Group account for collaboration on commemorative book

pb33

Hi there,

My organization would like to produce a commemorative book for our upcoming 100th anniversary. I am contemplating on opening a group account for the purpose of collaborating on this project. If one is created, I see how group members are invited and accepted, however; I have some questions:

• What is the annual cost for a group account? (Couldn't find this on your website)
  • How best would you advise organizing Evernote for a project of this nature? Notebooks or tags? We know that we want to organize the research by decade and within each decade to have folders or notebooks or tags for people, places and things.
  • I don't understand what a "stack" is? Do we have to be concerned by the amount of data we would accumulate for a project of this nature?
  • What are the risks in loosing or having members inadvertently delete notebooks or notes.
  • Does anyone have examples of a project of this nature using Evernote?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums, pb33. In response to your questions, in order:

• There's no such thing as a group account. You can get a single account that you all share (the cost of which, for premium, is $5 a month or $45 a year), or you can each have individual sponsored accounts, which each have the same cost (their only benefit is that one person takes care of the payment, not that there's a discount). [EDIT: I now see that large groups do get discounts: $3.75 a month per account (per user) for groups of 3-99 users, and $2.50 a month per account (per user) for groups of 100+.]
  • If you give us more specific information about your project, we can give more specific advice. My instinct, here as always, is to encourage you to use few notebooks and many more tags. The important thing to realize is that notebooks are discrete containers of notes: No note can be in two notebooks, searches can only search individual notebooks or your entire accounts, etc. Tags, however, are simply labels that can be applied as necessary to any notes. Thus, notebooks are much more limiting—though they can be helpful at times. You should, however, generally only use notebooks if you are putting into them notes that definitely do not and can not belong to any other notebook. Does that make sense?
  • A stack is just a notebook that contains other notebooks. This can be useful for some hierarchical organization and for searches. (For example, if you have notebooks A-Z, you cannot search two notebooks together unless you put those two notebooks into one stack and then search the upper-level notebook, the stack notebook.) Note that stacks can only be one level deep, meaning you cannot stack stacks on top of stacks.
    • As to your question about data in the same bullet point, I'm not sure I understand. How did you think the amount of data is related to stacks? The only reasons to be careful about how much data you're pointing into Evernote are (a) your data upload limits (60 MB per month for free users; 1 GB per month for premium users, with the option to buy additional space at 1 GB per month more for $5 more), and (b ) your ability to organize, keep track of, and find your data when you need it.

[*]That risk exists. The risk with notes isn't very great, since an individual deleted note will end up in the trash, where it can easily be recovered. (If, however, a user permanently deletes a note that is already in the trash, it's gone for good. And note that some clients have no warning when moving notes to trash, meaning that can be done with one click.) With notebooks, however, the risk is a bit greater, because of compliction. Whenever a user tries to delete a notebook in any client (Windows, Mac, web, mobile, etc.), she will see a pop-up warning her of what she is doing, something along the lines of, "Are you sure you want to delete the notebook 'Notebook X'? Any notes in this notebook will be moved to the Trash. This operation cannot be undone." If she then clicks yes, however, the notebook is permanently gone and all the notes are moved to the trash. The only way the notes can be recovered is by moving them out of the trash—but that has to be done one by one, and they will not automatically go back into the notebook they were in, since that notebook is gone.

[*]I'd need more information to know what a project of this nature is. Personally, though, I haven't used Evernote to collaborate, since, despite all its strengths, right now collaboration is not one of them. If you want to know why I (and some other users) feel that way, search the forums for "collaborat*" to see past discussions, and feel free to ask us for more information about this.

Good luck with the project.

I explained sponsored accounts to my boss like this: "It is MY Evernote account, you just get to pay for it". :) He does anyway but the sponsored account would save him some cash since there are 7 of us using it.

Something to keep in mind that my boss pointed out is that if you have a premium account and sign on to the sponsored accounts you will lose your original time and it will be for 1 year from the sponsorship. I'm sure this is to avoid an accounting nightmare and to have all accounts come due at the same time but it is important to note if you have anyone that's already an Evernote user.

• Level 5*

My organization would like to produce a commemorative book for our upcoming 100th anniversary. I am contemplating on opening a group account for the purpose of collaborating on this project.

Evernote is not really a collaboration tool -- it is more like a "sharing-lite" tool.

So, it may, or may not, work for your purposes. Only you can decide.

Here is a post I made previously to highlight the sharing limitations of Evernote:

You may want to look elsewhere for collaboration software.

I don't think Evernote sharing is ready for mission critical collaboration:

1. It's really was added as an after-thought to support personal sharing
  2. EN does NOT provide any type of notifications when notes are added/changed
  3. There is very limited control over permissions: It's either read-only or everything (including delete)
  4. There is no way to determined who created/edited the note
  5. Numerous sync/conflict issues have been reported

You may want to review the following:

Having said all that, Evernote may still work for your purpose. Just don't expect the features of a dedicated collaboration app.

In terms of organizing, I think for your purposes tags would be a smarter way to go.

You can create a tag for each decade (and for that matter each year if you like), but because a note can have more than one tag, you can also tag a note with a person's name, a research project or any other item you would like to track.

This will enable you to quickly bring all of one person's contributions even if they span more than one decade, but still be able to bring up one decade as a separate search and include that person.

Archived