this out and quit turning on the graphics processor when it's not needed? Much appreciated.

• Level 5*

(1) Multiple Accounts

(2) Sharing a Notebook

• Level 5*

Mine finally sync'd up overnight and Evernote looks OK - still have two folders inside my Accounts folder (not data as I said incorrectly above).

Searches for items with underscores/underbars remain broken :angry:

Mine finally sync'd up overnight and Evernote looks OK - still have two folders inside my Accounts folder (not data as I said incorrectly above).

Did you have to re-down sync everything? Or is this an account that you just added to your machine? Notes should migrate over on upgrade.

I had this experience too (and it seems at least one other user also did). For me it wasn't exactly like a clean sync from zero, but it was not the migration that has happened when I've updated in the past. As with Metrodon's, my account took a long time to collect notes (at least over an hour, and maybe more; I was away from the computer for most of the time). That long part, though I don't remember exactly what the dialog box said, came after the usual "Migrating notes" dialog box.

Yeah I suspect this is all the same issue where the migration doesn't happen (or doesn't complete successfully). Will discuss and try to diagnose

When scanning into Evernote, this version, using Scansnap s300m, growls says it's clipped to Evernote but can't find it anywhere. Usually it goes to my inbox but can't even see it from all notebooks. I can drop the scan into a new note and it appears.

Confidence is wavering here a bit...

I have notes that are appearing in the 'wrong' notebook...

Could you PM me with some details about the wrong notebook one? Overall, you're definitely seeing way too many issues for me to feel comfortable and I'm not sure if that's cuz you use Evernote more than average or if there's something with your account or setup

When scanning into Evernote, this version, using Scansnap s300m, growls says it's clipped to Evernote but can't find it anywhere. Usually it goes to my inbox but can't even see it from all notebooks. I can drop the scan into a new note and it appears.

Looking into it, thanks for posting.

Did you have to re-down sync everything? Or is this an account that you just added to your machine? Notes should migrate over on upgrade.

Evernote has quit unexpectedly 3 times since I downloaded this version.

In fairness to this version, I was having infrequent unexpected quits previously, but it may have escalated now.

Rol

Please PM me activity logs. Don't know if it is related to this beta, but will try to look into it

This issue from Beta 1 is resolved. Thanx.

This latest version broke the link with Reeder app. Every time I try to send an article from Reeder to Evernote I get a “database error” message.

One of our engineers uses Reeder & Evernote together, so we quickly had a volunteer to fix that bug. :)

One thing that deverill has pointed out in PMs to me is that if you try to switch accounts in the middle of a sync, all sorts of weird things seem to happen.

In the next release we should stop you from being able to sign in until we've been able to stop syncs and other processes acting on the account you just signed out of. That should solve the root cause of several issues.

In the mean time, please be careful about signing out if there is a sync going on. This is also true if there's any indexing, note migrating, batch tagging, batch deleting, etc.

It works. I thought the syncing was finished because the notification window disappeared. I shut down and reopened Evernote and when the sync notification came up I didn't touch it until it was done.

It works. I thought the syncing was finished because the notification window disappeared. I shut down and reopened Evernote and when the sync notification came up I didn't touch it until it was done.

Ah great. Thanks for letting us know!

• Level 5*

Ah great. Thanks for letting us know!

Any word on shared notebooks (ones we have joined)? They don't seem to have synced since I downloaded the beta. Deleting and joining doesn't solve the problem.

I've tried this a few times and I can't get it to happen. I'll see if our official QA team has any more luck than me just mucking around

I had this experience too (and it seems at least one other user also did). For me it wasn't exactly like a clean sync from zero, but it was not the migration that has happened when I've updated in the past. As with Metrodon's, my account took a long time to collect notes (at least over an hour, and maybe more; I was away from the computer for most of the time). That long part, though I don't remember exactly what the dialog box said, came after the usual "Migrating notes" dialog box.

Archived